Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just checked out the GB point of view a little

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/30/breaking-down-the-packers-trade-of-s-ha-ha-clinton-dix/

Through the past two seasons, Clinton-Dix can more or less be described as follows: assignment sound, average speed, loathes contact, takes poor pursuit angles, arm tackles and, in general, shies away from physicality. ...

This strikes me as someone trying to rationalize letting go of the second best safety in the league this year.

47 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

One of the talking heads here, said we're not strong at safety.  WTF?  Can someone explain? I'm confused, has he not seen D.J. Swearinger this season? :(

probably not, thats why they are talking heads, discount anything national media says, they have no idea what they are talking about.

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Reading some of the GB perspective reports from their reporters -- its far from all flattering on Dix.  the picture they paint is he's not a tough dude and isn't a hot tackler but more of a free safety ball hawk.   If so, he's described more as a pure free safety -- meaning DJ plays strong. 

This doesnt make sense cause read on him is good covering slot?

22 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

This strikes me as someone trying to rationalize letting go of the second best safety in the league this year.

I love PFF as much as anyone but I wouldn't take it that literally that he's the 2nd best safety in the league because he has the 2nd best score.  If so it would also mean that Monte Nicholson is the absolute worst safety in the league. 

I like the deal and I like PFF.  And I am enthusiastic about the deal as I said from the outset.

I've spent some time in the last hour reading about him from GB's perspective.  I like the trade even after reading some criticism of his play.  but yeah I don't sense its all about rationalizing on their end, there is stuff you can find about that they should trade him before they did.   If lets say some of that criticism is on the money, then he's a talented dude and maybe a new team will spark things for him.  

https://dairylandexpress.com/2018/10/10/green-bay-packers-trade-ha-ha-clinton-dix-deadline/

13 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

This doesnt make sense cause read on him is good covering slot?

why would covering in the slot not play into him being more of a coverage free safety type than a run stopping hard hitting strong safety type?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

why would covering in the slot not play into him being more of a coverage safety than a run stopping hard hitting strong safety type?

Well the knock cant be you cant tackle and arent physical but can take on TE's and physical slot receivers.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good read.  Bullock echoes the GB reports -- shaky tackler but good coverage guy.

Thats someone in space you have no idea what the call was, who should have done what... My read is we got a good physical safety.  For chump change. I dunno, i dont see this,  the guy can be off charts and any knocks are nitpicking.

As the trade deadline was approaching, I was just praying that we didn't make a dumb move. I know we have a good team right now but i didn't want to do what Dallas did and trade away a first, or to trade for a 30 year old WR or a number of other things, like maybe trading The Greek. All these things were going through my mind, and it's kinda sad that these are the things I'm afraid of right now. 

But nonetheless I love this move. I had/have high hopes for Monte and i wasn't even complaining about his play too much because he has allowed DJ to play closer. But we had the opportunity to bring in an all pro S for a 4th, and he's only 25. I'll feel even better about it if we're able to sign him to a deal, probably more than DJ but are we talking a deal similar to what Eric Berry got or what? 

3 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Well the knock cant be you cant tackle and arent physical but can take on TE's and physical slot receivers.

Covering slot receivers is much about coverage skills.  Tougher to press guys playing in the slot.

But like Koolblue said a coverage guy-free safety is what we need.  So if some of the reports from GB that he isn't this physical bruising tackler -- ditto Bullock's report -- but he's a rangy free safety.  That's what we need.  If you feel that he's likely a good tackler, too and those reports are wrong, cool.  I haven't sat down and watched Dix yet to make up my own mind on that front but I'll get to it. 

I dont think he's a great tackler, you are right but certainly not afraid to try, and sometimes he comes up big. Guess we are arguing semantics. The tape shows a guy willing to put his head in, and also rangie(is that a word) but i think he will make a world of difference on back end.

This move was great..We didn’t over reach and give too much away for him(cough-cough...DALLAS!!)!!

He comes to a team and joins an already good defense,familiar with several players on the team(helps with him learning plays faster-and falls right into his role!!),adds quality an depth to one of the few spots that I felt we could’ve use a boost in!!

I was watching till the mid-afternoon and saw that it was looking that we weren’t going to be active today and probably not going to trade for anybody-to be honestly I was OK with that..but this move was VERY welcomed surprise no doubt!!..I had hoped we might have drafted him years ago,but now that he’s been in the league for a few years and knows how to ball..I’m even more stoked that we made this move-CANT WAIT to see how our backfield looks in a week or two as he gets adjusted to the playbook!!!...HTTR!!!!!!

I think it’s also worth noting that for the first time in his career, Dix (hehe) will  be playing with other good members of the secondary to help him out. The best his Packers teams did in terms of defensive rank is 15th. Playing with better people around you will elevate your game. Very excited to see what he’ll be on our top 5 defensive unit.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He can be counted on to be in the right area, but during frequent media sessions he’s demonstrated an aversion to taking personal responsibility, though his on-field performances don’t ring a “lead by example” bell. Look around a pile when the Packers tackle an opposing ball carrier. More often than not, you’d say a variety of Packers jumping in and making an effort. Outside that bubble you’ll spot Clinton-Dix, standing in position but just that – standing. Perhaps the biggest issue, when lumped into a singular indictment, has been Clinton-Dix’s complete lack of effort.

That does not sound good.  That sounds like the opposite of good.  Ouch.

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

With DJ holding Sean's old 36, I wonder what number Dix will take here? Do we have a 20 here?

Wait, that's Kelley. 22, 37, are 35 taken as well. Interesting question.

I say let him have 21. People need to stop chasing ghosts. ST was great – my favorite player on the team at the time. But it's been a decade. Time to let it go.

Brilliant move at the right time for what's left on the schedule.

The Skins first half of the season was filled with teams that have great running backs.  Going 5-2 in the first half and playing lights out against the run was 'Mission Accomplished'.  The second half of the season is just the opposite.  The main obstacles will be pass happy teams.  Atlanta and TB are one dimensional pass happy.  The two divisional contenders, PHI and DAL added WR's.  The Skins weakness has been being beat over the top.  The addition of Ha Ha was the best move they could make at this time.  

Skins send a 4th rounder to get Dix for the rest of the year.  Dix is in a contract year and will ball out playing next to the #1 Safety in the league.  The Skins will have the lead in negotiations if they want to keep this tandem together past 2020 when DJ's contract is up.  They have options and one spicy option would be to apply the RFA tender on him at a very affordable salary.  If they lose him in FA, they'll get a 1st round pick.  You give up a 4th to get a 1st, or you have the two best safeties in the NFL playing together for a year and half at least.

Just a Brilliant move here! 

7 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

I think it’s also worth noting that for the first time in his career, Dix (hehe) will  be playing with other good members of the secondary to help him out. The best his Packers teams did in terms of defensive rank is 15th. Playing with better people around you will elevate your game. Very excited to see what he’ll be on our top 5 defensive unit.

This is a great point!  I will gladly cheer for this rather than some pundit or scorn fans reporting that he cannot play.  So tired of reading people’s opinions of players, especially when majority of those people have ZERO NFL experience.  I’ll take the wait and see and cheer my butt off for the guy approach.  Hopefully he pans out, if not, oh well, Montae is there.  Just excited our FO did something in response to the other teams in our division making moves.

9 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

That's a super strong point. 

We all know the difference it makes when your DL is balling out and how that makes the secondary better.  :cheers:

Archived