Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Hard Truths

zoony

30 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Someone wake me up when Kirk wins a meaningful game. Until then, let me enjoy my slumber. 

I mean all this bc he almost beat a mediocre packers team with a hobbled Aaron Rodgers?  Gimme a break. 

Calm down. “All this” is basically just an article with sources saying how good he can be in MIN with a sound organization.  Not really earth shattering stuff, as most of us already knew this.  But it’s just kind of funny and sad how it’s common knowledge that the Skins FO is a ****show.

But honestly, what are you all going to do when he wins these “meaningful” games you speak of?

I just wonder if you guys will ever admit that you were wrong about him or will say it’s all because of everyone else around him and he Dilfer’d his way to the promise land.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Calm down. “All this” is basically just an article with sources saying how good he can be in MIN with a sound organization.  Not really earth shattering stuff, as most of us already knew this.  But it’s just kind of funny and sad how it’s common knowledge that the Skins FO is a ****show.

But honestly, what are you all going to do when he wins these “meaningful” games you speak of?

I just wonder if you guys will ever admit that you were wrong about him or will say it’s all because of everyone else around him and he Dilfer’d his way to the promise land.

Works both ways. If he wins big games, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. If he doesn’t, I’d expect those in your camp to do the same. I’ve been watching football for some time now. I think I have a decent eye (for a television football jockey) when it comes to talent. Kirk is a very good QB. I haven’t seen and don’t expect to see anything that will elevate him to the rarified air of Rodgers or Brady or even the tier below that. 

7 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Kirk is a very good QB. I haven’t seen and don’t expect to see anything that will elevate him to the rarified air of Rodgers or Brady or even the tier below that. 

Im not sure you’ll find anyone that thinks he’s going to sniff Rodgers or Brady.  But I can absolutely see him in that next group.

2 hours ago, kleese said:

I think it's a little early for this thread. I'd say wait until we are 2-7 or 4-8. The sample size of 25 years is certainly big enough, but as it pertains to this season, I think the complete jumping overboard threads and thoughts are a tad premature. 

Ed, I agree that its too early to predict how this season is going to go. But I think there's a sense that once again this team is probably NOT going to have that breakthrough 11-5 or better season in 2018.....at least the loss to the Colts really dampened confidence in its possibilities.  For many, I think going 8-8 this season is worse than 2-14 at this point. 

2 hours ago, zoony said:

The organizational meltdown has begun.  So much for football season

I'm as vocal a critic as any on Jay, and I thought that was funny. :)

29 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Icing on the cake is when Kirk wins a superbowl with the Vikes and throws for 40 TDs. I couldnt imagine this place, but I'm sure as hell going to log on to watch the chaos

If kirk throws 40 TDs and wins the SB, I would hope that would be all the evidence Danny Boy would need to throw the whole lot of them, Bruce, Jay and all their lackeys out on their asses. 

Which might be about the only good thing to come out of this whole mess. 

2 hours ago, mojo said:

I used to think the same thing but damn, your team just came off a embarrassingly listless effort in losing in front your quickly dwindling ‘home’ crowd and this is the response you give?? ‘I don’t know, I just met them.   Christ, at least fake some semblance of leadership.

Gruden ain't a leader. In some ways I respect him for not really trying to hide it. It all came full circle for me when DJax gave him a titty twister.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gruden ain't a leader. In some ways I respect him for not really trying to hide it. It all came full circle for me when DJax gave him a titty twister.

It's just amazing that there are so many people who just can't see that.  Good guy, good play designer, not a leader, not a good HC. 

A player should never think giving the HC a nip-pinch is a good idea.  It might be in jest, but it's not acceptable. 

41 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

I think I might die if we give this regime 3 more years.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 9.41.19 PM.png

Where is this trust coming from?  I get it  if Scot was still around.  He demonstrated the ability to build a talented roster around the QB in Seattle and San Fran.  Bruce and Doug have not.  

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Ed, I agree that its too early to predict how this season is going to go. But I think there's a sense that once again this team is probably NOT going to have that breakthrough 11-5 or better season in 2018.....at least the loss to the Colts really dampened confidence in its possibilities.  For many, I think going 8-8 this season is worse than 2-14 at this point. 

Well if we go 8-8 this year it will easily be the best four year stretch we’ve had during this 25 year period we all talk about. Context matters too... starting 8-4 and finishing 8-8 is different than starting 1-7 and finishing 8-8. But in general, while I wouldn’t be “excited” about 8-8 it would probably mean the team retained my interest most of the season... and again that really isn’t same ole Redskins. It will be new ole Redskins. New ole Redskins may still not be good enough, but it would technically be an improvement. 

6 minutes ago, kleese said:

Well if we go 8-8 this year it will easily be the best four year stretch we’ve had during this 25 year period we all talk about. Context matters too... starting 8-4 and finishing 8-8 is different than starting 1-7 and finishing 8-8. But in general, while I wouldn’t be “excited” about 8-8 it would probably mean the team retained my interest most of the season... and again that really isn’t same ole Redskins. It will be new ole Redskins. New ole Redskins may still not be good enough, but it would technically be an improvement. 

Ed, lets say they do go 8-8, but its not via one of the extremes you mention, but mainly thru plodding around .500 all season with some injuries, but not nearly the amount that derailed the team in 2017.  Do you bring Jay back or go in a different direction?

If Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and even ack...Jeff Hostetler can win a SB thanks to an elite defense, maybe Cousins can too.  But let's remember, even journeymen Case Keenum and Sam Bradford put up all pro stats with that receiving corp - and that was with the starting RB on IR. Cousins wilted in prime time and must win games. We didn't lose the next Drew Brees; we lost the newest Andy Dalton.

Ultimately, as long as Lord Farquad or his minion Smithers are picking the coaches, we are doomed.

Threads like these are why I avoid ES after losses.

Last week, everyone was sniffing the jock straps of our lineman saying how dominant they are. This week they’re bums who can’t play worth a damn or are over the hill. 

The NFL is a ****ing week to week league. Things can change in a single game that alter seasons. Weren’t the 2007 Giants a dumpster fire after going 0-2 and giving up 80 combined points? Nah - they won the SB that year. What about when the Chiefs destroyed Brady in Week 4 a couple years ago? I remember all the talk was he was washed up and finally going out to pasture. Nah - they won another SB or two. 

I get it... the Skins don’t get the same vote of confidence as those teams. Nor should they. But I’m with Kleese on this - way too early to be making these bold proclamations acting like the sky is falling. 

13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

If Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and even ack...Jeff Hostetler can win a SB thanks to an elite defense, maybe Cousins can too.  But let's remember, even journeymen Case Keenum and Sam Bradford put up all pro stats with that receiving corp - and that was with the starting RB on IR. Cousins wilted in prime time and must win games. We didn't lose the next Drew Brees; we lost the newest Andy Dalton.

Ultimately, as long as Lord Farquad or his minion Smithers are picking the coaches, we are doomed.

Vikings WR corps is good but it's not earth shattering. Basically what we had in Jackson and Garcon, 2 good receivers that get the job done. 

Drew Brees? Andy Dalton? I think Kirk falls right in between them, hes certainly better than Andy. I think he'll be in that top 5 to 10 range by seasons end. 

35 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Ed, lets say they do go 8-8, but its not via one of the extremes you mention, but mainly thru plodding around .500 all season with some injuries, but not nearly the amount that derailed the team in 2017.  Do you bring Jay back or go in a different direction?

What you described is the worst case scenario to me in terms of deciding if we bring him back. I hate to answer this way, but I think I’d just be OK either way. I’d understand both schools of thought. If I was forced to decide I’d probably say bring him back. This of course has everything to do with how you feel about Jay in general. Personally, I’ve been a fan. I do think he did a terrible job against the Colts. 

If Kirk wins a Super Bowl with the Vikings, good for him, however I think it also has a lot to do with the Minnesota organization building a championship caliber team.  They were in the NFC Championship with Case Keenum under center.  Anyone thing Case Keenum could get this team 11 wins?

Kirk upgraded the team around him. No shame in that. He also got paid an excessive amount for it.  The Vikings took the gamble that Kirk will be enough notches better than Keenum, in the big games, that it will be worth the pay day.

We will find out soon enough, the NFL season flies by (Can you believe it is already about to be Week 3?).  One thing is for sure though, Cousins didn't get paid all that money for September.

22 minutes ago, kleese said:

What you described is the worst case scenario to me in terms of deciding if we bring him back. I hate to answer this way, but I think I’d just be OK either way. I’d understand both schools of thought. If I was forced to decide I’d probably say bring him back. This of course has everything to do with how you feel about Jay in general. Personally, I’ve been a fan. I do think he did a terrible job against the Colts. 

This team going 8-8 is just par for the Jay Gruden course.  Just look at the trajectory of this team.  Besides 2015, when the team went on a run (while the rest of the NFC East was simultaneously either injured to bits or just sucked) can you name any point under Gruden's tenure where the overall product left you more hopeful?  I am not talking about the roster personnel because I do think that has improved some at some positions, while getting worse at others.

However I am talking about the sum of the parts.  Has the product on the field ever shown consistent growth, sustained growth.  From what I see it is just a constant .500 team. Never getting over the hump, yet never performing so awful as to set Snyder into a big enough rage to burn the mofo down.

8-8 always will give you hope for the next season, often times false hope.  It's year 5 of Gruden, where has the jump happened?  

Why in year 5 of Gruden do we have players post-game STILL talking about how they were flat during practice, didn't play hard, got out-played, not enough effort......what the hell is that and why does it keep happening?

I was a Gruden supporter for the first three seasons and gave him some benefit of the doubt in Year 4 due to all the injuries,but so far Year 5 looks like more of the same, which is the same inconsistency that continues to plague this franchise? Is it ALL Gruden? Nah. Bruce Allen should be gone too, but I think he and Gruden can hold hands on the way out together.

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

We may need to add a sticky thread to the stadium with a suicide hotline.

Damn, I've never seen it this bad around here even at the tail end of our four win seasons. 

It's weird to me too considering the team has been average and not as bad as those hapless 4-12 teams. I have a few personal theories:

-The team is covered by local media in a "glass half empty" kind of way.

- ExtremeSkins is very "extreme".  This board brings out the emotional side in us.

-This team has extremely bad luck and circumstance...

-If we get excited about a player. They get hurt, suspended, don't live up to high expectations, and recently are allowed to just walk out the door.

-When this team has an exciting win they usually follow the next week with a bad loss or a near loss to a bad team.

-Players injured every week on TV

-Haven't been able to draft a "household" name to keep the fans excited.

-Things like an overtaken stadium, minimal NFL coverage, and camera angles of empty seats make fans feel more embarrassed to be fan of the team vs being a prideful fan.

It's basically a mental beatdown. The team needs a string of wins to get the fans back motivated again.

44 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Here's a nice positive stat:

Through two weeks, the Redskins rank #1 in total defense (YPG). 

This will most certainly change with Aaron Rodgers coming to town, but our defense has only given up 322 yards in two games. 

With a two game sample size, and the fact that the Cardinals were much better against the Skins D than they were against the Rams D... I would tap the breaks a bit about that #1 Defense stat.

On the other hand, the Green Bay fans that I know don't have a lot of confidence in their team.  The Packers are not big favorites in this next game.  The Skins beating the Packers this week would not be a huge upset.

Archived