Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Hard Truths

zoony

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not a mod (you can tell because I bathe regularly), but I suggest we move the name debate elsewhere.

I agree with the showering dandy, the name change debate does belong elsewhere.  If you'd like to discuss it do so here:

1 hour ago, Spearfeather said:

You just didn't like the results, but like I said ....

Last thing I’m gonna say about this before it gets too political: They handpicked native Americans to poll, and never identified the exact demographics of them. 

What you and I feel doesn’t matter. If there are a significant amount of people who want it changed then it should for the purpose of moving on.

7 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Last thing I’m gonna say about this before it gets too political: They handpicked native Americans to poll, and never identified the exact demographics of them. 

What you and I feel doesn’t matter. If there are a significant amount of people who want it changed then it should for the purpose of moving on.

All false, and I won't be responding to you anymore in this thread, or joining you in the other thread.

On 9/19/2018 at 6:35 PM, Unbias said:

NFL revenue was around $8 Billion last year. Between 2014 and 2022 CBS, NBC and Fox have committed to spend $39.6B on the NFL, so let's say ~$5B of the $8B came from TV revenue.

The big wild card will be sports gambling. We will soon see the NFL directly make money off of betting. The illegal market is estimated to be over $100B annually, so if they make 2-3% of that what will teams care if stadiums are empty? 

At $250/ticket you have 70,000 seats and 8 games. That's $140M, but there's added revenue from parking, merchandise and food sales. Let's say a team can make an additional $250M a season by selling out. That's fine, but they can sit back, do nothing and just let the shared revenue contracts pay they way more annually. 

The NFL ratings have been in decline for 2 years now.  Football will still be here but it is becoming less popular.  Part of that is the anthem controversy. Part of that is people simply not going to want to play football anymore; giving all the health risks associated with playing the sport. Also, the NFL is overexposed. Negotiations for that next TV contract will start in a couple of years. Also, there is going to be a labor stoppage when the current agreement expires in 2021, I think.  THE NFL won't be able to get the same amount of TV money next time around.  Maybe gambling makes up that?   I think the sport of football is in permanent decline and eventually, they won't be making these high dollar amounts they do now.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:54 PM, hail2skins said:

Ed, I agree that its too early to predict how this season is going to go. But I think there's a sense that once again this team is probably NOT going to have that breakthrough 11-5 or better season in 2018.....at least the loss to the Colts really dampened confidence in its possibilities.  For many, I think going 8-8 this season is worse than 2-14 at this point. 

8-8 is the ceiling for this team and for all you expecting better than that, are deluding themselves.

We have 3 years of history to know what to realistically expect from a Gruden coached team.

Since Snyder has become owner these 4 teams have been the most consistently successful:

1.  Patriots-  5-3 in Superbowls

2.  Colts- 1-1 in Superbowls during the Manning era and made the playoffs the first 3 years of the Luck era.

3.  Steelers - 2-1 in Superbowls.   At one point Cowher was on shakey ground, having missed playoffs for 2 years. He rebounded and won a Superbowl before he retired.  Tomlin is 1-1 though it looks like his era is in a rough patch and he could be losing the team.

4.  Packers - Regular playoff team and 1-0 in Superbowls.

Snyder has had 2 horrible coaches: Spurrier and Zorn.  The more longer tenured coaches under Snyder have had 4-5 years.   Maybe you get a playoff birth or maybe two.    You will never get a consistent winner under Snyder.   We are now entering the phase were we will see the Gruden era come to a close and then rinse and repeat.  A new coach and another 4-5 years.  Rinse and repeat.  MAybe a playoff birth or two.   That's all it will be under Snyder.   The only way we win a Superbowl under him, is a fluke.  A Skins team gets hot, in a down year in the NFC and rides that; all the way to a Superbowl win.

If you are looking for consistently winning football, go find another team.  All you are going to get out of Snyder is an occasional playoff birth and a new coach every 4-5 years; unless he hires a real stinker.   The next coach will either be a stinker in the Spurrier/Zorn mode or more likely a big name college coach.   Big name is next up on the Snyder hiring cycle.

Rinse and repeat.  Don't expect much, EVER from a Snyder team.  You will be fooling yourself.

The thing that sucks about all of this is that no coach is going to want to come here because they’d be stuck with mediocre-ass Alex Smith for the next 2 seasons. Had we had Josh Allen or Rosen it would have been a selling point; a young talented QB to work with. But it’s likely nobody is going to want to work with Alex Smith because of how limited he is.

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

8-8 is the ceiling for this team and for all you expecting better than that, are deluding themselves.

We have 3 years of history to know what to realistically expect from a Gruden coached team.

I think your right mate with your 8-8 prediction, which is why I would have gone with McCoy this year. I believe McCoy could have got us 6 wins which is not much different from what we believe Smith will give us and we would have $18m more cap space as well.

HTTR 

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

The thing that sucks about all of this is that no coach is going to want to come here because they’d be stuck with mediocre-ass Alex Smith for the next 2 seasons. Had we had Josh Allen or Rosen it would have been a selling point; a young talented QB to work with. But it’s likely nobody is going to want to work with Alex Smith because of how limited he is.

We don't need a coach, we need to focus on the draft and adding playmakers.  We have none.  

The point Brewer makes below is typically on the money. I think Bruce-Dan are a debacle.  but as for Jay, I think we are jumping the gun killing him, lets see more of the season IMO. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-redskins-were-good-then-they-were-bad-and-recent-history-makes-it-all-feel-bigger/2018/09/21/c95110c2-bdd3-11e8-b7d2-0773aa1e33da_story.html?utm_term=.9a8b2e7bde02

On Sunday, the crowd will be a story again because Green Bay fans travel as well as anyone in sports, and if Washington doesn’t play well, they will be much louder than the Indianapolis Colts fans whose cheers stood out late in the game last week. But this is what happens when a franchise both loses and humiliates itself with drama and dysfunction over a long period of time. If the organization is finally serious about making a correction, there is no shame in admitting the truth and opening the curtains during the transformation.

Of course, the big picture doesn’t exactly concern the current team. It just wants a win to erase the negativity of that 21-9 loss to Indianapolis. The schedule is getting tougher: The next three opponents (Green Bay, New Orleans and Carolina) have playoff track records and superior overall talent. There’s a legitimate risk of a slow start that would turn the job statuses of Coach Jay Gruden and President Bruce Allen into huge stories. But Gruden has done some of his best work during tense times. And while you know the team’s awful modern history, this season is young, and this 1-1 team has one dominant performance on its résumé. Every low makes the conversation turn dire around here. But it’s laughable to panic at this point.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Bigmuss1 said:

So most of your points in your post I agree with, however, how does it relate to anything I mentioned in my post?  If Jordan Reed doesn’t fumble the score is most likely closer than it was.  I simply stated, what if the Colts are good????  I know your opinion is quite clear you don’t think they are, ok, I hear you, BUT what if they are??  What if they beat the Eagles on the road too?  That’s all I said.....some of you are already making excuses for the Eagles losing cuz Wentz is not healthy.  If the Colts lose, great, everyone can go on and on about how terrible the Redskin Organization is, BUT, what if they win?

enjoy.......

I hear ya, the Colts have a chance to beat anyone, just as every other team has that chance to beat their opponent on any given sunday.

If the Colts completely shut down the Eagles, then there can be that moment of pause where everyone says 'wow the Colts look to be on a mission'.

Whether they win or not remains to be seen. If they win, I don't see them shutting down the Eagles [ as much as I'd like to see that ] maybe in the 27-23 area, but I can also see the Eagles not making the same mistakes the Redskins made and win by 31-23.

Winning induces confidence, even if a little, its a good feeling, and many coaches use that emotion to rally their players and prepare them for the next week which would be a much harder challenge, and the players usually respond. What we all saw last sunday was a flat, slow-footed, bumbling at times team that appeared all they had to do was walk on the field and the opponent would wet themselves. This is an area where Gruden is not good at; he's not a mental genius. He gets caught off guard and has a difficult time adjusting, even HE admitted to not adjusting until late in the 3rd qtr which is way too late because the team is being embarrassed on-field.

This team is going to struggle and nobody cares.  It's all about the $$$ for the owner and the FO.  How much can we get from the fans by buying jerseys, food, beer, or anything Skins related.  Not paying for your own and letting the guys them walk and paying for others that put up numbers for other organizations.  This has been the case since 1999.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.

33 minutes ago, zoony said:

Just kidding guys!

I think I was wrong, too, at least on whether this was a playoff roster.  Most of the players on defense are above average and we got 4 sacks from our dline running a 3-4.  

My mom yelling at Fox to talk about the Skins more.  

Archived