Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

17 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

I think the point he's trying to make is that Smith is the "safer" qb, in that his accuracy is rarely to the other team's players instead of Kirk air mailing one right to the defender.

Statistically no more accurate, but accurate in the sense that he doesn't throw many int's. 

I'd say Smith throws a more accurate ball as far as placement, in that they're usually right on point and the receiver doesn't have to break stride, but I think that's a product of experience. 

Kirk has only been starting for 3 years, Smith 10+, I think that accounts for something.

Don't get me wrong, Kirk threw a nice ball often, but a bunch of times the receiver had to adjust to it. I think that's just experience and 10 years worth of NFL mechanics. 

No, I think he's being a pretty typical anit-Kirk guy. Make up a false reason to say Smith is better.

You mean 'safe". He also does not throw as many TD's or push the ball downfield as much. I also disagree with your assessment about ball placement. Kirk is quite accurate. Smith is pretty accurate as well. I was even kind and didn't factor smiths years in San Fran, where his accuracy was worse. It's a false narrative to try and support a false claim. and yeah, I'm tired of it. Alex is a good, if not great QB. He should do well here, especially if the running game and D turn out as good as we think they might be. And he by all accounts  is a really good dude. All in all, not a bad person to hitch the bandwagon up to. Taking false potshots at the previous guy just make the person doing so look sad. Alex doesn't need that, he's got enough on his side that he doesn't need it.

Both are accurate. Cousins takes more chances, and there are benefits and drawbacks to that. Maybe he took more chances because he felt he had too, since we sure couldn't run the ball into the end zone. Maybe he'll be safer in Minny. Maybe not. But he doesn't play here anymore, so who cares?

I wish there were some video clips of that sick catch Mo Harris made. Would love to see how he's looking in real time. 

Also would love to see all of the great stuff Doctson was able to do before the shoulder stinger. 

(BTW, really glad to hear that it's not a big deal)

13 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I wish there were some video clips of that sick catch Mo Harris made. Would love to see how he's looking in real time. 

Also would love to see all of the great stuff Doctson was able to do before the shoulder stinger. 

(BTW, really glad to hear that it's not a big deal)

That'd be nice to see, but as we know from last training camp, sick grabs by guys such as Terrelle Pryor don't actually mean anything for regular season success.

12 hours ago, Mussrat said:

Ball placement accuracy can be accounted for best in YAC Imo, Alex has consistently been very high with YAC’s if I recall (best in league last year?). The fact that he also has I think one of the lowest avg distance of throws from LOS on average (because he dishes to slot receiver and running backs a lot with designed plays, I don’t have all the stats perhaps someone can help out here.).

Combo the two and what you have is a guy who puts the ball in tight windows for people to catch in stride and run with, right?  Specifically, a guy who has excellent ball placement aka throwing accuracy?  I feel like completion percentage factors in but is not as accurate as far as who is a more “accurate” passer. 

He had great playmakers in KC to run the ball once in hands, but I’d be shocked if they even close to “matriculate” the ball next year the way they did last year.  A lot more drive killing broken plays headed their way.  

Another bit, Smith was one of the tops in the league in deep ball attempts and completions, right?  So maybe one could say he took more gambles than Cousins last year and still had the same completion percentage and the lowest int’s in the league?

Anyways, I love reading the forum, whoever approved me to join, I appreciate it! 

Quite a bit of this is not really accurate. First, have a low average distance in throws does not mean you put the ball into tight windows. In fact, it means you're not taking chances by going downfield. You're throwing to guys 5 yards away, which is a much easier throw than 10-15 yards downfield. It's actually the antithesis of what you're trying to say. It's easier to lead a guy when he's 5 yards away than 25 yards away.

Reid's system is very QB friendly, even to a guy like Donovan McNabb, who was not that accurate of a passer. It still made him look good. Mahones will do just fine, I think. In fact, I would expect to see him do some things better than Smith

Smith did do well last year in deep balls last year. And it was the first year in a rather long career that he has had, and the previous years he's been near the bottom of the league. In fact, last year was the first time he did a lot of things well. So I'm not going to just expect that everything will be like 2017 here on out. 13 years of "meh" means something. Terrelle Pryor had a 1000 yard receiving year with the Browns 2 years ago. Look where that got us. I'll also note, that almost every single one of those long balls went to Tyreek Hill. We don't have that guy.

One thing that Alex has done very well over his career is being careful with the ball. He does not turn the ball over much, he never has. If we can have a improved running game, and a improved Defense, that should be a bit quite a help. And Alex being accurate and not turning the ball over helps a team with a good D and running game.

40 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No, I think he's being a pretty typical anit-Kirk guy. Make up a false reason to say Smith is better.

So you are basically saying I am lying about how I feel about Kirk to promote Alex Smith because you know, I'm a homer who only thinks the Redskins have the bestest. That's wrong. Don't try and paint me into a corner man, just don't, it's not cool and I wouldn't do it to you. 

It is well documented how I felt about Jay ad nausea. That changed over the course of last year with injuries piling up, and Jay making comments about Kirk not wanting to practice contested balls to WR and therefore didn't throw them in games.

I like Kirk, He wasn't worth the cake He wanted, and I have always questioned his accuracy issues regarding timing. You can find my quotes if you so wish,,,they went like this generally.... Kirk throws the wrong ball to the WR's, High to Crowder, low and behind Doctson. He did it a lot. I didn't like it. Doesn't mean I didn't like him or rooted against him, no.

Anti-Kirkers? I mean what the **** kind of narrative is that anyway, they got meetings? Pitch forks and brooms to tar and light on fire? LOL, I mean really **** Kirk cousins, He didn't want be here. 

I like what I am hearing out of camp from not only the media but the players as well. And boy I ain't apologizing for feeling good about the Team at this time, I am sick of the negative takes and right now the vibe feels good, with Guice and Alex leading the way. 

23 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Quite a bit of this is not really accurate. First, have a low average distance in throws does not mean you put the ball into tight windows. In fact, it means you're not taking chances by going downfield. You're throwing to guys 5 yards away, which is a much easier throw than 10-15 yards downfield. It's actually the antithesis of what you're trying to say. It's easier to lead a guy when he's 5 yards away than 25 yards away.

I think what @Mussrat was trying to articulate was that his ball placement lends itself to being able to throw the ball in tight windows and allow your receivers to gain more YAC. Not necessarily that he does it often. The low average distance I believe he was trying to say can be attributed to that Smith checks his team a good amount into designed check downs that he pre determines will be open. It would make sense because of his smarts but I don't have any knowledge on whether that is actually true or not. But that's what I gathered from his post.

Reid's system is very QB friendly.

Isn't Grudens?

13 years of "meh" means something.

Not an entirely accurate picture of his career. More like 3 years of BAD, followed by a career resurgence that featured a few meh years and then seen him trend upward since around 2011. He's been a pretty good QB since around that time. 2017 certainly sticks out as an outlier though.

One thing that Alex has done very well over his career is being careful with the ball. He does not turn the ball over much, he never has. If we can have a improved running game, and a improved Defense, that should be a bit quite a help. And Alex being accurate and not turning the ball over helps a team with a good D and running game.

Agreed here.

The responses are what I thought they'd be, The Anti-Kirks have started protesting and lighting **** on fire, The Pro-Alex mob has met stiff resistance but seems to be gaining momentum raising money on street corners in a helmet collection. 

In two minutes I had four respected posters agree that He indeed threw those type of balls with the bonus of  trying to get guys killed. 

NFL Network is in Richmond today, covering the Redskins camp.

They talked to Trent Williams a while ago. Didn't hear it as my volume was turned down, but geez, he is a mountain of a man. The two guys sitting next to him looked like little kids beside Trent.

2 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

NFL Network is in Richmond today, covering the Redskins camp.

They talked to Trent Williams a while ago. Didn't hear it as my volume was turned down, but geez, he is a mountain of a man. The two guys sitting next to him looked like little kids beside Trent.

The picture of Chris Thompson walking with Trent, Mosses and one other is hilarious, looks like they could eat him. lol

4 hours ago, Bantu said:

That is what I was thinking with Chris Thompson. If he isn't going to be healthy until November, then why are they trying to rush him back? 

I heard both interviews so not sure where that article came up with November, Chris said there is still some pain when you apply pressure to the area and he's not 100%.

Jay was asked about it yesterday and he responded that there's no such thing as 100% in the NFL and he went on to say Chris looks faster than he did before the injury.

I haven't heard Chris say he wasn't ready, just that he wanted to ease his way into things.

I doubt the team would rush him back knowing his injury history.

CT Injury List since 2011

2 broken vertebra in back

Torn ACL in left knee

Torn left labrum

Fractured fibula

22 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

The responses are what I thought they'd be, The Anti-Kirks have started protesting and lighting **** on fire, The Pro-Alex mob has met stiff resistance but seems to be gaining momentum raising money on street corners in a helmet collection. 

In two minutes I had four respected posters agree that He indeed threw those type of balls with the bonus of  trying to get guys killed. 

Its nauseating, Grant and Danny went on a 10-minute diatribe yesterday because people are being positive about Alex, it was so obvious they are taking it personally because they are still in love with Kirk, I find the whole thing weird.

I understand why we're talking about Kirk, but this Kirk-love vs. Kirk-hate thing irks me. Some of you have invested way too much energy into this and are seeing boogeymen where there aren't or are forcing the issue so that a compliment in Alex's favor must be viewed as an insult towards Kirk.

With all due respect, you're working too hard. Stop tilting at windmills. He's gone and he's not coming back.

9 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Its nauseating, Grant and Danny went on a 10-minute diatribe yesterday because people are being positive about Alex, it was so obvious they are taking it personally because they are still in love with Kirk, I find the whole thing weird.

I really like Grant and Danny, but it's also very clear that they understand how good they had it with Kirk as a weekly guest.   Everyone wanted to hear what Kirk had to say over the last 3 years with his contract and stuff.   They're smart business men, and they had a jewel that was a draw.  That's gone now and you can hear it in their broadcasting that there's a level of frustration and animosity.... It's the only real knock I have on them.  I honestly listen to them 100% of the time if I'm in the car while they're on.  

I wish they would STOP talking about Cousins, and stick to the point of the thread, which is supposed to be about training camp.

Take the Cousins talk to the 'Around the NFL' board, where it belongs.

Don't turn this thread into ANOTHER Kirk Cousins thread. :nono:

Archived