Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

Updating the post about my son from awhile back.  He did indeed meet this girl from online at that amusement park themed around a human-like rodent during the week.  Not a catfish.  

They are meeting again today.  I just put him on a metro train vs. Uber because he wanted to save some money.

Past 6 months have been huge for him,.driver's license, first job, and hit me like a ton of bricks this morning that this is the point where I see how our parenting has gone -- we're not done totally, but whatever we have invested in him... it's there... his character is already reflecting everything we have done for better or worse.  It is just weird having some fog about his life... not like it hasn't been happening. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

My daughter's 44 and it is amazing that she's such a great human being. She's kind, responsible, and a better mother than I was to her. As a single, working mother I often wondered if the way I was raising her would work. Apparently it did. I'm glad she is my only child because I couldn't have coped with more. I really started to see her true adult character until she was early twenties, ironically about the same age I felt truly grown up. 

It's a great feeling!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

-- we're not done totally, but whatever we have invested in him... it's there... his character is already reflecting everything we have done for better or worse.

I also spent an enormous amount of time investing my now 17, almost 18, year old with my strong sense of honor, decency and work ethic.

...he's ****ed.

• Haha 2

Parenting Dilemma. 

Kids are arguing over their play phone. Older wants it from Younger, but they had agreed that each one gets to make one "phone call" before giving it to the other. So Younger is clearly talking on the play phone. Then he stops and Older comes over to get the phone for his turn. Only Younger tells him that he didn't make a "phone call" he had only made a "play phone call" and he still should get a chance to make a real phone call. They want me to settle it but I'm at a loss. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Parenting Dilemma. 

Kids are arguing over their play phone. Older wants it from Younger, but they had agreed that each one gets to make one "phone call" before giving it to the other. So Younger is clearly talking on the play phone. Then he stops and Older comes over to get the phone for his turn. Only Younger tells him that he didn't make a "phone call" he had only made a "play phone call" and he still should get a chance to make a real phone call. They want me to settle it but I'm at a loss. 

How old are they?

54 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Parenting Dilemma. 

Use time. Give the little one 1 minute to make the call real or not. Then hand the phone over to the older. 

This also puts you in control as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zCommander said:

Use time. Give the little one 1 minute to make the call real or not. Then hand the phone over to the older. 

This also puts you in control as well. 

I don't want control. I want to be able to do my morning workout in peace before the drama of the day gets started. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't want control. I want to be able to do my morning workout in peace before the drama of the day gets started. 

If the kids don't fear their parents then the drama will continue. You still have to teach them. They are not going to learn on their own what is good and what is bad behavior.

My kids feared their mom but I was the balanced one. My kids wouldn't run around in people's houses like I see these days, for example. They were well behaved and sat and would ask permission to move. They are older now, youngest being 16, but to this day they still respect their parents and the nicest kids you will ever meet. :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

My kid vs. your kids!  Politeness cage match!  Hell in a cell rules to submission!!!!....or until someone forgets to say please, thank you, or address the ref as sir or ma'am.

True. We did the best a parent can do. Not perfect but they did turn out okay. So a little proud of our efforts. It is tough being a parent. There is no sure thing. Trial and error and common sense is all we got. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 5:08 PM, China said:

Tip - don't be like this mom:

Woman arrested after 6-year-old caught drinking alcohol inside gas station

A six-year-old Butler County boy was caught drinking alcohol, not once but twice in two different locations on the same night.

Victoria Hampton, 26, of Hanover Township, was arrested and charged with child endangering and contributing to the delinquency of a child. Court records state the child was in her care. It's not clear if she is the child's mother.

The first incident was all caught on camera. The child can be seen getting out of a car at the Marathon gas station in Hanover Township.

Olivia Eversole was working at the Marathon Friday night and saw the little boy after he hopped out of a car.

"And, he's drinking a beer in the parking lot. My coworker was like, 'Is he drinking a beer?' I turn and look and am like, 'Oh, he is,'" Eversole said

Eversole said the child even offered some to a customer.

Once he entered the store, he can be seen walking through the parking lot holding a bottle of Smirnoff Ice in one hand. It sips from it several times. He is carrying snacks in the other hand.

"I said, 'Do you know that you're drinking a beer?' and he said, 'Yup, this is me and my mommy's favorite beer. We drink it all the time,'" Eversole said. "Instantly I knew, give me my phone. I'm calling 911."

Eversole tried to keep the child occupied until deputies arrived.

"I said, "Go shopping. Get whatever you want. I'll buy it," Eversole said.

He ran to the car, returned without the drink and starting putting items on the counter.

"He got doughnuts and some candy and some toothpaste and some mouthwash and said he was super excited to use it," Eversole said. "He did point at dip, chewing tobacco, and said, 'That one's my favorite one. I haven't tried this one yet. My mommy hasn't let me try that one yet, but I like this one the best.'"

When deputies arrived, the woman in the car, later identified as Hampton, reportedly said it was an accident. She and the child left.

Deputies then went to her home nearby on Lakeside Drive, where, according to court records, they found the same child on a scooter in the middle of the road with another Smirnoff Ice in his hand.

Hampton was arrested.

Click on the link for the full article

Sheesh! People are so sensitive nowadays. It's the 2020s people! Babies are into all kinds of stuff these days.

Baby drink.jpg

Baby Drugs.JPG

Baby toke.jpg

• Haha 2

Tight. Signed the boy up for his second round of basketball, and a fall basketball clinic. Wife and I are gonna coach, so is his buddies dad (stud athlete through college)

also signed him up for some pickup lacrosse weekends in the fall to keep him going, and a weekend team brawl with the rest of NOVA to run a 2 day event, 4-5 games per day. 

Im gonna fill the sports void left by the Redskins’s with youth sports. 

and my daughters dance class and recitals 

which… I’m not against that but when they’re three it’s like ………

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, tshile said:

Son and daughter want hamsters 

gonna make a cafe with tubes that run around the walls of the basement

gonna make like 500 feet worth of tubes for these ****ers to run around and get stuck in

Make sure they are the same sex. Supervisor did the same thing earlier in the year and apparently pet stores do not do a good job separating them in store. So she thought she had two males. Ended up with 16 of the ****ers lol

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Son and daughter want hamsters 

gonna make a cafe with tubes that run around the walls of the basement

gonna make like 500 feet worth of tubes for these ****ers to run around and get stuck in

I had the same idea. They ate through the plastic tubes and so ended up living in a glass tank. Then one died and the other ate it.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

We got our son a hamster when he was 6-7yo. He named it Spike. We went on a short vacation for 4-5 days, made sure Spike had enough food & water before we left. When we got home we found Spike with his head caught in the walking wheel - stiff as a board. 

• Sad 2