Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread


thesubmittedone

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Especially when intoxicated..and when ever I feel like it...when I'm at home mainly lol...buuut I'll pull over any where whip it out and piss..who am I kidding it's not long enough to whip out haha 

 

Well when in Idaho.....lol 

 

In case you missed it and needed some reading material while sitting down and peeing....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Guys sit in camp all the time. Antonio Brown has missed practices too.

AB doesn't/didn't have injury problems during his career either if I'm not mistaken.

Also, people are panicking because of Malcolm Kelly, Gardner, Devin Thomas, etc... Just seems like none of our own "monster" type receivers ever pan out... I think Crowder has been our best drafted receiver since Westbrook.

Coles, Moss, Randle El, Garcon, Jackson... Those aren't homegrown. We need to start seeing our own receivers produce. It's been too long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

AB doesn't/didn't have injury problems during his career either if I'm not mistaken.

Also, people are panicking because of Malcolm Kelly, Gardner, Devin Thomas, etc... Just seems like none of our own "monster" type receivers ever pan out... I think Crowder has been our best drafted receiver since Westbrook.

Coles, Moss, Randle El, Garcon, Jackson... Those aren't homegrown. We need to start seeing our own receivers produce. It's been too long.

 

Good post...Crowder has easily been the best WR we've drafted, probably since McCardell (who did all his damage with another team). Westbrook really only had one very good year (1999). Outside of that, his best year for receptions was in the 60s and his best year for yards was 700ish. Crowder already has two seasons that exceed that (granted he hasn't had a 1999-type year yet - but that took Westbrook 4-5 years AND he was the team's #1 outside WR). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

Good post...Crowder has easily been the best WR we've drafted, probably since McCardell (who did all his damage with another team). Westbrook really only had one very good year (1999). Outside of that, his best year for receptions was in the 60s and his best year for yards was 700ish. Crowder already has two seasons that exceed that (granted he hasn't had a 1999-type year yet - but that took Westbrook 4-5 years AND he was the team's #1 outside WR). 

 

During the lead up to this year's draft, there were discussions in articles, social media, etc. highlighting just how unlucky teams have been with drafting WRs. Not just in round 1, but throughout the draft. The hit rates on these prospects haven't been good, for the most part, in this decade. I believe the Redskins are particularly exemplary of this, and I've adopted the mindset that the team should use free agency and trades as the primary means to acquire pass catching talent, and only use 3rd round or later to supplement depth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bantu said:

 

During the lead up to this year's draft, there were discussions in articles, social media, etc. highlighting just how unlucky teams have been with drafting WRs. Not just in round 1, but throughout the draft. The hit rates on these prospects haven't been good, for the most part, in this decade. I believe the Redskins are particularly exemplary of this, and I've adopted the mindset that the team should use free agency and trades as the primary means to acquire pass catching talent, and only use 3rd round or later to supplement depth. 

 

I don't disagree with you...I'm also of the mindset that, outside of maybe 4-5 game-changers, the fat guys improve the fast guys exponentially. So, if we have great OL and DL play, our WRs and DBs don't have to be studs. They'll either have time to get open or won't need to cover as long. 

 

It's for that reason that I'm always hesitant to draft a skill guy in the first couple rounds unless you know he's going to be Megatron or ODB. I would take defensive front-7 or OL in the first couple rounds almost exclusively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

I don't disagree with you...I'm also of the mindset that, outside of maybe 4-5 game-changers, the fat guys improve the fast guys exponentially. So, if we have great OL and DL play, our WRs and DBs don't have to be studs. They'll either have time to get open or won't need to cover as long. 

 

It's for that reason that I'm always hesitant to draft a skill guy in the first couple rounds unless you know he's going to be Megatron or ODB. I would take defensive front-7 or OL in the first couple rounds almost exclusively. 

 

I've always been a BPA absolutist when it comes to the draft, but different trends have to be paid attention to. Drafting RBs early was passe for awhile until actual players changed that narrative. The same might have to be said for WRs coming into the league. As someone who doesn't watch college football super closely, my untrained mind has a hard time trying to figure out how pass-happy college offenses don't produce better receivers. 

 

If the hype about Trey Quinn is legit, Crowder produces per usual, and Docston continues to be a disappointment then my mindset will be further set on staying away from pass catchers early in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how many of you watched the game last night but if that was any hint as to how secondary penalties will be called this year this will be the most miserable season of football I have ever watched.

 

Curious as to what others think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Not sure how many of you watched the game last night but if that was any hint as to how secondary penalties will be called this year this will be the most miserable season of football I have ever watched.

 

Curious as to what others think.

 


I'm trying to convince myself to be patient with this, as the refs are going to be trigger happy with a new rule, and things should level themselves out a bit.  

 

I am worried like you are.  It did not look good.  There were 2 penalties that were called that were textbook tackles in the course of a football play.  You could clearly see that there was not malicious intent, and both players did exactly what they're taught to do.  I hope the NFL and the Refs brass can get together and look at last night.... tweeking the rule to prevent this from killing the league.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Not sure how many of you watched the game last night but if that was any hint as to how secondary penalties will be called this year this will be the most miserable season of football I have ever watched.

 

Curious as to what others think.

 

Agree completely. I think 3 out of the 4 flags thrown were the most atrocious "panalties" I've ever seen. Fans and players are going to riot if the regular season gets officiated the same way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

I don't disagree with you...I'm also of the mindset that, outside of maybe 4-5 game-changers, the fat guys improve the fast guys exponentially. So, if we have great OL and DL play, our WRs and DBs don't have to be studs. They'll either have time to get open or won't need to cover as long. 

 

It's for that reason that I'm always hesitant to draft a skill guy in the first couple rounds unless you know he's going to be Megatron or ODB. I would take defensive front-7 or OL in the first couple rounds almost exclusively. 

 

I also think that goes to the QB as well. I mean it is the one thing that Scot professed that made me have faith in him. Getchu some Fat Boys, football players. If you do have a stud RB, WR or your DB, how good are they going to look with crappy blocking. It's really hard to fathom that Snyder grew up a Skins fans and the lessons of the HOGS escaped him. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

 

I also think that goes to the QB as well.

 

 

Yes - I can't believe I left that out. 

 

To me, it's not shocking that New England scores points with a new supporting cast every couple of years. Manning did the same thing. He had talent, but who's to say if Reggie Wayne was incredible or Manning made him great? Pittsburgh finds WR stars seemingly every year. Brown is undeniably talented, but the #2 in Pittsburgh basically keeps producing no matter who it is. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Players will just have to adjust regarding the new rule. I think the rule is a positive change. There is no reason to lower your head. Keep your head up, eye to eye, wrap up chest to chest and bring the guy down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dyst said:

Players will just have to adjust regarding the new rule. I think the rule is a positive change. There is no reason to lower your head. Keep your head up, eye to eye, wrap up chest to chest and bring the guy down.

 

 

Thats the problem... if you wrap up chest to chest, the defender will either get called for going head first, or will have to stand straight up and down and get bowled over, hoping to bring the ball carrier down in the process. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ball is up... goes off receivers hands causing his ribcage to be exposed.  Defender puts shoulder pad into ribcage... no helmet to helmet... textbook tackle... he gets penalized 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Ball is up... goes off receivers hands causing his ribcage to be exposed.  Defender puts shoulder pad into ribcage... no helmet to helmet... textbook tackle... he gets penalized 

It's no longer helmet to helmet. If you lower your head, which I guess (?) he does slightly, then they will call a penalty. I think this will take some time for the league to adjust too. They will get calls wrong in the meantime, while the players learn how to play within the system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dyst said:

It's no longer helmet to helmet. If you lower your head, which I guess (?) he does slightly, then they will call a penalty. I think this will take some time for the league to adjust too. They will get calls wrong in the meantime, while the players learn how to play within the system.

 

 

I dont dispute that at all... but he didnt lead with his helmet... the first point of contact was his shoulder.  Theres literally no way to run without your head being in front of you unless you're Forrest Gump.  The point of this rule is to make the game safer... but having guys forced to launch themselves perpendicular to the ground and essentially attempt to closeline them isn't exactly the best way to portray that.  Allowing a would be tackler to put the crest of his helmet where it meets the facesmask into a ball carrier is safest for both.  A 225 LB meeting a 225 RB int he hole and both attempting to have their heads off to the side, or make contact without their facemask pointed down is as dangerous as it gets.  The pendulum is going to swing to more defenders getting concussions, or having serious neck injuries if you don't allow them to carry any level of momentum into the point of contact.

 

I gather from youre (?) that you are apprehensive yourself about the rule yourself so I'm not exactly trying to come at you saying you're making an argument.  Your comment is 100% true that players need to play within the system, but this is just another piece of the puzzle that will destroy football, because kids will no longer play defense growing up, so the talent pool will dwindle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...