Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Saints

KDawg

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

What? He killed us in preseason. He looked great in preseason. Do you have him confused with someone else???

Nope I sure don't, and going 13 out of 15 for 130 yards with a TD and a pick I wouldn't refer to as killing us. I just don't think he has a future in the NFL. I think he's done. Could be wrong just my opinion. 

See, only Trent is older and one of our better players. Davis? REALLY?! No, you're wrong here Our best players are:

Crowder, Allen, Payne, Dunbar, Scherff, Reed, Swearinger, and Thompson. Not Old.?

Now, in regards to the coaching staff, I do agree with you.

What I said was that our best players were either old OR they were soon to be free agents. The guys you mentioned as not old - Crowder, Scherff - going to be free agents next year. Free agents in 2 years - Dunbar, Swearinger, Thompson.

One other you mentioned - Reed - I'd be willing to bet $ if there was a wager somewhere about this that he is not on the team next season. 

The only guys that don't fit into this short window I'm talking about is Allen and Payne. Fine players in their own right but not the type of player positions you see teams building around for the long haul. 

I never said they were all old. I said the win-now mindset you find confusing comes from a team made up of old and soon to be gone players. And you just increased my belief in that with those mentions. 

Yeah, well WR in the draft, especially the 1st round is a utter crapshoot. See: Doctson, Joshua. going after a good FA IMO is a much safer bet.

And honestly, we needed a NT worse than any other position, so I agree with the Payne pick.

True and you will see me normally say I would rather go after a Free Agent receiver like I posted here yesterday because they are safer. However the reason it made more sense this draft over others was because the choice was DT or ?

I mentioned this in my last post. This front office misses the small basic understanding of first round draft picks in general and on top of that simply doesn't understand how contracts must play a role in draft selection. 

What is the number 13 draft pick making? 14 million over the next 4 years. 

Now what does a Defensive Tackle make? Well check it out

https://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-tackle/

Payne is listed as the sixth highest paid player at this position. Being this highly paid is why the NFL went to a rookie wage scale. That rookie scale was supposed to make rookies get less money than veterans. Being in the league for 4 games and is the 6th highest paid means that teams find this type of player cheap. 

By comparison had the team drafted the receiver I thought they should they would be paying him near bottom of the wage scale for his position

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

Some teams understand this and so teams don't. We don't. I have nothing against the player Payne but this hurts the team not only this year but future years. Its one of the reasons never to draft for "need" only. And that's ignoring the fact that free agent wide receivers are getting insane contracts these days.

This was just something I considered during the discussion about the draft. Had they taken the receiver they would have someone to help this depressing wide receiver group and QB transition. They did the opposite and actually gave Alex less weapons then Kirk had last season if you consider Ryan Grant as a subtraction and the only additions already on IR. Not making excuses for Alex just saying it's another way the front office continues to screw up. 

True enough. I suppose that when I look at the roster, that getting Alex Smith was not going to change everything for us, like it seems many people though. In fact, we might be worse off now, even with some semblance of a running game and a slightly improved Defense. But that was almost all I heard, and I suppose that Alex's age had a lot to do with it. But, we're not winning anything now.

Not even the offseason anymore.

It's a race against time. Every hour glass is emptying for each player and coach every week. NFL = Not for Long.

The thing is that last nights game just made me come to a realization that October 30th is coming quickly (trade deadline) and if they want to try and win this year they need to go out and sign some players immediately (doubling down on the stupidity that rules this teams management), OR they need to go and ship any valuable pieces they can out the door before cutting guys and plan for the next season.

I realize that this is Bruce and he is a complete moron and wouldn't think like that but I can. At this point they need to see that the sooner they blow it up the better they are going to be. Let's get to the firings and get a head start on the next search. It's gonna happen sooner or later might as well start changing the culture and holding people accountable now and shedding the country club mentality. I know Dan's an idiot and this is just a pipe dream but in my opinion it's the right thing to do. 

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

That happens all the time, actually. It's to put the curl defender in a bind. If he follows the first slant the second one is open. If he stays for the second, the first one is open. At least that's the theory. Doesn't always work like that.

Yeah, I run that but I also have an arrow to the same sideline underneath.  It's an easy read and Alex needs a lot of those.  Anytime he has to change his feet and work through his progressions he looks really uncomfortable.  He bounces instead of hitching his feet in the right directions. 

Ultimately, last night was still just one game. We've had seasons with awful losses and bounce back to make playoff runs. The NFC East is still very weak and we're still in 1st place.

In all likelihood, even if we showed up and played at 100% of our max capabilities last night, we weren't going to win. Sometimes you're just set up to lose a game, like playing the Giants after their owner died. By the way, we made the playoffs that year too.

I think I'm over the Redskins.  I went almost the whole day without thinking about it and was watching french cooking videos when the wide said "do you want me turn to turn on the game?"  Kinda wish she hadn't....  Turned it off before the half and back to Youtube to pick a recipe for this weekend.  That's where I'm at these days.  I'm looking for things that are going to make me happy

I was a big fan of getting rid of Kirk and thought Smith was about the best replacement we could hope for, being pretty much a wash for KC. I'm still a fan of getting rid of Cousins (regardless of what our FO SHOULD have done with regards to signing him, they didn't, they let him bleed us dry and I was sick of him being a leech and talking out of both sides of his mouth whilst shoving the cash in his pockets) but I am really seriously concerned about how bad Smith has looked so far, he never even looked like keeping us in the game yesterday (although the defense did a pretty good job on giving him a really **** situation to work with).

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Nope I sure don't, and going 13 out of 15 for 130 yards with a TD and a pick I wouldn't refer to as killing us. I just don't think he has a future in the NFL. I think he's done. Could be wrong just my opinion. 

Well, it's ALL opinion, but honestly 13 for 15 and a TD (pick was a batted ball I believe) is very good. And he was aces in the other games, as well. Now, you might think he's done, but there isn't anything from this to suggest it. The fact that the Saints traded for him says as much.

What exactly is your issue with him? I have not yet heard why you think he is suddenly so bad, when he was a pretty good QB before he got hurt.

What I said was that our best players were either old OR they were soon to be free agents. The guys you mentioned as not old - Crowder, Scherff - going to be free agents next year. Free agents in 2 years - Dunbar, Swearinger, Thompson.

One other you mentioned - Reed - I'd be willing to bet $ if there was a wager somewhere about this that he is not on the team next season. 

The only guys that don't fit into this short window I'm talking about is Allen and Payne. Fine players in their own right but not the type of player positions you see teams building around for the long haul. 

I never said they were all old. I said the win-now mindset you find confusing comes from a team made up of old and soon to be gone players. And you just increased my belief in that with those mentions. 

I guess, if you don't want to resign anyone. But then, you're never going to go anywhere doing that, so it's more of a loose now attitude.

True and you will see me normally say I would rather go after a Free Agent receiver like I posted here yesterday because they are safer. However the reason it made more sense this draft over others was because the choice was DT or ?

I mentioned this in my last post. This front office misses the small basic understanding of first round draft picks in general and on top of that simply doesn't understand how contracts must play a role in draft selection. 

What is the number 13 draft pick making? 14 million over the next 4 years. 

Now what does a Defensive Tackle make? Well check it out

https://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-tackle/

Payne is listed as the sixth highest paid player at this position. Being this highly paid is why the NFL went to a rookie wage scale. That rookie scale was supposed to make rookies get less money than veterans. Being in the league for 4 games and is the 6th highest paid means that teams find this type of player cheap. 

Well, now you're going at things in a very different angle, which can cause you to make even bigger mistakes. Now, because you're looking at typical cap numbers for a guy, you're basically saying you're not goign to take a big time guy at a position that is deemed unimportant via "average salary" and take a guy that is much more likely to bust because he's not that good, but his position says "well, this guys is cheap".

**** cap numbers. You take the guy that is your best combo of BPA/need. Period. You know what happens when you get too cute with the money thing?

You get a average football team that has no hope of ever getting better.

By comparison had the team drafted the receiver I thought they should they would be paying him near bottom of the wage scale for his position

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

Which is great if he doesn't suck. But sucks if he sucks.

Some teams understand this and so teams don't. We don't. I have nothing against the player Payne but this hurts the team not only this year but future years. Its one of the reasons never to draft for "need" only. And that's ignoring the fact that free agent wide receivers are getting insane contracts these days.

Not sure Payne was "need only". I suppose you could make an argument for it, but I don't think it's very strong. and i don't think I need to tell you about what missing on a 1st round WR feel like.

This was just something I considered during the discussion about the draft. Had they taken the receiver they would have someone to help this depressing wide receiver group and QB transition. They did the opposite and actually gave Alex less weapons then Kirk had last season if you consider Ryan Grant as a subtraction and the only additions already on IR. Not making excuses for Alex just saying it's another way the front office continues to screw up. 

When you add Richardson, you have a net gain. Grant was, and is, a 4th WR at best. He's terrible as a starter. We have a better corps than last year. Getting Doctson off the field also makes it a net gain. Healthy Reed? Net gain. Alex has a lot more to work with than Cousins did last year. OL is in much better shape, a RB that can actually scare people, better, healthier WR corps.

It's a race against time. Every hour glass is emptying for each player and coach every week. NFL = Not for Long.

The thing is that last nights game just made me come to a realization that October 30th is coming quickly (trade deadline) and if they want to try and win this year they need to go out and sign some players immediately (doubling down on the stupidity that rules this teams management), OR they need to go and ship any valuable pieces they can out the door before cutting guys and plan for the next season.

Just what do you think we're winning? Seriously? I want to know what "winning" means.

I realize that this is Bruce and he is a complete moron and wouldn't think like that but I can. At this point they need to see that the sooner they blow it up the better they are going to be. Let's get to the firings and get a head start on the next search. It's gonna happen sooner or later might as well start changing the culture and holding people accountable now and shedding the country club mentality. I know Dan's an idiot and this is just a pipe dream but in my opinion it's the right thing to do. 

Firing Gruden isn't really going to help anything if Bruce is still here. He's the problem.

Michael Thomas trashing Norman on Twitter:

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-norman-michael-thomas-start-beef-spills-twitter-142503186.html?src=rss

Also. I am not a expert judge of talent by any means. But I don't get why everyone is so high on Brandon Scherff. Not just because of last night, but going back to last season, I don't see a dominant lineman.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I wonder what would Cowboys' fans have said over the internet what they thought of their players when they went 1-15 in 1989...

They would have said that they weren’t very good. A lot of difference in 1989 and their first Super Bowl team. See if you can tell which is a championship roster 

B5CCA1DB-9C9F-4BED-949A-5CBC6C403632.png

DEAEB8FB-7EDF-4662-B804-2DD63F26C7DA.png

I beginning to wonder about something. Is the NFL scripted ? Because the way the Brees family come onto the sideline right before Drew Brees threw that record breaking bomb pass was too choreographed . Not to mention how wide open the receiver was and the timing of everything . And it’s not just this game I have wondered about. The PATS coming back from being down 25 pts in the Super Bowl, How the 2013 NFC Championship game was officiated, how the Redskins vs. Bengals game in London was officiated, how the 2015 Redskins vs. Panthers game was officiated, How the Seahawks had like 6 turnovers in the 2014 NFC Championship and still cameback and won, the Stefan Diggs walk off TD in the playoffs against the Saints last year, and most importantly, how no matter the coaching, or how talented the players and/or roster is, the Redskins always find a new creative, innovative, unrealistic , and most times, frustrating way to lose. I don’t believe anyone, team, organization, is that pathetic unless it’s planned or intentional. Most of these things that have taken place in the NFL has been very Sports Entertainment (WWE) like orchestration. I’m sorry if this offends anyone, but I’m finding myself questioning the authenticity of these games. 

13 hours ago, Bang said:
4. The NFL clearly wanted Brees to break the record. They assisted when they had to... which wasn't often, but in that vein, i am really getting tired of the NFL deciding that getting behind a man and strangling him is not holding. Ryan Kerrigan looks like he's getting his wallet stolen every play,, he goes running right past the ref with his arm up and a guy giving him the chokehold from behind,, and the ref couldn't care less.
This isn't really a gripe about last night in particular,, jut the overall decision that holding no longer exists.

7. Careful where you step... ESPN jizzed on the floor all over Drew Brees. Thanks to the Redskins making sure there was no game to actually broadcast... they spent the entire night stroking it. We are literally the creampuff the schedulers set up to be destroyed on his big night. (they even said in the broadcast.. "you could do the math and see when he would likely break the record" and if you think the NFL schedulers don't KNOW the Redskins are the worst MNF team on planet earth, you should realize they do, and they bet on them playing the way they did. We did nothing to spoil the party they planned... which was part of the plan.
There's probably more, but i gotta get to work.

~Bang

I can't agree with you more on the 2 sentiments above. As a basic NFL/Skins fan and average fantasy owner I knew that going into the game against the Saints it would be even more difficult to escape with a W than the average contest based on (and I'm sick of hearing it) Brees becoming the all time passing yardage king. So how in the *#@& did the entire Redskins organization not know what was at stake? Once it became clear, that not only were the Saints going to punch you in the mouth, but the Refs were biased as well, how in the hell did we not show any F'n pride at all and bust their nose back? I was watching as a couch potato fan and I knew what needed to be done. Stand up and do something. OMFG I was so pissed last night. Why in the F did Gruden not set a precedence, get his ass thrown out and fire up his team. Also a player or two should have literally punched someone in the face, out of strategy, not emotion just to say F you Saints and League. I am completely ashamed and embarrassed all over again to be a Skins fan!

I still think officiating played a big part of it, but in a way that kind of speaks negatively of some of the Skins players.  Remember a few year ago against the Panthers.  We played them tight for a while, then a questionable penalty negated a turnover and gave them a first down and we just collapsed after that?  That's what happened to us last night

2 hours ago, FuriousD said:

I think I'm over the Redskins.  I went almost the whole day without thinking about it and was watching french cooking videos when the wide said "do you want me turn to turn on the game?"  Kinda wish she hadn't....  Turned it off before the half and back to Youtube to pick a recipe for this weekend.  That's where I'm at these days.  I'm looking for things that are going to make me happy

I'm assuming this is a typo as the d is next to the f on the keyboard but you calling your wife "the wide" is the funniest ****ing thing I've seen all day :ols:

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

guys, we are an 8-8 team, saints are elite. We weren’t going to be them, but maybe this embarrassment will light a fire under our guys and we finish 9-7 instead of 7-9. That’s what we should hope for.

Yes, let's hope and pray Bruce and Jay do just enough so we get another year of this.

1 hour ago, Hogs 1991 said:

I beginning to wonder about something. Is the NFL scripted ? Because the way the Brees family come onto the sideline right before Drew Brees threw that record breaking bomb pass was too choreographed . Not to mention how wide open the receiver was and the timing of everything . And it’s not just this game I have wondered about. The PATS coming back from being down 25 pts in the Super Bowl,

Most of these things that have taken place in the NFL has been very Sports Entertainment (WWE) like orchestration.  

No doubt in my mind there is some truth to this.

The soundbyte of Brees telling his sons they can live their dream if they work hard is gold for the NFL.  And it happened on mnf in front of millions of viewers.  People tuned in to watch Brees.  lebron and many other celebrities and even Ellen were tweeting about it.  So the NFL definitely had motivation to ignore Saints holding calls, the Michael Thomas face mask, Etc.  I don't think it was anti Redskins, but the NFL wanting what is best for their brand.

Same for the pats comeback you referenced.  I feel like any time a team gets a big lead in the NFL the losing team automatically starts getting all the calls. It seems the refs are just trying to get the other team back in the game to generate excitement.  Now is that something that is ordered from the top, or are these individual referees just smart enough to know that if those big games are close and exciting, the league makes more money, and in turn they will make more money.

Then there are individual tendencies that we will never know about.  I remember reading in the Tim Donaghy book that the NBA referee Crawford had a grandson Who Loved Iverson and anytime Crawford reffed a Sixers game, he knew to bet on the Sixers because Iverson got all the calls.  I'm sure there are individual referees in the NFL with similar biases.

While all these dynamics are certainly in play, I don't feel like it's an anti Redskins thing.  The Redskins have earned their poor record through all their blunders over the years.  Maybe the NFL doesn't want to see the Redskins succeed because it may just bring the name controversy more to light?  Maybe the NFL is punishing Snyder for some of his past stunts?  I guess it's possible.  But while I think any big organization is going to be somewhat corrupt for the sake of improving the bottom line, I don't feel like that has much to do with why the Redskins are a losing franchise.  But who knows.

Guys.... we just ****ing suck 

**** loser teams have things happen to them like that. The Falcons have repressed that gene in their DNA but it resurfaced in the Super Bowl 

WWE scripts jobbers to lose to good wrestlers. We are the jobbers. Problem is that you don’t have to script **** because we just suck

and if this **** was scripted, I’d doubt they let the most popular team in American sports (Dallas) be just as big a tire fire as we have been for 20 years 

Good lord, people are still crying conspiracy? For the love of all that is holy...

Brees came into the game only needing ~200 yards to pass the record. He was obviously going to get it against us barring something catastrophic or some kind of ridiculous 85 Bears D type showing by us.

When Brees's family came down to the sideline, he was about ~50 yards shy and the Saints were at around their own 40. Realitically they were probably getting ready for the celebration on the NEXT possession but of course our sieve of a D accomodated right away.

Can we please stop crying conspiracy? THE NFL DOES NOT RIG GAMES. If you think this you...well I don't want to get banned, lets just say you should just stop watching football and find another hobby. Its ridiculous and you make the entire fan base look dumber.

Archived