Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Texans Prediction Thread: Pessimistically Optimistic?

skins island connection

Who wins ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this defensive showdown ?

There's no way that Philthy can beat the Saints.

Dallas won't beat the Falcons.

The Redskins have a chance to go up by 3 games. So, we'll probably blow an opportunity as history has shown over these past 20 or so years. Regardless, I'm going with the home team. The offense shows up despite injuries and a season of ineffectiveness and scores 4 TD's. The D scores as well.

Skins: 35

Oilers oops, Texans: 17

On 11/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, skins island connection said:

I wanna see if Manusky actually realizes the Texans QB will run, and has someone to mirror Watson to ensure he doesn't get an easy time with it.

But I suspect the worst; Watson will end up running all over the place, getting numerous first downs by himself, while everyone watching the game wonders why someone isn't put in to at least try and slow that down. The game could get out of reach before that happens, and then its just too late.

Please no more "almost sacks" where the QB somehow slips out and runs for 15 yards. So frustrating. 

I've predicted a win every game but one this year but on this one I couldn't find a rationale the more I thought about it for a victory.

Texans don't typically turn the ball over

Texans are really good against the run -- including stopping Peterson last year

Their vulnerability is the deep ball 

A banged up, false start happy Morgan Moses versus JJ Watt.

Either a 9 fingered Trent or a banged up Ty against Clowney

So I'll land on the law of opposites to get past all of that.  When things seem so tilted the other way, its bound to go the opposite way.

Redskins 21 Texans 20.

14 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Whatever happens, have to hope Atlanta takes care of Dallas. I'd hate to go to dallas for what could be a game for first place in the division again. I want to enjoy my meal and actually have the chance to let it digest if at all possible. 

I know I’m in the minority, but the Dallas game is the most important of the season.  I’d rather lose this weekend and get a L outta the way and beat Dallas on Thursday.

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I know I’m in the minority, but the Dallas game is the most important of the season.  I’d rather lose this weekend and get a L outta the way and beat Dallas on Thursday.

Every game is important, but I get what you're saying. It would be the Redskins way to collapse this second half of the season.

Losing to the Texans would suck but not the end of the world; losing to Dallas on turkey day and this team will lose all hopes of the division, as Dallas will have grabbed momentum as well as that damned 'Skip Brainless' will be beaming with glory, non-stop boasting.

So this Texans game IMO is important; it will give them some self confidence that they can go up against a good team and win, but with the laundry list of injuries it will be difficult. Gruden will have to game plan the **** out of this if there's any hopes.

ESPN guys on it

http://www.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/25293860/week-11-nfl-betting-guide-best-bets-picks-advice-all-sunday-games-including-steelers-jaguars

chalk_wsh.png?w=110&h=110

Houston Texans (-3) at Washington Redskins

Total: 42.5
PickCenter public consensus pick: 66 percent picked Houston

Johnson: I wrote about the Redskins game in Week 10 in my column this past Tuesday. If readers don't already know the intent of this section, I dive into more details within the box score to get a better understanding of the whole story a football game can tell us.

The point: Tampa Bay gained 503 yards, 29 first downs and had five trips to the red zone, while Washington gained 286 yards, 15 first downs and made just two trips to the red zone. Yet, the Redskins won the game 16-3. It could be argued that Washington has been the luckiest team in football to this point in the season. You know how hard it is to gain over 500 yards on offense, drive your way into the opponent's red zone on five separate occasions, and score only three points?

The Redskins simply aren't a very good football team. Their record says they are 6-3 and they sit atop the NFC East, but they have a point differential this season of +1. They rank 26th in the NFL in offensive efficiency and 21st in defense.

My feeling is that people will see the 6-3 Redskins getting three points at home and think it's too good to be true. Washington's record and turnover margin, however, are too good to be true. Don't get caught up buying in.

Pick: Pass

Sharp: The 6-3 Redskins have won four of their past five games, but most of them have come against terrible defenses. In Washington's past six games, it has faced defenses that rank 32nd, 31st, 28th, 27th, 24th and 19th. The past two weeks, against the two worst defenses in the NFL, they gained just 286 total yards against the Bucs and 366 total yards against the Falcons. Now they must face the Texans' No. 3 defense, by far the best unit Washington has faced all year.

Houston's defense is likely not as good as it has looked, as the Texans have played the NFL's easiest schedule of opposing offenses. Their offense should look good, though, because they are one of the most run-heavy teams in the league and are facing a Redskins defense that ranks 28th against the run. Houston's passing game is fully healthy as well, and the Texans, off a bye, should be in a great position to perform on the road. At this number, though, I'll pass.

Pick: Pass

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

ESPN guys on it

http://www.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/25293860/week-11-nfl-betting-guide-best-bets-picks-advice-all-sunday-games-including-steelers-jaguars

Their offense should look good, though, because they are one of the most run-heavy teams in the league and are facing a Redskins defense that ranks 28th against the run.

I've read this before, the bold part..where are the Skins ranked 28th against the run?

5 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Every game is important, but I get what you're saying. It would be the Redskins way to collapse this second half of the season.

Losing to the Texans would suck but not the end of the world; losing to Dallas on turkey day and this team will lose all hopes of the division, as Dallas will have grabbed momentum as well as that damned 'Skip Brainless' will be beaming with glory, non-stop boasting.

So this Texans game IMO is important; it will give them some self confidence that they can go up against a good team and win, but with the laundry list of injuries it will be difficult. Gruden will have to game plan the **** out of this if there's any hopes.

One thing that has me hopeful though about our chances to win the division Vs the eagles or cowboys is that even if Dallas does beat us Thursday, they face the saints that following Thursday. Hopefully the saints can beat Philly tomorrow and then Dallas the week after thanksgiving. 

IF Dallas loses tomorrow and then beats us then loses to the saints that puts them at 5-7

Philly plays the saints tomorrow then the giants next Sunday. I think they go 1-1 over those two, putting them at 5-6 heading into the MNF game Vs us. 

If we end up losing these two games, we’d be 6-5 going into MNF. Split with Philly and i think that will be enough to win the division.

This is a must win for the Skins. You guys have a chance to bury the rest of the division. If you win that's huge since Dallas plays a tough road game vs Atlanta and Philly should lose in the big Easy. They both will be 4-6 and you guys will be 7-3 with a Win. That almost seals the East in the Skins favor.

43 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

This is a must win for the Skins. You guys have a chance to bury the rest of the division. If you win that's huge since Dallas plays a tough road game vs Atlanta and Philly should lose in the big Easy. They both will be 4-6 and you guys will be 7-3 with a Win. That almost seals the East in the Skins favor.

All of this is true.

But it's not a must win.

Winning Sunday will definitely take some pressure off of the rest of the season considering there is still 4 division games left over the final seven.  

Saints are going to win.

Dallas could fall into a great performance and beat the Falcons, but I am still favoring the Falcons in that one.

7-3

4-6

4-6

Giants

If the division looks like that after Sunday?  It buys this team some time.

The way I see the rest of the season is that the 'Skins are one of those teems teetering on the brink of getting good or falling mediocre.   This team has got to 6-3 without much of a passing offense at all.  If by somehow, someway that aspect of the offense develops at all, things could start looking a lot nicer.  On the other hand, if the passing game continues to struggle, stays neutral, or even gets worse looking?  The final month of the season is going to be tough scheme-wise.

EDIT: Oh and Marshall has been activated off of IR.  Does that mean he is suiting up Sunday?

7 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

Who has Houston beaten in their 6 game winning streak that's any good? They haven't beaten anyone over .500 in that winning streak. The best team they have beaten is Dallas and they barely squeaked that one out 19-16 at home. Washington will be ready at home to beat them.

I was looking at the same thing and after seeing they've not played heavy competition, I went back and watched some replays.  They're basically playing by a similar formula as the Skins.  I said this was a Pick'em game and the difference being that HOU is coming off a bye and the Skins don't play well at home.  Texans are 16-3 off the BYE.  It's still a Pick'em, however the X-Factor for me is that the Skins second half scoring has ticked forward over the last couple of games. Both teams seem to win as they get out in front.  I view it as a game that may require the Skins to come from behind in order to win.  If they do that, they'll take a step forward that's more significant for the season then any other game.  If not, they'll take such a major step backwards that they'll likely struggle to recover and make a Playoff bid. 

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I've read this before, the bold part..where are the Skins ranked 28th against the run?

Yeah, I'm having hard time understanding how a team that gave up 

and only gave up more than 105 yards rushing once, could possibly be ranked 28th in rushing defense, by any measure.

Archived