Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Giants

KDawg

We can run the football and play good defense. That's a tried and tested formula to win 10 games in this league. You probably can't win a Super Bowl that way unless your D is all time great(which I don't think ours is....yet ;))but after the last few years of meh, I'd be thrilled with 10-6 or 11-5 and a potential 1st round game against good ol Kirk...what a storyline that would be.

But man is Smith frustrating to watch. I know we don't have the best skill players ever but Doctson, Reed, Davis, Peterson, and Thompson is good enough to be more productive than we have been. With that said, it wasn't ALL on Smith yesterday. We had multiple good drives completely derailed by penalties. Peterson fumbled a scoring drive away. Hop shanked a FG. Davis and Reed dropped passes that were right on target. A play here and a play there and we probably drop 30 yesterday. But, that's the difference between a good team and an elite team. We're a good team, but we aren't elite, and we probably won't be as long as Smith is QB.

This D is fantastic though. The DL dominated the 2nd half. I didn't like that we were unable to put much pressure in the 1st half but it looked like in the 2nd half we played more tight press man coverage which bought our DL that extra second it needed to get to Eli and bring him down. The LB play has improved(still think we could upgrade from Foster to a better athlete, but that's being nitpicky). I feel kinda bad for Smith. He's actually been pretty good at collapsing pockets and he's been great vs. the run but just isn't getting sacks in a contract year. MIght be good for us, we can bring him back cheaper.

In the secondary, Swearinger isn't just a Pro Bowler, he might be the best S in football. He's covering well downfield and playing the run like a boss. Norman has bounced back after the Saint debacle. Stro struggled early but I liked how he played in the 2nd half. Hopefully we can get Dunbar back soon. I think, along with ILB upgrade at Foster, we're a FS away from being legit dominant on D. Nicholson isn't very good.

But one thing not being talked about: SPECIAL TEAMS. Hopkins has mostly been money bad shank aside. Way is booming punts when he needs to, but more importantly this year he's actually pinning teams back as well. And the coverage has been fantastic. We still don't have much of a return game though but you can't have everything.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But one thing not being talked about: SPECIAL TEAMS. Hopkins has mostly been money bad shank aside. Way is booming punts when he needs to, but more importantly this year he's actually pinning teams back as well. And the coverage has been fantastic. We still don't have much of a return game though but you can't have everything.

Mentioned Way Hop in the OP. They are underrated for sure. 

Happy with a win against a division rival, on the road.  I don't care how horrible the Giants are right now, in the past, this is just the type of game we would go out and lose and kill any momentum we had started building up.  Not this time.  

I love how our defense is playing right now along with finally having a running game with AP.  Our defensive line is so much more improved and finally getting a pass rush and taking away the run is making the entire defense better.  With exception to Stroman......I cringe at every pass thrown his way.  

I've complained about the lack of targets Reid had been getting the first 6 games, well he got 12 yesterday............granted he only hauled in 7 for 38 yards.  At least he finally got plenty of opportunities. 

Doctson, 5 targets with 5 receptions for almost 50 yards...........really good day for the guy but I still think he was a waste of a 1st round pick and until he is consistent week in and week out, he gets minimal love.  (in my Yoda voice) Hater I am, hmmmmmmm.

Jay's play calling still sucks.  Running the ball on 3rd and 9 and passing the ball on 3rd and 1............and all the other bad plays called throughout the game.  It wasn't his worst game, but still annoying. 

On the AP fumble play, the call, imo, should have been to line up under center and just hand the damn ball off to AP up the middle instead of that awful shotgun run play.  Of course, I don't know what the actual play call was (was it a misdirection play or supposed to be a run to the right?), did AP try to improvise after the snap? 

When looking at it in slow motion, the o-line is engaging their blocks to the right, and Oliver Vernon is on the left, completely free.  After the hand off, AP cuts back towards the left and Vernon meets him immediately and forces him to the side where he is met by Collins and stripped.  If the actual play design was an inside zone run to the right, which the way they lined up indicated it was (at least to me) then AP is to blame for cutting back and running into a wall of defenders.  If it was a misdirection play called, then Jay needs to be Gibbs head slapped

Image result for gibbs head slap animated gif

I was happy we finally scored an offensive second half TD that was not in garbage time (Saints game).  Part of me wants to be slightly agitated because the play calling was going to be run, run, run, punt most likely and allow them a chance to tie.........but, AP broke it off and for that, I'm just going to sit back and smile and enjoy the W.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Right now they are #2 in rushing defense behind the Saints. They are truly #1. the Saints opponents are throwing a lot to stay in the game, the Redskins are not blowing out anyone, no one is abandoning their run game to shoot it out with the Redskins offense.

Let's give credit where credit is due.  The Saints are #1, we are number 2.

Very similar numbers again both defenses.  Opponents are not throwing anymore to stay in games than opponents of the Redskins are:

Passing attempts per game vs the Redskins:  37

Passing attempts per game vs the Saints:  36.3

Rushing attempts per game vs the Redskins:  20.9

Rushing attempts per game vs the Saints:  23

Rushing yards per carry vs the Redskins:  3.8

Rushing yards per carry vs the Saints:  3.2

Teams are running more against the Saints then teams against the Redskins for a less yards per carry.  Saints are (Surprisingly) playing great defense.

23 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Happy with a win against a division rival, on the road.  I don't care how horrible the Giants are right now, in the past, this is just the type of game we would go out and lose and kill any momentum we had started building up.  Not this time.  

I love how our defense is playing right now along with finally having a running game with AP.  Our defensive line is so much more improved and finally getting a pass rush and taking away the run is making the entire defense better.  With exception to Stroman......I cringe at every pass thrown his way.  

I've complained about the lack of targets Reid had been getting the first 6 games, well he got 12 yesterday............granted he only hauled in 7 for 38 yards.  At least he finally got plenty of opportunities. 

Doctson, 5 targets with 5 receptions for almost 50 yards...........really good day for the guy but I still think he was a waste of a 1st round pick and until he is consistent week in and week out, he gets minimal love.  (in my Yoda voice) Hater I am, hmmmmmmm.

Jay's play calling still sucks.  Running the ball on 3rd and 9 and passing the ball on 3rd and 1............and all the other bad plays called throughout the game.  It wasn't his worst game, but still annoying. 

On the AP fumble play, the call, imo, should have been to line up under center and just hand the damn ball off to AP up the middle instead of that awful shotgun run play.  Of course, I don't know what the actual play call was (was it a misdirection play or supposed to be a run to the right?), did AP try to improvise after the snap? 

When looking at it in slow motion, the o-line is engaging their blocks to the right, and Oliver Vernon is on the left, completely free.  After the hand off, AP cuts back towards the left and Vernon meets him immediately and forces him to the side where he is met by Collins and stripped.  If the actual play design was an inside zone run to the right, which the way they lined up indicated it was (at least to me) then AP is to blame for cutting back and running into a wall of defenders.  If it was a misdirection play called, then Jay needs to be Gibbs head slapped

I was happy we finally scored an offensive second half TD that was not in garbage time (Saints game).  Part of me wants to be slightly agitated because the play calling was going to be run, run, run, punt most likely and allow them a chance to tie.........but, AP broke it off and for that, I'm just going to sit back and smile and enjoy the W.

Hahaha my god you're the worst. 

-Another dominant game where the scoreboard doesn't do justice. We had the rare Hopkins miss, an AP fumble in the red zone (which got run back almost to our red zone), and a bunch of drives curtailed due to penalties. The Giants only made it interesting on drives where OBJ did OBJ things and against our prevent D late in the game.

-The D is great against the run, it's so nice to be a sieve. We've literally gone from worst to first in this category. I'm not saying we would have been this good last year, but for all of those who didn't buy the injury "excuse" last year can now see what a healthy, Ziggy Hood-less defense looks like.

-Alex Smith continues to not lose us games. He seemed to threw to WRs more often than the previous weeks and is building a rapport with the pass-catchers.

-I thoroughly enjoy the grinding offense. You know the big guys up front are enjoying it just as much as the DL is hating it. 

-That being said, we need some creativity with CT. I know that he's banged up and took a big shot in the ribs, but we need to get this man in some open space.

-AP, Swearinger, and Ioannidis were absolute studs. Swearinger was rated as the #1 SS in the league coming into the game and I'm sure that two picks didn't hurt that ranking. 

-Stroman is the only weak link.

Many of us agreed that the same defensive game plan that worked vs the Panthers and the Cowboys would also work against the Giants, and it did. Now we will be facing a different offense and this will be a true test. The Falcons coming off a bye and then the Bucs. Two explosive, pass-first offenses with very talented WR corps. We obviously struggled mightily vs the Saints who run the same concept, but I chalked that up to Drew Brees day. These next two games are the tests we need to see if we can compete with everyone. 

1 hour ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I am not feeling good about Stroman going forward.  He needs work/help.  I fear the Falcons will not go away from him at all.

He played a lot better after those early game roasts. The turning point was when he caught up to and knocked the ball out of Shep's hands. After that, I don't think he gave up much. The Giants did nothing after that outside of Eli chucking it and drawing PI calls(which by the way has to be the most obnoxious way to get big chunks of yards, PI is waaaaay too punitive of a penalty).

My only take aways from yesterday are this:

It is EXTREMELY hard to win a division road game in the NFCE. I dont care how bad the opponent is. And we have had our asses handed to us in New York for DECADES. That was a hell of a win no matter what anyone says. 

This defense is legit. We have not only shut down some of the best RB's in the league, but we are dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Go back and watch some tape of our lines on both sides. Utter physical domination the past 3 weeks. 

19 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Hahaha my god you're the worst. 

-Another dominant game where the scoreboard doesn't do justice. We had the rare Hopkins miss, an AP fumble in the red zone (which got run back almost to our red zone), and a bunch of drives curtailed due to penalties. The Giants only made it interesting on drives where OBJ did OBJ things and against our prevent D late in the game.

-The D is great against the run, it's so nice to be a sieve. We've literally gone from worst to first in this category. I'm not saying we would have been this good last year, but for all of those who didn't buy the injury "excuse" last year can now see what a healthy, Ziggy Hood-less defense looks like.

-Alex Smith continues to not lose us games. He seemed to threw to WRs more often than the previous weeks and is building a rapport with the pass-catchers.

-I thoroughly enjoy the grinding offense. You know the big guys up front are enjoying it just as much as the DL is hating it. 

-That being said, we need some creativity with CT. I know that he's banged up and took a big shot in the ribs, but we need to get this man in some open space.

-AP, Swearinger, and Ioannidis were absolute studs. Swearinger was rated as the #1 SS in the league coming into the game and I'm sure that two picks didn't hurt that ranking. 

-Stroman is the only weak link.

Many of us agreed that the same defensive game plan that worked vs the Panthers and the Cowboys would also work against the Giants, and it did. Now we will be facing a different offense and this will be a true test. The Falcons coming off a bye and then the Bucs. Two explosive, pass-first offenses with very talented WR corps. We obviously struggled mightily vs the Saints who run the same concept, but I chalked that up to Drew Brees day. These next two games are the tests we need to see if we can compete with everyone. 

I'm the worst?  Slow your role fella.  I said I loved the win, love our defense and running game.  Loved that Reid was getting more targets, loved that we scored a TD in the second half of a game.  All of that is great, I am happy as a puppy with two peckers.

But there are still things that get on my nerves and agitate me, Jay's play calling, Doctson's play (yesterday it was really good, will it continue or will he lay a goose egg next week?).  And the AP fumble play was an example of what I consider a bad play call from Jay.  I don't think we should have lined up in shotgun and ran the ball, I think we should have lined up under center and let AP do his thing.  

Then pointed out that either the fumble could be blamed on Jay's call or AP trying to improvise (depending on what the exact call was - we don't know if it was a misdirection run to the left or a standard zone run to the right).  And Stroman is horrible, not David Amerson horrible, but still pretty bad, imo.

I am not feeling good about Stroman going forward.  He needs work/help.  I fear the Falcons will not go away from him at all.

Actually after that horrid PI, he started to play much better.  In fact dare I say he is learning quick for such a young dude.  Still he does need help, and certainly you can't leave him out there by himself with Jones lets say.  

2 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

I'm not mad at your proclamation because you may be right.  Time will tell, however, so I need to see more before I go all in with you.

I was thinking the same thing.  Our defense is definitely better, but let's see what they do against real NFL offenses and do it consistently before we go talking about a Super Bowl defense yet.  The Falcons aren't the Falcons of the last couple of seasons imo, but they will be a better barometer to see what we are really made of.  They have a solid QB over there.  We've only beaten one good QB this year, so I can't wait to see what we do against Matty Ice.

For any who think Smith is slow, I thought him chasing down the fumble return was a pretty impressive show of his wheels.

Also, I think many on here may be discounting the offenses role on our defense.  Ever heard the phrase, "the best defense is a good offense?"  While we are plodding along but not scoring 30 a game, we are also limiting the number of possessions our opponents have.  I think this is a very underrated part of having Smith as our QB.  We are doing a great job eating clock. 

6 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Actually after that horrid PI, he started to play much better.  In fact dare I say he is learning quick for such a young dude.  Still he does need help, and certainly you can't leave him out there by himself with Jones lets say.  

Admittedly, I didn’t get a chance to see the game yet but from what I’ve seen he’s above average for a 7th rounder and playing a way bigger role than was expected or planned. 

One thing I’m VERY excited for - we should get Holsey back in a few weeks. If Dunny returns around the same timeframe we’ll be in good shape. Unfortunately I wish it was now cuz we could use them against the Falcons and bucs. 

4 minutes ago, gbear said:

While we are plodding along but not scoring 30 a game, we are also limiting the number of possessions our opponents have.  I think this is a very underrated part of having Smith as our QB.  We are doing a great job eating clock. 

Good point.  I believe the Redskins lead the NFL in time of possession.

Would be a good thing if we can get AP going on Sunday and keep Ryan & Julio off the field.  Keep the chains moving and don't turn it over. 

we're second in TOP:  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

OK.

This was game that most years, we go and stink up the joint. We didn't. I think that Saints game, and Peterson, have made the difference.

I think after the Saints game, everyone was embarrassed and I think one person in particular made sure that everyone was going to prepare better.

That man is Adrian Peterson. He said it in a interview after the loss. This team would not come out flat or unprepared again.

It hasn't.

Just now, Chew said:

Good point.  I believe the Redskins lead the NFL in time of possession.

Would be a good thing if we can get AP going on Sunday and keep Ryan & Julio off the field.  Keep the chains moving and don't turn it over. 

we're second in TOP:  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Our style of play is definitely helping the D stay rested, limiting teams total possessions.

That last min TD by the Giants sucked to see.

To be fair, he is also a 7th round rookie... Think it falls more on the FO than anything else for having him be our back up plan should we suffer any injuries at corner. 

That being said, aside from the Odell catch and some other plays in the first half, he held his own in the second against a pretty talented receiver core. Would be more comfortable if we had additional veteran depth back there, but getting substantial playing time as a rookie will only make him a more valuable asset for our secondary in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm the worst?  Slow your role fella.  I said I loved the win, love our defense and running game.  Loved that Reid was getting more targets, loved that we scored a TD in the second half of a game.  All of that is great, I am happy as a puppy with two peckers.

But there are still things that get on my nerves and agitate me, Jay's play calling, Doctson's play (yesterday it was really good, will it continue or will he lay a goose egg next week?).  And the AP fumble play was an example of what I consider a bad play call from Jay.  I don't think we should have lined up in shotgun and ran the ball, I think we should have lined up under center and let AP do his thing.  

Then pointed out that either the fumble could be blamed on Jay's call or AP trying to improvise (depending on what the exact call was - we don't know if it was a misdirection run to the left or a standard zone run to the right).  And Stroman is horrible, not David Amerson horrible, but still pretty bad, imo.

Haha alright I must have skimmed over the happy part. It seems like you have a negative spin on every game regardless of the outcome. For instance, it's a ridiculous stretch when you blame Jay for AP's fumble... I get it, you hate Jay, but come on man. AP tried to make magic instead of taking the 2 yards available up the gut and then lost concentration. The majority of run plays don't go for big gains, but to blame Jay for the fumble is a bit much.

And Stroman wasn't nearly as horrible as you say. I went back and watched the NFL Game Rewind and aside from being burned by OBJ early, he played well. He's a 7th round rookie vs OBJ. Most solid DBs can't handle that one-on-one. 

5 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

3.  Can we finally agree to STOP RUNNING CHRIS THOMPSON UP THE GUT???!  EVER?! 

For the record, I'd be fine holding CT out until he's completely better and playing Bibbs. CT looks like a shell of himself right now and I thought Bibbs was more elusive than anything I've seen from Thompson since week 1. 

Archived