Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

I'm going to have the difficult Advanced Directive and Medical Power of Attorney discussion with my daughter soon. You'd think that I already had it but I've been putting it off. Considering my current health is pretty stable since my stroke, it's really time to get this done. My mom didn't do this and my brother and I had to make some decisions, which is uncomfortable. I want to spare my daughter and make some decisions ahead of time, and I have to let her know what I want done given events. Better to get it over with.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm going to have the difficult Advanced Directive and Medical Power of Attorney discussion with my daughter soon. You'd think that I already had it but I've been putting it off. Considering my current health is pretty stable since my stroke, it's really time to get this done. My mom didn't do this and my brother and I had to make some decisions, which is uncomfortable. I want to spare my daughter and make some decisions ahead of time, and I have to let her know what I want done given events. Better to get it over with.

I think doing this is very admirable and doesn’t need to be difficult. “Just so you know, here is what i want….”

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Me and my mom had this convo and it wasn’t really that difficult for either of us. She just told me what it was, how she would like me to handle things and why. It’s a little grim, but it’s reality and it really did make things easier for me. One less thing I have to worry about when the time comes. 

She learned this was important after watching her own mother deteriorating. Besides seeing my brother die that was one of the hardest things for her. She’s choosing to save me from that and I respect it. 

Hopefully you and your daughter can come to that understanding. You seem like a really straightforward person so I would be surprised if you didn’t raise her to be able to take one on the chin once or twice and still do what needs to be done. Best thing mom ever taught me was endurance (besides love)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

One of the best thing you can do for your family.  Kudos to you for planning ahead for your family.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bearrock said:

One of the best thing you can do for your family.  Kudos to you for planning ahead for your family.  

Yup. Wife in healthcare is big on getting people to do this. 

when you work in that field you see all too often what happens when it’s not done. And it’s not pretty. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

You are a great parent for having this discussion.  Please ensure your estate planning is in order, or at least people know where all of your finances are organized. 

Dad passed "unexpectedly" (and he never mentioned to us he had a previous stroke) he didn't have anything in place.  Sorting through his life and papers, especially since he saved everything... was messy. In fact, he didn't have advanced medical directives at all.  We just knew he didn't want quality of life impacted.

• Like 2

I'm putting all my personal property into a trust to avoid probate. The only thing left is my car to go into it, I have to check on the financial consequences of transferring title to the trust. At some point I'm going to sell it and then Uber or Lyft because I really don't travel around that much and doctors, grocery, pharmacy, etc are close by. That will save car insurance and gas. But not for a few years. Since I have a paralegal degree/ education, I can write it myself.

It's the medical stuff that concerns me because I want a certain quality of life.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments!

Edited by LadySkinsFan

47 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I had an advance directive put together when I got my will done last year. 

This is the correct way to do it. Because age has little to do with it. It can happen at any time. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I had an advance directive put together when I got my will done last year. 

Likewise.

Our estate planning also included a trust fund for the dogs so that they could continue to live in the manner to which they have become accustomed. :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Appareantly there is a song called "Thuder and Lightning" I was supposed to know about. I was listening to music and my kid screams how he wants to hear this song. Me not knowing this is a song just threw on a youtube of thrunder and lightning sounds. So now my kids are afraid of thunder and lightning. 

How's your day going?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Appareantly there is a song called "Thuder and Lightning" I was supposed to know about. I was listening to music and my kid screams how he wants to hear this song. Me not knowing this is a song just threw on a youtube of thrunder and lightning sounds. So now my kids are afraid of thunder and lightning. 

How's your day going?

Imagine Dragons?

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

i think that's who it is, or is that a movie? 

I'm doing all I can to raise these kids right and direct them on the right paths towards good music and this is what they're learning in school? What chance do I have?

Haha.  Yes, that’s a band.  It’s okay if they listen to “bad” music at this age.  Just make sure they are exposed to the good stuff.  My knowledge of pop music has increased 100 fold now that I have kids.

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Haha.  Yes, that’s a band.  It’s okay if they listen to “bad” music at this age.  Just make sure they are exposed to the good stuff.  My knowledge of pop music has increased 100 fold now that I have kids.

BUt most of this stuff is just junnk based on classics. WHo redid who let the dogs out? I played the original and he was like no this isn't it. 

• Haha 3

On 5/25/2022 at 8:58 AM, Llevron said:

You are a madman signing up for this again so soon. I just want you to know that I had a moment 2 nights ago at like 2am, where the child didnt want to go to sleep and was ****ing hysterical about it ....like rivers of tears, anger of 1000 suns mad......mom was tired and annoyed......I was tired and annoyed....dog left me. Literally gave up on me and the child and went into the other room. And I sat there and wondered why I did this to myself. And then finally when I was able to calm her down she **** all over everything. Just the biggest fart I have ever heard.......... and then the warmth of I didn't want to know what all over my lap. Then she laughed at me and feel asleep when I was changing her. Jerk! 

i’ve been waiting for this night or period but man I am to the point now where I legit wake up and pinch myself I feel so lucky. She’s 4 months now and has been sleeping through the night since week 2. Once we got her on a good routine it was over. She goes down at around 8-9pm after a bath, reading 1-2 books, and a bottle. She won’t wake up once until the morning when I wake her up around 7 to feed her again before I got into work. It’s wild. She sleeps 10-11 hours a night straight through off a 4-5oz bottle. It’s concerning lol sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I’ll give her a shake just to make sure she’s alive. I feel like she should be getting up. I appreciate this for sure this but now starting to worry she’s going to pay me back somehow later in life 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

That point you don't have to wake them up in the middle of the night to make sure they don't go more then 3 hours without eating is definetly the end of the first loop of the Rollercoaster and some return to "normalcy", at least sleepwise.

It doesn't get worse or better from here, it jus gets different and every kid is different.

Ain't gonna lie, sometimes I do something like pull a leg in middle of the night to make sure they alive as well, I don't think I've met a parent that didn't do that at some point, lol, they both in the crib now, and it's surreal looking in the camera seeing their two little heads in night vision. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i’ve been waiting for this night or period but man I am to the point now where I legit wake up and pinch myself I feel so lucky. She’s 4 months now and has been sleeping through the night since week 2. Once we got her on a good routine it was over. She goes down at around 8-9pm after a bath, reading 1-2 books, and a bottle. She won’t wake up once until the morning when I wake her up around 7 to feed her again before I got into work. It’s wild. She sleeps 10-11 hours a night straight through off a 4-5oz bottle. It’s concerning lol sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I’ll give her a shake just to make sure she’s alive. I feel like she should be getting up. I appreciate this for sure this but now starting to worry she’s going to pay me back somehow later in life 

Thats the exact routine we started a week ago. When we do it, it works. Problem is consistency right now. We were just away for 4 days for a funeral and she was with mom so I feel like we are going to start over. But like I said, when we do it, it works. 

I, too, am past the “Why did I do this to myself phase” at least for a moment. I told the wife the other day I want three more and I would mean it if we could afford it. Honestly I love her to death and just watching the little ones at the funeral got me thinking about how much fun it would be. 

Wife and I had to Rock Paper Scissors for who got to hold her first when we got home. 

I won. 

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That point you don't have to wake them up in the middle of the night to make sure they don't go more then 3 hours without eating is definetly the end of the first loop of the Rollercoaster and some return to "normalcy", at least sleepwise.

Man do I need some of that. I think I slept 12 hours a day when we were away smh. Our doc said we can stretch it to 4 hours, but when we do she wakes up so hangry she won’t eat. We have to fight her for like an hour to get her to calm down and then feed her. Not even worth it yet. She’s a little monster. Has my attitude 

4DC2C606-1B26-4AEF-92AF-37BBBE27B080.jpeg

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Man do I need some of that. I think I slept 12 hours a day when we were away smh. Our doc said we can stretch it to 4 hours, but when we do she wakes up so hangry she won’t eat. We have to fight her for like an hour to get her to calm down and then feed her. Not even worth it yet. She’s a little monster. Has my attitude 

That pic is awesome : )

Honestly, we kept it at 3 hours max with our first until we got the go ahead from pediatrician to stop waking her up in middle of the night to make sure she eats, and gonna do same with our second.

So if yours ain't having it with 4 hours like that, back off, because their in charge right now at this early in their life, not us :ols:

5c2.gif.5b276fa13ecc600480ad7a4f3c8be0f0.gif

It's basically their house until they are ready for scheduling like @Momma There Goes That Man talking about, they need time before ready for tough love or crying it out because they jus got here, but that doesn't mean don't draw the lines (like mine is no baby in the bed, cannot let them win that one, i dont care how much extra sleep it helps with).

What does seem to be helping (even if only psychological) is having alarms on my and my Wife's phones that go off every three hours as a reminder, starting at midnight.  Reason I say that is because unless the baby is demanding milk more often then that (which is ours did at first, and comes and goes with the growth spurts, coming down as they get older), it seems to get closer and closer to only waking up once at 3am until pediatrician says you don't have to anymore.

Edited by Renegade7

On 7/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This is beautiful. 

My first kid wasn't a sleeper (at least going to sleep wasn't easy, still isn't) so I envy that. 

• Like 1

Make sure you always watching what your kids are watching...

20220705_130523.thumb.jpg.377a4319596635dd6d382a4af0714538.jpg

...because an angry Akilli is a dangerous Akilli.

She doesn't seem interested in mercy or adhering to the Geneva Convention, so I'm concerned on that rubbing off on my 17 month old and her potentially commiting war crimes...

• Haha 1