Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

Everyone on here has youngins... so not sure how much help I can get on this. 

My awkward, constant video gaming nearly 17 year old son somehow landed himself an "online girlfriend" and is in a virtual long distance relatonship (or maybe a long distance virtual relationship).  She is of same age, even a bit older.  

When he couldn't decide on college, he now all of a sudden wants to attend a small state school in her neck of the woods.  Worse, they are on their phones with each other till 1 or 2 am. "Dad, all the kids do it!!" -- sorry... I was watching over his shoulder last night and I don't buy that it is so innocent. 

The other aspect is how much I obsessed over every girl I dated and believed every relationship was destined for disney "happily ever after".

@Fergasun

There's certain point I know I'll have to remind myself of when I was a certain age in terms of putting myself in shoes of my kids (not saying you aren't, jus doing that here in event my kids eventually did what you said yours is now).

Small state school doesn't sound stupid expensive or difficult to transfer credits somewhere else if it comes to that.  Does he know what he wants to school for at least?

I'm not a fan of long distance relationships (personal experience), let alone "I haven't met you yet" ones.  Having said that, I haven't heard a lot success stories once the plethora of options comes about once actually on campus, nature saves us from ourselves sometimes ar that age.

Not buying "everyone is doing it" as he says, and sounds like things can't be stopped (he'll go around you if he has to, i know i was that kinda 17 year old if i had to), but things will definetly take care of themselves in event he gets cat fished.

Has he done a campus tour and will that be when they meet?  I remember being a teen and having a girlfriend I was up till 2 in the morning tying the house phone up, not gonna front.  But at least we met and kissed before doing BF/GF thing (this was before it became so much easier to find people like yourself in all these different online platforms to throw puppy love into the mix with).

There's high chance it won't work, but are you saying he was on fence about going to college until he decided to go to college where she was? Is she going to college there, too?

Entirely possibly she convinced him to go to college if thats the case, so theres that. So yea, if she's actually really good at games and they clearly are clicking, I don't have enough information to see this as more then "it might not work out and he'll survive if it doesnt" similar to what you and I went through but in different times / ways of it playing out.

• 4 weeks later...

Youngest decided she didn't want bottle anymore despite a freezer full of breastmilk.

After spending time troubleshooting, came to realization she jus preferred straight from the breast, not anything wrong with the milk or bottles themselves.

So after her pediatrician said longest she could go was 6 hours without eating now, Wife and I agreed no breast unless she goes 6 hours without taking bottle, bottle only for now.

Was my youngest madder then a bag of bees? Absolutely.

Is she taking bottle again now? Yes : )

I respect your resolve to go hungry to get what you want, but you are my daughter, so I know where that resolution, stubbornness, perseverance, whatever you want to call it, comes from...

• Like 1

Tip - don't be like this mom:

Woman arrested after 6-year-old caught drinking alcohol inside gas station

A six-year-old Butler County boy was caught drinking alcohol, not once but twice in two different locations on the same night.

Victoria Hampton, 26, of Hanover Township, was arrested and charged with child endangering and contributing to the delinquency of a child. Court records state the child was in her care. It's not clear if she is the child's mother.

The first incident was all caught on camera. The child can be seen getting out of a car at the Marathon gas station in Hanover Township.

Olivia Eversole was working at the Marathon Friday night and saw the little boy after he hopped out of a car.

"And, he's drinking a beer in the parking lot. My coworker was like, 'Is he drinking a beer?' I turn and look and am like, 'Oh, he is,'" Eversole said

Eversole said the child even offered some to a customer.

Once he entered the store, he can be seen walking through the parking lot holding a bottle of Smirnoff Ice in one hand. It sips from it several times. He is carrying snacks in the other hand.

"I said, 'Do you know that you're drinking a beer?' and he said, 'Yup, this is me and my mommy's favorite beer. We drink it all the time,'" Eversole said. "Instantly I knew, give me my phone. I'm calling 911."

Eversole tried to keep the child occupied until deputies arrived.

"I said, "Go shopping. Get whatever you want. I'll buy it," Eversole said.

He ran to the car, returned without the drink and starting putting items on the counter.

"He got doughnuts and some candy and some toothpaste and some mouthwash and said he was super excited to use it," Eversole said. "He did point at dip, chewing tobacco, and said, 'That one's my favorite one. I haven't tried this one yet. My mommy hasn't let me try that one yet, but I like this one the best.'"

When deputies arrived, the woman in the car, later identified as Hampton, reportedly said it was an accident. She and the child left.

Deputies then went to her home nearby on Lakeside Drive, where, according to court records, they found the same child on a scooter in the middle of the road with another Smirnoff Ice in his hand.

Hampton was arrested.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:22 PM, Fergasun said:

Everyone on here has youngins... so not sure how much help I can get on this. 

My awkward, constant video gaming nearly 17 year old son somehow landed himself an "online girlfriend" and is in a virtual long distance relatonship (or maybe a long distance virtual relationship).  She is of same age, even a bit older.  

When he couldn't decide on college, he now all of a sudden wants to attend a small state school in her neck of the woods.  Worse, they are on their phones with each other till 1 or 2 am. "Dad, all the kids do it!!" -- sorry... I was watching over his shoulder last night and I don't buy that it is so innocent. 

The other aspect is how much I obsessed over every girl I dated and believed every relationship was destined for disney "happily ever after".

This post needs an update.

Male or female, if they start hinting around or outright asking for money, that should be the end. No matter what age.

I gave up on online dating because either they were men pretending to be women or they were women who had a man friend who found my picture/intro great, this in spite of me saying no men. Reading comprehension is in short supply.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

This post needs an update.

So much drama.... more than I can say because we are not supposed to know anything.  It pays to have good relationships with your childs friends.  

He plans on meeting her and her family when they go on family vacation at local theme park.  We told him -- if her parents talk to us and he has permission to join them, its okay. 

We told him he can Uber there...  but we'll pick him up. 

This will happen in 2 weeks.  

"Mira - Royal Detective" on Disney junior is really good, daughter feeling it, and very simple easy to understand deductive reasoning.

Tried Eureka, but when I saw dinosaurs and humans chillin together I backed off not to confuse her.  If you gonna be a learning show, don't teach stuff that ain't close to being right.  It's why I don't like bubble guppies either.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I hear you, but we've always just told our kids that it's make believe (humans and dinosaurs together) to tell a fun story and they've been fine with it. 

I get it, and I wouldn't care if it's was Flinstones, or some Ice Age movie because it's not pretending to be semi or officially educational.

Maybe you right, overthinking it...my oldest is 18 months so she wouldn't understand my clarification yet.

45 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

What even is a 3 year old? 

I could get a lot more done in life if I lived everyday like my son. He just takes what he wants and charms everyone at the same damn time. 

Three year olds are all tyrants.  They march around in constant search of what pleases them and stop only when their bitter enemy, sleep, overcomes them and drags them towards dreaming.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Destino said:

Three year olds are all tyrants.  They march around in constant search of what pleases them and stop only when their bitter enemy, sleep, overcomes them and drags them towards dreaming.  

I remember my grandkids at that age (I never had kids, my stepdaughter did).  Holy cow...just to keep them out of everything when they were here most Saturdays was a challenge until we put The Little Mermaid on...instant sleep mode. 

They're also the only reason I know who lives in a pineapple under the sea, so there's that.  :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Hope you're there for all that happiness! 

Everything still going well since last week?

Everything is progressing as it should. Instructions say I can remove the dressing tomorrow. I see the doc on Wednesday to remove the drain. Down to clear fluid now as desirable. Still not much pain, although I'm taking one at night and getting good sleep.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Cost of raising a child through age of 17 spikes to more than $310K

The cost of raising a child through the age of 17 has gone up to more than $310,000, according to a new analysis from The Brookings Institution.

The organization ran the numbers for the Wall Street Journal, and said that for a married, middle-income family, it costs $310,605 to raise one child.

That works out to an average of more than $18,000 per year, and is a 9% increase from the year before.

Click on the link for the full article