Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Kasich

I've said on numerous occasions that he was the best candidate on either side of the aisle. You're right though that he has no chance of winning. He's too Republican for the democrats and too uh... Republican I guess for the Manchurian voter base.

He would become my personal hero if he runs as a 3rd party candidate after getting knocked out in the primary just to save the country (and maybe the Republican Party but it's almost certainly too late for that).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I've said on numerous occasions that he was the best candidate on either side of the aisle. You're right though that he has no chance of winning. He's too Republican for the democrats and too uh... Republican I guess for the Manchurian voter base.

He would become my personal hero if he runs as a 3rd party candidate after getting knocked out in the primary just to save the country (and maybe the Republican Party but it's almost certainly too late for that).

The GOP can't be saved.  I know Kasich feels that voters will come around.  The GOP is gone.  An independent Kasich run in 2020 would be setting the stage for an alternative in 2022 and beyond; when the GOP collapses. Somewhere for people to go that don't subscribe to the Democrats agenda.

If you get SiriusXM, Kasich was on POTUS- Channel 124 this past weekend.  He was on for an hour on, Mark Preston's FullStop.  If you subscribe, you can go online and hear it on the Sirius website, onDemand section.

Edited by Rdskns2000

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You know Kasich didn't.

Trump wanted him as VP and was willing to let Kasich do all the work and Trump just be the front man.  Kasich was smart enough to resist those overtures from Trump's people. Kasich didn't even attend the GOP convention, which was in his own state.   He's been critical of Trump.

He's probably running in 2020; though if he does it as a Republican' he's fooling himself.  A third party run would be the way to go.  No, he won't win but it would provide a real alternative to the GOP other than the Dems and set the stage for something other than the GOP in the future.

Kasich reminds me of the Maverick ya'll loved so much....until it came time to vote for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twa said:

Kasich reminds me of the Maverick ya'll loved so much....until it came time to vote for him.

Nah. It was the unqualified redneck Barbie he was saddled with. That and someone who voted 90% rather than 99% of the time with his party is still 60+% stupid.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, twa said:

i know this is hard to follow, but people actually can make decisions based on information that becomes present, and don't necessarily always vote the same way like they have a ring in their nose (or a boss who will close down your awesome clandestine internet disinformation job if he loses.)
There is this thing known as a brain. it helps people from not being simply conditioned to pull the same exact lever all of their lives.

weird, I know.. but trust me, it does exist.

I was one of those people who always did like McCain..  but then he sold his soul, he accepted the ditzy bimbo they shoved on him, he started dancing to the tune of the radical crazy ass fringes and as a result became a person who did not deserve any respect, who showed himself to be just a puppet for his masters. 

And then the unthinkable happened. People like me thought about it, and decided to vote otherwise because of the problems his choices presented.

Well,,, unthinkable for some, anyway.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Voting for McCain is the only vote I regret. 

I was willing to overlook her, I knew she was dumb, but I was too slow to see what McCain had turned in to because he didn’t want a repeat of 2000. 

The biggest issue with McCain in McCain vs. Obama was it was clear that he didn't understand what was happening to the economy, and given what was happening to the economy, electing him would have been a disaster.  When you had people close to his campaign talking about it being a "mental recession" and us being a "nation of whiners" when he was heavily involved in the deregulation that gave us the recession, it looked bad for McCain.

(The funny thing here is 1998/99, McCain was right on the economy, but it wasn't clear he was right until after the election.  Against Obama, he was wrong on the economy and that became pretty clear well before the election, and it (rightfully) killed him.

And Palin didn't help at all.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

Voting for McCain is the only vote I regret. 

I was willing to overlook her, I knew she was dumb, but I was too slow to see what McCain had turned in to because he didn’t want a repeat of 2000. 

Would you have voted Obama or a 3rd?

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Would you have voted Obama or a 3rd?

Given what I know now? Obama

i had reservations about Obama’s experience. Strong reservations. He surprised me. Given how he did and the trump experiment we’re currently in, my reservations were silly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

Given what I know now? Obama

i had reservations about Obama’s experience. Strong reservations. He surprised me. Given how he did and the trump experiment we’re currently in, my reservations were silly. 

Interesting.

If I remember correctly, I was deployed and didn't vote.  I think Palain would have kept me from voting R.  Based on the campaign I may have been sold on Hope and Change.  But I don't think he lived up to that.  Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone 3rd party.  Of course that is with the knowledge that the person wouldn't win.

I don’t agree with all he did. 

Other than the disasterous ACA exchange websites, I don’t think he did anything malicious or had intentions too. He is clearly intelligent. I can respect him. 

Low bar, but I can’t say that about the other side right now. 

• Like 2

Considering how dire the world and US economy was looking at the end of 2008, I think Obama gets a pass on that alone.  

I also give him credit for using the political hammer he had in the beginning of his presidency to tackle health care first when the cynical move would have been to grant citizenship to all the illegal immigrants, thereby creating a huge new voting block for the dems. 

He may not have lived up to the hope that people had for him in 2008, but I'm not sure anyone could have.  

• Like 3

So I got a “you gotta hear this” about a far righter. 

Theres a dark web website releasing information the government doesn’t want us to know. It’s run by a guy with a “quantum clearance” which means he has access into all the agencies databases. Higher than the nsa. 

The iranian nukes have been moved to syria

the attacks in Syria were about the nukes, chemical weapons was a cover

something about the missing sub in argintina and the missiles it was carrying

clinton is in Austria on suicide watch because she knows the USA government is getting ready to arrest her

”where’s the proof chemical weapons were used in Syria? There is no proof!”

there was more but I cannot remember. 

Given how he described how he reads this site, I’m almost positive it’s not on the dark web. He’s using the term to mean non-mainstream, I don’t know many normal people who know how to go finding things on the darkweb.  So it doesn’t seem he got a single thing right in the conversation. 

This is guy has a prestigious position in society. He has a series of degrees including doctorate from well established and respectable universities. He is not stupid. He is an intelligent person. 

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I had no words. All I could think was: We are so ****ed. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

^^^  People like that make me just want to hurry up the coming WW3/Civil war/plague or whatever mother nature is planning to clean this mess up.

Re: Obama.  I felt like he over sold during the campaign.  I get all policians to this but I think he went far enough that I don't feel bad not voting for him.  Hope and Change I feel like just didn't happen.  And the big, and I don't know why this is so big to me, is closing Gitmo.  He talked and talked about it.  First day in office he went through a big dog and pony show signing an order to close it.  Guess what was still open 8 years later?  

Yeah there will always be that. I get that. 

I dont think think he was the liberal the gop made him out to be. As far as the sides go, he was close enough to moderate that I completely respected him. The truth is either party would do plenty I’d not like, so it’s about the bigger picture. 

He left the dems angry (to a degree) about he way he approached some issues. Any time both sides are mad you you’re probably doing something right. 

His economic policy in response to a disaster was correct, and flew in the face of a lot of pressure. He chose the right people to listen to. 

if the worst we do is people equivalent to him on each side alternating on and off we’d stay a strong nation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SalenaZito and Brad Todd wrote The Great Divide about Trump voters. Salena identified the Trump voters, long before there was a Trump.

Listened to an interview where not only why Trump has his voters, she said something scary. Trump isn't losing any support but she is seeing evidence that his support is growing. In areas that gave Trump the election, he's getting support from people who didn't vote for him. If that happens, Trump is certain to win again.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:24 PM, tshile said:

Given how he described how he reads this site, I’m almost positive it’s not on the dark web. He’s using the term to mean non-mainstream, I don’t know many normal people who know how to go finding things on the darkweb.  So it doesn’t seem he got a single thing right in the conversation. 

Hmmm...dark web eh? Sounds more like he was on a website designed with Angelfire.

I know what you mean about intelligent people getting sucked into this nonsense. Somewhere along the line we started believing that the counter voice was correct by virtue of being different. Sow in enough doubt about what passes as journalism and you have an intellectual person seeking truth in a place with no stops or accountability to insure accuracy or even basic truthfulness. 

On 5/9/2018 at 8:44 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

^^^  People like that make me just want to hurry up the coming WW3/Civil war/plague or whatever mother nature is planning to clean this mess up.

Re: Obama.  I felt like he over sold during the campaign.  I get all policians to this but I think he went far enough that I don't feel bad not voting for him.  Hope and Change I feel like just didn't happen.  And the big, and I don't know why this is so big to me, is closing Gitmo.  He talked and talked about it.  First day in office he went through a big dog and pony show signing an order to close it.  Guess what was still open 8 years later?  

Gitmo frustrated me too, but when I heard that Obama caved on the public option for health insurance and opted for the exchanges and mandates I was so angry that I punched the stereo as I was driving in my truck!

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

SalenaZito and Brad Todd wrote The Great Divide about Trump voters. Salena identified the Trump voters, long before there was a Trump.

Listened to an interview where not only why Trump has his voters, she said something scary. Trump isn't losing any support but she is seeing evidence that his support is growing. In areas that gave Trump the election, he's getting support from people who didn't vote for him. If that happens, Trump is certain to win again.

There is like zero evidence on the ground for this. 

The GOP has been getting its ass kicked all over the country in elections and it’s politicians are retiring at record numbers.

That absolutely does not happen with a popular president who is soaring in support around the country.

Pretty much everything since 2016 has told us that many, many people who even voted for Trump have come to realize that he and the GOP are a raging dumpster fire.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Hmmm...dark web eh? Sounds more like he was on a website designed with Angelfire.

I know what you mean about intelligent people getting sucked into this nonsense. Somewhere along the line we started believing that the counter voice was correct by virtue of being different. Sow in enough doubt about what passes as journalism and you have an intellectual person seeking truth in a place with no stops or accountability to insure accuracy or even basic truthfulness. 

I blame the popularity of the X-Files... or maybe that's why it was so popular?

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 8:24 PM, tshile said:

Theres a dark web website releasing information the government doesn’t want us to know. It’s run by a guy with a “quantum clearance” which means he has access into all the agencies databases. Higher than the nsa. 

This is q-anon and he's talking about 4chan or its more demented cousin 8chan. 

It's the dumbest conspiracy theory ever to grace humanity but I suppose fitting for the times we live in.

• Thanks 1

Back onto the topic of "Understanding the Trump Voter" I think the premise is a bit flawed since "Trump Voter" can be a lot of things. I don't think there is any understanding to be done about the frothing crowds of folks chanting "lock her up" still, at Trump rallies.  Those people are just in a different reality.

The only people you can really even begin to try to have a rational conversation with are the 15-20% of folks that weren't necessarily thrilled about Trump, but voted for him because they felt he was something different, out of the norm, etc etc....the "give him a shot" types. Basically the ones who wouldn't not necessarily vote (D) going forward, it was more their distrust of Hillary herself.

• Like 3

On 5/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, twa said:

you are right, Kasich is a lot like McCain and Romney.   Whether you agree with their policy positions or not, you wouldn't be ****ing ashamed to have them as President, and you would have faith that for the most part they would do what they personally thought was best for the country.    That doesn't mean that I would vote for them against an Obama, but if Trump had run as a Dem (which would've been easily possible prior to the birther nonsense) and won the nomination  (which never would've been ****ing possible), i sure as hell would've voted for McCain Kasich or Romney in a hot second.

you, on the other hand.....  

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Like 1