Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Game Apathy Thread: Skins lose 2nd half of game 7-3

Burgundy Yoda

16 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

This. It's so flipping obvious. The other team makes halftime adjustments and he doesn't. As a coach, you have to be flexible enough to throw away your gameplan in the second half if it doesn't work. Some guys just can't handle that type of situation and get vapor locked. I can't imagine what its like at the pro level.

Yeah but should he makes adjustments to what the other team did in first half or what they will do in the second half?

Tough question...

44 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, I will admit that at times Gibbs would go the conservative route with a nice lead at halftime. It drove me nuts because I always wanted to see a complete blow-out but he usually won.

* FYI, in SB XXII they didn't go conservative until after Williams threw the 50 yd bomb that was picked off near the end zone early in the 3rd qtr. But after that it was a 'wait and see' thing with Gibbs; if Elway started a comeback Gibbs would have turned to page 2.

They were mostly conservative sans a play or two. What is to say Jay would not have gotten more aggressive had they started to really come back. The fair question is could the team have gotten more aggressive if they needed to. Gibbs team were just 50/50 in general. But that was because to even make it close a team had to be playing very well all of a sudden. 

The bold is the problem. Fans want blow-outs. I get it. I am a fan. I love seeing my team handing out beat downs. However you take a lot of risks. A bad TO can put a team right back in it. Coaches are generally playing the long game. 

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The irony of this statement is that almost all the complaints seem to revolve around the idea that Gruden DID make half time adjustments. He adjusted into hyper-conservative mode out of balanced aggressive play calling mode.

Now, I would have liked to see a little more offensive playing calling oomph too, but I also saw that every time the offense started to roll in the second half we seemed to get flagged. Hyper conservatism and 1st and 20 don't mix.

We've seen quite a few games where Jay goes conservative when the Redskins have or get a lead.  I think it's a result of the untimely turnovers (fumbles and interceptions) this team has had a knack of making at the worst possible times during his tenure.

Cousins scared the man, check that, scared most of us to death with his ability to make soul-crushing turnovers at the worst times.  So far, this team has not turned the ball over like past teams.  He needs to trust this team not to make the mistakes of the past.  If he doesn't, he will cost his team some games. 

Winning teams put their foot on their opponents' throats when the opportunity presents itself.  If Jay's paranoia cost this team games, it will be time to find his replacement.  It's tough enough trying to overcome the other team.  Trying to overcome a paranoid coach will make beating good teams virtually impossible.

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Barely escaped? Our defense was dominate in the second half AGAIN. Pathetic thread I am sorry.

I would say our D got a lot of breaks against the Packers with really bad dropped passes and some questionable calls. 

10 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

I'm already tired of hearing about the drops the Packers WR's had.  Our defense had a few near interceptions of Rodgers and one ball was flying straight to a defender but the player could not track the ball. 

As far as bad breaks, yes this. The Great Aaron threw at least 2 that could have been INTs for Moreau and Swearinger. The Great Aaron also got gifted with a wide open TD pass from a blown S coverage. GB also received a free INT because Jordan Reed wanted to entice the ref into throwing a flag more than he wanted to follow through in his route. GB was also clearly gifted with a lot of ref generosity on their OL holds against the pass rush. 

This is why Gruden and Manuskt really aren't top coaches. As soon as they get a lead the game is stared to play not to make any mistakes, instead of trying to go  for the jugular. It was like Gruden was more concerned about running out the clock instead of trying to score points 

7 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

We've seen quite a few games where Jay goes conservative when the Redskins have or get a lead.  I think it's a result of the untimely turnovers (fumbles and interceptions) this team has had a knack of making at the worst possible times during his tenure.

I think it's that plus the fact that Gruden was groomed as a coach under Dungy and Marvin Lewis, two defensive and pretty conservative guys who believed in winning by not making mistakes.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:03 AM, Alexa said:

I would say our D got a lot of breaks against the Packers with really bad dropped passes and some questionable calls. 

I would say the D played the odds and forced GB to go on long drives that most often fail. They did fail more times than not - only having one drive 

Not directly just at you: 

Has everyone forgotten the basic fundamentals of football strategy? All these people saying the D was just lucky. That's bull****. Did GB drop some balls? Yes. So did we. Its part of the game. If everyone made every play then you would not need to actually play the games. 

I know it's hard for some of you who would rather complain, but the D has played pretty well. The offense has played 2 good halves. They need to get better and more consistent. But it's been enough to win 2 games out of 3. How about we give them credit instead of continuously beating them down, even after a win. We do enough of that when they lose. 

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think it's that plus the fact that Gruden was groomed as a coach under Dungy and Marvin Lewis, two defensive and pretty conservative guys who believed in winning by not making mistakes.

You can go conservative if you have a great defense, but Jay was going conservative with one of the worse defenses in the league.  He may have a good defense this year which may be able to keep him from losing games they should win.

6 minutes ago, Alexa said:

This is why Gruden and Manuskt really aren't top coaches. As soon as they get a lead the game is stared to play not to make any mistakes, instead of trying to go  for the jugular. It was like Gruden was more concerned about running out the clock instead of trying to score points 

Going for the jugular is a really nice sound bite. However, it's meaningless when it comes to actually coaching the game. The very same people complaining about not being aggressive enough would be hitting the roof and screaming about what a poor coach he is if Alex threw a pick or two or we have a few fumbles and let them back in the game. The smart thing to do when you get a 21+ pts lead is shorten the game. 

Not to mention that is what you get when you commit to the run game - I believe ti was 60/40 run to pass. As for Manusky, he having a very good year. His defense is at or near the top in every meaningful category including PFF who everyone loves to reference. 

6 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

You can go conservative if you have a great defense, but Jay was going conservative with one of the worse defenses in the league.  He may have a good defense this year which may be able to keep him from losing games they should win.

Yeah, having confidence in a Haslett or Barry defense might be a definition of insanity.

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

After 3 weeks, pending MNF, they're likely to be 10th in total offense, 2nd in total defense.  (Total yards)

Just building off your comment: 

Redskins D - 

Total Yds - 1st

Passing Yds - 5th

Rushing Yds - 8th

Pt's /gm - 2nd

How many would have killed for a D playing like this last year? How many believe the team makes the POs and does some damage with a D like this last year? Yes, it could all come apart. Injuries could hit again, They could just be getting lucky as several here would suggest. But for right now, this is the D we were looking for. Now it's here and people are still ****ing about it. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But for right now, this is the D we were looking for. Now it's here and people are still ****ing about it. 

It's hard to argue against this; you're right. The only thing I can say about it (again, and I'm not one to ever really complain after a W) is this. 

In the heat of the moment (live action), there are times where I am just ready to vomit my beer up on some of the allowed plays of the defense. Maybe for others, that feeling just sticks with them.. regardless of W or L. 

#shrugs

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, having confidence in a Haslett or Barry defense might be a definition of insanity.

How can any coach go conservative on offense with a porous defense???!!!!!!!!!!  By definition, pardon the pun, the coach must open up the offense or the team will lose most games.  You can never ever trust a bad defense. 

Like many, I'm not a fan of this thread. This is a big W, why can't people just enjoy it? I know that there is a lingering sour taste from the Colts game, but you have to allow yourself to be happy about this win, one that most of us didn't believe was possible. 

Blame the drops, blame it on Rodgers bad knee, be aggravated by the playcalling, but look up at the damn scoreboard; we just beat the Pack by 14. I agree that this could have gone in a different direction and that I would like to see Gruden do some things different, but now is not the time to **** about it.

14 hours ago, skins island connection said:

The weather had something to do with it, but a win is a win regardless.

I do think the Matthews sack of Smith flag was BS, he didn't try to kill Smith but it was a brutal sack, and legal IMO. Had this been Kerrigan or Allen doing this to Rodgers I'd say the same thing. This is going to really affect d-lines negatively.

Who's Kerrigan? ?

You lose credibility questioning Gruden's playcalling when we were obviously prepared, and executed a winning game plan especially out the gate.

The items that will hold this team back are:

1) lack of WR production. Richardson make a little noise and Crowder caught his first TD. Still too little production. (Doc Who?)

2) Lack of OLB pass rush. Can we get some missing posters for Kerrigan & Smith?

3) Health of the OL. We need to draft OL early and often for the next 3 years.

4) CB #24 Norman needs to get his act together. Love him but his production is very pedestrian right now.

CTskins, my posts have nothing to do with yesterday's game specifically.  I'm talking generally about Jay's consistently conservative playcalling late in close games or games the Redskins are leading.  Regardless, I apologize for contributing to the negative vibe. 

Yesterday was a great and unexpected win!!!  I tip my hat to the defense.  To hold an NFL offense to 17 points or less is usually some combination of good defense and bad offense.  Very seldom does a defense overwhelmingly dominate a team for four quarters.  Aaron Rodgers was held to 17 points...by a Redskins defense!!!  How many people saw that coming? 

9 minutes ago, jbird said:

You lose credibility questioning Gruden's playcalling when we were obviously prepared, and executed a winning game plan especially out the gate.

The items that will hold this team back are:

1) lack of WR production. Richardson make a little noise and Crowder caught his first TD. Still too little production. (Doc Who?)

2) Lack of OLB pass rush. Can we get some missing posters for Kerrigan & Smith?

3) Health of the OL. We need to draft OL early and often for the next 3 years.

4) CB #24 Norman needs to get his act together. Love him but his production is very pedestrian right now.

Agree with all this except Norman He seems to be a favorite to pick on by most fans But every time I re watch a game and see plays I thought he played poorly, many times he did he job and was let down by a team member. Certainly not saying he is perfect, but he has been playing at a high level but not seem to be getting credit for it. Yesterday's TD was entirely on DJ. 

21 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Who's Kerrigan? ?

He cause several holding calls, some of which were critical. He was working his ass off so others can make plays. If you have a few rookies in front of you and a known pro-bowler, who are you going to challenge? Result? Payne, Allen, Iao all got sacks. When interior lineman are getting sacks it's because teams are guarding against the outside guys coming. Le'ts see how the season progresses. I believe Kerrigan will get his once teams realize they cannot let our interior guys go 1 on 1. 

38 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

It's hard to argue against this; you're right. The only thing I can say about it (again, and I'm not one to ever really complain after a W) is this. 

In the heat of the moment (live action), there are times where I am just ready to vomit my beer up on some of the allowed plays of the defense. Maybe for others, that feeling just sticks with them.. regardless of W or L. 

#shrugs

If we watched the other 15 games with the same intensity we would see this with every team in the NFL. For the Redskins we have a much greater interest. 

Archived