Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

I did the “drive her around at night until she falls asleep” thing with my first kid. 

I wouldn’t drive aimlessly, I’d explore Alexandria and all the neighborhoods, since I had only lived here for like a year at the time. 

Turns out, even if you are white and driving a Mercedes, cops WILL pull you over if you are slowly creeping through a fancy neighborhood at 2am on a Tuesday. Then, when they come to talk to you and you make the universal SHHHHH gesture and point to the baby in the back seat, they will understand immediately and back away while giving you a thumbs up. 

Youngest has a need for speed...anything under 30 pisses her off if we stay there too long. Traffic, explanation demanded.  She's gotten better, just...

Seems no matter what mood she's in 60 and up seems to calm her down the best, faster the better.  I've been testing this for months now, she's an incoming speeding ticket and I know where it comes from...

me-point-to-self.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tshile said:

#drugrunneradvice 

Also lol at casually dropping “I drive a Mercedes” 

(I’m just jealous all the lawyers where I work drive Mercedes too. I show up in a big ram truck - the cheapest real truck you can get 😂)

I drive a Wrangler. I had a Benz for a while bc my wife wouldn’t let me drive an infant around in a vehicle without doors or a roof. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I did the “drive her around at night until she falls asleep” thing with my first kid. 

I wouldn’t drive aimlessly, I’d explore Alexandria and all the neighborhoods, since I had only lived here for like a year at the time. 

Turns out, even if you are white and driving a Mercedes, cops WILL pull you over if you are slowly creeping through a fancy neighborhood at 2am on a Tuesday. Then, when they come to talk to you and you make the universal SHHHHH gesture and point to the baby in the back seat, they will understand immediately and back away while giving you a thumbs up. 

I did the drive around all night without mastering the move from car to bed. Big mistake. 

What worked for me though was putting on some old school music (we're taking 70s RnB and just holding the kids in my arms and doing a 2 step. This was the origination of my workout plan as I was regularly getting 15k steps. But they'd sleep soundly. 

Problem is now they're spoiled. I don't rock them any more but they both have problems sleeping. 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:27 PM, Renegade7 said:

I haven't tried this yet, but sharing anyway...

I was shown this by a doctor when my daughter was a baby.  Didn’t work for us.  I guess some kids just want to scream.  lol

while I’m here… My daughters friend casually mentioned she hates horses the other day.  My daughter asked why, her friend said she didn’t know and that she’s simply scared of them.  I stayed quiet.  Neither of them remembered.

I know why.  It seems both of them have forgotten because it happened when they were much younger and kids just start erasing memories at some point.  They were both at a birthday party with horses, and one of the brutes tilted it’s head down bit her friends coat, lifted her up into the air, gave her a little shake, and kind of tossed her aside.  She seems to have forgotten but the fear remains.

it just didn’t seem like it was my place to tell her that I watched her little self get attacked by a horse.  Also I probably would have said something like “well, it’s probably because a horse spiked you like a football”

Should I have said something?  Does not knowing increase her trauma or lessen it?  Everything is trauma these days and none of it makes any sense to me.

Yeah I think the idea that you can magically stop babies from crying is a bunch of nonsense that sets parents up for disappointment. Yes, of course you can soothe them sometimes, and those techniques are good to learn. But none of them work all the time and doctors who act like they do aren't doing anybody any favors. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah I think the idea that you can magically stop babies from crying is a bunch of nonsense that sets parents up for disappointment. Yes, of course you can soothe them sometimes, and those techniques are good to learn. But none of them work all the time and doctors who act like they do aren't doing anybody any favors. 

I can dig it, as babies cry for different reasons (to point they have different cries for different things).

@Destino her parents should tell her if she forgot, people pay money for therapy to get to the root cause of stuff like that, might as well save her some coin

Edited by Renegade7

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Nice timeline... you didn't take said balance bike hiking in the woods with him did you?  He will come around to it and balance bikes are awesome.  

No we stayed in the paved roads in front of the waterfront. 

But I have one kid with a balance and one with training wheels. The one with TWs was constantly racing ahead and balance couldn't keep up. He was mad and tried to steal the TW bike. I'm going to call balance a fail and get a second TW bike. 

• 2 weeks later...

Listen up, ladies and gentlemen! Our fugitive has been on the run for twelve hours. Average foot speed over uneven ground barring injuries is 1 room per hour and that gives us a radius of... the entire house. What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every closet, doll house, Lego house, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. Your fugitive's name is Brownie Sue. Go get her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kid took a **** in the tub tonight. Awesome. 

That reminds me of the time Sabrina *cat* jumped into the toilet when my husband had a full-on "stream" going in the middle of the night.  :ols:

I can laugh about it now, but giving a cat a bath at the time was absolutely dreadful.  Sorry, dude. 

• Haha 2