Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

I'm slackin, sister put me on game concerning Sesame Street on HBO Max.  51 seasons, yo, figured what the hell start with episode 1 from what, 1969? 

So far so good, but she kinda watchin it and kinda doing her thing then watching it again, the real test is tomorrow when I have meetings and if she can watch this instead of Dave and Ava. Open to fast forwarding a couple decades or checking Elmo's World on Amazon (if its really there).

I'm not sure how to describe what I'm feeling right now.  That 51 years ago someone had the same idea and 51 years later it still works.  And that even 51 years ago the attempt at diversity were sincere, more so then some of this crap I see on YouTube like Cocomelon.

Daughter hates Cocomelon and I'm fine with that, I do too, high five, kid.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sesame Street is money. 

Not sure about the old school Sesame Street but today's version is way too flashy. My kids are in love with Mr Rodgers. I like it as well because its so passive and soothing. I tried to let them watch an episode of PeeWee Herman which I watched as a kid and I had to stop about 2 minutes in because it was too flashy as well. But Mr Rodgers is one of my favorite shows as a parent, and his songs are so good. "What do you do with the mad that you feel?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Not sure about the old school Sesame Street but today's version is way too flashy. My kids are in love with Mr Rodgers. I like it as well because its so passive and soothing. I tried to let them watch an episode of PeeWee Herman which I watched as a kid and I had to stop about 2 minutes in because it was too flashy as well. But Mr Rodgers is one of my favorite shows as a parent, and his songs are so good. "What do you do with the mad that you feel?"

Yea, this is a pretty common difference in preferences.  Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it I think.  Sesame Street is frenetic, a lot of things are happening on the screen at once, colors are bright, the pace is fast.  This is done to keep children engaged because they have to pay close attention to keep up.  And if you can keep a kid's attention, you can educate them. 

Mr. Rodgers is very slow paced, only one thing is happening on the screen at a time, colors are soft.  This is done to keep children engaged because it's easy to follow.  

They are both great shows, but they are very different in approach.  It's just a matter of preference which one you like better.  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, this is a pretty common difference in preferences.  Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it I think.  Sesame Street is frenetic, a lot of things are happening on the screen at once, colors are bright, the pace is fast.  This is done to keep children engaged because they have to pay close attention to keep up.  And if you can keep a kid's attention, you can educate them. 

Mr. Rodgers is very slow paced, only one thing is happening on the screen at a time, colors are soft.  This is done to keep children engaged because it's easy to follow.  

They are both great shows, but they are very different in approach.  It's just a matter of preference which one you like better.  

Yeah, my wife and I differ because she likes Mr Rodgers and different shows. I'm more of a music / youtube guy. So I can turn to a youtube kids music stream and without video content just have something playing for them that catches their interests. 

A lot of times when my daughter gets into something I dont like, I pick her up from back of her clothes and respawn her in the living room. 

If she stops when I'm coming towards her and quickly crawls away, I let it go, it means she knows she's wrong, which is what I want.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I hate hate hate hearing "no problem" after a "thank you".  The proper response is "you're welcome". 

Ha.  My wife and I had this exact conversation a week or so ago.  I tend to agree with you.  But we came to a conclusion that it’s situational.  For example, waitstaff brings your food.  Thank you - no problem = not good. That case should be “you’re welcome”.  

I hold the door for you and you say thank you.  I should say “you’re welcome”.  Common courtesy, I didn’t go out of my way and holding a door shouldn’t be a problem.

The instances where we agreed that “no problem” is a good response is when you’ve done something for someone at an inconvenience and you want to assure the person that everything is okay.  For example, a neighbor is going into labor and they frantically ask if you can watch their older child while the they go to the hospital because their family flaked.  You’re welcome and no problem are good responses to the thank you.

• Like 1

Oh man, I say "no problem", and "you got it" all the time in casual situations. I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about stuff like this. (Though if someone expressed a preference to me, I'd try to respect it.)

I do agree in a formal situation like customer service it's best to use "you're welcome".

• Like 3

Meh. I try not to overthink such things and just roll with it. 

But on that topic - instead of going the route of “you can’t say that word” I’m trying a more nuanced approach of teaching my kids when/why you can’t use certain words. 

so far it’s going ok. It’s jarring to hear certain words as a parent, but when it’s with me I honestly don’t care. As long as the kid can handle understanding when it’s not ok. 

• 2 weeks later...

After watching fall machine pitch ball, winter basketball is on point. My son is either #1 or #2 on the team and it’s not close. 

little kids are so terrible at sports and it makes me want to go out there and play. Be like “no. This is what this is supposed to look like”. Especially baseball practice cause that’s never something you get to do as an adult - there aren’t pickup baseball games or thanksgiving baseball games. 

anyways. Half these kids if you yell pass the hand it to. the kid defending them 😂 

But it is funny how your kid can pay attention and be on top of something if they like it and want it. And I’ll thoroughly enjoy being a basketball dad if that’s where this goes. At least your games are indoors 😆 

• Like 1