Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Hard Truths

zoony

58 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Why does everyone keep acting like Alex Smith has not been a starting QB for 37 years?

He puts up pretty good numbers. A coach decides he's not good enough. And the next guy does better.

This is who Alex Smith is. And here's the fun part. His arm and mobility are only going to get worse going forward. We've seen peak Alex Smith.

He is only in his 14th season, not his 37th. Cmon.  The next couple weeks are critical in his development. If it doesn't click with him by then I'll agree with you that we know what we have with him. Until week 5 I'm sticking with the better leader, better runner, better redzone, better decision maker, better pre-snap, better post-snap, just wins games mantra. After week 5 I'm right there with you. But at 13 years and 2 weeks its just too soon for all this disaster hyperbole. Bruce Allen knows what he is doing. Harbaugh (was it Harbaugh), Reid, not so much.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This is what I’ve been saying about Smith since the beginning. He is who he is. 

Its really on Jay and Callahan to sort out the running game to maximize Alex’s strengths 

It's not like Smith had all day to wait for plays to develop either, there was consistent pressure and it came quickly. Callahan needs to stop being referred to as some type of O-line coaching god.

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

You should have been awake in week 16 in 2015 when he won...on the road...to clinch the division.  

I was awake for that one. I was also awake during the last two week 17 games, one with the playoffs on the line, when Cousins stunk up the joint and we got wiped out by mediocre Giants teams.

5 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I was awake for that one. I was also awake during the last two week 17 games, one with the playoffs on the line, when Cousins stunk up the joint and we got wiped out by mediocre Giants teams.

But our team was worse than mediocre, generally being carried by a very good QB. Some days he didn't carry us and on those days things tended to snowball and get ugly.

13 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Callahan needs to stop being referred to as some type of O-line coaching god.

I always wondered why we as a fanbase love to anoint our positional coaches the status of "one of the best in the league" before they've done a damn thing for us.

We did it with Callahan we did it with tomsula and we pretty much did it with gray.

You know how I know we got ourselves a pretty damn good coach?

Some other team snatches them up.

Mcvay for example, the rams grabbed him the minute he finished puberty.

43 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

QBs have bad games.  The narrative that he hasn't won a meaningful game is false.  If you want to say playoff game, sure.  By that standard though, every QB who hasn't won a Superbowl hasn't won a meaningful game.  

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Let me see if I understand this: We had a team with an O-Line signed off the streets (1 starter), a defense that couldn't stop an old lady in a walker, no running back, CT out, Reed out, all the descent WR's either traded away or hobbled, a QB that tried like hell to carry his team, who also had one of the best passer ratings, QBR, was #1 against the blitz... and he sucks because he threw to a receiver on a timing play that got intercepted.

Yea, right. KC was not perfect, far from it, but why is it always the QB who gets the blame? This is a team sport. 11 on O, 11 on D. Every facet must work and be proficient for the team to win.

11 minutes ago, rick7423 said:

Let me see if I understand this: We had a team with an O-Line signed off the streets (1 starter), a defense that couldn't stop an old lady in a walker, no running back, CT out, Reed out, all the descent WR's either traded away or hobbled, a QB that tried like hell to carry his team, who also had one of the best passer ratings, QBR, was #1 against the blitz... and he sucks because he threw to a receiver on a timing play that got intercepted.

Yea, right. KC was not perfect, far from it, but why is it always the QB who gets the blame? This is a team sport. 11 on O, 11 on D. Every facet must work and be proficient for the team to win.

You are talking about the 2017 week 17 loss.

There's not much in the way of excuses for what happened in 2016 week 17. 

40 minutes ago, rick7423 said:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa! What the heck are trying to do here? Using logic and common sense to bring up a point and all.  If you do stuff like that you'll start to give this place a bad reputation.

Not disputing the truths, but All I'm saying is that the narrative can change immediately after they possibly win against the Packers. Then we will forget. 

The fact is no team is perfect. And when the team loses their holes are magnified much greater than if they won. 

20 minutes ago, rick7423 said:

The quote I referenced was talking about 2017

I also referenced 2016's regular season finale in my post. If I remember correctly, had we won, we'd have made the playoffs. Cousins played like doo doo, we lost, and went home for January.

This isn't a Cousins thread, so I'm going to end this conversation here. My overall point is that Cousins was inconsistent. A good QB, but inconsistency really hurt his long term value.

1.  Our best players are all past their prime.  Trent Williams is icing his knees in between plays.  Not sure he can play at a high level anymore for 16 games.  Kerrigan is done.  Adrian Peterson is way past done.  Alex Smith, well, hes Alex Smith.  I love CT but who thinks he can finish the season with Captain Checkdown feeding him 15 passes every game?

--  Some truth here

2.  Josh Doctson will be out of football in 2 years.  Weve seen enough

--  I haven't seen enough yet.  Doctson is just starting his second season playing so I think it is premature to say he won't make it in the NFL.  He needs to show improvement this year but it is way too early to write him off.

3.  "Club Jay" is a real thing  Team got outworked, out coached, and was completely unprepared for Sunday.  The Colts had a transparent gameplan with both tackles out.  Run the ball up the middle, and quick passes and slants.  Absolutely no answer from the Redskins D.  Pathetic.  There is no accountability, no hard work, and no fear among the players.  None.

--  This is a very dark thought but sadly one I cannot dismiss.

4.  Andy Reid, once again, sold the Redskins a used Chrysler.  Congratulations to him.

-- Grossly unfair to a fine company whose products I have enjoyed for decades. 

5.  Bruce Allens ego sent Cousins to the Vikings.  There is no coming back from that move, not any time soon.  We have no QB plan for the next 7 years.  Snyder will not allow a rebuild, so forget about getting one in the draft, unless we trade 2 number 1s again.

--  Allen is a sock puppet.  The blame lies with Snyder who never embraced Cousins or waited until it was too late.

6.  Dan Snyder is an incompetent idiot.  Petty, tyrannical, immature, impatient, and most of all, he is dumb.  He will never build a winner.  We have all seen enough

--  I knew it the minute he fired Marty but couldn't bring myself to sever my ties.

7.  Team has invested two straight first rounders and two straight second rounders on the defensive front 7 and a RB.  our defensive front 7 sucks, and our running game is awful.

--  Too early to tell about DL but absolutely agree that the running game sucks.

12 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I also referenced 2016's regular season finale in my post. If I remember correctly, had we won, we'd have made the playoffs. Cousins played like doo doo, we lost, and went home for January.

This isn't a Cousins thread, so I'm going to end this conversation here. My overall point is that Cousins was inconsistent. A good QB, but inconsistency really hurt his long term value.

You brought it up to begin with. I just responded about he who cannot be named

16 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Hurt his long-term value?  Kirk turned down a guaranteed 3-year 90M offer from the Jets to accept a 3-year 84M deal with the Vikings.  

21 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

He's going to make more money than any football player in history before his career ends. So, you need to explain yourself here.

40 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Here you go: He who shall not named - will tear up the league

22 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He's going to make more money than any football player in history before his career ends. So, you need to explain yourself here.

He could, but I doubt he will, especially if he wins a SB in Minny. He'll retire early, give half his money away and take up another career. Once he's proven he can win, I can see him walking away. He ain't gonna screw himself over playing in the NFL for too long. Just my guess.

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

I always wondered why we as a fanbase love to anoint our positional coaches the status of "one of the best in the league" before they've done a damn thing for us.

We did it with Callahan we did it with tomsula and we pretty much did it with gray.

You know how I know we got ourselves a pretty damn good coach?

Some other team snatches them up.

Mcvay for example, the rams grabbed him the minute he finished puberty.

Maybe because Callahan and Tomsula are widely seen as coaching gurus when it comes to OL and DL?

You can wonder, but you also have to take into account that guys like Dunbar, Fuller, made huge jumps with Gray at the helm. Moses when he started around was seen as a failure by most around here. Tomsula? Check Ioannidis and see the progress... You can't discard those facts as well...

Now as much as I hated our outting against the Colts, especially when it comes to our lines, I'm wondering if there's not more than what we've seen.

After all, players have to play games one at a time. They're supposed to focus on the next game, and not 2/3 games down the road. That's a recipe for failure (and maybe that did happen as our guys thought more about that Green Bay / Saints / Panthers games than the supposedly easy Colts).

Coaching on the other hand have to take the whole season into account. They have to find ways to come out of regular season with a ticket to the playoffs. You have to deal with your roster with its own strengths and weaknesses. And sometimes you know that you'll have trouble against some specific teams because their strengths do plays your weaknesses and that's not good a thing. Why do the Cowboys have our numbers with stunts and such? Why do the Colts went with it as well?

Because that's a recipe for success against our lines? Well Callahan's lines. If that was true, you'll have to believe that every DC would ask their DL to play it this way.

Except they don't.

Why?

Because their players aren't athletics enough? Because they aren't disciplined enough? Whatever, but most likely because they aren't that good at it, and if that fails, they're in for a long day.

So for a coach, is it really worth it to change everything you teach, every process, and change the way you play for one game if it can jeopardizes the whole season?

Answer here is no. You just don't do it. You go with what you do and try to come out of it with a W. But you knew from the beginning that this specific opponent would give you problems. But if your strategy is best for 10/12 opponents a season and bad against 4/6. You might just go as well with it, because you still have better chances of winning in the regular season.

OK, fans hates to see us lose to Dallas (I do too). But if I had a strategy that will make me lose to Dallas twice a year but will allow me to win the Superbowl each year, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No proof, no whatever as coaches are not gonna tell you this straight (I'd really love to have a beer or two with Jay and talk football damn!), just thinking out loud on a stupid idea, as always.

But one that might have some truth in it.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

[Kirk] ain't gonna screw himself over playing in the NFL for too long.

Have you see the way the NFL is babying up the game?  By the time Kirk's three years expires, it is going to be illegal to rush the QB.  He could play until 40 and never get touched.

3 hours ago, rick7423 said:

You brought it up to begin with. I just responded about he who cannot be named

Cousins could not close....as good as he looks in Minnesota lets see how he does in January when it's time to win games. He got his numbers but not the numbers in the win column when we needed him most. 

NEWS FLASH, Lauvao injured and expected to miss playing time. I'm absolutely SHOCKED. SHOCKED I SAY

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Not 100% ready to give up on Doctson yet, at least not to the point of ruling out any kind of career.

But everything else I completely agree with.

I'm giving him the season. If he doesn't make that step then it's safe to say it just won't happen in DC.

Archived