Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I just don't see how this could be a money issue.  I mean think about how much extra money Ted just made off of this Stanley Cup run.  The extra million(s) that Trotz wanted would be a drop in the bucket in all of the money that was made.  Does he not want to set a precedent for paying coaches?  Just doesn't make sense.  I hope more info comes out.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I heard second hand that Trotz told one of the coaches in one of the handshake lines that he was hanging it up.  Didn’t think much of it, but it makes sense now.

That was lip reading after Game 7 vs. Tampa. Who knows.

Either way, this is disappointing BUT it's certainly not some death blow to chances of a title repeat. I'm guessing Riordan gets promoted and they keep things simple.

3 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Either way, this is disappointing BUT it's certainly not some death blow to chances of a title repeat. I'm guessing Riordan gets promoted and they keep things simple.

I hope so.

Couldn't this be a personal decision? I don't know why everyone is just jumping to the conclusion that either Trotz or Leonsis is drawing a line over a relatively small amount of money. 

What's more likely is that Trotz is burnt out, prioritizing life/family over hockey, and had an opportunity to go out a winner and area folk hero. 

Trotz is a class act all the way and I wish him the best.  That being said, I am completely fine with the Caps doing the 2 things that likely contributed to him leaving - not extending him before last season, and not paying him upwards of $5 - $6 million on par with the highest salaried coaches.

He played a huge part in winning us the Cup.  He also was on the verge of being fired 6 months ago, and nobody on here would have cried at the time if he did.  I also feel like we left 3 Stanley Cups on the table from 2015 - 2017, and while there was plenty of blame to go around, Barry was the head coach those 3 seasons.

I like what I hear about Rierden, and I think we'll be fine. 

As many suspect this move might have been done to bring Reirden up, maybe Trotz was tired of having to look over his shoulder all the time. There has been rampant speculation that the Caps FO loves Reirden so hopefully he is promoted and we will see how the team responds. From all accounts the players love Reirden too and don't expect any sort of dropoff. 

Reirden may not be experienced, but neither was MacClellan. I'm amazed how similar the stories are. Reirden served as an assistant for 4 years to Trotz, Mac several decades to GMGM. When McPhee was canned, the team chose to go in a similar direction by promoting within, to the chagrin of many on these message boards who said it would be the "same old same old". 

The bottom line is this. This is a championship organization, like it or not. They have brilliant scouts that infuse the team with young talent, a great FO that gets the pieces necessary to win a title, and a benevolent owner who largely stays out of the way and lets the hockey people do their jobs. Losing Barry Trotz hurts, I'm not going to deny that. I was never one that was eager to show him the door, unlike many other Caps fans. However, I will say this. If they do decide to promote Reirden, I will trust their judgment. This club is filled with championship-minded individuals now, and I honestly believe we should give Reirden a chance. He was going to get the job sooner, or later. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The Caps arent the Skins. I trust McLellan. He hired Trotz to begin with. 

I think Trotz was hired before MacLellan. I kept hearing about how MacLellan wanted to get his own guy in for the first time, throughout this season. 

They hired Trotz without a GM, and then promoted MacLellan a few days later. 

Edit: they were hired / promoted on the same day

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I thought it was Columbus where he said something to Tortarella about how he was gone after this post-season (of course, that was well before that thing where we won the cup).

There had been rumors about Trotz not being content with the coaching structure, so I suspect that probably comes into play here more than money.

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

I thought it was Columbus where he said something to Tortarella about how he was gone after this post-season (of course, that was well before that thing where we won the cup).

There had been rumors about Trotz not being content with the coaching structure, so I suspect that probably comes into play here more than money.

Thats who it was, Tortarella.  Sounds viable.

The presser is live on CBS 9 right now, pretty much resigned because of money. 1.5 m as compared to 5 m is a huge gap. 

TBH wouldn't blame him for wanting market value. This America. If I earn x and I find out my peers are making y, at the same company, why wouldn't I talk to my boss and at least entertain the thought? 

Okay, from what Isabelle and other Caps writers are saying, Barry wanted a longer term deal, and that would have made Reirden's tenure obsolete. HE would have been stuck as an assistant coach unless he left, and the Caps obviously tried to prevent him from doing that for years. Barry was looking at about a 5 year coaching extension...again that leaves little leeway for Reirden. And a firing would have cost the Caps a ton. 

I don't blame Barry for seeking job security after this year when everyone kept talking about how he would be fired. Maybe the Caps wanted a shorter term contract? The way that this plays out just seems like typical front office politics. And either way, I see the Caps winning out in the end. Barry leaves, they hire their assistant to take his place. 

MacClellan made a lot of comments about how the game is changing and they are looking for someone that plays young talent more. Trotz was criticized by fans for not playing young talent enough. If MacClellan can find a coach (Reirden?) willing to play young talent then I honestly believe the team is going in a positive direction. Trotz made his reputation in the playoffs as a champion by playing younger talent like Vrana, Djoos and even Walker and Chiasson more. 

Sucks as I would have liked to see him along for the back to back attempt. Oh well, he was part of the championship team and is legendary status. I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do and if it was about money and years then that's really too bad.

I have to agree with the caps, a 5 year deal is to much in this case.  This is an aging roster who's window is closing, no need to pay a premium to a championship coach for 5 years when you window isn't likely that large. Plus you lose the up and comer who you think is the future.  Im fine with this, not what I wanted by any means, but im ok with the caps choice.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Ted probably made like $100+ million extra due to the SC run and he wouldn't pay him $5 mil a year?  There has to be more to it than this.

5 mil a year is fine. 5 mil a year for 5 years, nullifying Reirden's career and threatening to lose him to another team? That's not fine. 

It's about money and the contract length. If Trotz agreed to a 2 or 3 year extension maybe we don't have this talk, because he'd still be coach. The thing is this came down to Trotz seeking job security. The CAps didn't want to offer that because they thought highly of Reirden. So they parted ways. No bad blood, no animosity. It's business. 

Just now, Mournblade said:

I'm a little concerned where Trotz ends up. I hope it isnt in the Met or East generally.

There is only one opening right now. Islanders need a coach. 

Who knows if he wants to go there though. He could look for other opportunities and sit this year out. It was like Joe Girardi. Everyone was looking for him to manage their team and he was like "I'll sit this year out." 

Yeah, I think Leonsis would have gone 5 per year for 2 years easily, maybe even higher per year dollars.  But 5 years means that Reirden is gone and that has been the succession plan all along.  Right or wrong, they weren't willing to lose Reirden.  And to me, that's better than the organization saying that they don't want to pay Trotz.

Archived