Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

14 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Barbara Mandrell song: You Can Eat Crackers In My Bed Anytime (70s/80s) 

Mom would always turn the volume down in the car & start talking...?

As I’ve gotten older I can’t help but laugh when country music fans lecture others about the content in other music. What other genre sings as much and glorifies things like adultery, alcoholism, murder, sexual objectification and violence as often as CW? Oh but they sing ‘bout Jesus, so it’s all ok.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

As I’ve gotten older I can’t help but laugh when country music fans lecture others about the content in other music. What other genre sings as much and glorifies things like adultery, alcoholism, murder, sexual objectification and violence as often as CW? Oh but they sing ‘bout Jesus, so it’s all ok.

Brad Paisley = truth. A master of words, and as Keith Urban said, "the best picker in Nashville, everybody knows it." ✌

44 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

People claimed if you played Led Zeppelin backwards you'd hear satanic messages.

Play country music backwards and you get out of prison, sober up, and you wife and dog come back to you.

Trailer park reference abandoned...we have evolved since that joke was first done...

I LIKE THAT.?

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's safer then alcohol, and you're underestimating how many functional weed smokers there are

The jury is still out, way out, on its relative safety.  As we are seeing it become legal we are also seeing a lot more focus from the scientific community.  My suggestion is that we all keep an open mind on that front.

But my argument is not that it is dangerous, but that people who win at life arent smoking weed on a regular basis.  Obviously some professions probably benefit from it, like musician, artist, or entertainers.  But these are not everyday people. 

As to your second point, might be true, might not.  But hey, this is the unpopular opinions thread.  Its just a personal opinion I have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die."

I like some country, but that bro country stuff has got to go.  Gimme that dark ****:

"Let's drink ourselves to death, let's stare at one another..."

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zoony said:

The jury is still out, way out, on its relative safety.  As we are seeing it become legal we are also seeing a lot more focus from the scientific community.  My suggestion is that we all keep an open mind on that front.

But my argument is not that it is dangerous, but that people who win at life arent smoking weed on a regular basis.  Obviously some professions probably benefit from it, like musician, artist, or entertainers.  But these are not everyday people. 

As to your second point, might be true, might not.  But hey, this is the unpopular opinions thread.  Its just a personal opinion I have.

More then fair.  I'd say my opinion also comes from personal experience, family, friends, current and former co-workers, business owners and store managers and line cooks.  I've said before that experience is weed doesn't make you lazy, but if your already lazy you will likely end up lazier.  That's different then a midnight toker. I finished my associates with a 4.0 GPA, and Bachelors with 3.85 and multiple certs, when you are relentless, nothing can stop you except you, not even weed.

The further research thing I get, though there was a post earlier in the thread about how alcohol even in small amounts isn't worth it.  I've had and have medications I can't take anywhere near me being drunk or actively drinking alcohol, some that litreally say avoid alcohol.  Psychiatrist I've had have made clear to take breaks when trying or changing medications to confirm the effects of the change, but if it works for me in general not to stop.

Only reason I've stopped the last two weeks is to get a clearence in regards to my career, we probably aren't having this conversation if I hadn't figured out early in life the positive effects it had on me and my personal situation. 

Edit: the kill rate of alcohol and weed is incomparable, especially since it's nearly impossible to OD on weed.  Alcohol is easy to OD on, people die from that everyday.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die."

I like some country, but that bro country stuff has got to go.  Gimme that dark ****

Amen to that!! 

The dark stuff has soul, the Bro-Country is as soulless and has as much depth as a mud-puddle. It’s nothing more than a shallow cliche ridden cynical approach to making music.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I love me some Conway Twitty. But not around the kids... lol

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, gbear said:

We should stop drinking alcohol.  How's that for an unpopular opinion?

Every now and then in a drug discussion I hear, "but it's safer than smoking."  Less often I hear, "but it's safer than alcohol."

The truth is we should do neither.  There is no safe amount of regular drinking.  Sure, a drink or two a day may lower your risk for a heart attack or a particular type of cancer according to some studies, but those studies ignore it's contribution to the odds we will die from other likely causes of death.  This article sums it up pretty well Safest level of alcohol consumption is none .

How about a popular opinion, instead??     The above is junk science.   (junk statistics, at least), and the headline eye-catching statement is utter and complete nonsense (from their OWN analysis).

In order to avoid confusion and the need to (impossibly) balance very abstract potential gains, from very abstract potential losses... the study ignores the potential beneficial impact of moderate alcohol (on things like cholesterol), and focuses exclusively on the potential for alcohol to increase the likelihood of a whole bunch of potential adverse effects, in a whole bunch of adverse studies.    This is a fine survey-design decision, in order to get cleaner, more easy to understand results...as long as the simplifying point is made clear in the interpreting the results.   Statistics often requires this sort of simplification........ However, even  given  THAT focus (only on the negative), the study concludes.... that someone that drinks 1 drink a day increases their potential for an adverse effect... microscopically   (the difference between statistically significant and operationally significant is a key distinction here, but this result is NEITHER.)

<for a group drinking one drink a day> 25,000 people would need to drink 400,000 bottles of gin to experience one extra health problem compared to non-drinkers, “which indicates a rather low level of harm in these occasional drinkers.”

that is one additional alcohol related (of the 24) health problem ... not one additional death....  not one additional significantly adversely affected individual.. .one additional data point.    

the study (or at the very least, the bull**** headline grabbing "you-can't-afford-to-miss-this" conclusions from the study) is junk science.   

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Pot evangelists always remind me of really chill essential oils people.

Pot demonizers are typically cliche / sterotype regurgitators (or have alterior motives).  Weed isn't for everyone, but leaving it Schedule 1 makes the conversation harder to be able to gather the research to justify it not being in that category because it's not allowed.  The dangers of marijuana have historically been overstated for nefarious reasons.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the MAIN key to improving your own happiness is much less complicated than most people are able or willing to admit.   If you had to sum it up in one religion, it would be  BillandTed-ology:    "be excellent to each other" ....   or , just plain "Good Karma"

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

the MAIN key to improving your own happiness is much less complicated than most people are able or willing to admit.   If you had to sum it up in one religion, it would be  BillandTed-ology:    "be excellent to each other" ....   or , just plain "Good Karma"

Preach, my brother. 

Kindness, love, compassion, and maybe a little marijuana.....could make us all a lot happier and more tolerant of one another. 

• Like 2