Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Giants

KDawg

We just won back to back division games and have a win against a 5-2 team, as much as I have ****ed in the Alex thread I'm thrilled with 85% of what we're doing and excited to see how it plays out.

The nice thing is we are 5-2 without reaching our full potential on offense so if we do get the passing game going then watch out, we could have something.

I noticed yesterday we did a lot of no back formations on 3rd down. I’m not a big fan of that. We have one of the better 3rd down recieving backs in the league and we kept lining him out wide. Not a fan of Thompson’s usage yesterday. But hey we won so it’s a moot point. 

4 minutes ago, SkinsFanRob said:

I noticed yesterday we did a lot of no back formations on 3rd down. I’m not a big fan of that. We have one of the better 3rd down recieving backs in the league and we kept lining him out wide. Not a fan of Thompson’s usage yesterday. But hey we won so it’s a moot point. 

This post can't be LIKED enough !!!!!!!!! 

I was *****ing so mad at some of the situational formations yesterday. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Smith is strange. Again, I don't want to turn this into a Cousins debate, so I'm only stating things I see as fact:

-Cousins made the offense a hell of a lot more fun to watch. But I always had this sinking feeling of despair in closing moments that he was going to blow it. And I was right more often than I cared to have been.

-Smith is boring as hell. But I don't have the feeling of despair. It's more, "meh. Well, at least he probably won't turn it over".

-With Cousins we were in more shoot outs. With Smith we're in more, "holy crap can we please score" games. 

Upon writing this, it's not really much of a Cousins vs. Smith observation at all. Just how the team is operating differently. So far it's worked out for the record. We'll see if it continues.

Yeah, it was fun watching Kirk throw a Pick-6 last night.

thats exactly what Alex does not do.... and I’m ok with that!

2 hours ago, moondog said:

One thing I’m VERY excited for - we should get Holsey back in a few weeks. If Dunny returns around the same timeframe we’ll be in good shape. Unfortunately I wish it was now cuz we could use them against the Falcons and bucs. 

I don't think there's room for Holsey.

We currently have 6 CB's on the roster - Norman, Dunny, Moreau, Johnson, Alexander, Stroman.

I don't see any way we make it 7.

So we'd have to drop one of those guys to PS. And considering they've all had decent playing time, it would be risky to do so.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Haha alright I must have skimmed over the happy part. It seems like you have a negative spin on every game regardless of the outcome. For instance, it's a ridiculous stretch when you blame Jay for AP's fumble... I get it, you hate Jay, but come on man. AP tried to make magic instead of taking the 2 yards available up the gut and then lost concentration. The majority of run plays don't go for big gains, but to blame Jay for the fumble is a bit much.

And Stroman wasn't nearly as horrible as you say. I went back and watched the NFL Game Rewind and aside from being burned by OBJ early, he played well. He's a 7th round rookie vs OBJ. Most solid DBs can't handle that one-on-one. 

Never said I hate Jay, but I hate his inconsistent play calling.  And while Jay didn't fumble the ball directly, the play call itself (assuming it was a misdirection run out of shotgun) didn't help.  Vernon was sitting there licking his chops and AP ran straight into him, thus forcing him to run side to side instead of downhill, where Collins was there to strip the ball. 

I get that fumbles happen, it's part of the game.  And maybe I'm just pissy because it happened at a critical point in the game where we lost an opportunity to put more points on the board and extend the lead.  I think running out of shotgun on 1st and 10 on the Giants 17 yard line was a stupid call and again, if it was a misdirection run, even dumber.  Under center in single back and handing it off to AP running downhill would have been a lot safer call than the result of the run out of shotgun.  

That is why I would hold Jay accountable.  Now if the run was a zone run to the middle/right-middle as it appeared to be based on the blocking, then yes, AP was trying to make magic happen and it failed, then of course that's all on him, all day.  I said that too in my initial post.

Stroman, I'm still not sold on him yet.  

Edit:  I'm very happy right now and I get that there is a "negative tone" that appears in my next day posts.  We all have been burned by this franchise over the years and I no longer get my hopes up, even when things appear to be going our way.  I like to stay grounded if I can and part of that is reminding myself that while a W is a W, ugly or not, lucky or not, etc. this team hasn't really given us a lot to cheer for over the past 27 years. 

Trust me, I get giddy as hell, only to remind myself of 1996 and starting out 7-1 to only miss the playoffs.  And 2000, starting off 6-2 to finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs.  And 2008 to start off 6-2 and finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs.  It's my defense mechanism after so many years of let downs.

1 hour ago, skinsfan834 said:

To be fair, he is also a 7th round rookie... Think it falls more on the FO than anything else for having him be our back up plan should we suffer any injuries at corner. 

That being said, aside from the Odell catch and some other plays in the first half, he held his own in the second against a pretty talented receiver core. Would be more comfortable if we had additional veteran depth back there, but getting substantial playing time as a rookie will only make him a more valuable asset for our secondary in the long run. 

Yep OBJ shook Stroh’s “panties off” on a couple of plays.... but Stroh also had a nice pass break-up on a deep-deep bomb in the 2nd half that made up for the earlier mistakes.

he has upside.

28 minutes ago, SkinsFanRob said:

Wasnt CT in and out of the trainers bubble yesterday, after missing the last few games? Bibbs was injured yesterday as well.

I think that may have been a new look because CT has missed so much time.

A healthy and ready CT for the final half of the season would be amazing.

Guess I'll put this in here:

(Although I do not much agree with PFF all the time, it's news to read none the less)

Week 8 Sunday Standouts:  Defense from PFF

Mason Foster love....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-week-8-sunday-standouts-defense-2

LB Mason Foster, Washington Redskins

Key signature stat: Produced a  run stop percentage of 35.7%

Mason Foster stood out against the Giants in a big way. He was a one-man wrecking crew, producing 10 tackles, three assists, and seven defensive-stops. He played just 14 snaps against the run, yet he racked up an eye-opening five run-stops, good for a 35.7% stop percentage. 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

against my better judgment...I really want a Swearinger jersey

Yes.. exactly..it's what I should have went with when Mom asked me what Jersey I wanted for Christmas instead I got an Alex Smith Jersey I've always wanted a quarterback jersey and I like Alex Smith.

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yes.. exactly..it's what I should have went with when Mom asked me what Jersey I wanted for Christmas instead I got an Alex Smith Jersey I've always wanted a quarterback jersey and I like Alex Smith.

Celebrating Christmas early? Or did you get an Alex Smith Chiefs Jersey last year? 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

against my better judgment...I really want a Swearinger jersey

I do too. Although it was how he played against Dallas last week that made me want one. Yesterday only increased my want for it ? 

might have to put it on my Christmas list 

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Celebrating Christmas early? Or did you get an Alex Smith Chiefs Jersey last year? 

I do too. Although it was how he played against Dallas last week that made me want one. Yesterday only increased my want for it ? 

might have to put it on my Christmas list 

Nope this is when Mom starts asking what we want for Christmas and she starts shopping ?

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think there's room for Holsey.

We currently have 6 CB's on the roster - Norman, Dunny, Moreau, Johnson, Alexander, Stroman.

I don't see any way we make it 7.

So we'd have to drop one of those guys to PS. And considering they've all had decent playing time, it would be risky to do so.

I don’t disagree about the numbers and obviously you don’t want to lose ANY of the young guys or risk losing them. But this staff apparently loves holsey and he looked good last year. Right now we need corner help so I’d be shocked if they didn’t find a way to get him on the roster. I could see them trying to push Brantley to the PS since we aren’t going to deep or crazy with the Dline rotation. 

1 hour ago, petey hodge said:

Yeah, it was fun watching Kirk throw a Pick-6 last night.

thats exactly what Alex does not do.... and I’m ok with that!

Oh come on, I'm 100% behind Smith and glad that the week-to-week drama at QB is over for at least a year or two but at least be fair. That pick-6 was 100% on Diggs who stopped running his route for some reason.

I'm just hoping Smith will get better for the second half of the season.

7 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

5-2 feels so good.  The last time we went 5-2 to start the season was 2008.  Unless AP gets hurt, I don't see a total second half melt down like there was in 2008.  This season feels different.  

I was at the Rams loss in 2008. That messed up that entire season. It was weird because we blew that game to a terrible team at home in fairly fascinating fashion to fall to 4-2. But then we actually did win our next two against the Lions and Browns— two more terrible teams. But in each of those games we played progressively worse and we were clearly regressing overall as a team. We were 6-2 but it felt odd. I certainly didn’t foresee the 2-6 finish but I felt shaky for sure. 

This team is just flat better than the 2008 team and they are better in just about every area. Zorn and friends got hot during the four game win streak— the two road wins at Dallas and at Philly were nice and we looked legitimately good in those games, but it was a quick and clear regression from there. 

While we’ve been playing and winning a bit ugly these past three weeks I don’t think we are getting worse— I actually think it’s the opposite. I don’t watch this team and feel like I’m seeing something that isn’t sustainable. On the contrary, I think we are likely a few tweaks and improvements away from being REALLY good as opposed to a few back steps away from being bad. 

I have certainly seen my share of fades after good starts (1996, 1997, 2000, 2008). So I’m not planning my playoff trip yet by any means. But I will be truly surprised if we just fall off a cliff from here. I think at WORST we are a solidly above average NFL team— and we may very well end up being far better than that. 

I had to watch the game after the fact, on gamepass which was absolutely useless and cut out every 5 minutes meaning i had to restart the whole game and then find where i watched to. Absolutely infuriating.

That aside, i was pretty happy with the game. Sure we dont look explosive offensively, but we look generally competent. I thought there were some big leaps in terms of progress against the vagiants....

Alex Smith played well. He played pretty smart football, avoided sacks, made some decent throws and even got his wheels out a little bit. Sure it wasnt numbers that make your head explode and he missed some shots but generally he looked better than recent weeks. Baby steps but improvement nonetheless.

Who lit a fire under Swearinger? That dude is flat out balling and i love it. Really taking ownership over leading the Defense. We havent had a guy like him since London retired. He has a bit more fire and swagger than London but he is fast assuming the same leadership role.

Our CB depth is pretty shallow. Stroman has some potential but he was a hot mess yesterday in the first half but he did improve. We need Dunbar healthy in a hurry.

Adrian Peterson is the ****ing man. He is just a machine. 

Doctson is getting better. Definite signs of solid improvement from him. Hes starting to step up and we really need him too. Really pleased with his game yesterday.

The defensive front. My word. DaRon Payne is proving every single one of us who doubted the pick at 13 totally wrong. That kid can play and he is starting to dominate. Those Bama boys up front are looking fantastic. Love Bang's python analogy for the defense. ?

There isnt a running back in this league that scares me. We played most of the good ones and pulled their pants down. Our Defense can finally stop the run. About damn time we had a Defense that wasnt embarrassing us every week, but i dont think any of us dreamed we'd get this good, especially this quickly. 

Three wins in a row. Was RG3 the last time we managed that feat? It feels pretty damn good.

We find a way to win. We dont look dominant but we just keep winning ball games. I think we are playoff bound. I dont think we are the best team in the league but i dont think the eagles were last season either tbf. Any given sunday. I know its early in season still but i think we are a good enough football team to be in the postseason and who knows what can happen there.

5 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Oh come on, I'm 100% behind Smith and glad that the week-to-week drama at QB is over for at least a year or two but at least be fair. That pick-6 was 100% on Diggs who stopped running his route for some reason.

What’s funny about the folks that got a tingle in the pants over the pick six and keep talking about it, is that they are picking on the wrong play.  A few plays before it he kind of sacked himself and was lucky to have gotten a knee down to avoid it being a fumble.  That was the  actual bad play/brain fart he makes too often but not anywhere near as often as these folks would tell you he does.

The whole Kirk would have X record argument is pointless though.  The easy argument for them is that Kirk turns it over and Alex doesn’t, and any turnovers would have squandered games.  Sounds good, but it completely misses the fact that Kirk also creates way more positive plays that makes these games not as close and the margin for error greater.

Personally for me, the whole Kirk/Alex discussion that inevitably finds its way into every thread, only dilutes the discussion.  The discussion should solely be about the QB we do have.  But when he’s playing so poorly the only thing you have to hang you hat on is that his misses are so bad the defender can’t get a hold of it, we end up here.

46 minutes ago, kleese said:

I was at the Rams loss in 2008. That messed up that entire season. It was weird because we blew that game to a terrible team at home in fairly fascinating fashion to fall to 4-2. But then we actually did win our next two against the Lions and Browns— two more terrible teams. But in each of those games we played progressively worse and we were clearly regressing overall as a team. We were 6-2 but it felt odd. I certainly didn’t foresee the 2-6 finish but I felt shaky for sure. 

I think I was at this game too. Isn’t this the one where our lineman caught a deflected pass and instead of going down tried to run with it. Then fumbled and oj atogwe ran it back for a td right before half? If so yes I was there lol

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

-Smith is boring as hell. But I don't have the feeling of despair. It's more, "meh. Well, at least he probably won't turn it over".

NAILED it.  I've been trying to put my finger on it the past few weeks, and that just sums it up perfectly.  It's not Aaron Rodgers where we're gonna anticipate this miraculous last-minute drive.  It's just like watching a Jenga tower after you put your piece on top thinking, "Okay, okay, it's not gonna fall, we're good."

But yes, that lack of despair.  That's been replaced for me by the prevent defense. :(

Archived