Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

17 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Kidsy and Sims would have to play out a contract in order to be eligible for a compensatory pick.   You don't get a compensatory pick for a player that is released or picked off the practice squad.  

Davis and Cam have already successfully "hidden" on the practice squad.  They're safe, so long as they want to stay with the Skins.

I think the Skins would trade Doctson for NE's 7th round draft choice, but they are not going to cut him.

I thought Cam and Davis were injured (not hidden on the practice squad). 

Edited by joeken24
add

Just now, joeken24 said:

I thought Cam and Davis were injured (not hidden on the practice squads). 

You're right - Cam had a high ankle sprain on the first kickoff I think.  So I guess the Skins were hiding him on injured reserve.  Davis has been on the practice squad.  He's been on the active roster for one game.  I don't really know how many weeks he was on the practice squad and how many he was inactive on the 53.  Nonetheless, I think most teams have a Davis and a Sims on their roster - players they don't want to let go, but who aren't good enough to have on the active roster.  It's not like Sims wasn't available last year if they wanted to bring him back - they activated Quinn instead.

40 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm a Mo Harris guy, I hope he gets picked up somewhere.  Those early reports out of Pats camp had him showing out and in good shape to at least make the roster.  Didnt last apparently.  They had a lot of injuries early and then other guys caught up and passed him.

Yeah that's pretty funny that we were upset that the Patriots and their goat were able to uncover the hidden jerry rice that was buried deep down inside maurice harris all along.

And now this. 

Just more proof that training camp and preseason is almost meaningless when trying to determine if someone has the talent to thrive in the nfl.

Only regular season action can prove that.

• Like 4

Based on previous comments on chances of stashing him, I presume consensus remains that Harmon is a  lock for 53.  I still wonder does he play teams. Where is Davis?? What about Cam Sims - who is ahead of who.  I cannot believe Sims's's bad luck last year we had a FA WR make the opening roster, and heck opening kickoff for the season, and then gets injured?

I am thinking Josh Rich Quinn McL Harmon Sims is the 6, Davis knows his way around the PS, and maybe kind of lucked into those teams recoveries - riding our MVP Way's coattails.

I seem to remember keeping 5 many years/not sure. Keeping 3 QBs is going to cost a spot somewhere. Jordan Reed injured may force a 4thTE to open the year... or maybe not. 3RBs frees up a spot.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Based on previous comments on chances of stashing him, I presume consensus remains that Harmon is a  lock for 53.  I still wonder does he play teams. Where is Davis?? What about Cam Sims - who is ahead of who.  I cannot believe Sims's's bad luck last year we had a FA WR make the opening roster, and heck opening kickoff for the season, and then gets injured?

I am thinking Josh Rich Quinn McL Harmon Sims is the 6, Davis knows his way around the PS, and maybe kind of lucked into those teams recoveries - riding our MVP Way's coattails.

I seem to remember keeping 5 many years/not sure. Keeping 3 QBs is going to cost a spot somewhere. Jordan Reed injured may force a 4thTE to open the year... or maybe not. 3RBs frees up a spot.

listing Doctson first doesn't make him the top receiver and Davis has been our most effective guy all preseason.  We used to keep five but that was a pretty long time ago

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

What have you seen to pick Sims over Davis?

Everything he did last preseason to make our opening roster.  And seen lots of solid camp twitter reports. It's seems like its also about fear over who can make it to the practice squad, and who cannot.  And as always for the 5/6s, who can play teams.  I am not going to anoint Davis the better teams player just yet, after the 2 muffs.

It seems like a coin flip I ask for opinions on who is above who and no one seems to know. Maybe it's Davis's year. I cannot remember if he was injured or not to start the season a year ago but if not Cam was ahead of him. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Richardson, McClaurin and Quinn are locks.

Kidsy can play inside and outside. He’s basically the only backup to Quinn.  I think he makes it.

Harmon is a rookie who has stood out.  

Cam Simms stood out all last camp and this camp.

Chesson is good on Teams.  

Davis is good on teams.  

There are going to be some interesting decisions here.

i think Doctson, Davis and Quick will end up being on the outside looking in.  

Chesson might make it, but he’s really competing with the last of the safeties/LBs for ST duties, not WR duties.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Richardson, McClaurin and Quinn are locks.

Kidsy can play inside and outside. He’s basically the only backup to Quinn.  I think he makes it.

McClaurin can play slot if they need him to

Edited by carex

57 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It seems like a coin flip I ask for opinions on who is above who and no one seems to know. Maybe it's Davis's year. I cannot remember if he was injured or not to start the season a year ago but if not Cam was ahead of him. 

Team was high on Davis last year before he tore his ACL, which gave Sims the chance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Listen, I love Kidsy. I just don't see a spot for him on a 53.

If he somehow makes the roster, there will be at least a couple surprise cuts at WR.

Because as it is, I think there will be at least one.

3 hours ago, carex said:

listing Doctson first doesn't make him the top receiver and Davis has been our most effective guy all preseason.  We used to keep five but that was a pretty long time ago

When you say "most effective", in what way exactly? On one hand, no WR has done much of anything the entire pre-season. So someone has to be best and the bar seems quite low. And I'd also add that the "top" guys really haven't played much, if at all - Docston, Richardson, Quinn, or McLaurin. So that lowers the bar even more. But Davis also has 2 catches on 3 targets. One of which was a busted coverage that left Davis so wide open, that it was basically impossible to evaluate. Anyone could have made that play. So we're basically saying he's the best based on that one catch against the Bengals reserves? Unless we want to include special teams. So I guess it's something, but it's not nearly enough to really make a proper evaluation on.

• Like 2

Maybe SloMo was late for a meeting. Or slow to pick up the playbook or terminology. Mouthed off at a coach. Its not always sheer skill that decides a players fate. As I understand it Belly runs a tight ship up there. At least our heads won't explode with him becoming Brady's go to 100 catch receiver.

I read a year ago that it was Mo Harris that made the team because Davis got injured. It seemed Cam was a lock. Maybe he is again this year. Davis is making plays in preseason but blown coverage and muffs cannot be counted on during the season.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe SloMo was late for a meeting. Or slow to pick up the playbook or terminology. Mouthed off at a coach. Its not always sheer skill that decides a players fate. As I understand it Belly runs a tight ship up there. At least our heads won't explode with him becoming Brady's go to 100 catch receiver.

I kinda think it was more he was showing out when the WR depth chart was gutted at the time he was getting opportunities.  Edelman and Thomas were both out at the beginning of camp.  Then they spent a first on N'keal Harry, Philip Dorsett is still there, Matthew Slater gets a spot for special teams and Josh Gordon came back, so that's the top 6 spots kinda locked up already. 

Once it started to fill out with guys guaranteed or likely guaranteed a spot, everybody else was camp fodder and hoping for something to happen or a spot on the PS.  But I gathered Harris started hot, but then got passed by guys in that group.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Listen, I love Kidsy. I just don't see a spot for him on a 53.

If he somehow makes the roster, there will be at least a couple surprise cuts at WR.

Because as it is, I think there will be at least one.

I don’t think he should make it, but Kidsy is basically Ryan Grant, so I won’t be shocked if Gruden keeps him.  

I find myself wishing we hadn’t signed Richardson last year - these young guys are just more intriguing to me and far cheaper.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think they can at least get out of the deal after this year. 

Eh, Next year he's got an 8.5 hit but a 6 dead cap hit so i'd be more inclined to keep him if he has a halfway decent season. Dude is a good receiver but just injury-prone. 

20 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Cut colt. Keep 2 qbs. 

• Like 1