Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

Seems like part of the drill at times to dealing with both injuries in the secondary and to stop the run in nickel is to have a safety play slot some.  They did it with Everett some. Dix obviously a better player so that would allow them to juice up this strategy if they choose to do so among other things.  I recall that was one of the staples with Gregg Williams' defense here, safety playing slot and three safety sets. 

We are about to play three teams that can really fling it and go deep if they choose.  D. Jax seems to score at will against the Eagles -- hope that doesn't happen against his new old team, the Redskins.  Having some help deep should help. 

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

GB isn't getting any compensatory picks in 2019.  They wouldn't get a comp pick for someone that leaves at the end of the season until the next draft in 2020.  This way GB gets something to work with in 2019.

The Skins get 4 comp picks in 2019:

So basically the true cost of this trade for the Redskins in terms of draft picks is the following:

GB gets 2019 4th round draft pick

If Clinton-Dix leaves via FA after this season which is highly likely... Redskins gets have very good chance of getting 3rd or 4th rounder as Comp Pick in 2020

Assuming we get a 4th rounder as Comp Pick in 2020 which would be worth 2019 5th round pick in terms of generic draft value.. Redskins are getting Clinton-Dix for 9 games this year for basically to move down 1 round.

sbnation's take at sbnation.com:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/10/30/18022444/nfl-trade-deadline-2018-grades-amari-cooper-cowboys-raiders-eli-apple-giants

Washington shows its NFC East chances are no joke with HaHa Clinton-Dix

Washington gets: S HaHa Clinton-Dix

Packers get: Fourth-round pick

The Packers probably weren’t going to re-sign HaHa Clinton-Dix — the former first-round pick said as much weeks before the trade deadline. That put the Green Bay safety squarely on the trading block, and Washington — a team with a good, not great secondary — jumped at the chance to add the fifth-year veteran.

It’s a move that shows Jay Gruden isn’t content to rest on his laurels. Washington has jumped to the top of the NFC East behind a surprising 5-2 start. With Josh Norman rounding back into form and DJ Swearinger playing some of the best football of his career, adding another defensive back wasn’t a glaring need. But Clinton-Dix gives the team an upgrade over Montae Nicholson and gives the club an argument as the NFC’s toughest passing defense moving forward.

Clinton-Dix was the thread that tied together a wounded secondary in 2016 and 2017, but his level of play has been uneven this fall. Green Bay deemed him expendable thanks in part to a rising crop of young defensive backs led by players like Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Kentrell Brice, and Josh Jones. While he would have helped the Packers’ playoff push, general manager Brian Gutekunst decided a fourth-round pick for half a season of the Pro Bowl safety was a better deal than letting him walk away in the offseason .

But Clinton-Dix was especially useful in pressure situations the past two seasons, and his ability to stay healthy and contribute is a trait Green Bay defensive backs have lacked recently. The Packers don’t have much margin for error after a 3-3-1 start — and after jettisoning their starting safety, who is also responsible for 60 percent of their 2018 interceptions, it just got even smaller.

Washington grade: A-

Packers grade: B-

Walterfootball's take at walterfootball.com:

http://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php

Redskins acquire S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix from Packers for 2019 4th-round pick
I don't understand this trade from Green Bay's perspective. There must be something internally wrong with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Perhaps he's a bad presence in the locker room, or maybe he clashed with coaches. I don't know, because a non-seller shouldn't be surrendering a talented 25-year-old safety for a mere fourth-round pick.

Without knowing the full situation, it's easy to say that the Redskins won this trade. They now have two amazing safeties with Clinton-Dix joining D.J. Swearinger in a loaded defensive backfield. The Redskins' defense has improved substantially in the wake of this deal, and they're a legitimate threat to now reach the second round of the playoffs before Alex Smith sabotages everything. I suppose the only question is what sort of interns Clinton-Dix will hire now that he's in Washington.

The Redskins will earn an A+, while the Packers get a C-. It could be worse for Green Bay, but I'm going to assume that Clinton-Dix did something to deserve getting shipped off because the Packers just severely downgraded their secondary.

Grade for Redskins - A+
Grade for Packers - C-

3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

My wild guess is no. Vet or not, just not enough time to get settled and acclimated. Next next game though.

Ya see that's what my buddy was saying and I told him well Eli apple played for the saints and he claims he was a liability and gave up some plays.... c'mon dj get in this dude's ear between now and Sunday..be on the practice field working ot.. get ha ha ready for Sunday..we will need him!

30 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Welllll????..

Is he going to start this Sunday?

He should, it’s just learning the names of calls.  Cover 3 is cover 3 no matter where you play.  Same with Cover 2, Quarters and man Free.  It’s still just football, I would imagine DJ can walk him thru calls on field.....but, I guess we will wait and see! 

All these deadline trades are wild. Its like baseball with teams trading for rentals. It makes sense to a degree, why not get some return on a player you know is going to walk at seasons end.

But this isnt baseball where you can mostly plug and play a player. This is football. It takes months and months to install and get comfortable with gameplans. Im curious to see how this works out.

Heard on radio that there was a push for teams to make trades and make things "exciting" to try and get fan interest back up.

I feel like we just saw a new wrinkle in the nfl ... deadline trading of rentals. It is exciting.

edit - watched half the pack-rams replay last night. HHCD stuck his nose in there on tackles and seemed to play single high a good bit. Letting DJ roam with HHCD playing back could be a great D option. Maybe lets us blitz with more than 5 guys, maybe we can bring DJ or a corner on a blitz now etc ... maybe let DJ drop down and cover man a TE or slot if a CB is injured

edit-edit ---- what nickname or abbrev are we using for Ha Ha Clinton Dix? Just HaHa? Does he have to "earn" one? Do we have to wait for the skins players to give him one? .....

On the surface the move seems great. I’m a Nicholson supporter, hoping he will still have a major role in the defense. I don’t watch film so unsure how well he was playing, just assumed he was doing his part as the Skins have done well not getting beat deep. 

Maybe this impacts Harvey Clemons on 3rd downs. Which I’m all for. 

one angle i had in mind when i was thinking of getting him was when we do face passing offenses that put up a lot of points it can make some games more winnable to slow them down on that end rather than count on our passing offense to always match them score for score in timely manner (cuz so far, no) and the only other player-addition way to battle that would be paying some hefty price for some hoped-for improvement  over richardson at wr.

this is (should be) just a (surprisingly) good move by the fo. like to know who led the move (i haven't read much yet).

Archived