Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My daughter turned 8 last Saturday.  She is not rambunctious, she is basically a Disney princess.  Small woodland creatures follow her around, birds land on her, I don't recall her ever punching anything. During covid, she took close to a year of jiu jitsu (I posted about it on page 17 of this thread), but when it came time for her to actually learn a choke hold and apply it on someone, she wouldn't do it. 

She and the 3 year old are a even matchup right now despite her being literally twice his size. in six months he'll be able to demolish her (until I teach her the double collar tie technique). 

Just be prepared for the day when your son understands that punching or kicking you in the balls is painful to you and hilarious to him. And that's all I have to say about that. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Just be prepared for the day when your son understands that punching or kicking you in the balls is painful to you and hilarious to him. And that's all I have to say about that. 

My middle nephew learned that by age two. Basically run up to me or my brother, punch us in the nuts, then run away laughing his maniacal tookus off. Whata jerk. 😒

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I worked 77 hours this week, am currently mildly drunk, and let me know if you think this isn’t a ****ing fantastic idea, I’m going to book private breakdancing lessons for my 8 year old daughter. 

I think that might be more fun for her, but it would be epic if you could train her to do this:

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I worked 77 hours this week, am currently mildly drunk, and let me know if you think this isn’t a ****ing fantastic idea, I’m going to book private breakdancing lessons for my 8 year old daughter. 

Well, it's only permissible, counselor, if you guarantee video of progress. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A private breakdancing tutor probably also can supply her drugs so it’s a two for one deal.

18 years ago my son was born.  It's been tough, especially recently, but he's still with alive and kicking... just like he was when he was younger.

Everyone with younger kids, it doesn't hurt to start thinking and preparing for the time where your family unit (however the makeup is) won't look like it does today. It will hit me more when we come back from dropping him off at college - graduation was a ton of bricks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

18 years ago my son was born.  It's been tough, especially recently, but he's still with alive and kicking... just like he was when he was younger.

Everyone with younger kids, it doesn't hurt to start thinking and preparing for the time where your family unit (however the makeup is) won't look like it does today. It will hit me more when we come back from dropping him off at college - graduation was a ton of bricks.

Mines going out the door to college Sunday.  I can't say I feel worried or empty or anything...mostly just insanely curious to see where he takes himself.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So, my granddaughter turned 18 the other week. There are no longer any non adults in my direct family anymore. Her parents lived with me in Virginia until she was almost a year old. She is so sweet.

I wasn’t sure whether to love this post or be sad for you. In any event, Im super glad she’s a sweety and clearly she takes after you.

• Like 2

The CDC Milestone app is the truth.

I got it from my pediatrician after realizing some childcare providers start suspecting **** that requires more specialized treatment, like speech therapy, if things don't go the way they expect kids to develop.

Some talk less because that's part of their early personality, I saw it in my 2nd daughter she had a different soul in her then my oldest the second I saw her.  It was that obvious to me every child is truly different after that.

Got my cousin to use it, says it helps calm him down on everyone's opinion on certain milestones, but way more granual with respect to different types of skills.  Motion and language are different.

My current daycare confirmed without realizing it my oldest hides how smart she is from them still, and rattles off everything she's learned when she's home.  They happy she's counting and I know she can do addition already.  At 18 months and her 1st daycare center she'd stand holding a toy by a door, her back to it, and if it was left open and unattended she dropped the toy and ran out the room.

What kinda milestone is that?

That's different then social skills.  Younger medical folks get it, this stuff on YouTube is better then what we had when we were kids and just as good or better then what may be playing at a daycare center, or even being taught.  Way more liberal on the screen time, and more concerned of the obsession with electronic devices they zone out on.

But those videos, Playlist, and channels are more centered on getting ready for pre-k then how to be a 4 year old and interact with other 4 year olds. Easily the 1st year of her life I didn't teach my oldest to dap or high-five because of COVID.  Not surprised how much she marches to her own beat because me and her be downstairs by ourselves a lot when I was working remote.

She hits her social category milestones, so to me, I shouldn't allow energy towards anxiety on that.

• Like 1