Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

5 hours ago, tshile said:

I want to do this but I’m assuming it’s some sort of illegal?

Maybe, maybe not. But you do have to wait about a week until your kids have completely lost interest in their pets.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

So basically my kids just watch videos like that and after several weeks/months it’s turned into we must get a hamster 

🤷‍♂️ 

That video is bull****. At the first cardboard obstacle the hamster would have just shredded the entire set up. And crapped everywhere as he made his escape, including chewing up any new carpet and expensive furniture he could find as he exited the building.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

That video is bull****. At the first cardboard obstacle the hamster would have just shredded the entire set up. And crapped everywhere as he made his escape, including chewing up any new carpet and expensive furniture he could find as he exited the building.

Yup. I did the hamster/mice maze science project twice in middle school. Made the maze out of wood not cardboard but what you described were my exact findings. 💩 🧑‍🔬

• 3 weeks later...

Well kids, its official: he's 18.  Gonna graduate and go to college.  He'll become a productive member of society.  I did it.  Lord knows I almost throttled him once or twice, but I didn't. And despite basically being a single dad the whole time, I got him over the finish line.  My part in this is done, over, complete, fini...

college-tuition1.jpg.2f42d918ad748f2314369dedb1f31ee5.jpg

1Glk.gif.05166f7f7c6cdd943a3bfa67e059ec61.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Well kids, its official: he's 18.  Gonna graduate and go to college.  He'll become a productive member of society.  I did it.  Lord knows I almost throttled him once or twice, but I didn't. And despite basically being a single dad the whole time, I got him over the finish line.  My part in this is done, over, complete, fini...

college-tuition1.jpg.2f42d918ad748f2314369dedb1f31ee5.jpg

1Glk.gif.05166f7f7c6cdd943a3bfa67e059ec61.gif

Don't forget the "Now that you're 18, let me explain what that means for you legally and responsibility wise" talk. I did that with my daughter and it worked wonders. She's a productive, responsible, and I think a better mother than I was, she's 44 now. Sometimes you get surprised too. 

Today I'm celebrating my birthday (this past Wednesday) with her and my granddaughter. There's a food truck park near her house that we've been wanting to try. Perfect for my current situation of staying away from people as much as possible. And since we're still experiencing 90 degree weather, we can go back to her place to eat! Yay!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

I wanted to let let y’all know I feel like you lied to me. 

The baby won’t sleep now. It was all good when we could swaddle her…..but now that she can roll over we ain’t allowed to do that. So all the advice y’all gave me to get her to sleep; while it worked…..I can’t use it anymore.

when I discovered this the first thing through my mind was “**** *multiple of you*” 

like I said I feel lied to. I told the pediatrician and everything. He laughed at me. Told me to pray. 

EDIT I AINT ****ING SLEPT IN 2 WEEKS

this was a bad joke my bad

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

The baby won’t sleep now. It was all good when we could swaddle her…..but now that she can roll over we ain’t allowed to do that. So all the advice y’all gave me to get her to sleep; while it worked…..I can’t use it anymore.

when I discovered this the first thing through my mind was “**** *multiple of you*” 

like I said I feel lied to. I told the pediatrician and everything. He laughed at me. Told me to pray. 

Rockin chair and readin'.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I feel a little bad about how flippant my other post was. (But only a little.)

You got this. You are in one of the hardest stretches but it does get better eventually. 

36 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I feel a little bad about how flippant my other post was. (But only a little.)

You got this. You are in one of the hardest stretches but it does get better eventually. 

I was very drunk and mostly joking (which I notice now didn’t come through well) in my first post so it’s all good. She isn’t sleeping but we have a few plans we are trying to get her down. 

She’s just a feisty little thing. Self soothing is not happening yet cause she’s too busy being mad….but I’m noticing she’s getting better. Just not successful. So we will keep working on it 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Llevron said:

this was a bad joke my bad

We didn't lie to you, kids grow and change, that's not fine print : )

We have a electric swinging chair and good ol fashIon rocking chair,  a lot of things can add up to help with that. 

My kids are pacers, so holding them to my chest so they can hear my heart beat while I walk around using other hand for phone helps.  The backend of breastmilk is evolutionary designed to be essentially knockout juice. 

Be open to letting them cry it out once you've checked stuff of the list for why they are still crying when you put them in their crib and turn all the lights out.  Tummy time before bed to get them tired helps, too.  As much light as possible during the day and little as possible at night to get them used to day-night cycles.

It takes time, you got this : )

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I was very drunk and mostly joking (which I notice now didn’t come through well) in my first post so it’s all good. She isn’t sleeping but we have a few plans we are trying to get her down. 

She’s just a feisty little thing. Self soothing is not happening yet cause she’s too busy being mad….but I’m noticing she’s getting better. Just not successful. So we will keep working on it 

Fair, ours didn't immediately figure it out, either, jus keep making sure their hands are free and if neccesary stick their hand in their mouth for them (if you have to calm them down a little bit first, so be it).  Jus get them into the habit of knowing that's an option until they do it themselves (both our kids hated pacifiers, didn't want to  gove them one anyway)

Edited by Renegade7

14 hours ago, Llevron said:

Your discovering of the lies is only just starting. 

you won’t fully appreciate children again until they are your grandchildren and you can give them back when you’re tired of them. 

14 hours ago, Llevron said:

1) master taking baby from carseat and putting in bed without waking up. Pro tip - you master it and don’t let your wife touch the baby she’ll **** it all up. 
2) put baby in carseat

3) drive around for 30 minutes, find a route with few stops, put on appropriate music

4) go home and put skill learned in step 1 to use. 

there’s value in letting it self sooth. There’s also value in you keeping your sanity. Balance them best you can.

and remember everything is just a phase 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

I have many videos of my children dancing to nuts edm tracks on my phone

like this one 

5126284F-F266-41DD-9BB5-BC6A112E3305.MOV 1.49 MB · 0 downloads  

he dances like my wife and she dances like me

I like how the little one just starts out moving her head and then slowly it spreads until she's jumping around everywhere.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1