Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

21 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

So why not I.R. him with some silly injury claim and make sure he stays in DC? I'm good with them making a spot on the 53 for him, but just saying, I.R. stashing is an option. 

Didn't the nfl make a rule to stop teams from stashing healthy players on the I.R? 

Plus what would Sims have to gain from this? 

Wouldn't he have to sign off on it and wouldn't he be better off on another teams roster or worse case their practice squad so he could continue to develop? 

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Didn't the nfl make a rule to stop teams from stashing healthy players on the I.R? 

Wouldn't he have to sign off on it and wouldn't he be better off on another teams roster or worse case their practice squad so he could continue to develop? 

Dunno, seems like it happens every year, but maybe that's an antiquated notion. 

Happy to sit back and hear more opinions on your questions, for enlightenment. 

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

I don't know the exact rules, but you're pretty much spot on. Players that can pass a physical can essentially force their way off IR (Nate Kaeding did this). Plus you still have to pay them their entire salary (which also counts against the cap). And IR players are generally ineligible to practice or play (with the exception of two players that can be pulled off IR during the season). So practically you can't IR players with fake injuries anymore.

53 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I wouldn't want to use the I.R. designated to return spot for him anyway.  We only get 2 and if I'm not mistaken they're required to miss 8 weeks once it's applied.

Tis true. Also, keep in mind the team only kept 5 WRs last year. And the #5 wideout was Quick, who caught 6 balls for 76 yards (on 8 total targets). For the year. So the #6 WR is basically someone who will rarely see the filed and rarely play (outside of possibly some special teams). Even with injuries, the #6 WR would rarely play. There's really no reason to keep Quick over Sims unless: (1) the team thinks Sims sucks and will never amount to anything so why bother with him; or (2) Quick is so vastly superior in special teams that the team feels the need to keep him for the difference in special teams value. It appears neither of these situations seem to be true.

8 hours ago, redskinss said:

No, there really is no such enforceable rule.  What limits this is cap management (IRed players still count to cap), IRed players can't practice with the team and can't even attend meetings (there is a 6 week rule if the player makes the final 53, IIRC). It is also season ending unless the player is put on IR after he makes the 53 then it is 8 weeks before the player can return to active. I also think it is considered a year for contract purposes (that may only be true if he hits the 53). Of course, some of the details may have changed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I wouldn't want to use the I.R. designated to return spot for him anyway.  We only get 2 and if I'm not mistaken they're required to miss 8 weeks once it's applied.

You only get two but you don't have to designate anybody.  They do need to make the final 53 though.

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I laughed. But in truth I see Simms as having real upside, Mitchell never really had that.

I dunno, both seemed to have the upside of "but he's so big, he just has to learn the rest." They're fan favorites that do well in preseason, but not really irreplaceable to the coaches. If he isn't on a practice squad or signed as deep depth to another team, I'll be surprised.

Marko Mitchell was a draft pick on a team with only one WR who was any good and he was 30.  The others included a guy whose football IQ was lower than a box of rocks, a gimp and a guy who never lived up to his billing. Even the most positive polly needed somebody to put their hope in. This year we have a guy whose done at least a solid job as a slot guy, another guy who was one of our prize FA acquisitions, a guy who looks to be on the verge of breaking out and another who has done pretty amazing things himself. Simms becoming just a solid 53rd guy would be a bonus.

Edited by Darth Tater

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Marko Mitchell was a draft pick on a team with only one WR who was any good and he was 30.  The others included a guy whose football IQ was lower than a box of rocks, a gimp and a guy who never lived up to his billing. Even the most positive polly needed somebody to put their hope in. This year we have a guy whose done at least a solid job as a slot guy, another guy who was one of our prize FA acquisitions, a guy who looks to be on the verge of breaking out and another who has done pretty amazing things himself. Simms becoming just a solid 53rd guy would be a bonus.

Or to put our WR's another way, a ok, slot guy, a injury prone 4th WR on a team that is knows for defense and running the ball is our "prize" in FA, and a #1 draft pick that has been invisible. Sounds very much like the guys surrounding Mitchell. ;)

26 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Or to put our WR's another way, a ok, slot guy, a injury prone 4th WR on a team that is knows for defense and running the ball is our "prize" in FA, and a #1 draft pick that has been invisible. Sounds very much like the guys surrounding Mitchell. ;)

This is so confusing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

You sound like a Marco Mitchell fan. :D

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You sound like a Marco Mitchell fan. :D

Huh? Just saying that all true fans of a team desperate for a young, quality WR, hope that some UDFA or low round guy is the next Rod Smith. Marko Mitchell was that guy that true fans put their hope in even though there was really no evidence that he even had the potential.  Currently we have at least 4 guys with that have actually have shown potential to be that guy. 

Edited by Darth Tater

18 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Huh? Just saying that all true fans of a team desperate for a young, quality WR, hope that some UDFA or low round guy is the next Rod Smith. Marko Mitchell was that guy that true fans put their hope in even though there was really no evidence that he even had the potential.  Currently we have at least 4 guys with that have actually have shown potential to be that guy. 

Just jokes man. 

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Just jokes man. 

But I did hope Marko Mitchell would be somewhat analogous to Rod Smith. Bronco's had only an aging Miller as their top guy and a couple of journeyman (although McCaffrey did make a good #2 to Rod Smith's #1). I also remember hoping that Todd Hugesack would become the next Kurt Warner or Jordan Palmer would turn into the next Tom Brady.

The final receivers on the 53 man roster is one of the things I'm most confused about at this time. Last year they kept 5 on the roster, assuming they do the same thing this year I see these guys as locks:

Jamison Crowder

Paul Richardson

Josh Doctson 

That leaves two other roster spots open between 

Brian Quick
Cam Sims
Darvin Kidsy
Maurice Harris
Shay Fields
Simmie Cobbs
Trey Quinn

Now last season they kept Brian Quick because they like him on Special Teams so that may repeat itself. I originally thought that Mo Harris was going to be kept but that was before his concussion two weeks ago which is back-to-back years with him having those so you have to wonder if his body is strong enough to play. I've come to the conclusion that the  think the fourth spot will be between Quick and Harris.

The Fifth spot is wide open to me but considering the Practice Squad is a must. Trey Quinn who was the last picked player in the draft who hasn't shown much at all in the preseason games were to go to the Practice Squad I don't think any teams out there will sign him. On the other hand with Cam Sims showing so much for an undrafted player with measurables like 6'5 I think he is much more likely to be taken from our practice squad then left there alone. So if it were me the 5th spot would goto Cam with Quinn on the Practice Squad. 

Do I have this right or do you think there is a better way to do this?

at this stage if Sims gets cut, our coaches are delusional. Sims might be the best option we have for these reasons.

1- he has outperformed everyone in the preseason.

2- he has size and speed that you cannot teach but you can sure utilize

3 - Doctson has all of 10 minutes of game time and 2 years of rehab time. All it takes is one dirty look from an opposing cornerback, and he is out for the season.

4- Richarson is a gamble and speedsters are always prone to get dinged

4- Crowder is a gamer and I love him,  but is not a typical #1 or even #2 and may be gone after this season

5- Mo Harris is a great replacement, but oh right he is hurt

6- Why is Brian Quick even in the conversation? He is old, had flashed nothing. Has no real upside. You keep him for one reason, to baby-sit a rookie squad. We don't have that issue.

7- You can always find another Trey Quinn in the draft, but i would keep him over Quick all day, but you don't keep him over Sims. Quinn is a slot guy. Runs good routes, and has good hands. Oh and he might be a punt returner, but there are 3-4 other guys that might be just as good on the team. Point is, he has shown nothing really special.

You keep Sims because of the high ceiling (which he does not even have to stretch to reach... lol ) and for the next 4-5 years.

This is a project worth taking on, because he has not shown glimpses of what he might be able to do, but he has actually went out and done it. All he needs is gametime opportunity. 

Honestly, I am ready to start him over Doc. seriously.

17 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

What a bonus it would be for this draft class to see Simms have a productive NFL career....HTTR.

What a bonus for this thread if we got Sims name right! :rofl89:

Edited by jbird2
add names

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

The final receivers on the 53 man roster is one of the things I'm most confused about at this time. Last year they kept 5 on the roster, assuming they do the same thing this year I see these guys as locks:

Jamison Crowder

Paul Richardson

Josh Doctson 

That leaves two other roster spots open between 

Brian Quick
Cam Sims
Darvin Kidsy
Maurice Harris
Shay Fields
Simmie Cobbs
Trey Quinn

Now last season they kept Brian Quick because they like him on Special Teams so that may repeat itself. I originally thought that Mo Harris was going to be kept but that was before his concussion two weeks ago which is back-to-back years with him having those so you have to wonder if his body is strong enough to play. I've come to the conclusion that the  think the fourth spot will be between Quick and Harris.

The Fifth spot is wide open to me but considering the Practice Squad is a must. Trey Quinn who was the last picked player in the draft who hasn't shown much at all in the preseason games were to go to the Practice Squad I don't think any teams out there will sign him. On the other hand with Cam Sims showing so much for an undrafted player with measurables like 6'5 I think he is much more likely to be taken from our practice squad then left there alone. So if it were me the 5th spot would goto Cam with Quinn on the Practice Squad. 

Do I have this right or do you think there is a better way to do this?

I think Trey Quinn makes it as he looks like he is now our primary PR and he does get snaps with the first team, From everything I've heard, unless Mo Harris' is worse off than we think (then we may IR him), he's pretty much a lock for number 4. We may actually keep 6 wr on the final 53 since we also have guys like Phil Taylor who we probably could cut and will be available later if needed.

5 minutes ago, jbird said:

at this stage if Sims gets cut, our coaches are delusional. Sims might be the best option we have for these reasons.

1- he has outperformed everyone in the preseason.

2- he has size and speed that you cannot teach but you can sure utilize

3 - Doctson has all of 10 minutes of game time and 2 years of rehab time. All it takes is one dirty look from an opposing cornerback, and he is out for the season.

4- Richarson is a gamble and speedsters are always prone to get dinged

4- Crowder is a gamer and I love him,  but is not a typical #1 or even #2 and may be gone after this season

5- Mo Harris is a great replacement, but oh right he is hurt

6- Why is Brian Quick even in the conversation? He is old, had flashed nothing. Has no real upside. You keep him for one reason, to baby-sit a rookie squad. We don't have that issue.

7- You can always find another Trey Quinn in the draft, but i would keep him over Quick all day, but you don't keep him over Sims. Quinn is a slot guy. Runs good routes, and has good hands. Oh and he might be a punt returner, but there are 3-4 other guys that might be just as good on the team. Point is, he has shown nothing really special.

You keep Sims because of the high ceiling (which he does not even have to stretch to reach... lol ) and for the next 4-5 years.

This is a project worth taking on, because he has not shown glimpses of what he might be able to do, but he has actually went out and done it. All he needs is gametime opportunity. 

Honestly, I am ready to start him over Doc. seriously.

What a bonus for this thread if we got Sims name right! :rofl89:

Why do people seem to have this injury fantasy about Doctston? Docston played in all 16 games last season and was on the field more often than all but 4 other guys (and all but 1 of those guys are guys that should get nearly 100% of the snaps!).