Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Texans Prediction Thread: Pessimistically Optimistic?

skins island connection

Who wins ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this defensive showdown ?

When: Sunday November 18th 1:00 p.m. noon central 10:00 pacific { Monday morning China time }

Where: FedEx Field Landover Md.

{ Just a little side note not pertaining to the game, Stan Lee, the vision behind the Marvel Universe, has passed away at the age of 95. He will be missed. RIP. }

Pessimistically optimistic. I think that describes my feelings, or is it the other way around? My glass is half full or half empty? Maybe its just me not being used to seeing my beloved Redskins in FIRST PLACE at this juncture in the season. But i'll take it regardless!

This Sunday, the Redskins welcome the Houston Texans to 'throw down' in FedEx Field.  Both the Texans and the Redskins are in first place in their divisions with teams looking to catch up and overtake the lead. With the brief Texans history, the series against them is 2-2, with Houston winning the last 2.

The Texans come off a bye week, fresh and ready, after beating the Broncos in Denver 19-17.

The Texans offense is 16th in points, 14th in yds, 18th in pass yds and 11th in rush yds. Not great but not bad, pretty much middle of the pack.

The Texans defense is 7th in points, 9th in yds, 15th in pass yds and 6th in rush yds. This is a bit more troublesome.

No, wait; this is ALOT more troublesome.

The Texans D-line consists of JJ Watt, Clowney and Mercilus, and their motors don't have an off switch. They get after the QB, disrupt timing and stuff the run pretty darn good. They can take over a game by themselves. This will be 'THE' test for whoever is lining up on the Redskins O-line.

Offensively, one of the problems will be containing Deshaun Watson from breaking off huge chunks of yardage scrambling, and he has wheels. His passing accuracy is ok, not great, but when you have a DeAndre Hopkins, it makes things a little easier.

This past Sunday, the Redskins traveled down to Tampa Bay to take on the Buccaneers, and scoring-wise, shut them down, winning 16-3, but not before being part of history, by allowing over 500 yds of offense yet yielding only 3 points; I think something was said about this not happening since the early 1960s?

The Redskins defense kept the Bucs out of the endzone all game, picking off 'the bearded wonder' 2 times and pressuring him all game. Norman and Stroman got the picks, while Smith and Ioannidis got the sacks, with the help of Allen and the rest of the d-line. One of the best textbook strips I've ever seen was when Ryan Anderson punched the ball out, sending it 20 yds in the air into the endzone for a touchback.

Offensively, it was more of the same. Ball control, no turnovers, 19-27 for 178 yds and 1 TD, but it was that score that opened up the game for the Redskins, as Doctson caught  the touchdown near the back of the endzone line, thus putting more pressure on the Bucs after battling with a 6-3 lead.

Adrian Peterson had a ho-hum day, but no fumbles lost, and he had a few bursts which really helps take some of the heat off the receivers. There was a Capri Bibbs sighting, and he has his own style, and speed, getting some nice runs in.

D.J. Swearinger, a former Texan, will be looking forward to playing against his old team; he has been pretty solid at safety, and a great addition to a secondary that some thought would not be a functioning unit this season.

Ok, the game.

Both teams' strength is their defense and their abilities to stifle opponents. The one issue the Redskins defense will have to deal with is a mobile and agile QB who isn't afraid to take off running, but they've dealt with Cam Newton so they have some experience; lets just hope Manusky has a spy for this guy because he can and will take off.

Offensively the Texans are not scoring machines but they do have that 1 great playmaker in Hopkins, and he can create problems for defenses, so the secondary will have to be weary of this guy.

The Redskins offense operates much better when the rushing game is working. Peterson will have his hands full dealing with the Texans d-line, so kicking it outside will negate the speed rush the Texans are known for. Alex Smith will need to be on his toes and protect the ball; the Texans d-line is good at jarring the ball out and look to sack the QB on every single play. The re-vamped patchwork Redskins O-line did a surprisingly good job against the Bucs, but this Texans defensive line is a horse of a different color.

Look for a somewhat low scoring game. turnovers will be the likely tell of who wins this battle. FGs will be the likely scoring from both sides.

When the dust settles and the ground stops shaking from the hits,

the Redskins come up a little short, and the groundskeeper will be pulling his hair out.

Final Score:

Redskins 9

Texans 13

First correct score prediction wins a new Redskins beanie [ and a few other goodies ]

Good luck and as always   G  O    R  E  D  S  K  I  N  S !!!

We are truly in bizarro world right now with this team. 

It was entirely reasonable to expect the Bucs to wipe the floor with us with that offense and they didnt.  I really hate our offense, but I'm starting to notice something that might protect us when we go up against offense that can go up and down the field on us: redzone defense

As long as we hold high power offenses to fgs instead of tds much as possible, i don't care what happens between the 20s. Our turnover differential is straight nasty, if anything we saw how much short fields can help a struggling offense.

I don't trust this offense to win us games, but i trust this defense to.  Shoutout to special teams.

19-16 Redskins

If the Redskins found it hard to move the ball effectively and score TD’s Vs the Bucs I don’t know how the hell they put up enough points to beat Houston coming off a bye.  That Texans DL should feast on the banged up Skins OL and keep Alex Smith with happy feet in the pocket all game.  It truly depends on if the Skins can slow down Watson and force turnovers.  Houston hasn’t beaten any world beaters during their 6 game streak but I think Watson is getting on a role and he can light you up.  Skins going to need to be able to keep Watson off the field and sustain drives by running the ball against a very good defensive front.  I can’t see the Redskins exploiting Houston so I’m going to say final Houston 27 Redskins 13.

2 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

We beat a damn good Panthers team, then who else?  Please don't bring up a handicapped Rodgers led GB team.  They are far from being a good team when he is injured.

You act like he was in a wheelchair, he was not, he still threw for 265 yards against our defense.  That is still a good team, one i don't want to play again.

I think Finlay reported that Crowder was getting another MRI today, and wouldn't practice until Thursday at the earliest, so we'll see on him.

The Texans have had big O-line issues most of the season. Watson gets hit more than any other QB in the league, but it doesn't translate into turnovers as much as I would have thought. Still, they're almost top 10 in giveaways. Hopefully, the Skins can scheme something up and take advantage of that. They're kind of weird, because it doesn't seem like they try to compensate for O-line deficiencies with their play calling. They still try to get longer developing plays and chuck it deep a lot. I guess because Watson is so mobile. They also lost Will Fuller opposite Hopkins, so maybe that changes that some. If I ever come in here and predict a win (usually late in the week), we lose in abysmal fashion, so I'm going to say the Texans win 21-20 and try to reverse jinx this thing right away.

The Texans started off slow, but are on a 6 game winning streak AND coming off a bye. Meanwhile, we loose another offensive lineman for the year. And have to do something about Clowney and Watt and Mercilus with guys coming off the streets.

Doesn't sound good to me.

Texans - 24

'Skins - 13

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You act like he was in a wheelchair, he was not, he still threw for 265 yards against our defense.  That is still a good team, one i don't want to play again.

I wouldn't want to play them again either, because he's healthy.  They are good now. We struggled against other qbs who aren't near his level of play when he's healthy.  His injured leg had him running slow, missing easy passes he normally makes in his sleep.  Hey that's not our fault that he played injured, we took advantage of his inability to do what he is capable of doing when healthy.

But let's not sit here like we dominated him at his best a couple of weeks ago.  That's not true, but the win is a win.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

.500 isn't usually considered "good" unless it's a batting average. as far as wins go, it's not "good". It's average.

Nobody used the word good though. @Renegade7 only said “2-1 against teams at or above .500 right now”. 4-4-1 is at or above .500 hence, 2-1 (wins against panthers and packers) and loss to the saints.

The Redskins have to be the most unpredictable team in the league when it comes to winning and losing, but as far as how they play their games, they are super predictable and consistent.

In other words, I don't see alex and the WRs suddenly lighting it up for this one.  I do see them controlling the ball and kicking a lot of field goals.  They should find a way around that texans d line between the 20s.  

Then it's on defense, and they will do what they do - contain the run, contain the qb for the most part, and the big play downfield will decide the game.  It's on the secondary and pass rush to either cover/bat those balls down or force Watson into a panic/turnover.

SHOULD be a pretty good game, if you're into defensive low scoring battles.  This team hasn't showed they can put up the big points, and I don't see that happening this Sunday, if at all this year.

Our formula works, again, just barely:

Redskins 20

Texans 14

We prepare for our hearts to sink as the texans drive for a winning score all the way to the redzone and the defense says NOPE on 4th down.  

6 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I wouldn't want to play them again either, because he's healthy.  They are good now. We struggled against other qbs who aren't near his level of play when he's healthy.  His injured leg had him running slow, missing easy passes he normally makes in his sleep.  Hey that's not our fault that he played injured, we took advantage of his inability to do what he is capable of doing when healthy.

But let's not sit here like we dominated him at his best a couple of weeks ago.  That's not true, but the win is a win.

I didn't say we dominated him don't put words in my mouth. We won, ive seen him less then 100% set people on fire anyway and he didn't do that to us.  Defense was also keeping people from getting behind us and we had 28 points at half.  Why do we keep making excuses for how we beat them, that was a solid team and we won.  They were solid then they are solid now and we won, let it go, please.

Archived