Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

We'll have to see, I don't think this crowd was anything like what we saw with Griffin, but most of those fans are still here, waiting.

We’ll see.  I think fans are just going to wait and see all season and see if this team keeps the win 1, lose 1, win 1 lose 1 type of thing going.  It’s 50/50 at the moment you’ll get Colts effort or Packers effort.  

They have to prove Packers effort is more likely before people will commit time and money.

i could see games late at n the season that are meaningful being well attended, assuming they have a few win streaks and maybe a better division record.

27 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

At least on TV, it looked like Lambeau Field East out there. I was listening to it while I was doing some stuff around the house, and I had no idea if it was the Skins or Packers making a big play based on crowd noise.

Interesting thing I saw on NBC Sports Washington postgame is that DHall and Matich openly admitted it was a Packers crowd at the start...however both said it became a pro-Redskins crowd after that because of all the plays they were making on the field (strong running game, etc). 

One said that wins like these help draw more people to the stadium. I'm not going to be one of those guys who wants the community to boycott Dan. Come out to the Redskins stadium to support the players. They're good people. As someone up above posted, if they can beat New Orleans...you best believe a lot of people want to see them against Carolina, who is also pretty good.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:56 PM, skins2victory said:

I am an out of state fan. I live in Washington state. Some of the local D.C. area fans might not understand how big the out of state fan base is, but it is probably much bigger than a lot of you would think. Look no further than the Redskin Rallies held the night before at the away games, Redskins nation represents! When the Skins head west to play Seattle, dang right you will find me there wearing the colors proudly. That stadium is always full of burgundy. Week 1 in Arizona, at least on TV it looked like the Skins were well represented. Week 2, our HOME OPENER............  What the heck local fans. Ya'll deserve to be called out. I was embarrassed to see our stadium half empty. The players were even talking about how bad it was. WE NEED OUR HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.  Following the game there were joke memes made from pictures of our stadium, redskins fans were literally portrayed as a joke. Again, total embarrassment to Redskins Nation. I hope ya'll decide to represent our team better in the weeks to come. HTTR!

Oh please. This franchise has been mediocre to awful since March 1993 when Joe Gibbs left  and you see fit to tell people where to spend their hard-earned money?

Amazes me that after 25 years people still Drink the Kool Aid - the 80s are over let it go. NOBODY should ever be called out for deciding to spend there money elsewhere. And as if the on-field product wasn't crappy enough, the stadium is a dump in the middle of nowhere and until this year with the two new execs, the fan experience was pretty atrocious.

There was a time when 80,000+ would show up every week for years. The Skins are 84-83-1 at the stadium so what home field advantage was that?

If the Capitals had a half empty arena for their home opener this year, that'd be thread-worthy because that is a championship organization. But these are the Redskins and it's 2018 not 1987.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We’ll see.  I think fans are just going to wait and see all season and see if this team keeps the win 1, lose 1, win 1 lose 1 type of thing going.  It’s 50/50 at the moment you’ll get Colts effort or Packers effort.  

That is the key.  Being a 'Skins fan raised in NorCal, I ended up an A's fan too and our fanbase in Oakland is going through a similar issue.  All through the Beane era, the fanbase is tired of seeing him (past ownership's fault more than him) put together teams that can squeak into the playoffs only to be bounced immediately.

Eventually the team (any team, really) has to advance past their current reputation to win back not just the fans, but the ticket-buying, game-attending fans.  This win one, lose one  finish around .500 routine isn't going to cut it anymore.

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

I will start going to the games again when the game day experience at the stadium is better (and cheaper) than my couch, my beer, my food, and my friends and family with HD coverage from all angles.  

every fan of every team within an hour of a stadium can say this...but they don't.

DC sucks...and its not the team. DC is just a fairweather town

No heart

Strike that.....this tweet has it at less than 60K today, which is more believable from being there.

Even with the poor weather (rain was probably a bit heavier at the beginning, but thought it was mainly drizzle from being in the stands), for the Packers to be in town and get less than 60K...…..we are hurting. And like I said, the lower bowl was absolutely dominated by Packer fans. 

19 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Strike that.....this tweet has it at less than 60K today, which is more believable from being there.

Even with the poor weather (rain was probably a bit heavier at the beginning, but thought it was mainly drizzle from being in the stands), for the Packers to be in town and get less than 60K...…..we are hurting. And like I said, the lower bowl was absolutely dominated by Packer fans. 

So is this going to be the official attendance thread?  We got creamed last week and it rained today.  I'm not used to seeing that few people in there anyway, but like has been established, that's looking like it needs to be earned back with more consistent winning (which they could do this year, playing like they did today and against Arizona)

6 minutes ago, VeroViper said:

I wonder how much of this can be attributed to disenchantment with the NFL in general. I expected close to capacity with the Packers being in town. We know television ratings are down. Anyone have any stats handy on league wide attendance? 

Of the top 50 most watched TV programs in 2017, 37 were NFL games including basically the entire top 10. The NFL is fine. TV ratings are down period because of technology and on-demand.

35 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

every fan of every team within an hour of a stadium can say this...but they don't.

No heart

So selling out FedEx for years while the team was a laughing stock means nothing?

45 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

No heart

Umm, no. The team sucks. Have you seen the Caps areana?

If I were an nfl owner, building a stadium for the future, Id build a stadium that was between 45-55k capacity.  You would have to tweak your business plan but could easily be done i think

If you want people to show up make it an exclusive, intimate experience.

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

If I were an nfl owner, building a stadium for the future, Id build a stadium that was between 45-55k capacity.  You would have to tweak your business plan but could easily be done i think

You build a 50-60k stadium, and the product is good?  Visiting team fans will have a tough time getting in unless the home team is awful.

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Seriously just watching red zone channel today, i think the redskins probably have the emptiest stadium in the league.  

Without packer fans attendance would have been below 40k

In many ways the chickens have come home to roost, and this current Redskins team is paying for the sins of the prior ones.  A lot of people paid a lot of money and invested a lot of emotion and time into a team that let them down more often than not.  Fans that were often laughed out of the stadium by a team that ****s the bed in prime time and 40,000 of the opponents fans are in the stadium no matter who we play...because the secondary market makes the tickets too easy to get.  Not to mention the nightmare of trying to get home.  Essentially, a lot of things have led us to this.  This team needs a new stadium and a fresh look on game day to bring the fans back.  A deep playoff run would certainly help.  

Also, a lot of people have moved here for the government jobs and they stay loyal to their hometown teams.  They are willing to pay $300 a head for decent seats and parking to see their team play live.

38 minutes ago, zoony said:

Zoon, check out this article from early this year in the Las Vegas Sun, specifically the last two paragraphs. The Raiders president quoted might have misspoke, but I'm unaware of what other team is planning a new stadium other than the Skins.  The original plan was for the new stadium to hold roughly 60K, but they might have tweaked the plans:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/may/09/why-a-65000-seat-stadium-capacity-suits-the-raider/?utm_source=mostpopular&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=mostRead

29 minutes ago, zoony said:

I agree, but I think you also have to prioritize a dome with very easy access to public transportation access.  The older people get the more appealing their couch and big screen become.  If the redskins want a younger crowd in this area that means luring an younger urban crowd.  

Easy. Comfortable. Positive. Fun.  The sort of mindset which used to be the norm for children, but now for adults.  

1 hour ago, VeroViper said:

I wonder how much of this can be attributed to disenchantment with the NFL in general. I expected close to capacity with the Packers being in town. We know television ratings are down. Anyone have any stats handy on league wide attendance? 

You might have a point.  I personally know Redskins fans that are boycotting this year and possibly longer.  Mostly because of the Kaepernick situation.

Skins need to rethink everything about their fans, Everything Top to bottom. From fan experience, concessions, parking, merchandise. They SHOULD bite the bullet on a bunch of stuff and make it a no brainer for Skins Fan to be at te stadium. Because the way its looking is the Skins fan has woken up to the value proposition when it concerns their team. 

They have to do more and work smarter on winning their fans back. There is a mutiny in progress, just look at this board.

As an FYI, I was a season ticket holder for a number of years, always drove to the games.  I always stayed to the 00:00.  I got up, walked directly to my car, got in and drove home. I lived in Vienna, VA at the time. I never had any problems with traffic.  I was out of there quickly and easily.  This is also when the stadium held 20k more people.  And a lot of the games in the Gibbs years were tight, so everybody left together. 

I think the “hell of getting home” is honestly a little overstated at this point. There’s always going to be traffic getting out of a stadium.

The issue the skins have is that they have stunk for 25 years and the organization hasn’t given fans any reason to think this is going to be a week in, week out good product.  So folks are going to just wait and see before they spend time and money.

this has little to do with parking, traffic, fireworks, music, beer prices.  It’s that fans don’t know if they’re going to get Colts game effort and results or GB game effort.  

Archived