Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Game Apathy Thread: Skins lose 2nd half of game 7-3

Burgundy Yoda

Let's look at the 2nd half drives.

1st drive at their own 17 (after a GB TD)

Run, Run, 3rd and 5. Noone open at all, check down to CT for no gain.

2nd drive at own 43

1st play sack but 15 yard penalty. 

1st and 20 after holding, pass incomplete 

2nd and 20, 5 yard pass to CT.

3rd and 15. False start.

3rd and 20. (4th quarter) pass play. Noone open. Scramble for 4 yards.

3rd drive at own 35

1st down. 4 yards AP

2nd down 3 yards BUT holding. -10

2nd and 16. 6 yard play to JC

3rd and 10. Deep shot to PR. Inc.

4th drive at own 12

1st down -2 yards by AP.

2nd down pass for 6 yards.

3rd down inc pass to Reed.

Next drive FG.

So 4 drives. 2 started inside their 20 and were conservative based on field position. Other 2 derailed by penalties for holding. Not really sure the second half was Grudens fault as much as it was not trying to be dumb and give GB life.

39 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Like many, I'm not a fan of this thread. This is a big W, why can't people just enjoy it?

I am a fan of it. Just because we won doesnt mean we cant or shouldnt talk about things to work on or identify continuing bad patterns. I enjoyed the game very much, enjoying my victory Monday but come on, we cant talk anything critical after a W? Seriously?

I cant say on the first bomb to Richardson I think we got lucky bc Alex under threw it and the safety coming over (sub'ing in for starter) over ran the play. I think a starting safety there would have made a play, seemed like an easy pick. Same play, Richardson did a great job of tracking the ball, keeping his feet going and making a great adjustment in traffic for the catch.

Mason Foster had 10 tackles but seemed to over run some run gaps a few times. He brings energy, 110% effort every play, Im glad to have him but might be the weakest player on our D starting 11. If hes our weakest link, thats not too shabby imo.

Theres ying and yang.   

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I am a fan of it. Just because we won doesnt mean we cant or shouldnt talk about things to work on or identify continuing bad patterns. I enjoyed the game very much, enjoying my victory Monday but come on, we cant talk anything critical after a W? Seriously?

I cant say on the first bomb to Richardson I think we got lucky bc Alex under threw it and the safety coming over (sub'ing in for starter) over ran the play. I think a starting safety there would have made a play, seemed like an easy pick. Same play, Richardson did a great job of tracking the ball, keeping his feet going and making a great adjustment in traffic for the catch.

Mason Foster had 10 tackles but seemed to over run some run gaps a few times. He brings energy, 110% effort every play, Im glad to have him but might be the weakest player on our D starting 11. If hes our weakest link, thats not too shabby imo.

Theres ying and yang.   

I agree with your first point. I think the disconnection between sides here is that sometimes it's a short post that just sounds like pure griping versus what the intent might be.. which is just nit-picking on where they can get better. 

I don't like calling that Richardson catch lucky. I'll watch it again later, but as the positioning of all 3 on the play was concerned, the ball location was actually pretty darn good and easy for only Richardson to make a real play on it. I know Alex mentioned something about getting lucky with the pass, but only in that the coverage wasn't where great coverage should have been. It wasn't.

Agree with all that of Foster. 

7 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

We played well in the first half to build the lead, but the second half was more of GB shooting themselves in the foot than us doing anything to hold the lead. The dropped 4th & 2, the converted 3rd & 14 that was called back because of holding & of course the dropped long ball down the sideline on the subsequent play following the holding, were all huge plays in us winning. GB also had some other big penalties that helped us out. Moreau's strip of Cobb was obviously a huge play and it was nice to see someone make a play when we needed one badly.

As much as people hate bend-but-don't-break defenses...this is pretty much what they are predicated on. The idea is that you won't be able to consistently march 12-15 plays without a sack, turnover, critical penalty, or drop. 

1 hour ago, ThePackisback said:

I actually think you guys could have blown us out but you got conservative. On the other hand if Cobb catches that 4th and 2 pass then maybe we make it 28-24, who knows.

If I'm being honest, on both drives that ended with drops in the second half, I was just praying we'd hold you guys to 3. I felt confident that if we never let you guys within a TD we could do enough ONE MORE TIME to get a FG and go back up by two scores. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

As much as people hate bend-but-don't-break defenses...this is pretty much what they are predicated on. The idea is that you won't be able to consistently march 12-15 plays without a sack, turnover, critical penalty, or drop. 

FWIW, this philosophy can also conversely limit the offense's opportunities.. so they will have to make em really count. 

Just now, Sandy Monk said:

FWIW, this philosophy can also conversely limit the offense's opportunities.. so they will have to make em really count. 

That's a good point...but that's also why moving to it when you have an 18-point lead is better than when it's 0-0. Green Bay's best drive of the game went 15 plays and half the third quarter. If it was going to keep taking them that long, we realistically only needed them to screw up once or twice. 

They get out to a good start and they don't need to push the pedal to the metal. On one hand they should avoid complacency (see New Orleans game) but on the other hand they did their job to prevent the Pack from getting back in it, which is good. Lucky that Cobb dropped that pass and lucky that the Redskins D was able to force a fumble with that punch.

2 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

I actually think you guys could have blown us out but you got conservative. On the other hand if Cobb catches that 4th and 2 pass then maybe we make it 28-24, who knows.

I think another aspect of those incompletions that killed those two back to back drives is the killing of momentum. You all had just finished a long 15 play TD drive where Rodgers was more or less shredding our D. 

55 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They also forced a 4th down stop and turnover in the 4th quarter. This defense has played very well overall so far this season.

2nd in total yards given up and 2nd in the NFL in points given up, the numbers don't lie.

We do get gashed in the middle on runs but we're getting off the field on 3rd down and that's all that matters.

9 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

3rd in total yards given up and 2nd in the NFL in points given up, the numbers don't lie.

We do get gashed in the middle on runs but we're getting off the field on 3rd down and that's all that matters.

Realistically we're second in total yards because Pittsburgh hasn't played yet.

I highly doubt they'll hold the bucs to under 60 total yards.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

2nd in total yards given up and 2nd in the NFL in points given up, the numbers don't lie.

I feel like some of the run game issues are our MLBs. Foster has plenty of tackles but I've seen more than a couple times where he seemed to misread his keys, take a bad angle, or was just out of position for whatever reason. Zach Brown has tackles but he doesn't seem to be the big impact guy he was before, but maybe that's just my perception?

On 9/23/2018 at 8:33 PM, Renegade7 said:

I think he's more conservative then not know what to do.  I don't believe its right to assume all of those drives the Packers dropped passes were drives they otherwise would've scored on.  The offense looked off all day, if they dropped other passes assuming they caught the first one, do we excuse that, too?  We also had rain and didn't dropped nearly as many as they did.  Packers scored 29 last week, even if they scored that, they'd still lose because we scored 31.

true, we do not know what would have happened if they had caught the ball but my pointing out the drops was more towards showing the D was not so dominant in the second half and the offense was pert near no existent which is a problem this team has had for years. One good half and one either bad or so so half has equated to a lot of losses in the 4th quarter that we could have won.

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I feel like some of the run game issues are our MLBs. Foster has plenty of tackles but I've seen more than a couple times where he seemed to misread his keys, take a bad angle, or was just out of position for whatever reason. Zach Brown has tackles but he doesn't seem to be the big impact guy he was before, but maybe that's just my perception?

The biggest culprits in run D are Kerrigan and Smith not setting contain and yes you're right Foster and Brown are slow to fill the gaps.

13 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Theres ying and yang.   

So, on the deep pass to Richardson, as soon as it happened I thought of the first deep pass to Moss in the Monday Night Miracle game in 2005.  I’ve seen the play 500 times at least. Every time I watch it I think it’s not a great throw then Moss adjusts and catches it.  Every time. 

Its an iconic play in recent Redskins history.  I think Most as made a great move on the ball.  Same with Richardson. It was a great adjustment.  

I take nothing away from the play.

25 minutes ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

true, we do not know what would have happened if they had caught the ball but my pointing out the drops was more towards showing the D was not so dominant in the second half and the offense was pert near no existent which is a problem this team has had for years. One good half and one either bad or so so half has equated to a lot of losses in the 4th quarter that we could have won.

I'd say on the flip it doesn't make sense to say the packers offense dominated us either.  I mean, so what they had a couple drops, that's not what lost them the game, we were better then them. 

We've seen them go up and down the field on us and get TDs, free play bombs, none of that.  In my head, only reason this game looked close was because Jay took his foot off the gas too early, how does anyone think that score looks if he didn't?

Tired of hearing how they had their way with us, not with 17 points and only scoring once in the 2nd half.  A bad team would've let them squeak it out or get a ahead of us, we aren't a bad football team.  Interesting thing is the Packers might be.

11 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Actually, we're not doing a very good job on 3rd downs. we're 22nd in the league, giving up a 1st down 42% of the time. I'll also add that we're not very good in the Red Zone defensively either. Teams are 5/7 in the redzone, just a shade over 71% scoring a TD, and that is 21st in the league. We're better than last year, but we do have some issues that need to get worked on.

12 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If I'm being honest, on both drives that ended with drops in the second half, I was just praying we'd hold you guys to 3. I felt confident that if we never let you guys within a TD we could do enough ONE MORE TIME to get a FG and go back up by two scores. 

You guys were the much better team. You deserved it.

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think another aspect of those incompletions that killed those two back to back drives is the killing of momentum. You all had just finished a long 15 play TD drive where Rodgers was more or less shredding our D. 

I certainly wish the weather conditions were better for us.

Archived