Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conservative Gruden

joeken24

So I'm watching the first half and was impressed. But in the back of my mind, I'm thinkin' this is not over. And of course, it happened! Gruden goes into a shell with the style of play on both sides of the ball. I would say the play calling, but there was poor execution on offense and poor tackling on defense in the second half. Hell, they got a few breaks in the first half.

Anyway....

A thought came to me and I wanted to run it by you all. Do you think that Gruden is conservative? Or do you think this coaching staff has a bit of a hangover from late game  Kirk?

I was a little frustrated about the conservative 2nd half too.  But they just beat the freaking GB Packers and Aaron Rodgers by 2 TDs.  I think we have to give the dude props.  Serious props. And enjoy the bye week leading into a rematch with NO.

Good article here about Jay I just read in WP.  I've said many times among other reasons why i like Jay and that is he has the perfect personality to run this team considering what he has to deal with it and I am sticking with it for now. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/jay-gruden-never-gets-too-high-or-too-low-on-weeks-like-these-it-suits-the-redskins/2018/09/23/2fcaef90-bf6d-11e8-90c9-23f963eea204_story.html?utm_term=.43a7d6f98eff

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i don't like his chin

it doesn't say "leader of men"

maybe if we got him a shirt he could wear during games that says LEADER OF MEN it wouldn't be such a factor

Fa real.  Anyone see the graphic of Gruden and the Skins when we get a lead?  It's surprisingly impressive.

We had a good lead and went conservative/SAFE  to keep it.  You people would be KILLING Gruden if we came out slinging and wound up with a turnover, lost field position and lost the game.  I can see it now: "jay should have run more, we had a 2 score lead!!!"

We did have a 2 score lead and we won by 2 scores.  Whatever he did worked.  Not to mention Alex.  That dude knows how to play with a lead.  Nothing but good decisions from him in the second half.  That's how you win football games.

I dont think Jay is overly conservative.  He called what worked today, it was a good plan and it worked, its classic football.  This was rodgers and the packers, the comeback king.  But there will be games where he has to go harder and I think he will only when he has to.  It has to make sense, the matchups have to be favorable.  We dont have the luxury of being able to stomp on teams whenever we want.  So Jay's way makes sense to me.  Try to come out strong, keep the lead when you have it and Alex Smith your way to victory.  2 out of 3 weeks its worked.  Doesn't give much hope to playoff wins;  we need a more aggressive approach in that world.  But maybe we will learn and grow this time.

AP by the way.  He might be a big part of this season.  Was trent Williams really the only person who knew he could still play lol

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think Gruden just really trusts the defense to make a stop if needed. They are tied with Jacksonville for the top defense in the league right now apparently? Don’t know if that’s true at all but i could see that being a reason why he got conservative with the 28-10 lead after halftime. 

Just checked.the league stats. After today, with one game left tomorrow, we are currently ranked:

1st in Yards Allowed. 

2nd in points allowed. 

Pretty goddamn stellar.

Of course, the real test will be the Saints in two weeks. 

First possession of second half ended on a screen pass on 3-5 to Chris Thompson. Solid play call, bad execution.

Next possession, we were going for the kill shot and got sacked instead. It was the end of the fourth

Next possession, ends with a missed long pass.

Once we got to quarter 4 with a 28-17 lead against an offense that was stuck in first gear, anything but a conservative 4th quarter would have been bad.

The only questionable call by Gruden in the second half was a sweep that lost 2 yards.

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think Gruden just really trusts the defense to make a stop if needed. They are tied with Jacksonville for the top defense in the league right now apparently? Don’t know if that’s true at all but i could see that being a reason why he got conservative with the 28-10 lead after halftime. 

Another way to word this is he expected his defense to bail him out against  a man named Aaron Rodgers.  They did, aided by several HUGE drops and penalties by Green Bay.  Cobb holds on to that 4th down catch and the other dude catches that long one down the right sidelines and it could have been a totally different game.

I know they won, again thanks to the Pack, but Gruden's play calling is so frustrating. For the most part of his time here he abandoned the run, whlle forcing the fade pattern, and yesterday he became way too reliant on it.  3 point 2nd halfs get you beat. 

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Gruden gets way too much hate.  When you’re up 28-10 at halftime, I don’t see why you would complain about being outscored 7-3 in the second half ?‍♂️

We had one 1st down prior to the Moreau's strip, and that should have been a sack. We had about 20 total 2nd half yards at that point too. The Packers had 2 crucial, crucial drops, that probably would have lead to scores.

I'm not blaming Gruden, but we seemed to get complacent in the 2nd half and it should have cost us more than it did.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We had one 1st down prior to the Moreau's strip, and that should have been a sack. We had about 20 total 2nd half yards at that point too. The Packers had 2 crucial, crucial drops, that probably would have lead to scores.

I'm not blaming Gruden, but we seemed to get complacent in the 2nd half and it should have cost us more than it did.

They did have some bad drops but that’s how the game goes.  Only gave up 7 in the 2nd half.  Not gonna complain about being conservative when it works ?‍♂️

Why when “other” teams drop a ball it always would have “led” to points, if the Redskins drop the ball, “it’s the way it is.”  Drop balls happen all over the NFL all the time, especially in the conditions they were playing in.  Stop looking for reasons to put the win down, just enjoy it, seriously, you might like it.  

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Why when “other” teams drop a ball it always would have “led” to points, if the Redskins drop the ball, “it’s the way it is.”  Drop balls happen all over the NFL all the time, especially in the conditions they were playing in.  Stop looking for reasons to put the win down, just enjoy it, seriously, you might like it.  

Agreed. I also think the Packers 2nd half drops were negated by the Redskins' second half penalties. Both stalled drives. Both were self inflicted wounds (except for the one right after the Matthews call in which I think the refs threw a make-up call in to negate their bad flag.)

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good article here about Jay I just read in WP.  I've said many times among other reasons why i like Jay and that is he has the perfect personality to run this team considering what he has to deal with it and I am sticking with it for now. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/jay-gruden-never-gets-too-high-or-too-low-on-weeks-like-these-it-suits-the-redskins/2018/09/23/2fcaef90-bf6d-11e8-90c9-23f963eea204_story.html?utm_term=.43a7d6f98eff

So...that article without reading it is saying that jay stays medium?

35 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yep. Although I hope they don't try it against the Saints. Deja vu would make me break something.

I think a lot of us were having flashbacks to the Saints game. You can't just stop your offense against Hall of Fame QBs. It may have worked out yesterday but that does not mean the strategy was not flawed.  

Archived