Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

9 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh I'm certain that it's the aversion to risk that drives most of it, and the desire to let someone else fund creativity while the others leech off it.

Dogfish Head is a perfect example, they've been forced to protect their brand from the big dogs who have the capital to roll out a knock off, and then they have to protect themselves against start-ups who want to build their companies off Dogfish Head's success. All because of the work that Dogfish Head did in creating something successful. Now, everyone just wants to roll out their knock off that they spent the weekend copying.

One of our customers is "BigBev" they flood the market with fake microbrews. Part of their thinking is that someone interested in branching out tastes what they think is a microbrew offering and goes "meh" and decides to stick with Miller Lite forever. Yep, these "Microbrews" you've never heard of probably are just the concoction of some marketing dept at AB-InBev or MillerCoors or some conglomerate. Or the other way is they buy up these microbreweries and continue selling it under their name. 98% of all beer in this country is sold by BigBev. Even famous brands like Sam Adams still only accounts for less than 1% of total beer sales in the US. 

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

One of our customers is "BigBev" they flood the market with fake microbrews. Part of their thinking is that someone interested in branching out tastes what they think is a microbrew offering and goes "meh" and decides to stick with Miller Lite forever. Yep, these "Microbrews" you've never heard of probably are just the concoction of some marketing dept at AB-InBev or MillerCoors or some conglomerate. Or the other way is they buy up these microbreweries and continue selling it under their name. 98% of all beer in this country is sold by BigBev. Even famous brands like Sam Adams still only accounts for less than 1% of total beer sales in the US. 

I don't really care who makes it as long as it tastes good.  I'm sure that might be an unpopular opinion among beer snobs but I don't care that MillerCoors makes Blue Moon and that they try to act like it's some down-home brewery with a staff of 50 people trying to make an honest living by doing what they love.  It tastes good.  AB owns Devil's Backbone, it's still yummy and I'll still order it.  The only reason I would assume someone would get pissed off finding out that a "microbrew" was actually owned by BigBev is if they were trying to be hipster trendy and cool.  I can easily picture some dude wearing skinny jeans yammering about how the beer he's drinking is special for some dumb reason and the redneck next to him leans over and says "Hey son, that's actually made by Miller."

That Beer Wars documentary that came out a few years ago was really good.  

8 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Will Ferrell is not funny, not at all.

I'd agree for the most part.  It's the same schtick over and over repackaged in different ways.  It's Will Ferrell playing a character who's a little out of it and acts like a buffoon.  

His Harry Caray impression is great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Yeah. Me neith. I guess there IS a subset of the population in general whose taste buds are keyed in for that bitter flavor.

I like pretty much all beers: lagers, stouts, porters, wheats, malts and every thing else in between—except IPAs and some weird fruit infused beers. 

Give me a good german lager Im good.

There are a few ales I like, but for the most part, lagers are my personal fav

I am convinced American beer drinkers are stupid.  Go to any bar and there are 15 IPAs on tap.  I ask what lagers they have, `you mean sam adams?`.  Jesus.

If theyve been doing it since before columbus discovered america, chances are its pretty ****ing good.  IPAs are for rubes who thin great beer should have a strong, bitter, flavor.  Or taste like pumpkins or some other nonsense.  Show me a beer loaded with hops and Ill show you an ignorant startup brewery who is making money off the stupidity of americans.  Maybe after 1000 years americans might learn some actual brewing techniques and develop subtle, nuanced flavors that are in balance.  One can only hope

/rant

8 minutes ago, grego said:

I think it's a personal taste bud thing. I used to be like zoony - hated wine. Now, I love it. Good wine, not cheap wine. 

Ascertaining "good wine" is hard too though. A lot of vineyards don't grow their own or enough grapes to satisfy demand. So they buy grape juice or mash in bulk. There's a lot of chemistry involved in creating a homogenous, consistent taste.

The best example out there is Grey Goose. Complete marketing "scam" as one should expect "French Vodka" to be. The base, distilled spirit is off the shelf. There's no French guy in a little villa in the south with a copper still making this stuff by hand. Guy who started it sold it for a billion dollars to one of the big conglomerates. 

1 minute ago, zoony said:

Give me a good german lager Im good.

There are a few ales I like, but for the most part, lagers are my personal fav

I am convinced American beer drinkers are stupid.  Go to any bar and there are 15 IPAs on tap.  I ask what lagers they have, `you mean sam adams?`.  Jesus.

If theyve been doing it since before columbus discovered america, chances are its pretty ****ing good.  IPAs are for rubes who thin great beer should have a strong, bitter, flavor.  Or taste like pumpkins or some other nonsense.  Show me a beer loaded with hops and Ill show you an ignorant startup brewery who is making money off the stupidity of americans.  Maybe after 1000 years americans might learn some actual brewing techniques and develop subtle, nuanced flavors that are in balance.  One can only hope

/rant

I love telling the story of hanging with my wife's friend's husband while our wives went out. He's an Air Force cargo pilot and makes runs to Germany routinely. He'd just come back the day before and had a case of stuff called Kristal Weiss. It was amazing beer. We just got plastered off that stuff. Heil Germany Beer Purity laws. I go to Germany annually and I like that each region has it's own beer style. You go to a "pub" they don't have 15 taps—you can order Helles or Dunkel (Light or Dark). 

• Like 1

Tequila is my liquor of choice. I actually liked Casamigos even before I knew it was a George Clooney funded project. Red flags go up when self-proclaimed tequila aficionados order Patron. Especially Patron Silver.

I can chill all night with a Reposado on the rocks. 

29 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Will Ferrell is not funny, not at all.

I think he is fundamentally a funny person. But I also think that, in movies, he essentially just plays himself so it's gotten tired. I have the same thoughts on Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. It's not without its humor, it's just been done in slightly different settings/environments a couple too many times. 

Give me SNL Will Ferrell though...brief blasts of hilarity. 

30 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

OK, since we are talking about alcohol, here goes. Bourbon, whiskey, and scotch taste like I imagine turpentine or furniture varnish taste. Neat, straight up, or on the rocks. 

I forced myself to start drinking bourbon a few years ago. I didn't originally love the taste but I was so sick of ingesting 36-48 ounces of beer just to get a nice twist from it. So, I started with some benign bourbon (Bulleit, Woodford, Knob Creek) with a few ice cubes and liked that I could sip a couple drinks over the course of a couple hours and feel warm. 

Now, my go-to is virtually any bourbon with a couple ice cubes and a splash of a spicy ginger beer or ginger ale. Not a Canada Dry or anything, but something with some bite. It's nice and I've lost that horrible, full, bloated feeling I always got from drinking beer. 

Quick clarification - that wasn't to mean that those actors CAN'T do anything else or don't have range...I just meant that I too am growing tired of their Comedy Movie shtick. 

Old School

Wedding Crashers 

Dodgeball

Couples Retreat

The Breakup 

The Internship

VV was basically the exact same guy (himself) in each of those movies. 

Vince Vaughn is fine as a supporting character in movies like Mr and Mrs Smith, but he is painfully irritating as a lead. The Breakup, for example, is agonizingly unwatchable. If he's in a movie for more than 10-15 minutes it becomes dreadful. He's only good as a bit character, like Eugene Levy or John Candy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Yeah. Me neith. I guess there IS a subset of the population in general whose taste buds are keyed in for that bitter flavor.

That's me. I drink my coffee black and I love IPAs. I like both ends of the hop spectrum from the grapefruit kind to the more piney kind.

That said, my absolute favorite beers are the ones that have a rich flavor and a really nice balance of malt and hops. Looooooooove me some dark beers. 

I once bought a 15-pack variety pack of beers without reading it too closely because I had heard good things about the brewery. Turned out it was a sampler of FIVE DIFFERENT IPAS from the same brewery. That's too much man. Show me your range in a variety pack, not your trendiness. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

OK, since we are talking about alcohol, here goes. Bourbon, whiskey, and scotch taste like I imagine turpentine or furniture varnish taste. Neat, straight up, or on the rocks. 

Blasphemer!!

You're just not drinking it right. Take a bit of room temp water and dilute it down some. Yeah the purists will scream foul, but they've been drinking 140 for years so ignore them.

Once you cut the bourbon down you'll be able to taste the vanillas, caramels, and oak. 

Ice continues to dilute so the bourbon starts strong, but ends weak. And it cools the bourbon which closes your tastebuds.

Neat can be rough for beginners.

Also, try different bourbon drinks, like an old fashioned. Drinking bourbon on its own even watered down can be a bit much for those who have been raised on vodka and tequila.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

One of my good friends is fairly high up with Boston Beer (Sam Adams).  The best and easiest way to get him fired up is to pretend to "fall" for the marketing from the big conglomerates.  One of my favorites was when Miller Lite came out with the Vortex bottles and marketed like it was some technological breakthrough.

So, of course, we have to break his ball about it "OMG IT GIVES IT A GREAT VORTEX-Y FLAVOR" and "YOU CAN REALLY TASTE THE VORTEX" and whatnot.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Check out this trailer...

Ugh,....Vince Vaughn is the WORST bad guy ever!

Wasn't there an action movie where he was supposed to be a badass or the villain? I'm pretty sure I wanted to like that movie but he is so unconvincing as anything resembling a bad-ass, and that includes the Drill Sergeant from Hacksaw Ridge. Man if there was ever a less convincing hardnosed DS I've yet to see it.

How can I guy with a tattoo down the back of his head come across as such a puffball?!

*edit*

Yes! Found it!

His role in the second season of True Detective.

Just watch some of the youtube videos....truly terrible and I LOVE the series, but man he's awful when he's not funny.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

43 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ugh,....Vince Vaughn is the WORST bad guy ever!

Wasn't there an action movie where he was supposed to be a badass or the villain? I'm pretty sure I wanted to like that movie but he is so unconvincing as anything resembling a bad-ass, and that includes the Drill Sergeant from Hacksaw Ridge. Man if there was ever a less convincing hardnosed DS I've yet to see it.

How can I guy with a tattoo down the back of his head come across as such a puffball?!

*edit*

Yes! Found it!

His role in the second season of True Detective.

Just watch some of the youtube videos....truly terrible and I LOVE the series, but man he's awful when he's not funny.

He was Norman Bates in the 98 version of psycho 

I like IPAs fine, once in a while.... its really irritating that EVERY microbrew/bar/restaurant/smoe/whatev.... thinks that the only way to add variety or add interest to a beer line-up is to add an IPA...and if IPA is good, then the trebleHOP-supperiIPA must be ****ing aWE$om3!!! 

if you go to a bar with 25 beers... 10 are all the choices of bud/coors/miller their lites and sub-brews.. 12 are IPAs, and then there is a Sam Adams, a Guiness and..... <place all variety here>   

it stupid, irritating, and so damned predictable.    

(and the one "other" beer will be a wheat beer.... )       MY unpopular position:   all wheat beers taste like someone took the leftover fruit from some frat party's Rohypnol punch, dumped it in a half empty gallon of spolied milk,  the whole frat used it as a "spit jar" for their Skoal drippings, someone puked in it, everyone pissed in it, then left it in the sun for two weeks to mature.     

I hate wheat beer.  its the only beer i hate.   i can take the Milwaukee's Bests, or the Busch-Ice-Lite, or the amateur-trippleHOP-torture-nonsense....  but wheat beer is just plain spoiled-rancid-diarrhea-water. 

FIrst frame in Marvel's upcoming "Origin story of Wheat Beer in AMerica"....

th?id=AinADf3RBInANRg1808x1150&w=432&h=2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Blasphemer!!

You're just not drinking it right. Take a bit of room temp water and dilute it down some. Yeah the purists will scream foul, but they've been drinking 140 for years so ignore them.

Once you cut the bourbon down you'll be able to taste the vanillas, caramels, and oak. 

Ice continues to dilute so the bourbon starts strong, but ends weak. And it cools the bourbon which closes your tastebuds.

Neat can be rough for beginners.

Also, try different bourbon drinks, like an old fashioned. Drinking bourbon on its own even watered down can be a bit much for those who have been raised on vodka and tequila.

I don't like any hard liquor. And I have tried every which way to drink some bourbon/whiskey/scotch and have yet to like a single drop.

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I don't like any hard liquor. And I have tried every which way to drink some bourbon/whiskey/scotch and have yet to like a single drop.

try it over ice,  about 3 parts bourbon, 2 parts water, and a bit less than 1 part coke....       (as opposed to a bourbon and coke ... which is like 2/3 coke, and way to sweet and syrupy)

it is much less overpowering that way :)