Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

32 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Everyone knows our guys r bestest! :P

I so get sick of blind homerism. Hey, I want them to win too, but I'm not gonna basically lie about how good they are.

Until it is time to pay them. Then we think they should give us a huge discount and play at risk.

Here, I don't see much blind homerism. Often, just quite the opposite to where I am almost convinced that some of our "fans" are just haters claiming to be Redskin fans. Of course, I really think the abundant anti-Redskin rants put on by fans goes back to the promise of 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012 and 2015 all going off the rails. Blind homerism has really only "paid off" for us Redskins fans in the off-season of 2015. Hard to stay even realistic about the future when being pessimistic has so often led to predicting the future.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It can work both ways and extremes.

Fans can prematurely get unfairly cruel in their criticism of their own players, i.e. considering Doctson a bust, etc.

THIS.

Also, some fans really do just want to watch the world burn. They are more comfortable in misery and defeat.

Or, they can be so afraid to believe or put faith into things. They would rather protect delicate emotions by expecting the worst. That way, maybe when the team fails, they can handle it better.. and worse, pound their chest with pride about predicting it. 

35 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

THIS.

Also, some fans really do just want to watch the world burn. They are more comfortable in misery and defeat.

Or, they can be so afraid to believe or put faith into things. They would rather protect delicate emotions by expecting the worst. That way, maybe when the team fails, they can handle it better.. and worse, pound their chest with pride about predicting it. 

Do you really believe that pile

of doo doo you just typed?

Believe it or not, fans can evolve over time.  I think most all of us that hold a cynical view of the past 20 years once believed in whatever was sold to us.  I know I did.  But over time, you look deeper into what’s really going on and compare it to what’s taking place elsewhere.  Enlightened so to speak.  I don’t think hoping for the best and expecting the worst is some psychological crutch.  I don’t think anyone feels vindication when things go  bad because we were ‘right’.  I do however think the optimistic homer types hate the cynical types because we usually end up right.

ESPN says CT won't be fully healed till Nov.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41025665-4

CT says this is the toughest injury he's every had to deal with. I mean after dealing with a spinal injury and torn knee I didn't realize this leg injury would be the scariest for him. I'm not sure what to think about it now..After hearing this I don't know if I wanna see him in the preseason..

58 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

ESPN says CT won't be fully healed till Nov.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41025665-4

CT says this is the toughest injury he's every had to deal with. I mean after dealing with a spinal injury and torn knee I didn't realize this leg injury would be the scariest for him. I'm not sure what to think about it now..After hearing this I don't know if I wanna see him in the preseason..

I hope that we plan on giving our UDFA Martez Carter more reps. He's small and fast like CT. Finally heard someone ask Gruden at a recent press conference about Carter and he said that he has a lot of RBs in front of him, so his reps have been very limited. Dude looked like a BEAST in college. 

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Both guys are accurate. Take your koolaid goggles off.

Everyone knows our guys r bestest! :P

I so get sick of blind homerism. Hey, I want them to win too, but I'm not gonna basically lie about how good they are.

Man I don't know what to tell you, If you think Kirk was accurate, whatever, .....he was accurate to you. For me, the ball placement defied the stats. I played corner and safety albeit just in Jr. College, but I also coached a bunch, for me, his accuracy was Meh. Guys were constantly adjusting to the ball, too high, too low, too far behind, not in stride. I think He could improve in those areas. 

I wanted to see Jay's offense with a different playcaller, I get my wish. ....Kirk got his wish, now the pressure is on, He has a great foundation, I wanna watch and see how he does with that. As for koolaid and goggles, whatever, I am going to root for the guy behind the center for my team. I like Alex, always have. I think the team is going in the right direction. If that is Koolaid, pour me another round, #HTTR

3 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

I think the point he's trying to make is that Smith is the "safer" qb, in that his accuracy is rarely to the other team's players instead of Kirk air mailing one right to the defender.

Statistically no more accurate, but accurate in the sense that he doesn't throw many int's. 

I'd say Smith throws a more accurate ball as far as placement, in that they're usually right on point and the receiver doesn't have to break stride, but I think that's a product of experience. 

Kirk has only been starting for 3 years, Smith 10+, I think that accounts for something.

Don't get me wrong, Kirk threw a nice ball often, but a bunch of times the receiver had to adjust to it. I think that's just experience and 10 years worth of NFL mechanics. 

Yes and not any more than that, don't get your Kirk panties in a wad. 

42 minutes ago, TK said:

He uses his eyes.

Image result for gif blind leading blind

23 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I hope that we plan on giving our UDFA Martez Carter more reps. He's small and fast like CT. Finally heard someone ask Gruden at a recent press conference about Carter and he said that he has a lot of RBs in front of him, so his reps have been very limited. Dude looked like a BEAST in college. 

I get the distinct impression that Carter is behind Bibbs and Marshall, and that only one of those 3 will make the team, making Carter a longshot.

But let's see how the preseason plays out.

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

THIS.

There might be a slight element to that but I truly think it’s because the franchise has screwed up enough times over the years that it’s correct that predicting the worst is almost like predicting the future. And that can manifest itself in perhaps being overly critical or negatively slanted about certain things or issues surrounding the team. 

I don’t think there are too many people out there looking to protect emotion or are comfortable in miserable and defeat.

As far as camp goes, it really does feel like to me there’s less individual positive puff pieces out there about Joe Schmo from Idaho tech with a chance to make the team or so and so is ready to break out or some huge piece about a FA signing and more team oriented positive pieces such as “wow this defensive line is going to be a handful.” Could just be my imagination though Lol. Just the vibe I got reading some camp articles.

Ball placement accuracy can be accounted for best in YAC Imo, Alex has consistently been very high with YAC’s if I recall (best in league last year?). The fact that he also has I think one of the lowest avg distance of throws from LOS on average (because he dishes to slot receiver and running backs a lot with designed plays, I don’t have all the stats perhaps someone can help out here.).

Combo the two and what you have is a guy who puts the ball in tight windows for people to catch in stride and run with, right?  Specifically, a guy who has excellent ball placement aka throwing accuracy?  I feel like completion percentage factors in but is not as accurate as far as who is a more “accurate” passer. 

He had great playmakers in KC to run the ball once in hands, but I’d be shocked if they even close to “matriculate” the ball next year the way they did last year.  A lot more drive killing broken plays headed their way.  

Another bit, Smith was one of the tops in the league in deep ball attempts and completions, right?  So maybe one could say he took more gambles than Cousins last year and still had the same completion percentage and the lowest int’s in the league?

Anyways, I love reading the forum, whoever approved me to join, I appreciate it! 

32 minutes ago, Mussrat said:

Ball placement accuracy can be accounted for best in YAC Imo, Alex has consistently been very high with YAC’s if I recall (best in league last year?). The fact that he also has I think one of the lowest avg distance of throws from LOS on average (because he dishes to slot receiver and running backs a lot with designed plays, I don’t have all the stats perhaps someone can help out here.).

Combo the two and what you have is a guy who puts the ball in tight windows for people to catch in stride and run with, right?  Specifically, a guy who has excellent ball placement aka throwing accuracy?  I feel like completion percentage factors in but is not as accurate as far as who is a more “accurate” passer. 

He had great playmakers in KC to run the ball once in hands, but I’d be shocked if they even close to “matriculate” the ball next year the way they did last year.  A lot more drive killing broken plays headed their way.  

Another bit, Smith was one of the tops in the league in deep ball attempts and completions, right?  So maybe one could say he took more gambles than Cousins last year and still had the same completion percentage and the lowest int’s in the league?

Anyways, I love reading the forum, whoever approved me to join, I appreciate it! 

Welcome! Nice first post. 

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Do you really believe that pile

of doo doo you just typed?

Believe it or not, fans can evolve over time.  I think most all of us that hold a cynical view of the past 20 years once believed in whatever was sold to us.  I know I did.  But over time, you look deeper into what’s really going on and compare it to what’s taking place elsewhere.  Enlightened so to speak.  I don’t think hoping for the best and expecting the worst is some psychological crutch.  I don’t think anyone feels vindication when things go  bad because we were ‘right’.  I do however think the optimistic homer types hate the cynical types because we usually end up right.

I have seen it, so yes, I sadly do believe it. Seems others have too, and are agreeing. 

The beginning of this season should spark some renewed hope in all Washington fans. Of course there are concerns. To have a strong season.. some things, like less injuries and young guys stepping up, have to occur. These things are obvious. The optimists see these things as possible.. not even unlikely.. and they should. 

I mean, look simply at your own username. It's fine to feel however you feel, but to want to come in here and spread that despair to others? Maybe even get contentious to those that don't share a bleak expectation? I don't know. I don't get that. If there's a big happy party to go to, and I think it will suck? I just stay home, and do something else. I don't go to the party anyway, and then talk about how the party will suck (not even present tense sucks.. future tense will suck) to the people there to enjoy themselves. 

18 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

This receiving core is going to be the death of us, I'm not going to beat up on JD for injuring his shoulder, it might be nothing but when I look at his and PRich's body frames they don't look like the types who will last 16 games. 

This.  I'm not sure I'll be interested in the excuses if this doesn't work.  With Alex age we don't have a lot of time to hope they figure it out.  I need to see these cats over the middle more to see what we working with, we give that role to crowder he gonna get broken up at some point.

19 minutes ago, Ashburn Dave said:

Thom Loverro might disagree with that one.

Touché, but Thom Loverro isn't a Redskins fan.

36 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I mean, look simply at your own username. It's fine to feel however you feel, but to want to come in here and spread that despair to others? Maybe even get contentious to those that don't share a bleak expectation? I don't know. I don't get that. If there's a big happy party to go to, and I think it will suck? I just stay home, and do something else. I don't go to the party anyway, and then talk about how the party will suck (not even present tense sucks.. future tense will suck) to the people there to enjoy themselves. 

Last I checked this was a forum to discuss Washington Redskins football, among other things. I was not aware that this was a party where everyone is supposed to high five, avoid reality and be positive for the sake of being positive.  I'd get your point if I was showing up to the Redskins Rally's with an "F Dan Snyder sign" screaming into a megaphone that this team is trash.  But many of us actually like to talk about the team and football in general, good or bad.  Like Morneblade said, perhaps in another thread, it is possible to be a fan and not lie to yourself about how great everything is.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Now to get back on topic in regards to training camp happenings, this whole Chris Thompson won't be fully healed until November business is what I expected, but it's still concerning.  Makes me wonder if perhaps he shouldn't just be put on the PUP, allowing room for a Bibbs or Marshall to take his place until he's fully ready to go.

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Touché, but Thom Loverro isn't a Redskins fan.

Last I checked this was a forum to discuss Washington Redskins football, among other things. I was not aware that this was a party where everyone is supposed to high five, avoid reality and be positive for the sake of being positive.  I'd get your point if I was showing up to the Redskins Rally's with an "F Dan Snyder sign" screaming into a megaphone that this team is trash.  But many of us actually like to talk about the team and football in general, good or bad.  Like Morneblade said, perhaps in another thread, it is possible to be a fan and not lie to yourself about how great everything is.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Now to get back on topic in regards to training camp happenings, this whole Chris Thompson won't be fully healed until November business is what I expected, but it's still concerning.  Makes me wonder if perhaps he shouldn't just be put on the PUP, allowing room for a Bibbs or Marshall to take his place until he's fully ready to go.

That is what I was thinking with Chris Thompson. If he isn't going to be healthy until November, then why are they trying to rush him back? 

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Most football players arent fully healthy anyway. Plus its not that he cant play or cut or anything, its mental. He still has some pain but he cant hurt himself more so its just a matter of mentally dealing with it and trusting it.

When he says he won't be healthy until November, the implication isn't that it is mental. The implication is that the injury hasn't fully healed or the muscles and tendons/ligaments are not back at full strength, which is the same as not being fully healed. 

The team is saying he'll be ready for week 1, while he is saying he won't be healed until November. It is a confusing message, at the least. He's so valuable, I hope they do what is right for him and the team long-term. 

Just now, Bantu said:

When he says he won't be healthy until November, the implication isn't that it is mental. The implication is that the injury hasn't fully healed or the muscles and tendons/ligaments are not back at full strength, which is the same as not being fully healed. 

The team is saying he'll be ready for week 1, while he is saying he won't be healed until November. It is a confusing message, at the least. He's so valuable, I hope they do what is right for him and the team long-term. 

Actually he has said exactly that in an interview.

Ya that's not good news on Thompson..it makes sense tho about it taking time to heal from..I mean we are talking about a broken legg and all..I'm not a scientist or a doctor but I imagine it takes a long time to heal and for a player to get used to using that legg again properly..I agree with putting him on pup..

Archived