Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

3 minutes ago, Tay said:

Doug and the coaches wanted Alex. Once Bruce knew that, it was his job to try to make the trade happen. The power move narrative around the trade is overblown.

Seems strange that Doug literally had no idea what Bruce could be talking about when told not to answer his phone.  He was like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to see what’s under the tree, I believe were his words. 

Any scouting report on Clinton’s range. He appears to be slow footed for an over the top safety. Admittedly, I’m bias as I’m a believer in Nicholson. Nicholson has amazing range, but realize we’re half way through the season and Nicholson hasn’t made many impact plays. 

Also PFF scores, do they factor in Micholson floating over the top or is it primarily a tackle grade? 

My hope is Nicholson stays over the top with DJ and Clinton being versatile defenders. Nicholson needs to be on field. Speed, speed and more speed. 

Just now, wit33 said:

Any scouting report on Clinton’s range. He appears to be slow footed for an over the top safety. Admittedly, I’m bias as I’m a believer in Nicholson. Nicholson has amazing range, but realize we’re half way through the season and Nicholson hasn’t made many impact plays. 

Also PFF scores, do they factor in Micholson floating over the top or is it primarily a tackle grade? 

My hope is Nicholson stays over the top with DJ and Clinton being versatile defenders. Nicholson needs to be on field. Speed, speed and more speed. 

You could swap names and it would make a lot more sense.

This might be too homerrific of a take, but I’m wondering if the talk about Ha Ha’s issues with tackling/angles has more to do with a Packers D that has been an absolute sieve versus anything relating to his own inability. 

Remember in 2006 when people were actually trashing Sean friggin Taylor? They didn’t recognize just how much he was over compensating for the horrid play of everyone in front of him and how he was constantly put in terrible spots since opposing players were getting the ball (or running through holes) with crazy amounts of space. 

Safeties, especially traditional Free Safeties who play off the ball more than not, look real bad when their front stinks and allows rushers to walk through untouched. They also look terrible when their corners give up a ton of separation. I don’t care who you are, you’re going to look like a flat-footed moron when NFL-caliber talent is consistently coming at you with a ton of room to operate. 

My hope is that whatever perceived issues he has regarding his ability to tackle or whatever is entirely a function of a poor supporting cast, which Green Bay has had for the majority of his career. 

He’s coming here and instantly has a better group of players to work with. I’ve got to say, that’s pretty damn exciting to me. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think he might be even more of a stud here. One can argue that his ability to carve out a good career at his position in Green Bay with their defensive personnel is indicative that he’s even better than we think. 

What an awesome feeling to have right now. I don't think there’s anything illogical, irrational, or even pertaining to fanhood-based emotionalism tied to believing the above, which is extremely rare for a move made by this FO. 

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

You can be as bias as you feel, but you must understand what an upgrade this is... 

Montae flashed last year and I was disappointed to see his rookie season cut short (btw, I hated using a 4th round pick on him, but he quickly changed my mind). I was hoping that he would take the sophomore leap this season, but he didn't, he regressed. As a Skins fan, it's obvious that he has been the one truly weak link on this defense and pff backs it up with his very poor rating. I see this trade having a positive trickle-down effect where Montae will now be able to shadow one of the best FS in the game. This trade pays dividends. 

"......and after jettisoning their starting safety, who is also responsible for 60 percent of their 2018 interceptions, it just got even smaller......."

Dude had 60% of the picks for the GB D....You want me to say this again? LOL.  I am so freaking happy man, this is an awesome trade.

12 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

This might be too homerrific of a take,

Whole post was great but I just wanted to make sure you knew that your above quote is your best characteristic and why we love you more than a few of the other mods I won't quote for fear of retribution >_> 

For the all the worriers of tackling or any other of HAHa supposed weaknesses I offer this 1. No player is perfect. They all have flaws. 2. Production Production Production! Dude has been there and done that. And has shown in his short career that he’s a baller. Oh and btw he’s 25. Enough already, it’s a great deal no matter how you slice it. Enjoy it.

21 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You can be as bias as you feel, but you must understand what an upgrade this is... 

Montae flashed last year and I was disappointed to see his rookie season cut short (btw, I hated using a 4th round pick on him, but he quickly changed my mind). I was hoping that he would take the sophomore leap this season, but he didn't, he regressed. As a Skins fan, it's obvious that he has been the one truly weak link on this defense and pff backs it up with his very poor rating. I see this trade having a positive trickle-down effect where Montae will now be able to shadow one of the best FS in the game. This trade pays dividends. 

I just need a bit more information. Right now, it’s Clinton is a household name (to the above average fan) and all of sudden Micholson has been playing poorly. I’m asking questions only, as I don’t watch any film and games don’t allow for much opportunity to judge how a FS is playing. I assumed Micholson was solid this year due to overall defense and not getting beat deep often. Micholsons role seemed to not be one to provide huge statistics, but a pic here and there would be nice. 

How does PFF determine safety grades

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Watch Stroman all alone against the giants and wonder why FS is such a big hole for us.

It could be scheme. Not smart, but we also don't put Norman on the other teams best player. Instead we let Beckham go one on one with a 7th round rook. Having a P Peterson solves that much easier.

I hope he works out here (Ha Ha that is) but I'm not sure he's going to make a big impact.

43 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seems strange that Doug literally had no idea what Bruce could be talking about when told not to answer his phone.  He was like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to see what’s under the tree, I believe were his words. 

Those talks happened weeks earlier. From the Kimberley A Martin piece:

The Redskins internally had discussed the possibility of acquiring Smith, the first overall pick in the 2005 draft, as early as wild-card weekend in early January, with the personnel department making a list of all of the free agent quarterbacks and trade possibilities during postseason meetings. They rated Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford, Chad Henne, Josh McCown and others.

“But Alex was our main focus, so nobody else mattered,” Williams said. And with Smith having only one year remaining on his Kansas City deal, and 2017 first-round pick Patrick Mahomes II poised to be the future of the Chiefs, Washington knew “there was a possibility they could move on” from Smith, Gruden said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/dont-answer-your-phone-inside-the-trade-that-brought-alex-smith-to-the-redskins/2018/03/16/0340c74a-2951-11e8-874b-d517e912f125_story.html?utm_term=.ca9a479ba772

16 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

It could be scheme. Not smart, but we also don't put Norman on the other teams best player. Instead we let Beckham go one on one with a 7th round rook. Having a P Peterson solves that much easier.

I hope he works out here (Ha Ha that is) but I'm not sure he's going to make a big impact.

P Peterson wasn't on the market. Just type in "Ha Ha Clinton-Dix" into a Google search, read every reaction and article and be happy, geesh.

Just now, Morneblade said:

FS is as or more important than CB. Imo. I seriously doubt the scheme was to throw Stroman in the deep end all alone against on of the leagues best WRs and hope for the best. Nicolson is slow and lost out there.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

FS is as or more important than CB. Imo. I seriously doubt the scheme was to throw Stroman in the deep end all alone against on of the leagues best WRs and hope for the best. Nicolson is slow and lost out there.

I know you love FS. Seemingly more than any position on defense. I just having him back there helps us some in pass coverage, teams have been able to move the ball throwing.

As far as scheme goes, I have some really stupid looking things happen back there at times. So I don't discount it.

25 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I just need a bit more information. Right now, it’s Clinton is a household name (to the above average fan) and all of sudden Micholson has been playing poorly. I’m asking questions only, as I don’t watch any film and games don’t allow for much opportunity to judge how a FS is playing. I assumed Micholson was solid this year due to overall defense and not getting beat deep often. Micholsons role seemed to not be one to provide huge statistics, but a pic here and there would be nice. 

How does PFF determine safety grades

Nicholson*

Man I wish I had the formula, but I don't. I didn't trust it until I started searching for players who I was sure played well or poorly and confirming that the pff rating was in line. An example, Swearinger is rated #1 Safety in football. Look at their post-game tweets, which are usually posted in some of these threads, about the best performing players.

Football ratings aren't a science, but PFF is by far the closest thing to it out there.

27 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I was so pissed when I saw this.  I'm a HUGE Stroman guy for personal reasons so my opinion is a little jaded.  I want him to be good and I like what i've seen... but to put ANYONE out there on our defense, in that situation, and not have safety help.... what did you expect to happen (not you... rhetoric).  

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

I was so pissed when I saw this.  I'm a HUGE Stroman guy for personal reasons so my opinion is a little jaded.  I want him to be good and I like what i've seen... but to put ANYONE out there on our defense, in that situation, and not have safety help.... what did you expect to happen (not you... rhetoric).  

Understood. I'm not sure why we don't have our best CB travel more, or only do it after someone gets burned badly. The fact that Nicholson has been invisible this year is a little frustrating, while Swearinger has been all over the place.

4 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Does anybody wear #20

I don’t know if it was a slip up but HaHa just said ”#20s going to be on that field”

Rob Kelly does.

50 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Whole post was great but I just wanted to make sure you knew that your above quote is your best characteristic and why we love you more than a few of the other mods I won't quote for fear of retribution >_> 

Well now I know you’re a terrible judge of character if you love me more than a few other mods. ? 

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Understood. I'm not sure why we don't have our best CB travel more, or only do it after someone gets burned badly. The fact that Nicholson has been invisible this year is a little frustrating, while Swearinger has been all over the place.

From what I heard yesterday, and take it with a grain of salt, Norman and some of the other dbs just kind of made the decision that he would travel.  There likely was some pressure from whoever, and ultimately I don't know who makes that call.  It could be Manusky, or it could be Gray, but at some point Gruden needs to question why that alignment went down that way.  

Archived