Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I want 6 wrs. I'm totally OK with having Harmon play doctsons position, prich doing his thing, quinn primarily in the slot, and mclaurin on the field at all times. We need a backup slot player and whichever receiver left that is the most versaltile and has the best understanding of the offenses concepts.  

This is what I wanted to do post draft and I haven't seen much to sway my opinion otherwise. 

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Mike Quick is like Vintage NFL Receiver. So, @RandyHolt givin away his age. 😃

I've seen it so much that I've been thinking that maybe we have a udfa named Mike quick that I've just never noticed on film. 

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I've seen it so much that I've been thinking that maybe we have a udfa named Mike quick that I've just never noticed on film. 

Interesting, because 2 years ago, the Skins DID sign an udfa receiver named Quick.

But his name wasn't Mike.

In 2017, we signed James Quick, udfa WR out of Louisville.

• Like 1

I really like these game ‘snap count and synopsis’ articles over at Hog’s Haven. One thing that stood out is the author’s critique on Josh Doctson’s play. I know it’s been popular to dump on Doctson lately but the man will never dig himself out of the hole with this kind of play:

Josh Doctson- Let’s get to some people who actually played though, starting with Josh Doctson. He got the start, played 15 snaps and ran 7 routes against the Bengals. Doctson’s only target came on a 3rd-and-8 pass that he was not even close to catching; mainly because he lost track of the ball in the air.”

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/18/20805571/skins-stats-snaps-bengals-redskins-offense

• Like 2

You'd think almost for sure, they'd want a pure slot type receiver in the mix considering Quinn being banged up last season and thus far in the preseason, too.  Wonder if that helps S. Sims, Kidsy, etc.  I saw Harmon play some slot in camp but mostly played on the outside. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Listening to the latest Cooley at the Park and he also thinks Doctson doesn't make this team. He's high on Kidsy and my guy Steve Sims Jr. and says there are like 8 WR's who could make this team. He has Chesson making it over Doctson purely for special teams play.

He also thinks Dwayne should start week 3 and Jay's shot of sticking around past this year is contingent upon how close him and Dwayne bond and how successfully they work together. I don't know about all that, what with Kevin O'Connel waiting in the wings but we'll see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was also listening to Cooley's podcast and he seems to genuinely think Doctson probably won't make the team.. although he goes on a bit too much about Jehu Chesson as if he should,, so I am not so sure what t make of it. 

I'd be surprised, but not necessarily in a bad way.

~Bang

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Listening to the latest Cooley at the Park and he also thinks Doctson doesn't make this team. He's high on Kidsy and my guy Steve Sims Jr. and says there are like 8 WR's who could make this team. He has Chesson making it over Doctson purely for special teams play.

I dont think he makes it either. Literally the only way he makes it, IMO, is if Gruden gets itchy having so much inexperience in the WR corps. 

Because if you cut Doctson, it's Richardson and a bunch of guys who have a combined 13 total catches in their career.  And 9 of those are Quinn's. 

As promising as he thinks these young guys are as a group, I wouldnt blame him if that gave him pause.  Especially in a year where he might be on the hot seat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont think he makes it either. Literally the only way he makes it, IMO, is if Gruden gets itchy having so much inexperience in the WR corps. 

Because if you cut Doctson, it's Richardson and a bunch of guys who have a combined 13 total catches in their career.  And 9 of those are Quinn's. 

As promising as he thinks these young guys are as a group, I wouldnt blame him if that gave him pause.  Especially in a year where he might be on the hot seat.

Maybe Brian Quick makes team then.

2 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Maybe Brian Quick makes team then.

I'd be shocked by that. But it's not off the table.  But might as well keep Doctson then.  At least he has a chance of doing something. 

Quick will be one of those cuttable guys that's always available if you get desperate.  And even if he's not, his contributions were nonexistent.

We go through this routine almost every preseason.  A few young unknown later round draft picks look decent and we start assuming they are jumping over the unspectacular vets for a roster spot.  We'll see.  It is hard to get a real feel of what any of these players have to offer right now.. 

3 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

He's high on Kidsy

Kidsy seems to have good hands and gets open but the last game against against Cincy, he was chased down from behind by a second string linebacker. That lack of speed has me worried. 

11 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Kidsy seems to have good hands and gets open but the last game against against Cincy, he was chased down from behind by a second string linebacker. That lack of speed has me worried. 

He ran a 4.46 and 4.5 at his pro day and has excellent stop and start ability so his speed and athleticism should be good. Hopefully, it was an isolated incident or who knows maybe that LB you saw has some Cole Holcomb speed.

• Like 1

Yep plan on tight man no respect for our WRs. We can say keep Doctson as a vet blah blah but what if he is the worst getting off the LOS? 

Same thing for our QBs - I would blitz new or journeymen QBs all day until they burn you.

Of course our bend dont break of yesteryear especially when playing a rookie QB dictated we sat back and let rookie QBs walk all over us. I feel like this soft approach spanned a decade. And may still be a thing this season. I sure as hell hope not.

Defenses will attack us, our D will play soft. Like clockwork.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Shawn Springs was on 980 this morning and trashed our WR corps. Said if he was on an opposing team preparing to play us, he wouldn't even need to prepare or study.

And I kinda agree with him.

But based on what though?  You couldnt study any of these guys even if you wanted to because there's barely any film.  

I mean, I guess Springs has been at camp once or twice and watched these guys, he seemed to come away more pessimistic than most everybody else that watched them, collectively.

I guess I just think we havent seen enough of any of them to make much of an educated determination one way or the other.  Hell, two (Mclaurin and Quinn) of the top 3-4 essentialy havent played this preseason.  And I hadnt heard any reports from OTAs or camp that suggested either of them wasnt any good. 

Or WR corps is a total crap shoot that could go either way.  Even then, they're so young and inexperienced, it might be a year or two before we truly see what they're capable of, given how young receivers take time to develop.  But folks are sure they're garbage before they've played a down.

Having said all that, I want opposing DBs to not respect us and not prepare.  Might catch a few of them sleeping.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

Technically he doesn't fall into the receiver group, but I'm interested to see if Parham can make the team as a TE.

He's a huge "specimen", and I wonder if he has the talent to go with it.

Regarding Doctson, Gruden said he's been "running with the 1's all of camp".

That does not sound like a player on the brink of not making the team.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Not sure who would get cut for Jehu Chesson. There seems to be way too many receivers without factoring him in

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Technically he doesn't fall into the receiver group, but I'm interested to see if Parham can make the team as a TE.

He's a huge "specimen", and I wonder if he has the talent to go with it.

Parham seems like a PS at best, but surely an interesting flyer if you saw anything in him. I doubt it amounts to anything, but then again so do most PS players

• Like 1

If Reed, Quinn and Richardson are injured then I can understand not playing them BUT that gives me little hope for the start of the season. They will be rusty.

If the team is being cautious with them because they are scared of injuries then man, fire the medical/training staff and find guys you trust.

With Colt out injured and 3 of our top 4 WRs missing time, this will be a good chance to see how much of what we hear from coaching regarding chemistry timing etc, is valid.

While Doc has been running with the 1s knowing 2-4 have been injured means they haven't really had a chance to push him at all.  Sims and Harmon are thus no threat to Josh if running with the 1s all camp means a damn thing.

Lets try 6 WR

Doc Rich Quinn McLaurin....  Davis beats out Harmon based on teams.  Is Sims a lock? I am thinking Harmon may nab his spot with a few more OPIRecs, but Sims did make the team last year so I will give him the edge, for now. Harmon sure seems trending up more than Sims.

Harmon and Kidsy to PS

Edited by RandyHolt