Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Giants

KDawg

Huge win! That was a dangerous game for us going against a desperate for a win division opponent at their stadium. I don't think anybody, Skins fans & NFL fans alike, would have been surprised if the Giants beat us yesterday. But we didn't waver & once again held tough for the win. Pretty much the same formula in all our wins- Strong D, Run the ball well, solid special teams & take care of the ball. Smith continues to look blah for the most part, but he's not turning the ball over, seems to make just enough plays & we're winning. 

What's starting to look apparent to me is that we have a team of leaders, who are playing for each other & actually give a hoot if they win or lose. That might sound obvious, but I have definately questioned our player leadership over the years & certainly have questioned if a lot of them could care less if we won or lost.

Call it old school football, boring football, winning ugly or anything else not associated with winning in style. I'm loving this teams toughness & togetherness right now. But more than anything, I love that we're winning, in first place & are entering November with everything very much in play for us.

Honestly I think the offense is getting better, more efficient and gaining more yards. The issue that remains is they aren't scoring TD's.  Yesterday that AP fumble really hurt as the game could have been basically a wrap a lot sooner if they went on to score a TD on that drive.

No one will confuse the passing game as prolific, but it is doing enough lately to get the ball to the red zone (coupled with the running game).

Right now my fear is that the run game is all AP (personnel-wise).   CT still can't go half a game without getting injured, and I am not sure if the coaches have turned the page on Perine or what, but I feel like AP is getting more carries at this point in the season then I hoped he'd have to. 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our DLine played great, but doesn't it seem like Eli is the most sackable QB.

You get a finger near him, and he doesn't put up much resistance, or attempt to elude.

Part of that is lack of ability and mobility to elude, but it just seems like he doesn't attempt much either.

I think he’s had his bell rung a few times too many. There were at least two sacks yesterday where he just stood there, looking like his drunk pic, and watched one of our guys lower the boom. Sad. 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Honestly I think the offense is getting better, more efficient and gaining more yards. The issue that remains is they aren't scoring TD's.  Yesterday that AP fumble really hurt as the game could have been basically a wrap a lot sooner if they went on to score a TD on that drive.

No one will confuse the passing game as prolific, but it is doing enough lately to get the ball to the red zone (coupled with the running game).

Right now my fear is that the run game is all AP (personnel-wise).   CT still can't go half a game without getting injured, and I am not sure if the coaches have turned the page on Perine or what, but I feel like AP is getting more carries at this point in the season then I hoped he'd have to. 

We were pretty close to absolutely blowing the Giants out yesterday. We lost 3 points on the Hop miss and at least another 3 on the Peterson fumble. We also had a couple promising looking drives derailed by bad penalties.

That's the issue though with this offense. Because we don't stretch the field and aren't that explosive, one bad play kills us. If we hold, its basically an automatic punt because we're unable to pick up a chunk back to give us a chance. Most teams that get into 1st and 20 can salvage it into a 2nd and ~12 and in turn a 3rd and ~7, giving you a chance. We often go 1st and 20 into another incomplete, 1 yard run on 2nd down, and now we're at 3rd and 11 which is no chance.

1 hour ago, SkinsFanRob said:

I think I was at this game too. Isn’t this the one where our lineman caught a deflected pass and instead of going down tried to run with it. Then fumbled and oj atogwe ran it back for a td right before half? If so yes I was there lol

Yes, Pete Kendall. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Harshing my buzz, but this is a totally legitimate concern to be concerned over. 

Maybe at worst, it would be like the 2013 Chiefs vs Colts. Maybe the pass game by that time can be developed enough to step up. When Jamaal Charles got hurt and was out early in that game, everyone freaked out.. but the pass game exploded into lots of first half points regardless. Of course, the defense had an epic collapse, but that much is irrelevant here and now. ? 

8 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Our defense is definitely better, but let's see what they do against real NFL offenses and do it consistently before we go talking about a Super Bowl defense yet.  The Falcons aren't the Falcons of the last couple of seasons imo, but they will be a better barometer to see what we are really made of.  They have a solid QB over there.  We've only beaten one good QB this year, so I can't wait to see what we do against Matty Ice.

They shut down the Panthers? The 5-2 Panthers who might be 6-1 if they didnt play us.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We were pretty close to absolutely blowing the Giants out yesterday. We lost 3 points on the Hop miss and at least another 3 on the Peterson fumble. We also had a couple promising looking drives derailed by bad penalties.

That's the issue though with this offense. Because we don't stretch the field and aren't that explosive, one bad play kills us. If we hold, its basically an automatic punt because we're unable to pick up a chunk back to give us a chance. Most teams that get into 1st and 20 can salvage it into a 2nd and ~12 and in turn a 3rd and ~7, giving you a chance. We often go 1st and 20 into another incomplete, 1 yard run on 2nd down, and now we're at 3rd and 11 which is no chance.

Agreed on all counts. I think we will take more shots down the field against Atlanta. With the current NFL rules you are almost guaranteed a catch, pass interference or defensive holding penalty when you do. And that helped us tremendously yesterday.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:31 AM, London Kev said:

the first three quarters and will be watching the full game later, but Doctson had five receptions off five targets for 49 yards. I've been saying it for a while, don't

After giving it some time to percolate I realized that we beat the Giants. Barely.

They were one recovered onside kick and hail mary away from winning. 

The 1 win Giants.

Yay we got 7 sacks off of the worst OL in the NFL. Roll Tide would roll them up. Heck Alabama (not our Bama, but the actual U of Bamma) might be favored against the Gmen right now.

Atlanta and Houston represent a better meter of where we are.

I am glad to see Norman staying quiet and letting his play speak for him.

It was great to see that Kerrigan could have a multiple sack game against a horrible OL. 

It was nice to see a WR almost break 50 yards receiving.

We still have the major issues,

Non-Effective Pass rush from our OLB.

An AP injury away from having zero offense.

A TE unit that is aging and disappears or has penalties in key moments.

Yes, I'll enjoy the win, but I still tend towards this is fools gold and not sustainable.

18 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

They shut down the Panthers? The 5-2 Panthers who might be 6-1 if they didnt play us.

Ive seen the Dolphins beat the Patriots...  That doesn't mean they were capable of doing it on a consistent basis.  Yeah we did beat a good Panthers team....  But other than that, we haven't beaten any good teams.  So I don't know how some have come to mentioning us having a Super Bowl caliber defense right now.  Let us play some games against quality teams first to prove that we are legit and as good as advertised first.  We beat the Giants, but I had some concerns from that game because they are a horrible team and I felt we struggled in certain areas at times.  A win is a win, but I still can't wait to find out who we really are.  The upcoming schedule will give us a better feel on what we got here.

3 hours ago, jbird said:

After giving it some time to percolate I realized that we beat the Giants. Barely.

They were one recovered onside kick and hail mary away from winning. 

The 1 win Giants.

Yay we got 7 sacks off of the worst OL in the NFL. Roll Tide would roll them up. Heck Alabama (not our Bama, but the actual U of Bamma) might be favored against the Gmen right now.

Atlanta and Houston represent a better meter of where we are.

I am glad to see Norman staying quiet and letting his play speak for him.

It was great to see that Kerrigan could have a multiple sack game against a horrible OL. 

It was nice to see a WR almost break 50 yards receiving.

We still have the major issues,

Non-Effective Pass rush from our OLB.

An AP injury away from having zero offense.

A TE unit that is aging and disappears or has penalties in key moments.

Yes, I'll enjoy the win, but I still tend towards this is fools gold and not sustainable.

I'm not really sure why you quoted me to spout this nonsense, but I'll respond anyway.

The chance of recovering an expected onside kick is about 10%, even if they score on the Hail Mary 25% of the time then they still only had about a 2.5% chance to win the game. I wouldn't call that "barely" beating them.

I think that seven sacks against any NFL team is quite impressive, Yay.

I don't follow college football, but I very much doubt that any college team would beat any NFL team. Maybe other posters could clarify this, but I'm calling BS.

You were happy that Kerrigan had multiple sacks, but have a major issue with the non-effective pass rush from our OLB? Umm.... okay.

I agree that if AP went down then the offense would be severely hampered. Saying that it would be zero is just hyperbole though.

Reed is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league right now and had seven catches against the giants. He never disappeared off of my screen.  Maybe get your TV checked?

I've already stated my concern with this offense scoring multiple times when playing from behind, so you may be right; it may not be sustainable. The next few games will be a real test.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the win.

14 hours ago, London Kev said:

The 5-2 Panthers won on a 63-yard field goal. Most of their games are close.

Atlanta  and Houston represent a better meter of where we are.

Do they? The Falcons won by 3, their 1 win was against the Texans.

Only 2 of their losses have come by more than 1 score-- Eagles and Saints. The latter is beating the **** out of everyone and is probably the best team in the NFC, even better than the Rams.

We 4-13 at NY heading into the game. We lost to the then 2-13 Giants there last year.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Only 2 of their losses have come by more than 1 score-- Eagles and Saints. The latter is beating the **** out of everyone and is probably the best team in the NFC, even better than the Rams.

We 4-13 at NY heading into the game. We lost to the then 2-13 Giants there last year.

I guess that you meant to quote jbird and my name somehow appeared above his quote?

22 hours ago, London Kev said:

I'm not really sure why you quoted me to spout this nonsense, but I'll respond anyway.

The chance of recovering an expected onside kick is about 10%, even if they score on the Hail Mary 25% of the time then they still only had about a 2.5% chance to win the game. I wouldn't call that "barely" beating them. The odds don't matter, the fact is that the last 3 games we have won have been nail-biters that could have gone either way. Even dominating the Giants statistically, the scoreboard says otherwise and if you think the Giants were out of it, you have not been a fan of the Skins for very long.

I think that seven sacks against any NFL team is quite impressive, Yay. Yeah any given Sunday I hear ya....... So 7 sacks against the Pats are about the same as 7 sacks against the Giants?

I don't follow college football, but I very much doubt that any college team would beat any NFL team. Maybe other posters could clarify this, but I'm calling BS. I doubt it as well, but if any team could do it, Bama could beat the Giants this season.

You were happy that Kerrigan had multiple sacks, but have a major issue with the non-effective pass rush from our OLB? Umm.... okay. Listen I really like Kerrigan but this has been my developing issue with him from the beginning of this season. He is one of our top paid players. The fans love him and value him as an underrated top flight pass rusher. Look at his stats. Yeah, he gets a lot of sacks every year, but the majority come in bunches against really bad teams. Every once in a while he comes up with a game-changer, but for the most part, he has not been effective this year save for the Giants game. And I note that you didn't mention Preston Smith. Go ahead and argue that Smith and RK have been monsters this year. No way. They have been adequate and with the performance of the DL adequate OLB play is a waste of opportunity. Shoot, Lorenzo Alexander has the same number of sacks as Kerrigan so far this year at this point....

I agree that if AP went down then the offense would be severely hampered. Saying that it would be zero is just hyperbole though. Perine is going to step in and get it done? Smith is going to start chucking it 300 yards with 2-3 TD per game, especially with teams focusing on the run? Zero I say, zero Offense if AP goes down.

Reed is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league right now and had seven catches against the giants. He never disappeared off of my screen.  Maybe get your TV checked? Yep 7 of 12. (That is almost 50/50 territory) for 38 yards (over 3 yards per catch!!!) MONSTER! He even has 1 TD almost halfway through the year!!! (0 in the last 6 games) Glad we checked the stats........GIVE THE MAN A RAISE!!!! He has remained healthy this year, I will give him credit for that, but 1 td all year, and 4 catches per game for 43 yards per game is pretty pedestrian for $9.3 mil per year. (5th highest salary on the team) 

I've already stated my concern with this offense scoring multiple times when playing from behind, so you may be right; it may not be sustainable. Agreed! The next few games will be a real test.  Smith has been finding some success with his WR's so there may be help coming in the coming weeks. If we are to make any noise in the paloffs we better hope so. Hopefully the D continues to play lights out, and AP runs like it is 2008.  

I'm glad that you enjoyed the win. Actually I did thanks!

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

My reasoning is this:

Falcons while  balanced team with a good O and a D that is maybe a little above average. They are also going to be amped to get up to .500 against us

The bucs are talented but a mess. We could blow them out or get Fitzmagic'ed into oblivion. They can score a lot of points quick and are no gimmie.

Houston have won their last 5 straight and dropped 42 on the Fins. They are bit more balanced team.

Our next 3 games are in the division (and could go either way)

and who knows what the Jags and the Titans will look like near the end of the season.

1 hour ago, jbird said:

Blah, blah, blah.

OK, you've changed your original points a bit, but this is kind of fun, so...

The odds don't matter, the fact is that the last 3 games we have won have been nail-biters that could have gone either way. Even dominating the Giants statistically, the scoreboard says otherwise and if you think the Giants were out of it, you have not been a fan of the Skins for very long.  I never said that I thought they were out of it, I just refuted your statement about us "barely" beating them and gave the probability as I saw it. Also (not that it matters) but I've been a fan since 1983.

Yeah any given Sunday I hear ya....... So 7 sacks against the Pats are about the same as 7 sacks against the Giants?  No, 7 sacks against the Pats would be very impressive, 7 sacks against the giants was quite impressive, like I said.

I doubt it as well, but if any team could do it, Bama could beat the Giants this season.  No, no they really couldn't.

Go ahead and argue that Smith and RK have been monsters this year. No way. They have been adequate and with the performance of the DL adequate OLB play is a waste of opportunity. Shoot, Lorenzo Alexander has the same number of sacks as Kerrigan so far this year at this point....  I don't need to argue that they have been monsters, you said "non-effective" which is incorrect. If you're now saying that they haven't been as effective as was expected then I agree, but non-effective is just wrong.

Perine is going to step in and get it done? Smith is going to start chucking it 300 yards with 2-3 TD per game, especially with teams focusing on the run? Zero I say, zero Offense if AP goes down.  Again, this is just hyperbole (now with a little straw-man thrown in for good luck) Do you really think that we would have zero yards passing and zero yards rushing without Peterson? We would struggle without him for sure, but zero? Come on.

Yep 7 of 12. (That is almost 50/50 territory) for 38 yards (over 3 yards per catch!!!) MONSTER! He even has 1 TD almost halfway through the year!!! (0 in the last 6 games) Glad we checked the stats........GIVE THE MAN A RAISE!!!! He has remained healthy this year, I will give him credit for that, but 1 td all year, and 4 catches per game for 43 yards per game is pretty pedestrian for $9.3 mil per year. (5th highest salary on the team)  But you originally said that the TEs disappeared in the giants game, which they obviously didn't. Reed had 7 catches for 38 yards (5.4 yards per catch!!!).

Agreed! The next few games will be a real test.  Smith has been finding some success with his WR's so there may be help coming in the coming weeks. If we are to make any noise in the paloffs we better hope so. Hopefully the D continues to play lights out, and AP runs like it is 2008.  We finally agree on something.

Actually I did thanks! I'm glad, I did too.

Look, all this copying, pasting and bolding isn't as fun as I first thought. I've got no problem with you whatsoever, but you did quote me (still not sure why?) and then go into some nonsensical rant full of exaggerations, which is why I originally replied so sarcastically. If you want to have the last word on this little (enjoyable) exchange, then go for it, but all I'll probably do is "like" your post and move on. :cheers:

**** the giants, HTTR.

I was yelling at the TV right after the play, but wanted to bring it up here and see what others thought. On the play where Shepard burns Strohman and then Strohman catches him and knocks the ball out, I was yelling for a challenge on that play. If you watch it, looks to me like Shepard caught the ball, shifted it in his hands to running, and then fumbled it. 

5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I was yelling at the TV right after the play, but wanted to bring it up here and see what others thought. On the play where Shepard burns Strohman and then Strohman catches him and knocks the ball out, I was yelling for a challenge on that play. If you watch it, looks to me like Shepard caught the ball, shifted it in his hands to running, and then fumbled it. 

dude we just learned the previous catch rule.....now were confused again 

But I think you've got to catch get two feet down then make a legit move? (basically three-four steps?) I don't think he took enough steps. it was bang bang 

26 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I had that thought too, but I think it was smart to let it go.

27 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

dude we just learned the previous catch rule.....now were confused again 

But I think you've got to catch get two feet down then make a legit move? (basically three-four steps?) I don't think he took enough steps. it was bang bang 

It's different this year, just a football move is enough, no number of steps. As it was he took at least one step, maybe two, and the main football move was him shifting the ball down to run with it.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I had that thought too, but I think it was smart to let it go.

Yeah the only thing I was unsure about was if one of our guys picked it up or not after the play.

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

It's different this year, just a football move is enough, no number of steps. As it was he took at least one step, maybe two, and the main football move was him shifting the ball down to run with it.

Yeah the only thing I was unsure about was if one of our guys picked it up or not after the play.

We did, but as the whistle had pretty much blown the play dead the refs probably would have counted the catch and disallowed the recovery since the whistle limited the chances for the Giants' recovery. In other words, had we challenged we might have got royally screwed.

29 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I was too, but then I thought about the Dez catch no catch and thought it's probably not worth the challenge

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We did, but as the whistle had pretty much blown the play dead the refs probably would have counted the catch and disallowed the recovery since the whistle limited the chances for the Giants' recovery.

Is that how that works? Thought that many times I have seen someone ruled down by contact but on review the ball was given to the recovering team even though the whistle had blown. At least in the end we won either way.

14 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

But was it done while he was establishing feet after the catch or afterwards? I think that may be a determining factor now...make the catch and establish the feet for possession then make some kind of legitimate move upfield after possession. The play was close if I remember right, but probably borderline either way. Video of it would be cool

Archived