Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

Manusky is now 1 step closer to running a 4-6.

But I agree with others in saying a good WR was more needed than anything else.

Just 1 GOOD WR would open up so much for Smith that it would be nearly impossible to not creating a more dynamic offense.

I hear what you're saying, but I'd add that it takes time to develop chemistry with a WR.  Adding a WR mid-season doesn't give you full disclosure of what you've got unless the QB to WR match hits it off from the onset.  I think the stronger counter to that is to do what the Skins have done.  It's easier to break up a deep pass then to complete it.  As well, having a true safety in the secondary to protect your biggest weakness (that will beat you) is paramount.

7 minutes ago, Xameil said:

So let's see....

In the draft the giants get a stud RB. The Redskins counter by getting a stud run blocker. 

Mid season trades, the Cowboys and Eagles trade for WRs and the Redskins trade for a stud safety...

Yep.... those cheating ****ers  have some good psychics or time traveling/seeing devices

3 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

It's easier to break up a deep pass then to complete it.  As well, having a true safety in the secondary to protect your biggest weakness (that will beat you) is paramount.

This is a good point... the Skins thrive on ball control. We grind out the clock and don’t score a whole lot on offense, so having a player who can help take away the opponent’s quick strike capability is key to the way we win games. 

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Honestly I would cut/trade Norman this offseason to make room for both Preston and HaHa.

Norman's contract isn't a problem after this year.  He won't be the top paid DB anymore and he's playing a lot better trending up.  I'd expect him to climb even further by the end of the year.  Additionally, with his previous contract and where he's at now, it would make more sense for the Skins and Norman to extend his contract then to cut him, spreading out the cap number by turning the extended year or two into lower annual salary for signing bonus.  Win-Win scenario.

Maybe the team also feels this improves the team at CB depth too. He can play some slot which frees up Dunbar and Moreau to both play outside. While also obviously being a true centerfield safety in other packages. Might give the team more versatility than simply adding a guy like Janoris Jenkins lets say.

These are the moves I think you can start making when you’ve flashed some legitimate ability to make some sort of run. This defense is really fun to watch guys, and it may have just gotten better. And not only that, but as others have said, it alerts the whole team “We’re going for this thing baby.” Confidence and momentum are real in the game of football. And I think this move gives us even more. Great value and excellent move in my opinion after reading all I’ve read.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:04 PM, Sandy Monk said:

Very surprising, and it looks like he's at the end of his contract, so not sure how to feel about this.

If he balls out, we'll use the money on him that we wont have to pay J. Norman. And I'm good with that. LOVE watching good safety play, would fun be watching Swearinger & Ha Ha Dix. Annnnd they're young too.....

Swearington 27

Ha-Ha Dix 25

Young BEAST DL, Young overachieving secondary (including an emerging Dunbar), what????!!!! Our future is looking beautiful on the defensive side of the ball. If we were to get this damn passing game going, at minimum we'd make it to the NFC Championship game. Wouldve been huge landing a legit WR in a trade today.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Norman's contract isn't a problem after this year.  He won't be the top paid DB anymore and he's playing a lot better trending up.  I'd expect him to climb even further by the end of the year.  Additionally, with his previous contract and where he's at now, it would make more sense for the Skins and Norman to extend his contract then to cut him, spreading out the cap number by turning the extended year or two into lower annual salary for signing bonus.  Win-Win scenario.

He’s signed for 30 million over the next two seasons. The highest priced CB in the league today makes 15 million a year who is Josh Norman. No other player is making 15 a year.

He is going to be 31 this December

http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db/

I dislike the extension idea. Also I dislike paying him near 10% of the cap next two seasons. Time to move on and get younger imo

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

He’s signed for 30 million over the next two seasons. The highest priced CB in the league today makes 15 million a year who is Josh Norman. No other player is making 15 a year.

He is going to be 31 this December

http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db/

I dislike the extension idea. Also I dislike paying him near 10% of the cap next two seasons. Time to move on and get younger imo

You can cut his salary by extending him. He makes the same amount of money and gets additional signing bonus now for a balance spread over 3 yrs.  Some sort of restructure might be possible here, plus the cap goes up each year so those %'s aren't going to be as much.

To say the Redskins made a tremendous upgrade to their defense would be an understatement. They go from the third lowest-graded safety to the fourth highest-graded, and this will significantly cut down on mistakes on the back end of their defense. Clinton Dix is a playmaking safety who doesn’t give up many big plays and is much sounder in both coverage and run-defense than Nicholson.

The pairing of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix with D.J. Swearinger gives the Redskins one of the most lethal safety duos in the NFL. On any given play, the two are a threat to force game-changing turnovers and will prevent big plays, allowing the Redskins to play with the lead and ride their strong running game. 

The aggressive move signifies that the Redskins are ready to take hold of the NFC East and make a playoff run this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ha-ha-clinton-dix-traded-to-the-washington-redskins

I think the reason they might have gone with a safety over a WR is because for one, a 4th rounder for this caliber of a safety is a steal, and secondly, I am not sure what WR's on the market would really make the kind of difference needed for this offense to change.  What the 'Skins are in serious need of at that position is a true stud #1.  Someone that can beat coverage, even double coverage either with size/strength or pure speed.   Who is available like that and what is the asking price?

Also, if they assume the offense is a work in progress, while the defense is already dominating most weeks, they opted to beef up the unit that is already strong, the unit where a veteran pick up can contribute right off the bat.  This isn't like when Norman was signed and people were looking at him as some kind of savior to transform the defense.  

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I think the reason they might have gone with a safety over a WR is because for one, a 4th rounder for this caliber of a safety is a steal, and secondly, I am not sure what WR's on the market would really make the kind of difference needed for this offense to change.  What the 'Skins are in serious need of at that position is a true stud #1.  Someone that can beat coverage, even double coverage either with size/strength or pure speed.   Who is available like that and what is the asking price?

Also, if they assume the offense is a work in progress, while the defense is already dominating most weeks, they opted to beef up the unit that is already strong, the unit where a veteran pick up can contribute right off the bat.  This isn't like when Norman was signed and people were looking at him as some kind of savior to transform the defense.  

Also, people need to realize that Quinn is coming back this week and Crowder should be back next week (hopefully). You already have a stout run D but need help in the passing D. The next 3 teams we play air out the ball and we need a good safety help. DJ can only do so much. The combo should be deadly now with a #2 and #3 safety in the league. 

This is why getting a WR at this stage of the game made no sense. Alex is not going to start throwing better because we now have a top WR. The chemistry and timing takes awhile anyways. 

We are winning with this D and AP now and with a little bit more help from Alex and his WRs we should be able to go deep into the playoffs once we get there. 

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't know where the narrative of him not sticking his nose in to make tackles comes from.  The only thing I'd say on that front is that he hasn't always taken the best angles, but not to the point where I expect him to miss on any given play.  Wasn't it against you guys earlier this year where he completely levelled the receiver while simultaneously making the interception?

Yeah the lack of physicality and soft tackling complaints sound like BS.  Looking at that Brian Baldinger video you can clearly see him making open field stops where he hits the outside hip and stones forward progress.  That is good stuff.  He also met Todd Gurley at the goal line and got him stood up.  That is excellent fundamental tackling.  He's a Bama kid.  They are superbly coached and Nick Saban simply doesn't make them soft.  He's a tall, long armed player at the position.  People confuse breaking down and wrapping up with being soft.  It's good football and the contact can be plenty hard.

Playing assignment sound is not a knock either.  Great defenses play team ball, not hero ball.  And it's not like the guy doesn't make big plays.  He's a good player who is an easy fit for any team running a lot of cover 3 and single coverages.

Not worried about what his acquisition does to Nicholson either.  Nicholson is not healthy right now, and you need three safeties anyway.

41 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think the reason they might have gone with a safety over a WR is because for one, a 4th rounder for this caliber of a safety is a steal,

There almost has to be a catch.

To let a guy that good, go for just a 4th.

Perhaps there's some baggage in there somewhere, behind the curtain ?

Or maybe the Pack was convinced he had no intention of re-signing next year, and they figured they'd try to get something in return for him, before he hit the open market. But even if they didn't trade him, their Compensatory Pick might be about the same as what they get in a trade. So that leads me back to wondering if there's some damaged goods in there. Don't want to speculate too much if he's got a clean record, but this rings as almost too good to be true.

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Confidence and momentum are real in the game of football.

Absolutely true, yep...and lack of leadership and turning the ball over can sap both from a team.

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But even if they didn't trade him, their Compensatory Pick might be about the same as what they get in a trade. So that leads me back to wondering if there's some damaged goods in there. Don't want to speculate too much if he's got a clean record, but this rings as almost too good to be true.

They'd have to wait another year to get that compensatory pick, though. Trading him gets them the pick a year earlier.

Archived