Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Hard Truths

zoony

47 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I was talking to my oldest last night about school. I told her that I am more interested in process than results. She passed a test that she did not study for. She felt she deserved praise for the outcome. I felt she deserved to be punished in some way.

I feel the same way about the Cousins fiasco. Whether Cousins is a "Franchise QB" or not is not really the point. He was a good QB that we stumbled into. In the end, we lost him and replaced him with a QB who is at best the same - except he is older and we had to give up a talented player and a draft pick to get him.

We went from Cousins to older version of Cousins minus two assets.

That's how you go from mediocre to Bills.

Weird, I just had this conversation with my kids last week! 

And yes, I don't care if Smith wins 2 Super Bowls while Cousins is on the IR each season until he retires (well, I mean I care, but it won't change the following opinion)...we have no reason to not have Cousins still starting for the team OR have a ****load of additional assets for him. 

We finally did what fans hoped we'd do for years...luck into a top-10ish QB in the middle rounds. And somehow we didn't turn that into either a 10-year run of contending or a boatload of assets when he left. Inexcusable.  

40 minutes ago, zoony said:

Can you imagine ANYONE connected to this **** ass organization doing something like this?

Boy Danny would fire them

Maybe not EXACTLY like that, but Snyder likes to give out sweets to employees sometimes! 

4163-3-large.jpg

43 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Snyder needs to change the name. Sorry but that’s the only way he will get respect.

Wrong.

He needs to start treating people like professionals and learning how to let people do their work. He needs to put his own insecurities aside and find a trusted GM to run the show and get out of the damn way. 

That's when he will get respect.

7 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Wrong.

He needs to start treating people like professionals and learning how to let people do their work. He needs to put his own insecurities aside and find a trusted GM to run the show and get out of the damn way. 

Snyder is a dumbass.  He is the exact opposite of a confident leader.  He is worried about outcomes, short term results, and appearances.

`hey bruce this is your last year, you better get it right`

[Bruce trades for alex smith and clings to the thought of 9-7, one more year]

Versus

'Redskins FO Team... our goal is excellence, every day.   Excellence in what we do, how we treat others, and our process.  We are striving to get better everyday.  We will never be excellent, but that is what we will strive for.  Lets benchmark excellent organizations across the nfl, other sports, and other industries.  Lets adopt those practices.  I empower all of you to be excellent.  Lets trust the process, results will take care of themselves.

Let me be clear.  I am not concerned with the results.  I am concerned with our organization striving for excellence in what we do.  Results will follow, and even if they dont for unforseen reasons, my faith amd confidence in all of you will be upheld.  I only ask for your passion, collaboration, loyalty, and tem work.  Anyone not on board, now is your chance to leave.  I will reassign you or get you a great job somewhere else."

[Redskins GM enters rebuild mode, installs 3 year plan]

This is something snyder will never get.  He is a little boy

Conversation 1.

`mr. Snyder, we thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the menu at FedEx.  We would like to hire David Chang, celebrity chef and DC sports superfan, as a consultant.  We would also like to upgrade the quality of our ingredients and facilities.  We estimat the cost to be $3 million.  We are sure that this will improve fan loyalty and the gameday experience.

You idiot, we cant absorb a $3 million margin hit.  We already dont make enough on concessions.  Lets quit using beef for our hot dogs.  Pork is fine.  Margins will be up $100k.  Now stop bothering me

Versus

Conversation 2

We want to make our gameday experience excellent.  While it will require a $3 million investment, fans will appreciate it and we will still make a lot of money.

Great idea.  Lets be excellent.  We will more than make back our investment in the long run.  

By the way, this happened

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Snyder's fundamental problem is that he is a new money billionaire whose biggest dream is to be seen as an old money billionaire.

A new money billionaire would have stuck with the alcoholic nobody GM who had a savant like ability to pick players while his reporter side piece was servicing him.

An old money billionaire sticks with the alcoholic scion of Virginia royalty who drinks Coors in some weird fetishization of the everyman and gets personally offended when the unpedigreed quarterback depends to be paid his actual worth and not his perceived worth.

Don't bring old money/new money into this. There is no worthwhile story to be told here like the Great Gatsby.

Then again:

“I couldn’t forgive him or like him, but I saw that what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confused. They were careless people, Dan and Bruce —they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.” 

34 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Snyder is the best argument for why a professional sports team should never be sold to an uber-fan even if they have genuine love for the team.......even if they have the funds.

After 20 years are we still really selling this "Snyder's biggest problem is that he cares too much?"

Snyder's problem is that he is a bad business. He had one business become grossly inflated during the late 90s bubble and had the foresight to cash out right at the moment the Redskins became available because JKC's will was a mess. And he was so over-leveraged that he probably should not have been approved in the first place. But he was and thus stumbled out of the dot.com bubble right into the sports franchise bubble.

Aside from that, name anything he's done that's been successful.

He doesn't "love" the Skins any more than I "loved" my childhood piggybank.

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Wrong.

He needs to do both. The Redskins name is tainted and cursed.

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I would eat four of those in under five minutes.

Going on on a limb here... are you bad at clock management?

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

@zoony Agree with your two examples above, but don't underestimate how stupid Snyder really is. Beyond his insecurity issues and greed, I truly believe he is of below average intelligence. He's basically a triple-threat of incompetence as a human being.

Not to turn this into a debate about IQ, but he's of above-average IQ.  Hell he is even a good businessman in some ways. 

He has massive problems, well documented, which make him terrible as a football exec.

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

He needs to do both. The Redskins name is tainted and cursed. 

"Redskins" is a proud name going back a century.  It is the Dan Snyder name which is tainted and cursed.

2 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Going on on a limb here... are you bad at clock management?

Not to turn this into a debate about IQ, but he's of above-average IQ.  Hell he is even a good businessman in some ways. 

He came up with the idea to put billboards above urinals and somehow convinced people to pay a billion dollars for that company.

I guess there is a perverse genius there.

4 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Not anymore it isn't. Many people hate it. Time to change.

Not according to 90% of the population being referenced.

This seems to come up more often after a loss. Maybe a strike while the iron's hot type of thing.  Who the hell knows.

Changing the name is a terrible idea, but we probably shouldn't go too far in this thread.

Just now, Spearfeather said:

Not according to 90% of the population being referenced.

This seems to come up more often after a loss. Maybe a strike while the iron's hot type of thing.  Who the hell knows.

Changing the name is a terrible idea, but we probably shouldn't go too far in this thread.

That was a bull crap survey. Many people hate the team over the name. It’s time to move forward and focus on the fan experience rather than 8 letters.

Archived