Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

ClaytoAli

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It's also possible, the Skins go on a slide and don't win another game. Frankly, even if this team makes the playoffs Gruden needs to go.

To each their own, I respect your choice... If we do win the division and host a playoff game I don't see why he should go... And you're exactly right it is very possible we don't win another game.. because I am a REALISTIC I envision this happening.. leading to a complete house cleaning by Snyder... But I'm going to stay on the positive side that the refs pull their head out of their ass start calling fair games and we win the division.

Just now, Burgold said:

If we fire the HC, I think it ought to be a tag team deal. Bruce has been here almost a decade and while I do like our last two drafts... that’s too long a period of incompetence. 

I dont want an Ernie Grunfield situation with the ‘skins. Now, I wouldn’t be totally against in house FO promotions, but if one goes both should go. 

I very much agree with this.  Truly, Bruce should be gone either way, but you can't fire Jay and let Bruce stay.  If Jay goes, Bruce definitely needs to go!

7 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

No way man.. our defense is going to come out pissed off and play insane... 3 1/2 turnovers in the first half..book it!

They've sucked for four straight weeks. Why should I expect any different next week?

And unless I'm missing something, how do we get 3.5 turnovers LOL?!

Just now, hail2skins said:

They've sucked for four straight weeks. Why should I expect any different next week?

And unless I'm missing something, how do we get 3.5 turnovers LOL?!

Well..56% of the time it works every time..kinda like that lol.. someone in the upper brass is going to slam their fists down on greg m and the d will turn it around..this mini by is going to help tremendously..

If Gruden can win the next 3 games and that would give him 9 wins and we should be able to grab a WC game. That would be pretty good with all the injuries. If he can win 4 out of 5 and take the division he should stay. If we collapse then mabe it is time for a change. I do not know the guys name but the OC for the Bears has been mentioned on sports radio NY as a god canadate for HC somewhere. Cheers.

And I personally think this thread was started way to soon in the season..we have not got to that point folks..even if we lose a prime time game in Philly and the saints beat the cowboys we're still tied for first place in the division... But I believe we come out and get the win in Philly.. because God damn it we know we can win in primetime.. this thread isn't warranted for at least a few more weeks...and on the other hand..and because I am a REALISTIC when the cowboys beat the saints..yes ya heard it hear..it happened a few years ago acctualy..and we beat Philly, the fight for first place will get hotter...and we end up facing the cowboys in a third matchup setting up the greatest playoff game between the biggest rivalries in the game... Stay positive on the season folks..

53 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The myth of the players responding to Jay really rubs against the reality of how often the team comes out flat and unprepared. 

I think the players, by and large, like Jay, but do they really fight for him, dig in, and do all the extra work and prep not on game days required?

Do the players respond to him? Do they respect him? I’m not sure. I’m conflicted. 

Yep..big myth..they like him because he lets the the inmates run the asylum,...I suspect this is why DJ has a problem.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Nah...write this down...Colt McCoy 300+ plus yards on a broken down Philly secondary..doctson goes off has almost 200 yards receiving and we start a nice run to win the division and all this next head coach talk will disappear..

You're being overly optimistic.  Doctson, 200 yards, LOL.  He can't even sniff a 100 yard game.  Gruden, the Skins, and MNF are never a good mix.  Get ready for a massive implosion.  The real Skins have shown up and that 6-3 team was a mirage.

The only way Jay is not here next year is if we don't win another game.  The likelihood is we finish 8-8 at least and just as with last year we can easily point to the rash of injuries and ****ty officiating as costing us a game or two.  I don't say that makes Jay a great HC but it is likely good enough given that he clearly has a good relationship with the FO and with the Owner.

Next year will be the test.  Jay will be entering his final year and I don't see another extension without a playoff win.  We need a QB too and the likely draft to find that guy is 2020 as the 2019 crop is all world bad.  The symmetry of new coach, new QB in 2020 is likely to appeal to Dan.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

If they dont have a new coach/GM combo, will it really make a difference?  This team has a talent problem more than a coaching problem, IMHO.  

Oh they have a coaching problem too. Gruden isn't awful but when he didn't go for two on our final touchdown that told me right there he lacks the basic analytical skills that I'd want in a head coach. The Redskins needed a field goal and 2 TDs to tie as long was we got a 2 pt conversion on one of the the TDs. Now a weak analyst would say we could wait for the 2d td to go for it.  Nope you go for it on the first because if you don't make it then you have the information to decide not to go for a field goal at all. 

Ie look at yesterdays situation 4th and goal we went for the field goal which was the right decision at that point then we get the onside kick and miraculously score the TD but miss the 2 pt conversion and we lose the game.

If we had gone for the 2 Pt conversion earlier and missed we'd would have taken a shot into the endzone on that 4th and goal.  Bottom-line by not going for the 2pts with the first TD statistically it reduced our chances of winning.

If Gruden is still the coach next year, Dan will see an even less filled fedex and Norman and Co will hear be able to hear the boos even clearer.

We seem to be the only franchise left that thinks it takes 5-6 years for a coach to turn a team around.  It's as if Snyder cant see what other teams are able to do.  Or more probably, he doesnt care.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

No way man.. our defense is going to come out pissed off and play insane... 3 1/2 turnovers in the first half..book it!

Are you forgetting this is going to be a Monday night game? We could be playing the 49ers or Cards and we'd still lose. Monday games are almost certain automatic losses for Redskins. 

GM candidates

Will McClay - assistant director of player personnel - Cowboys (True Scout)

Lionel Vital - director of college scouting - Cowboys (True Scout) *college based

Scott Fitterer - co-director of player personnel - Seahawks (True Scout) *college based

Dan Colbert - college/pro scout - Steelers 

Phil Kreidler - college scouting coordinator - Steelers 

Reggie McKenzie - current general manager - Raiders (True Scout) *He'll be out at the end of the season. 

Martin Mayhew - senior personnel exec - 49ers (x)

Eliot Wolf - assistant general manager - Browns (Exec, Suit) 

In-House candidate:

20 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

GM candidates

Will McClay - assistant director of player personnel - Cowboys (True Scout)

I talked about McClay some a year back when I thought Bruce might actually be serious when there was this alleged search for a new personnel guy.  Surprisingly, Bruce came to the conclusion that the organization would be better served if he remains in charge of personnel but we'd get excited by demoting Scott Campbell and then reshuffling the rest of the front office under the leadership of our fearless leader, Bruce Allen. 😎

For all of Jerry's bad instincts over the years.  McClay has quietly turned the Cowboys into an operation that kicks butt as to personnel especially in the draft.  As much as we celebrate here weeks ago about how we've turned the corner from having a bad defense into a great one -- we are learning that it ain't so.  The Cowboys on the other hand indeed turned a bad defense into a great one. 

Having said that, he turned down offers last year so wonder if this is like Decosta in Baltimore where no one can pry him away.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/1/11/16877664/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-cowboys-personnel-guru-will-mcclay

In 2016, Will McClay declined an interview for the vacant GM position in Detroit. Last year, per Todd Archer of ESPN Dallas, “a few teams reached out to McClay about potentially interviewing for their general-manager or personnel-chief vacancies,” but McClay ultimately declined all interviews. This year, the Texans showed interest in interviewing McClay for their vacant GM Position, but McClay declined once more.

The interest in McClay by other teams speaks to his track record in the drafts he's been responsible for, but also in quality of free agents he's been able to land over the years.

But for the Cowboys, he has an even more important role than “just” that of a personnel guru. Mike Fisher of CBS DFW calls him a “unifier”.

If Dallas loses McClay, what would they be really losing?

In addition to being the “scouting guru,’’ as he’s often labeled, he is a unifier between ownership, coaching staff, scouting department and even the locker room. Does the coaching staff (i.e. Rod Marinelli) often enter the draft room and win an argument that conflicts with the board McClay built? Yes. Does coach Jason Garrett’s staff sometimes have a different vision for the mold of a player than McClay? Yes.

Do the Joneses sometimes want things that McClay doesn’t want?

Yes. Of course. But these aren’t “problems” because of the way Will McClay brings all the wings of the building together. He is more than a scout, more than a coach, more than an ex-player. He’s “The Unifier.” That should really be Will McClay’s title with the Dallas Cowboys.

And Jason Garrett gave a very similar description to Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning Newstwo years ago.

“Will does a really good job facilitating all of that communication and making sure we’re all on the same page about how we see the player and what his role will be and that’s invaluable. Making sure everyone is aligned is critical and communicating, overcommunicating, challenging each other, that’s all part of the personnel process, and he does a really good job in his role.”

https://theboysareback.wordpress.com/tag/will-mcclay-pro-scouting-department/

True Blue Dallas Cowboy fans want to know more about Will McClay, and they should.

He’s the assistant director of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, a role that he took on before the team left for Oxnard before the 2013 season.

It was a nice promotion for a guy that is extremely hard working and prepared. What is different about McClay from the other guys that have sat in that chair, is that his background is more on the pro side of the ball. Guys like Larry Lacewell, Jeff Ireland, and Tom Ciskowski were guys that went on the road to scout the college players.

What’s to like about this change for the front office and coaches, is that McClay knows this league backwards and forwards. One of the key component in building your 53 man roster is knowing who you are playing. College scouts are outstanding at telling you about that safety at Florida State but very few of them can tell you who is lining up there for the Washington Redskins.

His strengths are an old school belief in the toughness of your team, along with speed but his best trait is understanding how this league is about matchups. He has a keen understanding of how you find players that can handle the quickness out of the slot against the Giants or the edge rushers in Seattle or the offensive power of the 49ers.

To McClay it’s about winning your division first, then working from there. With McClay, you will not have a mixed matched squad. Each player will have a specific role and assignment on why they are part of the roster and he’s able to merge that with the other members of the front office. Communication is extremely important to him. 

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Step 1: Get Bruce Allen out of the loop. 

I believe that's what many around don't get.

You can fire Gruden, if Bruce remains on top and we don't get a working structure above our HC. It's not gonna work.

You can bring in here Saban, the Harbaughes, or every en vogue OC or DC, and it'll be the same **** show all year long.

How do you think they would like it if the President traded a young start and a pick for a QB without telling anyone, including the director of Pro Personnel and the HC?

Those 3 guys above wouldn't be talking pretty.

I don't think we should forget that a few new faces were brought in to help put butts in seats... Brian Lafemina being one of them.  It will not take long for those suits to be going to Dan Snyder saying... if you really want to make a difference, a change is in order, and Bruce Allen's name is near the top of that list.  If they're truly doing their due diligence of reaching out to former and current season ticket holders, as well as trying to get the pulse of the fanbase, i'm sure there is no shortage of people pointing directly at Ashburn with their reasoning.   

Archived