Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Guy said he'd write 25-page essay on why Orpik should be 1st-ballot Hall Of Famer if he scored in Game 2 of the finals.  So Orpik scored the GWG in Game 2 of the finals breaking a 220 game goal drought.  Guy follows through.  https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/20/redditor-writes-25-page-essay-on-why-brooks-orpik-should-be-a-first-ballot-hall-of-famer/

Orpik needed to atone for his brutal 2017 season where he pretty much single-handedly cost us the Pittsburgh series.

While he wasn't much of a factor in 2018, he wasn't a non-factor either, and certainly not a liability. But I can't shake the

bitterness of the 2017 season when I think of him. Not ready to sing his praises just yet. 

5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Just saw the game 5 post game interview from Jonathan Marchessault where he was asked what happened in the series. He said that he thought they took winning for granted as they were the better team on paper and just let the Caps out work them. Delusional.

After re-watching the playoffs on NHL Network, Vegas was the worst team we played. Columbus a close second.

Edit I meant "distant" second. I am tired.

Heard a cool story about Orpik and how after it seemed the players were playing to get Trotz fired on that road trip, he called a mandatory practice/meeting the morning they got back from the road trip. That practice was the catalyst that changed their season around. They were 10-11-1 at the time. 

4 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

After re-watching the playoffs on NHL Network, Vegas was the worst team we played. Columbus a close second.

Easily, I still feel we got lucky that was the team that came out of the West. They were there largely because Fleury was having the best post season by a goal keeper of all time up until the finals. We had top end talent they couldnt even pray to match. That Backstrom pass that he floated through the air across ice over 2 Vegas sticks landing right on Ovies tape, Vegas didn't have the skills to pull off stuff like that. They also didn't have the benefit of having teammates that have played together for years.

3 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

We had top end talent they couldnt even pray to match. That Backstrom pass that he floated through the air across ice over 2 Vegas sticks landing right in Ovies tape, Vegas didn't have the skills to pull off stuff like that.

That was a thing of beauty.

Good for Trotz.  I have no ill will, and really am not that upset that he left.  He will always have a place in my heart.

As for Marsha, he's a moron if he truly thinks that.  The Knights had ridiculous puck luck all series except game 4.  They were a minor league team compared to the others the Caps played.  It would have been a sweep if the refs hadnt ****ed up game 1.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Do you guys think the Caps should have ponied up and given Trotz what he got from NY?

I do. The guy just won a Stanley Cup for the team. That's a guy you ought to do everything reasonable to bring back. I would imagine that Ovi and Backstrom probably only have 2-3 high powered years left. You don't really want to waste that on a rebuild or getting a good coach up to speed.

Trotz clearly didn't want to ride into the sunset so this was purely a money play. 

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t know what he got yet.  Other than it’s 5 years, which for me, is a bit on the long side as far as coaches go.

Espn article says its worth double what he would have made annually on a shorter contract with the Caps.  Doesn't give dollar amount.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23864225/new-york-islanders-name-barry-trotz-new-head-coach

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Do you guys think the Caps should have ponied up and given Trotz what he got from NY?

No, and I don't even think "ponying up" money had much to do with it from the Caps end.  We have a coach-in-waiting (Todd Reirden) who would not have stuck around as an assistant for another 4 - 5 years.  5 more years of Barry may not have worked out - he basically lost the locker room just 7 months ago before the whole team turned it around.  Barry played a huge hand in winning us the Cup this year, but this team left Cups on the table the previous 3 seasons and one could argue that Trotz's roster decisions may have played at least a part in that.  He's a terrific coach and a great guy, but he's replaceable.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I do. The guy just won a Stanley Cup for the team. That's a guy you ought to do everything reasonable to bring back. I would imagine that Ovi and Backstrom probably only have 2-3 high powered years left. You don't really want to waste that on a rebuild or getting a good coach up to speed.

Trotz clearly didn't want to ride into the sunset so this was purely a money play. 

Agreed. Trotz was instrumental in us winning the Cup. It was his gameplan vs Pittsburgh and vs Tampa that allowed us to defeat to two significantly superior foes. 

On 6/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, pjfootballer said:

Dammit!! Just got an email from NHL.com that my order will be delayed...

until AUGUST ****ing 23rd????  WTF?

Was supposed to be here Friday. Oh No. PJ gonna whoop some ass on the phone. 

Another 2 weeks? Ok. 2 months??? Uh, NO!

Why didn't you buy it in person?

13 hours ago, Kurd Cudins said:

Edit I meant "distant" second. I am tired.

I would have to agree with you on this I didn't think it at the time because I was in awe of the incredible playoff run but hindsight being 20/20 as soon as the Capitals shut out Tampa in games 6 and 7 basically at that point the Cup was thiers the Vegas series was almost a formality to the point that maybe any team who would have gotten out of the East if not the Capitals would have probably dispatched them

Such as any team getting out of the East in 1998 would have lost to Detroit ,just so happened to be the Capitals again

On that note I remember the 1998 East banner raising so do the Capitals get to raise another East banner along with a Stanley Cup banner?

Someone start adding some rafters!

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

I live in South Carolina. Hate to break it to you, but there is no Caps gear here. 

BTW, got another email that said 2 of the items have shipped. DVD is delayed.

DVD isn't really delayed.  It never had a release date until a few days ago which is July 31st.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/18/alex-ovechkin-will-be-on-the-cover-of-the-capitals-stanley-cup-championship-dvd/

51 minutes ago, c slag said:

I would have to agree with you on this I didn't think it at the time because I was in awe of the incredible playoff run but hindsight being 20/20 as soon as the Capitals shut out Tampa in games 6 and 7 basically at that point the Cup was thiers the Vegas series was almost a formality to the point that maybe any team who would have gotten out of the East if not the Capitals would have probably dispatched them

Such as any team getting out of the East in 1998 would have lost to Detroit ,just so happened to be the Capitals again

On that note I remember the 1998 East banner raising so do the Capitals get to raise another East banner along with a Stanley Cup banner?

As was the case the last two years, Caps/Pens was essentially for the Stanley Cup. The Lightning are paper soft mental midgets and there was no way we were losing to a freaking expansion team based out of Las freaking Vegas.

So, imo, they should of paid Trotz if they wanted a real shot at repeating.. I dunno about the full 5 years/ 4 mil like he (rumored) got from NYI, but something in the 4 x 4 range would of probably got it done. Now we have to hope Reirdon can keep them focused.. At least we got a Cup out of it.. Would be really twisted if he'd of gotten us to the finals, then left.. That would of been even more Washington DC esque.. lol 

9 hours ago, c slag said:

3 banners- Division, Conference and Stanley Cup.

Archived