Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

i don't know what to think

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

So the guy gets you a championship and you decide to cheap out? Great!!!

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

If we weren't willing to pay him after a championship, that is a Redskins-level move and unacceptable.

generally speaking NHL coach's aren't overly valued...

Per ESPN http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23833973/barry-trotz-resigns-head-coach-washington-capitals

Barry Trotz, who lead the Washington Capitals to their first Stanley Cup, as resigned.

"After careful consideration and consultation with my family, I am officially announcing my resignation as Head Coach of the Washington Capitals," Trotz said in a statement Monday.

"When I came to Washington four years ago we had one goal in mind and that was to bring the Stanley Cup to the nation's capital. We had an incredible run this season culminating with our players and staff achieving our goal and sharing the excitement with our fans. I would like to thank Mr. Leonsis, Dick Patrick and Brian MacLellan for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this great organization. I would also like to thank our players and staff who worked tirelessly every day to achieve our success," Trotz said.

"We are obviously disappointed by Barry's decision, but would like to thank Barry for all his efforts the past four years and for helping bring the Stanley Cup to Washington," the team said in a statement . "Barry is a man of high character and integrity and we are grateful for his leadership and for all that he has done for our franchise."

The Capitals defeated the Vegas Golden Knights in five games to capture the franchises' first title since they were founded in 1974.

Trotz compiled a 205-89 record in four seasons with Washington. He spent his first 15 seasons as a head coach with the Nashville Predators and had a 557-479 record with them.

Trotz had begun discussions on a new contract with the Capitals following the teams' championship. His contract was set to expire at the end of the month.

Boo! This is an aging roster. It's only got a few years left. Should have let it ride and do everything to keep Trotz around. Give him a big time three year deal. After that, if you want when it's time to say good bye to Ovi and Backstrom and the old guard, bring the new guard in.

With his resignation, does that mean Trotz can't coach next year?

Elliote Friedman is reporting he is technically under contract for 2 more years, as his existing contract had an automatic 2 year extension for winning the Cup.  If he resigns, technically the Caps hold his rights. Friedman said they granted permission for Trotz to speak to other teams, but in theory I think they can demand compensation to let him go...

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Elliote Friedman is reporting he is technically under contract for 2 more years, as his existing contract had an automatic 2 year extension for winning the Cup.  If he resigns, technically the Caps hold his rights. Friedman said they granted permission for Trotz to speak to other teams, but in theory I think they can demand compensation to let him go...

They are talking about that now on 106.7.  Someone said that this is the case.  

Trotz was making like $1.5M, and top coaches make between $5M & $6.5M (Bab****).  Barry could have easily slid into the top tier of coaches salaries at $3.5M per.  Something seems off here.

28 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This was supposed to be a relatively drama free off-season for the Caps. Not sure this is the way to start off after winning the Cup

This is assuming that the Caps screwed up. Maybe Barry didn't want to come back. Maybe he wants to go into TV and have a less stressful life. Or maybe the team decided they want Rierdon long term. Or maybe Ted said he wasn't paying more than $2M per for a coach. It's all speculation at this point.

I mean, the team is going to have to start playing increasingly younger talent and win with that.  Maybe Barry “stick with your vets” Trotz isn’t the guy you want coaching that anyhow.  Who knows.

If it isn’t Adam Oates then I’m not worried.

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Trotz was making like $1.5M, and top coach make $6.5M (Bab****).  Barry cou;ld have easily become the 2nd highest paid coach in the league at $3.5M per.  Something seems off here.

This is assuming that the Caps screwed up. Maybe Barry didn't want to come back. Maybe he wants to go into TV and have a less stressful life. Or maybe the team decided they want Rierdon long term. Or maybe Ted said he wasn't paying more than $2M per for a coach. It's all speculation at this point.

Definitely all speculation. I really don’t know much of anything about Rierdon.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Definitely all speculation. I really don’t know much of anything about Rierdon.

Rierdon has been the defensive coach since Trotz has been here.  They promoted him to associate HC and prevented him from interviewing last offseason.  He was going to be a HC next year, either here r elsewhere.  Kempney, Carlson, Niskanen, Orpik, and Orlov all love him, and Kempney said he was the one that gave him a list of what to work on during the offseason in order to improve his game next year.  Orlov says Rierdon is the one most responsible for his improvement on defense.

OK, so now all the sites are picking up the 2 year extension.  Trotz also had incentives that pushed his contract past $2M for this year, and the 2 year extension included a raise.  If the Caps drew a line in the sand at a certain number, I'm OK with that. Bab**** making $6.5M is ridiculous, as is Julien at $6M.

Archived