Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

One of my all time favorite moments was jumping in puddles with my son when he was like 2 at a nats game during a rain delay.  Have a video of it. Other people would walk by and just stop and laugh. Idk what it is but puddles and young kids, you’ll never see a look either more joy than that on their faces. 

kids first basketball game today. They won 24-8. My boy had 12 points, 10 rebounds, and a handful of steals. 5-6 year old basketball doesn’t mean a damn thing but it’s still fun to watch your kid work the other kids like that 😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, Fergasun said:

Guilty, but I don't see a problem with "no problem".  I'll normally use it if I feel a "thank you" is not necessary.   

WhenI waited tables at a fancy hotel in college, our training told us to say “my pleasure”.

They said: You don’t want to conjure up ideas of “problems”. You want to leave them with the idea of pleasure. 

I would lock eyes and do a longer than comfortable pause after “pleasure” without breaking gaze. THAT, awkward/uncomfortable feeling is what I left them with. Because I’m no ones dancing monkey. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Don't let her catch up with my little "nephew", @Chew🤣 

Right?! LOL

Dude's a menace.  My son enjoys rolling over Lego people with his bumper car, and then he laughs.  I'm afraid little bro didn't get much of my bleeding heart :rofl89:

Baby Renegade 🥰.  Hope the camera person delivered on those juice boxes :chair::ols:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’m so excited. My boy is old enough for spring lacrosse. We missed registration because the other league doesn’t go to 8U and I didn’t know about this league until yesterday, but they hooked us up anyways!

its… expensive. I think we’re gonna be around 600$ in signup costs although $225 should be returned when we return the equipment (first year players rental program). Still. Pretty pricey. 

but super stoked. Him and I have played catch with lacrosse sticks since he was 3. So happy he finally is gonna get to throw some pads and gloves and helmet on and go out there and play. I think he’ll like it. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Texas mom arrested after attacking seventh graders and a referee at kid's basketball game

During a middle school basketball game in Murphy over the weekend, referee Greg Ivanovsky had to toss a player after she punched another girl in the middle of the game.

After the game was over, the player stormed back onto the court, as did her mother.

That's when 37-year-old Dominique Graham PUNCHED the player her daughter was fighting with in the face! And then, Graham turned her attention to Ivanovsky!

The referee told FOX 4, "This isn’t going to happen. I’m not going to allow this. And then out of nowhere, I get a left hook across the mouth, my glasses go sideways like this."

And then chaos completely erupted as more players and parents stormed the court as Graham continued to strike anyone she could.

Police say Graham hit three underage players and two adults.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

• 2 weeks later...

Daughter's sick, either cold or sinus infection, and unfortunately it's kicking her ass.

Been though this before, so I'm on the line with the on call nurse, she's nodding her head with what we're doing so far, and then adds now that she's 1 I can break out the secret weapon:

Honey

Fn game changer.  See, she can tell all that stuff, even new stuff we got that has honey in it is, some form of medication, and she's not a fan at all. 

So I finally stuck 0.5 ml of 100% honey in her mouth while she was coughing.  At first she thought I was trying to give her meds again, but one taste she opened her eyes, closed them, stopped coughing, and went back to sleep.  It's not a cure, but it soothes her throat quickly and she can tell it isn't meds (not being meds allows a different frequency so you arent kicking yourself listening to them cough waiting for when you can give them meds again). 

TL:DR - don't give kids honey before 1, but once they are 1, have honey on deck.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

I am a new father now and have found that I am terrified to sleep when the baby is sleeping. I’m so afraid she’s going to roll over and suffocate herself or choke on her spit up etc. what if she gets too cold? What if her swaddle is too tight and she is overheats? i don’t know how to get past it. I feel like someone should just have eyes on her 24/7 until she’s like 3 then maybe I can rest. we’ve done everything we can and take all the precautions but I can’t shake the fear that something horrible will happen while I’m asleep. 

shes 4 days old. I don’t know how to feel better lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I am a new father now and have found that I am terrified to sleep when the baby is sleeping. I’m so afraid she’s going to roll over and suffocate herself or choke on her spit up etc. what if she gets too cold? What if her swaddle is too tight and she is overheats? i don’t know how to get past it. I feel like someone should just have eyes on her 24/7 until she’s like 3 then maybe I can rest. we’ve done everything we can and take all the precautions but I can’t shake the fear that something horrible will happen while I’m asleep. 

shes 4 days old. I don’t know how to feel better lol. 

Ours isn’t here yet but I dropped 300 on a camera that’s supposed to monitor all that and send me alerts/alarm me 

and the plan is for the bassinet to be literally right next to the bed. So it makes little sense but I’m already freaking out. 

Good luck playa 

• Like 2

I had Adrienne's crib in my room for a couple of years. I was in a house with good sized bedrooms. Full bed, dresser, crib, other stuff. If you have a separate nursery, the camera monitor idea is a good one. Plus I kept waking up and checking to make sure she was still breathing never goes away. I do that with Dancer and she's right in the bed with me! So that never goes away unless they're out of the house as adults. Although with teens you respect their space.

Hovering and being concerned is a human thing and it will ease with time and experience. Read the new baby books on how to place them. Swaddling wasn't a thing 45 years ago at least with me. How to position the baby is something new to me too.  Cribs look so big when a newborn is in it! 

Best wishes for you new parents! You and your baby will do great! It's all about love!

• Like 3

thank you. The bassinet is in the room with us beside our bed. I had to push it away a bit because I sleep with a ton of pillows and I’m scared one may fall into the bassinet at night on top of her. So I end up just laying there staring at her all night lol. 

between my wife and I, we have 22 nieces and nephews so we are no strangers to babies, watching them, spending the night etc. and I had the same concerns with them, constantly checking them to make sure they are breathing and were ok but with my own newborn now it’s been cranked up to 100

• Like 1