Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

59 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

It's kind of strange to me that in a sport with player careers as long as they are in hockey, that coach contracts and tenures are so short.

Like 9 years in the NFL is indeed a long time.  Almost certainly less than 10% of the team lasts that long, and generally it's maybe 1 or 2 players, usually with 1 being the QB.

In the NHL, guys play into their late 30's consistently and core groups of guys will sometimes stick together for a decade.  Ovi and Backstrom obviously come to mind.

That being said, it's also not unreasonable that if that's the culture, that's the culture.

Yeah, thats the culture.  In the NHL, its easier to change coaches, then it is to change players.   Of course this is true for all sports, but what makes the NHL different is that players can gel with a new coach much more quickly than in the NFL.  Which is why you see this midseason firing championship teams you don't see anywhere else as far as I know.  

He basically got exactly what he asked for. He signed a contract with the meager salary kicker if he won the Cup. So that's on him. Then they actually won and he's like "This is unacceptable. I should be paid commensurate with the top coaches immediately." 

Or was his plan to agree to unfavorable terms just to secure the gig, then quit and go into coaching free agency if he ever actually did win?

3 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

5 years is unheard of. Joel Quennville won 3 Cups in Chicago and only got 3 years!!! Toronto and Montreal are exceptions, because hockey is everything there. It is unrealistic to expect a market like DC to pay $5M per for 5 years.  Maybe if the Caps were coming off winning 2 in a row...

Popeman, you follow the Caps a lot more closely than I do. Yes, I know we're not an original six team or anything, but throughout this Cup run all we hear is how passionate the Caps fanbase is and for the past decade how Verizon/Capital One has been packed even with Ted raising ticket prices pretty much every year, and now "its unrealistic to expect a market like DC to pay $25M over 5 years?" 

Just seems like a disconnect. Even though the tenures of hockey coaches is short, is there a rule that says that has to be the case?  Also, Sheehan on 980 brought up another good point that Scott Brooks is getting paid $7 million per season by Ted. Yes, the economics of the NBA are different, but still.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Popeman, you follow the Caps a lot more closely than I do. Yes, I know we're not an original six team or anything, but throughout this Cup run all we hear is how passionate the Caps fanbase is and for the past decade how Verizon/Capital One has been packed even with Ted raising ticket prices pretty much every year, and now "its unrealistic to expect a market like DC to pay $25M over 5 years?" 

Just seems like a disconnect. Even though the tenures of hockey coaches is short, is there a rule that says that has to be the case?  Also, Sheehan on 980 brought up another good point that Scott Brooks is getting paid $7 million per season by Ted. Yes, the economics of the NBA are different, but still.

The NHL revenue stream is much smaller than the NBA. NBA national TV rights is $24B over 9 years ($2.7B/year), while the NHL national TV rights are $2B over 10 years (U.S.) and $5.2B over 12 years (Canada), totaling $633.33M/year.  So $7M/year in the NBA is about equivalent $1.75M/year in the NHL.  The salary cap in the NHL for next year will be $78-82M, while the NBA salary cap will be $101M with a luxury tax threshold of $123M.  zero wiggle room in the NHL, while the NBA has $22M in wiggle room.  NHL roster size is 23, while the NBA is 13.

NBA $$ are about 4 times the value of NHL $$.

NHL player salaries are insanely low compared to other sports. Ovie makes like $10 Mil a year. Yes that's a lot for us average folk, but $10 Mil barely gets you an average QB in the NFL. There are bench players making that much in the NBA.

Ian Mahimi makes more than Alex Ovechkin. Let that sink in for a second.

Their players union got hosed in the last lockout.

20 hours ago, Forehead said:

Well, I'll definitely miss the bouncing eyebrow thing, if nothing else.

As others have said, the guy coached the team that ended D.C.'s title drought.  I'll never say a bad word about him.

Especially the skate to get em fired up! I truly believe it helped our mojo. ?

Not buying that chart one bit. The NBA makes $2.7B in national TV money, while the NHL brings in $633.33M in National TV money.  Add in the local deals for the NBA are worth quite a bit more than local NHL deals ($200M/year for the Lakers vs $20M/year for the Kings), and it becomes quite clear the NBA is much more valuable than the NHL. Salary cap of $101-123M for 13 players versus a $78-82M cap for 23 players. Numbers don't lie.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Not buying that chart one bit. The NBA makes $2.7B in national TV money, while the NHL brings in $633.33M in National TV money.  Add in the local deals for the NBA are worth quite a bit more than local NHL deals ($200M/year for the Lakers vs $20M/year for the Kings), and it becomes quite clear the NBA is much more valuable than the NHL. Salary cap of $101-123M for 13 players versus a $78-82M cap for 23 players. Numbers don't lie.

Based on the salary cap, numbers seem roughly correct.   3.7B/4.8B = 77%.  While 80/110 (salary cap) = 72%.  Each of them get ~50% of league wide revenue.  # of players on the roster of isn't relevant.   

I don't know why the total league revenue doesn't match the huge difference in TV income.  Maybe the NHL has a higher gate revenue.

4 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

image.png.da31f1c7053c5c1d802f37eb1baef3ce.png

2 hours ago, SkinsFanRob said:

Boston. 

The pens end the very next day. Thanks NHL. We had to watch them raise their banner you coulda returned the favor

LOL I initially heard it was Boston, then on my drive home like 2 hours later I heard that the following day they go to Pittsburg for the Penguins home opener and literally yelled in my car "WHAT THE ****??  THAT'S SOME BULL****!!"

27 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOL I initially heard it was Boston, then on my drive home like 2 hours later I heard that the following day they go to Pittsburg for the Penguins home opener and literally yelled in my car "WHAT THE ****??  THAT'S SOME BULL****!!"

You're not alone with the yelling. 

They were all over our SC win on sports talk radio here in ATL, I've let them know I appreciated it. But I've also come close to running my car off the road with their version of NFL updates (because they're NOT on ES, they're behind on our news ?) so....

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Dammit!! Just got an email from NHL.com that my order will be delayed...

until AUGUST ****ing 23rd????  WTF?

Was supposed to be here Friday. Oh No. PJ gonna whoop some ass on the phone. 

Another 2 weeks? Ok. 2 months??? Uh, NO!

What was the order?

Archived