Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Game Apathy Thread: Skins lose 2nd half of game 7-3

Burgundy Yoda

It was a good win.  And I won’t complai about a win.  However keep this in mind:

In the second halves of these three games the Skins have scored a grand total of 12 points on 4 FGs.  The “best” was 6 points when they lost to the colts.rhey haven’t scored a second half TD yet.  And this isn’t a new trend for Gruden coaches teams.  This trend of being out-coaches and out-played in the second halves has happened since he got here.  So there’s not a lot of hope he’ll snap out of it.  

Thats pathetic, and let’s face it, Green Bay’s receivers let us off the hook all day by dropping perfect passes on third down.  Our defense was good, but looked a lot better because of GB misqueues. Or offense in the second half was awful, and the 3-out first possession was as predictable as the sunrise. Runup the middle with AP for nothing, trap run with CT for not much, incomplete on third down.  It feels like every second half of every game Gruden coaches starts that way.

Into the early part of the fourth quarter the only 1st down we got was on a ridiculous penalty. That’s nit being conservative to kill the clock.  They weren’t killing clock.  It’s ineptitude.  The only points were essentially after the game was over.

If GB plays an average second half, they at least tie if not take the lead. Who can predict who wins, but they could easily have made up the difference if they weren’t dropping perfect passes. 

So I guess that’s why I am not really excited about the win.  GB really lost this game in he second half more than the skins won it.

The skins played really well in the first half.  I don’t understand why they can’t put a second half together to save their lives.

28 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

11 point lead, and they didn't want to spark yet another losing 2nd half opponent by turning the ball over. It is annoying, depressing, and a true eye roll experience. 

It is NOT stupid gameplanning when it works, though. 

It is a gamble. If it doesn't work, they better be prepared to get pummeled by criticism. When it does work, celebrate the win, I will. 

Yeah, but of all qbs to trust not to turn the ball over...

I’ll add that going conservative while playing with a lead is fine if your D is doing it’s job.  Did not get that feel from our D, regardless that they only allowed 7.  

As many mentioned in the game thread, a single PA pass on 1st down would have been a smart (tendency-breaking) play.  

The only thing that really bothered me about the game was another half of football where the team was suddenly stuck in neutral.  This team was a TD away from the Packers going into desperation mode, which would have changed how the pass rush probably could have gone into aggressive mode.  From the start of the first half, all the offense had to do was tack on one more score and you basically seal the game, regardless of what Rodgers does the rest of the way out.

The pass rush did come up a little lame. Despite the 4 sacks, it did seem like there were way too many times they would get that initial push to move the pocket, but could not finish the play and Rodgers ended up having all day to throw.

1 hour ago, SamoaSkinz said:

Satirical or not, this is why a lot of our fans are always negative, even if we win they are always pissed off as if we were super bowl bound. Enjoy a great upset win against a team almost everyone including our own 'fans' expected we lose. 

Next week are against the Saints so wins might be a little hard to come by. 

Seriously, this was a great defensive showing against Aaron Rodgers who is the magic man. Sure, the Packers had some drops, but we also had some dumb penalties that kept sabotaging second half drives. So, the dumb plays evened out.

The only important thing is that overall we defensively outdueled Aaron Rodgers and held on to win. Offensively, we were unstoppable in the first half. Penalties and hyper-conservatism hurt the second half, but you also do have to consider the opponent. The Packers are a perenial playoff team and always in the Super Bowl conversation. They don't go down lightly. Look at the Bears' game two weeks ago.

The Redskins are not a playoff team right now. They are a team trying to figure themselves out. This game could be a building block for them to become a good team or it could be a blip in a Jekyll and Hyde season. Regardless, anyone who wants to complain that the D wasn't perfect against Aaron Rodgers and took advantage of a couple of breaks hasn't watched a team that has failed to take advantage of breaks for a very, very long time.

Kind of annoying that the Clay Matthews penalty is dominating the coverage of the game. Regardless of anyone's opinion of the call, this wasn't like last week when the penalty kept a game tying drive going.  The penalty in this game had little to no outcome on the game itself.  Right after the penalty the Redskins did some self-sabotaging and blew the drive anyway. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Kind of annoying that the Clay Matthews penalty is dominating the coverage of the game. Regardless of anyone's opinion of the call, this wasn't like last week when the penalty kept a game tying drive going.  The penalty in this game had little to no outcome on the game itself.  Right after the penalty the Redskins did some self-sabotaging and blew the drive anyway. 

Yeah, although I personally think there was no holding on the play after the Matthews' PF. I think it was a ref make up call. The Redskins failed to overcome that make up call and then all of a sudden for Washington it was a yellow flaggy kind of day.

For what it's worth, I don't think Matthews hit should have been a penalty. Clean, text book hit.

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I haven’t seen it being portrayed as game swinging.  But they have to show it for how ridiculous it was, particularly since it was Matthews again.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

All I'm gonna say in here is that even though he is a Seminole (one who I do not have fond pre NFL memories of), I really like Thompson, and would really appreciate if Jay would stop killing him.

Thanks

Has he addressed this yet?  I get using him in pass pro, he's the best on the team, but he's our best offensively player and I almost forgot he was playing today.  Like Jay got hypnotized "When I snap my fingers, Chris Thompson is a Samjae Perine."

"Coach, its me, Chris."

"Fumble again and see what happens to you."

The clock management exhibited by teams baffles me. When Smith hit Crowder to move the ball to the Packer 3 with just a bit under 2 minutes left, GB needs to start taking timeouts to give them time to drive for a FG when they got the ball back....but chose not to. And then at the end of the game, when AP ripped off a 17-yard run from midfield with a little over 5 minutes left.....GB, you need to use your timeouts immediately. But no, they wait until the clock goes down to 3 minutes. 

Just inexplicable. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, but of all qbs to trust not to turn the ball over...

I’ll add that going conservative while playing with a lead is fine if your D is doing it’s job.  Did not get that feel from our D, regardless that they only allowed 7.  

As many mentioned in the game thread, a single PA pass on 1st down would have been a smart (tendency-breaking) play.  

yeah I wasnt really feeling the defense as most may have and want to point out.. Those dropped passes by GB receivers were not caused by the D, we were just fortunate. People taut that we went conservative, well if 0 passing yards in a quarter with a few 3 and outs is a good conservative plan, count me out. And up by 11 pts. is not one of those insurmountable leads especially for the Redskins.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Hey, I might know a guy who posted that.  Maybe more than once...

Haha, yeah, I’ve seen you :)

I talked about this a lot as one of my concerns/dislikes about Gruden’s after his first year.  I hate to be too hard on him for running on first down so often given how much he wants to run the ball and all the nuance that comes with that.  But man, just an occasional pass at an unexpected time.. yeah, you might catch some flak for it if you fail, but the rewards are there to be had.  

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

The clock management exhibited by teams baffles me. When Smith hit Crowder to move the ball to the Packer 3 with just a bit under 2 minutes left, GB needs to start taking timeouts to give them time to drive for a FG when they got the ball back....but chose not to. And then at the end of the game, when AP ripped off a 17-yard run from midfield with a little over 5 minutes left.....GB, you need to use your timeouts immediately. But no, they wait until the clock goes down to 3 minutes. 

Just inexplicable. 

So you're saying that Mike McCarthy quit on his team today? Because that would be the vibe had Jay done that. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

yeah I wasnt really feeling the defense as most may have and want to point out.. Those dropped passes by GB receivers were not caused by the D, we were just fortunate. People taut that we went conservative, well if 0 passing yards in a quarter with a few 3 and outs is a good conservative plan, count me out. And up by 11 pts. is not one of those insurmountable leads especially for the Redskins.

Absolutely.  This D feels like it’s gotten some pretty good luck at times when plays were there for the other team, and that last half was the best illustration of it.  

I’ll add that throwing a PA pass unexpectedly (when Gruden’s would typically run up the middle to milk the clock) can do two things - 1) make the D second guess on subsequent plays, and 2) demoralize the other team (or at least affect their momentum).  It’s not without some risk, but you gotta play to win sometimes, not to not lose. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

People nagging our team that we only scored once in the 2nd Half really need to be reminded so did the Packers?

difference is, we couldn't really move the ball because we didn't make the plays. GB had the plays but fortunately for us they dropped the ball. I know thats part of the game but it is not one that you plan for or count on. A couple of those being caught and it would have been a different story. People are trying to say we went conservative., I disagree because what we saw in the second half is what we see if we are winning and when we are losing at half time, time after time. Gruden does not seem to make adjustments to the adjustments the defenses make.How can you get 0 yards passing in a 3rd quarter and haulk that up to being conservative

25 minutes ago, kleese said:

If you go back over the past 25 years and give us wins in games we lost where we couldn’t catch any breaks then I will grant you this win where we did. 

You going to the NO game?  It was a blast last year with my kids, etc.  Not sure if I am doing it this time but its tempting -- the Monday night part of it makes it tough. 

Archived