Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Hard Truths

zoony

It’s gonna be funny this weekend when the Colts beat the Eagles and Carson Wentz!!!  

All 2.5 million posts about how terrible the Redskins are for losing to an inept Colts team will be rendered pointless.  ES will explode and then Redskins will beat the Packers and then internet will explode!  

The Colts should have beat a Bengals team that spanked the Ravens, they only lose because of a late fumble return.  This will blow your mind.......what if the Colts are very good???????  

Enjoy.....

8 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

It’s gonna be funny this weekend when the Colts beat the Eagles and Carson Wentz!!!  

All 2.5 million posts about how terrible the Redskins are for losing to an inept Colts team will be rendered pointless.  ES will explode and then Redskins will beat the Packers and then internet will explode!  

The Colts should have beat a Bengals team that spanked the Ravens, they only lose because of a late fumble return.  This will blow your mind.......what if the Colts are very good???????  

Enjoy.....

And what if arizona is the worst team in football?  Way more likely

I will save you the suspense, the colts are not the best team in football.  Especially with both starting tackles out

14 hours ago, bobandweave said:

They will never get it right and they took this once proud franchise and turned it into the Cardinals of the NFC East. Remember the 80's when they played in the division? Everytime they were in town we all knew it was an easy win. In the 20 years since Daniel bought this team that's what we are now. An automatic win for every other team out there. 

Except the Cardinals. ;)

IMO, this team and this season will be a struggle.

I think the way it turns out is this; they struggle, fall behind through week 8  { prob around the 3-5 to 4-4 }, lose the 9th game, then get on a winning streak which is just enough to possibly get them into the playoffs, only to be ceremoniously bounced out in the WC round by some other team that wants it more. 

Then, the sentiment with some is Jay has this team on the upswing, they're getting better, just need a couple guys here and there and they will be dominant next year, but the reality is Jay is that 8-8 or 9-7 guy; he may reach the playoffs sometimes but will only get to briefly look in the post-season room before the door is slammed in his face.

The chance this team had was a few years ago; we could have secured Cousins for a song, had a great OC in McVay, and had a GM guy in Scot who unfortunately went on a bender, and there were a few players who were real game changers. THIS was the team's chance, and they were all let go.

I thought about it during the off-season; I wondered what this team would have looked like had all of the above mentioned pieces were still here.

Change starts at the top, but not necessarily at the ownership level, but just under. This organization needs someone in that slot to TELL the owner how things are gonna be, not be the owner's personal ball boy.

11 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

thought about it during the off-season; I wondered what this team would have looked like had all of the above mentioned pieces were still here.

Change starts at the top, but not necessarily at the ownership level, but just under. This organization needs someone in that slot to TELL the owner how things are gonna be, not be the owner's personal ball boy.

Snyder lacks the confidence for that

4 hours ago, Nerm said:

With a two game sample size, and the fact that the Cardinals were much better against the Skins D than they were against the Rams D... I would tap the breaks a bit about that #1 Defense stat.

On the other hand, the Green Bay fans that I know don't have a lot of confidence in their team.  The Packers are not big favorites in this next game.  The Skins beating the Packers this week would not be a huge upset.

The thing is I don't think anybody is saying go out and purchase your superbowl tickets now because we have the number one defense, their saying don't slit your wrists because there are things to feel positive about.

Some of that may be a mirage due to who we've played but definitely not all of it.

52 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Enjoy.....

If the Redskins beat the Packers, the storyline will be Aaron Rodgers being hobbled by his injury.

If the Colts beat us by say 24-20 or some other close score, your post might carry more water, but they flat out shut down Gruden and the Redskins. The Cards got spanked even worse last weekend,

I'm sorry but I just don't see how the Redskins beat GB; Rodgers is a seasoned, talented QB who has been in a number of comeback wins, and the Redskins had their pants pulled down in front of the 74 fans that bothered to go to FedEx Field. They will start out the 1st qtr hot, but just like a filled balloon being let go, it will get out of control and end up making a farting noise before falling to the ground.

There was absolutely no excuse for last sunday...none. Good HCs have their team prepared week in and week out, even in a loss they might play  a hard fought close game, but the Colts humiliated them and left Gruden blabbering the same old stuff.

10 hours ago, skins4eva said:

Someone wake me up when Kirk wins a meaningful game. Until then, let me enjoy my slumber. 

I mean all this bc he almost beat a mediocre packers team with a hobbled Aaron Rodgers?  Gimme a break. 

Stop it.  Give the guy the credit he deserves. The Vikes D could not stop the "hobbled" Rodgers now could they.  Rodgers is a bull **** artist.   He is soooo hurt.... 

Cousins did his job.  He drove his team down the field in less then two minutes and added a two point conversion on top of that.   He kept pace.  Their kicker lost that game for them on what???? Yeah.  Three missed FGs.  Hate on Cousin's but the guy has gotten better every damn year. I have never seen anything like it.  And as far as the INTs are concerned, the dude let the ball go right through his hands.   The other guy slipped. So just stop.  

Bruce Allen is an egotistical moron and I know Cousins was butt hurt over how he was handled and that is the end of the story.  That is why he moved on.  He had no intention of being here.  KURT could not stand Allen and how he was handled.  

He has two very decent WO's and he is accurate, throws deep and WHAT??? even provided a two point conversion fade in the EZ.      

I have supported Doctson and I can't anymore.  Actually I see him and some of these guys on our team as heartless chokes.  It has nothing to do with ability. With the exception of maybe a couple of players like CT, many of our guys play without heart.  This is not a driven intense team.   That is ALL on coaching.

Any defense that continues to tackle around the shoulders deserves to be destroyed by an offense.  This is an undisciplined heartless, gutless mess of a team.  That is the really the bottom line here. 

I have seen enough of the Groundhog Day Skins.  It is a culture. 

1 hour ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Enjoy.....

This is what I'm thinking..the colts are a hell of a lot better than most of us thought..there head coach was with the eagles I think for at least a year so he has some familiarity with our offense..and the colts d might surprise some people this year

1 hour ago, zoony said:

And what if arizona is the worst team in football?  Way more likely

I will save you the suspense, the colts are not the best team in football.  Especially with both starting tackles out

Agreed.  I'll say this, this is why I want more time to asses how good or bad either really is.  Seeing the #1 defense stat flying around here, Colts didn't light us up, but know a lot of that came from playing Arizona.  Rodgers is a solid test, and i don't expect Wentz to be 100% yet, jus cleared to play.

I know I've seen us with a top 5 defense beginning of season only to end it with a bottom 5 defense.  Still think this years unit is underrated, even by us.

12 hours ago, kleese said:

C'mon zoony, this might be nit-picky even for you. I like Jay overall and this is one of the reasons... he has some personality and isn't afraid to be a little humorous or self-deprecating. He generally has a couple of these ha-ha comments during pressers (with the exception of post game losses). 

I don’t think it’s a shot at Gruden I think it’s a shot at how the team runs things on what planet would a professional football team make roster moves without consulting the coach...that would be earth and more specifically Washington DC

Normally I would say close thread after the original post because I have to agree with all of it.  Maybe close the board for the season with that one.  Another hard truth, injury bug continues to bite this team.  You cannot watch this movie year in and year out and just say it is bad luck.  It is either one or a combination of poor facilities, poor training staff, lack of accountability, drafting players with an injury history, what am I missing?

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's just amazing that there are so many people who just can't see that.  Good guy, good play designer, not a leader, not a good HC. 

A player should never think giving the HC a nip-pinch is a good idea.  It might be in jest, but it's not acceptable. 

Oh how far we have fallen amirite?

14 hours ago, kleese said:

It's odd. Been thinking the same thing this week. 

It's one thing to have Alex Smith as your quarterback in theory. Because in theory, he's safe, he's efficient, and he wins more than he loses.

It's another thing to have Alex Smith as your quarterback in reality - especially after a game like that.

I'm convinced that everyone spent the offseason talking themselves into Smith. "He's above average." "We salvaged something out of the Kirk mess." "We'll be fine at that position."

Now everyone realizes that we have at least three years of 6 yard passes to running backs.

Then you throw in what the Chiefs' offense has become without Smith.

I think what Alex Smith does is just drain the emotion from your team. You know he's not good enough to really do anything, especially with our weapons on offense. But he's not ever going to be bad enough to lose the job. And he's got a three year deal.

We are fully locked into football purgatory until the 2020s.

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's one thing to have Alex Smith as your quarterback in theory. Because in theory, he's safe, he's efficient, and he wins more than he loses.

It's another thing to have Alex Smith as your quarterback in reality - especially after a game like that.

I'm convinced that everyone spent the offseason talking themselves into Smith. "He's above average." "We salvaged something out of the Kirk mess." "We'll be fine at that position."

Now everyone realizes that we have at least three years of 6 yard passes to running backs.

I think what Alex Smith does is just drain the emotion from your team. You know he's not good enough to really do anything, especially with our weapons on offense. But he's not ever going to be bad enough to lose the job. And he's got a three year deal.

That's an incredibly realistic and cynical view.  And I tend to agree with it.  One point I will make is that we didn't do Smith any favors with the playcalling or the receiving core (which is close to, if not, the worst in the NFL).  I didn't see receivers getting open on Sunday, and the few times they did, there was a 50/50 chance they'd drop it.  If we cut Doctson today, he would get picked up, make it through the season and then get cut the next training camp.  He's a guy who has no interest in playing professional football.  We are at the point where we are bringing in full on cast offs from other teams to supplement our WR core.  Should have never, ever let Garcon walk (or DJax) for that matter.  We've replaced those guys with total zeros.  

Back to Smith, Gruden hasn't adjusted his scheme or playcalling (no surprise there) to account for the fact that he has a very mobile QB at his disposal.  Our line is getting eatin alive on Sunday and what does Jay Gruden do?  Nothing--doesn't move the pocket at all, no rollouts, no boot legs, no nothing to make the defense hesitate.  He's just such a mediocre borderline terrible coach.  We could have Tom Brady as our QB, and I don't think it would matter with Jay.  

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I see this season as one where we got nothing to lose.  If all these moves blow up in the decision makers faces -- Bruce at least should be gone.  Sadly, though Dan will stay but I've accepted that as a reality that can't change.  Nonetheless, maybe there is an upside to Dan being royally embarrassed one more time.   On the other hand, maybe this team will surprise us -- beat GB, and good times coming.   

I think there is only upside if we think embarrassment leads to action. Which I sincerely doubt it will unless he sells.

4 hours ago, zoony said:

Snyder lacks the confidence for that

Or the intelligence 

50 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Just a lot of absolutes in there after 2 games. "What the Chiefs offense has become?" No doubt, Mahomes has lit it up for two weeks and looked amazing. But the Chiefs also scorched the Pats on opening night last year with Alex and then beat the Eagles the next week as well on their way to a fiery start. Just a little early for this talk. 

27 minutes ago, kleese said:

Just a lot of absolutes in there after 2 games. "What the Chiefs offense has become?" No doubt, Mahomes has lit it up for two weeks and looked amazing. But the Chiefs also scorched the Pats on opening night last year with Alex and then beat the Eagles the next week as well on their way to a fiery start. Just a little early for this talk. 

Why does everyone keep acting like Alex Smith has not been a starting QB for 37 years?

He puts up pretty good numbers. A coach decides he's not good enough. And the next guy does better.

This is who Alex Smith is. And here's the fun part. His arm and mobility are only going to get worse going forward. We've seen peak Alex Smith.

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Why does everyone keep acting like Alex Smith has not been a starting QB for 37 years?

He puts up pretty good numbers. A coach decides he's not good enough. And the next guy does better.

This is who Alex Smith is. And here's the fun part. His arm and mobility are only going to get worse going forward. We've seen peak Alex Smith.

I'm only analyzing what you said-- "what the Chiefs offense has become." If Mahomes is still throwing 5 TDs per game in December and the Chiefs are appreciably better than they were under Smith (averaged 11 wins per year) I will grant you that point. And I'm not saying it won't happen... just saying it's a tad early. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

I'm only analyzing what you said-- "what the Chiefs offense has become." If Mahomes is still throwing 5 TDs per game in December and the Chiefs are appreciably better than they were under Smith (averaged 11 wins per year) I will grant you that point. And I'm not saying it won't happen... just saying it's a tad early. 

They may win more games. They may win less games. And I don't expect Mahomes to throw for 80 touchdowns this year.

But Harbaugh and Reid both made the same exact decision, "I ain't winning **** in the playoffs with Alex Smith's three yards and a cloud of dust passing attack."

Alex Smith was put on earth by Mormon Jesus to go 10-6 with a very talented team and then lose 24-10 in the playoffs.

I don't think we have anything remotely like the talent of the 49ers with Harbaugh or this current Chiefs' unit.

But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Smith is a gunslinger who has just been holding back all this time. He's been waiting for a Gruden brother to unleash the dragon.

PS

Is Smith Mormon or did I just assume that because he went to Utah?

18 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Our defense isn’t that bad right now considering we are still (somehow) ranked number 1 in the league but the issues lie with our lack of speed on the edge and lack of coverage ILBs. Otherwise this is an improved defense. Secondary play has been solid and we actually have young talent along the d-line.

Our offense is a dumpster fire. A complete unmitigated dumpster fire. Our only move is to checkdown to Thompson and pray Reed is open twice a game. Smith cannot throw downfield and we have a sh*t-tier WR core. Our line has a stud in Scherff but is otherwise very inconsistent.

The real blame lies in the awful offensive coaching staff. Gruden, Callahan, Cavanaugh, etc are wasting talent right now.

What makes its worse is the defense showed it can be good; top 5 even, going by the Cardinal game.  The offenses inability to stay on the field and score points will ultimately be the D's undoing.  

And constantly throwing to Thompson and Reed are numbering their games this year, with their past of season ending injuries.  And AD is not capable of being the work horse he was.  Giving him the ball constantly will shorten his time this season as well.  And once they go the offense will become more stagnant than it was against The Colts.

16 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

They may win more games. They may win less games. And I don't expect Mahomes to throw for 80 touchdowns this year.

But Harbaugh and Reid both made the same exact decision, "I ain't winning **** in the playoffs with Alex Smith's three yards and a cloud of dust passing attack."

Alex Smith was put on earth by Mormon Jesus to go 10-6 with a very talented team and then lose 24-10 in the playoffs.

I don't think we have anything remotely like the talent of the 49ers with Harbaugh or this current Chiefs' unit.

But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Smith is a gunslinger who has just been holding back all this time. He's been waiting for a Gruden brother to unleash the dragon.

PS

Is Smith Mormon or did I just assume that because he went to Utah?

Well, Smith does have two playoff wins... one of those coming in a shootout where he threw a TD pass on the final drive. He also has a playoff loss where his offense scored 44 points. I believe his post season career TD/INT ratio is 14/2. I think his rep as ONLY a dink and dunker isn't truly accurate. I also acknowledge that he is absolutely not on that elite Rodgers-type level where you will win games you should lose because Smith is carrying you on his back. That won't happen. No doubt the team needs to be sound around him. I essentially think he is equal to Kirk-- different, but ultimately equal in terms of your chances to win. He's older, but that isn't a massive concern for me because he should have 3 good years left (including this one) and that's fine with me. This isn't a defense our decision-making on Kirk... I would agree that if you have two relatively equal options, why not just go with the one that's been here and has a longer shelf life? But strictly in terms of how they replaced him once that ship had sailed? I think they basically found the same guy. 

50 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Well, you just described the Buck Showalter of NFL QBs. Here's the kick in the nuts for me...my Orioles are going to probably be the first team who DON'T go to the WS once they move on from Buck AND my Redskins are probably going to be the first team who DOESN'T upgrade at QB once they replace Smith. 

My teams (with similarly horrible owners) were put on this Earth to break streaks....

Speaking of, I think I saw a stat that teams coming off ties and then playing on the road (the Packers this week, for example) are winless in their last 13 games. Who wants to guess which streak my Redskins are about to help break?

Archived