Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Or maybe the Pack was convinced he had no intention of re-signing next year, and they figured they'd try to get something in return for him, before he hit the open market.

GB isn't getting any compensatory picks in 2019.  They wouldn't get a comp pick for someone that leaves at the end of the season until the next draft in 2020.  This way GB gets something to work with in 2019.

The Skins get 4 comp picks in 2019:

Washington Redskins

Projected compensatory picks: Round 3; Round 5; two in Round 6.
Key free-agent losses: QB Kirk Cousins (Vikings), LB Trent Murphy (Bills), C Spencer Long (Jets), WR Ryan Grant (Colts), WR Terrelle Pryor (Jets).
Key free-agent additions: WR Paul Richardson (Seahawks).
The skinny: The Redskins signed Pernell McPhee and Orlando Scandrick, but they were both released in the offseason, so they will not count against Washington in terms of compensatory picks. They should have the maximum number of compensatory selections a team can receive coming their way.

22 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

GB isn't getting any compensatory picks in 2019.  They wouldn't get a comp pick for someone that leaves at the end of the season until the next draft in 2020.  This way GB gets something to work with in 2019.

The Skins get 4 comp picks in 2019:

Washington Redskins

Projected compensatory picks: Round 3; Round 5; two in Round 6.
Key free-agent losses: QB Kirk Cousins (Vikings), LB Trent Murphy (Bills), C Spencer Long (Jets), WR Ryan Grant (Colts), WR Terrelle Pryor (Jets).
Key free-agent additions: WR Paul Richardson (Seahawks).
The skinny: The Redskins signed Pernell McPhee and Orlando Scandrick, but they were both released in the offseason, so they will not count against Washington in terms of compensatory picks. They should have the maximum number of compensatory selections a team can receive coming their way.

McPhee is still on the team... (Even though I had to google/twitter search for 5 minutes before I definitively posted this)

11 hours ago, Poindexter said:

Not sure if I like this or not.  Well we have the two top PFF rated safeties in the NFL right now.  I'm sure it hurts the development of Nicholson....we will have to wait and see what we gave up and how we plan on making this thing work.

Initially that was my thought in regards to Nicholson. But..... What if Dix can tutor him? DJ is versatile but his true position isn't FS. Nicholson had been doing it w/ no veteran leadership. Could be a good thing. That and it keeps Everette off the field. He can't cover a TE at all. Philly has two solid dudes.

4 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Honestly I would cut/trade Norman this offseason to make room for both Preston and HaHa.

I don't see Norman on the team next year unless he takes a big pay cut. Was thinking the move Dunny to CB1. Moreau outside. Hence Stroman getting all the reps. Really curious as to the development of Alexander.

Just now, #BgMase76# said:

Initially that was my thought in regards to Nicholson. But..... What if Dix can tutor him? DJ is versatile but his true position isn't FS. Nicholson had been doing it w/ no veteran leadership. Could be a good thing. That and it keeps Everette off the field. He can't cover a TE at all. Philly has two solid dudes.

Nicholson sucks and was a late round pick. Maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't. Who cares, we've got an actual good FS now.

I'm not for or against this move. I think I'm more "curious".

If they utilize Dix the way I would, I'll really like the move (gee, shocking that I'd like a move I'd make, eh?)

If they let him move around in Nickel/Dime packages and cover backs/TEs  (or in base formations covering TEs/Backs instead of our ILBs) while leaving Nicholson at FS for a good portion of snaps I'll be very high on the move. I'm not in love with our secondary in general as it pertains to covering slots/backs/TEs. Though I would say they aren't in terrible shape regardless.

If they take Nicholson off the field for a good portion of the game I'll like it a lot less. Nicholson isn't great, I don't care what his PFF rating is (gee, I'm not a huge fan of PFF, who knew?), but he is getting better weekly and has made some great open field tackles for us.

7 hours ago, TheShredder said:

You can cut his salary by extending him. He makes the same amount of money and gets additional signing bonus now for a balance spread over 3 yrs.  Some sort of restructure might be possible here, plus the cap goes up each year so those %'s aren't going to be as much.

Why extend an old player like that? Is his play worth an extension? Or would that money saved be better off spent elsewhere? That’s what the team has to ask themselves. Vinny would extend him, is that the direction this team should go? No. One INT for the past two years for the highest paid CB in the league is not good enough 

6 hours ago, zskins said:

This is why getting a WR at this stage of the game made no sense. Alex is not going to start throwing better because we now have a top WR. The chemistry and timing takes awhile anyways. 

We are winning with this D and AP now and with a little bit more help from Alex and his WRs we should be able to go deep into the playoffs once we get there. 

To add to this those receivers traded yesterday are all old players (30+ years old) and expensive cap wise and draft pick cost. More salary was dumped yesterday then most years. The only “cheap” receiver moved was Josh Gordon who is still in his 20s and working off his rookie deal.

To be in the mix for a Tate or Demaryius would have meant restructuring contracts and thats not what good teams do when they don’t have a lot of cap space. Now I do wish that they were the team giving up a fifth round pick for Josh Gordon but the danger there was obvious. And like you said even if they traded for one of those guys if the QBs not throwing accurately it wouldn’t have made a difference

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There almost has to be a catch.

To let a guy that good, go for just a 4th.

Perhaps there's some baggage in there somewhere, behind the curtain ?

Or maybe the Pack was convinced he had no intention of re-signing next year, and they figured they'd try to get something in return for him, before he hit the open market. But even if they didn't trade him, their Compensatory Pick might be about the same as what they get in a trade. So that leads me back to wondering if there's some damaged goods in there. Don't want to speculate too much if he's got a clean record, but this rings as almost too good to be true.

I listened to the reporters yesterday about this wondering the same. Jason Laconfora said that the Packers knew they were moving on and decided to rip the band aide off early so as not to go into the offseason with that distraction. Everywhere else I’ve seen the same thing, some articles downplay how good he is but there aren’t any smoke screens out there saying he’s injured or anything like that. 

The reason the cost was cheap is because of how long he’s on contract. The move could be nothing special if he doesn’t sign here long term so there is a risk with it. As long as they extend him then it will be a slam dunk win for them. Easiest way to do that is to move on from Josh Norman’s deal. Could have multiple players signed for that subtraction

Nicholson is injured right now and probably only playing because our safety depth is trash.  We're a hair away from starting a special teamer like Deshazor Everett and playing him every snap.

You've got to have three safeties because the position rotates.   And you've got to have depth because it's a violent spot.

1 - Dix is an iron man who never misses time

2 - Dix is a way better player than Nicholson

We upgraded a weakness with this move and improved our shaky depth in the process.  It was a great trade with virtually no downside because we either got a great player worth keeping or we'll probably get a comp pick back if he walks given the way we've begun using free agency.

As for those who wanted us to trade for a WR instead, the WR trade market was crappy.  Third round pick for Golden Tate?  Fourth for Beybey Thomas?  First for Amari Cooper????  All of those were lousy trades compared to trading a 4th for a safety who is cheap and doesn't necessitate reworking money and, more importantly, who is actually a good player.  Dix has the upside to be worth resigning in the spring.

Trading for a WR to add midseason to an offense that can't pass would have been dumb.  The spot we need depth at is RB.  We're utterly reliant on Adrian Peterson right now.  No way Thompson makes it through this season with the injuries he's piling up.  So we're stuck relying on a 33 year old workhorse with a separated shoulder and multiple catastrophic leg injuries in his history.  RB is the point of failure in our roster that could derail our season.

So, the Eagles and Rams are in a "win now" frame of mind.

While the Pack is like "Win n...ehhh, maybe a year from now."

The Packers are in a transition. Once they are eliminated from the playoffs they are going to fire the coaches and start over.

They have a long history of not signing corners and safeties to second year deals and going with the draft to restock the cupboards. They have been drafting for this moment the past two years. Moving on from Haha was always the plan

The Packers aren’t going to admit this but this seasons been a disappointment for them and it’s not their year

4 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

McPhee is still on the team... (Even though I had to google/twitter search for 5 minutes before I definitively posted this)

I think what the post meant was that both McPhee and Scandrick were released by their previous teams in the offseason (i.e. after free agency), so the Skins signing either of them did not negatively impact their compensatory pick status.  If they had signed either of them earlier, it would have.

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

Sooo...has anyone addressed Clinton-Dix wears #21? ?

It was mentioned, and mentioned that he did not choose that number when joining the Pack. 

He wore #6 at Bama, IIRC, so he shouldn't have any real urgency to covet #21. He will quickly be told it isn't an option, if he doesn't yet know. ? 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trading for a WR to add midseason to an offense that can't pass would have been dumb.  The spot we need depth at is RB.  We're utterly reliant on Adrian Peterson right now.  No way Thompson makes it through this season with the injuries he's piling up.  So we're stuck relying on a 33 year old workhorse with a separated shoulder and multiple catastrophic leg injuries in his history.  RB is the point of failure in our roster that could derail our season.

Great post. Don’t make too much about APs age. Yes he is 33 years old. Yes that’s an issue however he only played in four total games in 2014 and 2016 so his legs aren’t those of a 33 year old. He’s long in the tooth for sure but with Guice waiting in the wings they have his replacement on the team already

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nicholson sucks and was a late round pick. Maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't. Who cares, we've got an actual good FS now. 

Yeah man, I don't get it.  Why would anyone confuse Montae Nicholson with someone you pass over acquiring a Probowl player for a fourth round pick for?

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nicholson is injured right now and probably only playing because our safety depth is trash.  We're a hair away from starting a special teamer like Deshazor Everett and playing him every snap.

You've got to have three safeties because the position rotates.   And you've got to have depth because it's a violent spot.

1 - Dix is an iron man who never misses time

2 - Dix is a way better player than Nicholson

We upgraded a weakness with this move and improved our shaky depth in the process.  It was a great trade with virtually no downside because we either got a great player worth keeping or we'll probably get a comp pick back if he walks given the way we've begun using free agency.

Wholly agreed. Dix/Nicholson/Swearinger can also be on the field at the same time when Nicholson is healthy. Dix excels at covering backs and tight ends. I fully expect (hope?) that when they are all three healthy we will finally have an answer to opposing tight ends (although they are hurting us a LOT less so far this year).

But yes, Dix needs to be on the field. Regardless.

But even if they didn't trade him, their Compensatory Pick might be about the same as what they get in a trade

Once the packers sign a player of equal salary/calibre, this would nulify their Comp pick.  With no intention of resigning him, they at least GUARENTEE getting something for him

Nicholson certainly has upside, but he has been a disappointment this year, injury aside.

He has taken bad angles and seem to not give full effort on many occasions.

Yes I am just an arm chair drinking football watching wanna be scout, and I got all caught up in the hype, but he has been a disappointment in my eyes.

This move will only help this team and possibly Nicholson himself.

On the Brees passing yard record breaker, which turned into a long TD to Tre-Quan Smith....me personally......I thought the effort by Nicholson was beyond poor.

Clinton-Dix does not whiff on that, and actually Tre-Quan might feel a bit of a hit, instead of a whiff of 2-hand touch.

Anyway, I'm excited for this move!

Archived