Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

My son loves a book called "I Will Take a Nap". It's an Elephant and Piggiey book for early readers. I can relate because without giving it away, Elephant wants to take a nap, his best friend joins him, starts to snore, ruins his nap, and makes him cranky. Great story. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

My son loves a book called "I Will Take a Nap". It's an Elephant and Piggiey book for early readers. I can relate because without giving it away, Elephant wants to take a nap, his best friend joins him, starts to snore, ruins his nap, and makes him cranky. Great story. 

My son is partial to Go the **** to Sleep, narrated by Samuel J Jackson. 

Spoiler

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

42 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My son is partial to Go the **** to Sleep, narrated by Samuel J Jackson. 

Reveal hidden contents

Mine liked Walter the Farting Dog

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Mine liked Walter the Farting Dog

This hits a little close to home. 

Here”s Harper my farty dog (she just stepped on one of those sticky mouse traps…..she’s farty and kinda dumb….also the best dog ever)

IMG_5952.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

I used to love playing football. I don't know why I stopped playing. But somewhere along the lines I started going to class and playing basketball and running and just forgot about the fun of playing football. But it's just fun to play football with my boys

This is so weird because of how much I love and follow football. I'm watching it right now. But I guess I don't see football games in the streets or parks any more. So I can't just join in. But it's weird that it's been so long since I've even though of buying a ball

• Thumb up 2

Steve Allen said: “Do not allow children to mix drinks. It is unseemly and they use too much vermouth.”

Eight seems a little old. You should have started with this board book in the crib.

But I suppose it’s never too late to start.

How will you feel when the kid is visiting the neighbors and the Mom asks what he’d like to drink and he replies “An Old Fashioned”.

What other sinful activities will you be Introducing the young child to?

IMG_5555.jpeg

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My grandfather taught me to make a martini around 9 or 10. A VERY specific martini. 

10 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Steve Allen said: “Do not allow children to mix drinks. It is unseemly and they use too much vermouth.”

Nailed it. 

• Thumb up 2

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a hot take once you get past the defensive self deprecation and personal information. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2024/02/23/family-parenting-sleepover-kids-safety-sexual-assault/72353923007/

My 8-year-old daughter got her first sleepover invite. There's no way she's going.

It’s not paywalled, just read it if you are interested.

From the article:

My daughter doesn't understand the risks that I know about after having been exposed to sexual abuse by a babysitter when I was 12. She doesn't know the things I know from working as an attorney reading case after case, bad law after bad law, about child abuse. She doesn't know that most often it's those closest to us, those who have intimate access, who violate our trust and our physical integrity. 

My concern about sleepovers is rooted in my own experiences.

I am a guy.  My experiences at sleepovers were playing video games and watching movies until sunrise.  Started in 3rd or 4th grade... but I don't think my parents were close with my friends parents. 

As a parent we only had our kids (one of each gender) sleepover with close family friends.  Especially daughter.  Basically we have to have a strong track record with both parents.  Actually, her BFFs mom wss more strict.  There were probably some parties that she missed.  

Just people neex to understand we all have boundaries.

• Like 1

Yes, agreed. The author seems to want to write articles on parenting that are entirely colored by her own unfortunate experience. My daughter had a sleepover last night. It was at the house of our close friends. I wouldn’t let her sleep over at a friends house if we don’t know the parents. This doesn’t seem complicated. 

• Like 2

I think the article headlne should be, "You may be a nice person, but this is why my child is not sleeping over at your house".   And she needn't really feel too defensive over her stance either.  Just like, "when I was your age, my parents let me freely wander around the neighborhood for hours --- this is why I don't let my kids do that."  I think my wife and I had this discussion early about our daughter and I was shocked when she did say "No, we will pick her up late...".   Maybe I even thought "thats needlessly mistrusting", but she is my wife and I wasn't hard over on fighting it. 

Also missing from this discussion, her husband?  Seems like from one of her other articles she is re-married with a blended family.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I think the article headlne should be, "You may be a nice person, but this is why my child is not sleeping over at your house".   And she needn't really feel too defensive over her stance either.  Just like, "when I was your age, my parents let me freely wander around the neighborhood for hours --- this is why I don't let my kids do that."  I think my wife and I had this discussion early about our daughter and I was shocked when she did say "No, we will pick her up late...".   Maybe I even thought "thats needlessly mistrusting", but she is my wife and I wasn't hard over on fighting it. 

Also missing from this discussion, her husband?  Seems like from one of her other articles she is re-married with a blended family.  

Yea, there is a term for that, a "sleep under."  I didn't come up with the name, but it's a thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/11/style/sleepunders-lateovers-sleepovers.html

• 4 weeks later...

Today I got word my daughter’s friend spent all day throwing up. Then of another thread. So I asked her, were these two wonderful young ladies at the party you attended on Sunday? You bet they were. 

Present situation: I’ve washed out this bucket 8 times or so. My kid is miserable.

God save me from children’s parties. This is going to be a long night. 

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Pedialyte and Gatorade.... food poisoning, I presume.

Food poisoning is the most likely explanation since they’re all sick at the same time. She can’t keep anything down yet, not even a sip of water. We’ve all been there, it’s miserable. So we’re up watching anime. 

• Sad 1

I guess "we have all been there" -- but I clearly can remember the two times that I had food poisoning.  Once, my dad gave my brother and I it with his Christmas roast.  Oh, mom was pissed and he was like, "It wasn't the roast!"  

Worse I had it was business trip.  My wife's family had a party the previous night -- they grilled kalbi... I swore it was a bit uncooked --  and I flew to a noon-ish meeting the next morning.  This was the first time I was meeting with these people.  I felt it during the flight, sweaty, stomach farting through my mouth.  Made it to the meeting, "I am Fergasun, working for Company XYZ... glad to be here, I am new."  15 minutes later -- go to the bathroom... no... this ain't happening.... puuuuke!!!!  Ok, I will be better. 10 minutes later, nearly just went into a trash can in the meeting, but made it to the bathroom again. Ok, I'm done!  "Hey Boss, I am sick, going to the hotel!!!".  At least they let me check in!  6 hours of sleep later, I felt a lot better.  My wife also swore up and down, it wasn't the meat there.  

What you can tell from this is that whoever messed up won't admit they messed up.  My mom sure did microwave a lot of food after my dad grilled it after he got us sick.  

Yeah it’s memorable. Popeyes sold me some under cooked chicken once. Hit me right I a pulled up at home. Didn’t make it to the bathroom, I fouled every container shaped object on my way to it. Fruit bowl, potted plant, and trash can. I spent a full 24 hours unable to keep down a sip of water. This was more than twenty years ago and I remember clear as day. Food poisoning sucks. 

Imagine what those cruise lines with norovirus outbreaks were like. Same symptoms but like a thousand people at once… trapped together on a boat. Stuff of nightmares.

Worst case of food poisining I had was after a dinner with a client & coworker at Ray's on the River in Atlanta. The client ordered a lobster & asked if one of us wanted one of the claws. Sure, I'll smash that. I'll spare you the details. I was up all night. I'm guessing it was the claw cracker that wasn't clean & I used it to crack the claw. Client & co-worker were fine. I was miserable until 4-5PM the next day. 

Sorry you had to go through that with your daughter. It's miserable...

Posted (edited)

Yea, I don't remember what caused my memorable bout.  What I remember is drinking half water/half apple juice to try to stay hydrated, but it all coming up.  After the 10th time, all the stomach acid was gone so puking didn't even burn.  It was just like drinking in reverse.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Update, I didn’t sleep last night. 7 other kids she knows had a similar night. All seven were at the same party and attend the same school so it could have happened at either place. Not sure what they ate but it messed them up. All seven seem to have gotten over the worst of it though.

• Like 2