Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I think Reed and Vernon Davis single handedly make that not the case.  However lame people think our WR corps is, our TEs have to be among the best at pass catching, which kinda moves the whole pass catching apparatus to the middle, say the 15-20 area.  You could even include CT  catching balls out of the backfield if you wanted.

Before last night, were there two better pass catching TEs on one team than those two?  If Reed is concussed into oblivion, obviously that changes things.

Reed is fragile, he's healthy for maybe half the games of a season, sitting out or playing injured through the rest. Vernon Davis went through a slump last year, I recall him dropping several easy catches. Maybe it really was just a slump or maybe his age is starting to show. Chris Thompson hasn't been so explosive ever since teams realized they should plan for wheel routes when he's on the field.

3 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

No one has really stepped up at WR so far, its kind of scary. When Robert Davis has out shined your entire squad thats a very bad thing. Has any team ever gone to a 3 tighend spread on passing downs because honestly , Reed , Davis & Sprinkle are the best hands on the field.

Frankly, I dont think we really throw it enough in the preseason for anybody to really stand out.  You look at the passing attempts around the league during the preseason and we gotta be near the bottom.  And that's with a rookie and a QB new to the offense and young WRs who need all the reps they can get.  Nathan Peterman by himself threw it 10 more times yesterday than Keenum and Haskins combined.

We're out here in the preseason trying to establish the run and be balanced.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Frankly, I dont think we really throw it enough in the preseason for anybody to really stand out.  You look at the passing attempts around the league during the preseason and we gotta be near the bottom.  And that's with a rookie and a QB new to the offense and young WRa who need all the reps they can get.  Nathan Peterman by himself threw it 10 more times yesterday than Keenum and Haskins combined.

Yeah, well that's cool and all, but where else are we going to find the plays to showcase Samaje Perine and his low-momentum bowling ball technique? 4th string RB might be the make-or-break position of the season!

Thinking it over, though, I suppose it makes sense split reps between passing and running. With how our O-Line is patched together and the left side up for grabs, they need to be judged heavily in both phases, especially with how we'll probably be a run-heavy team again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seriously concerned about Paul Richardson's productivity this year, after hearing he puts ketchup on tacos

That's the nail in the coffin, he needs to be cut immediately.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:32 AM, sportjunkie07 said:

Every one of those players you listed had a lower draft slot than doctson.. meaning they had less chances and were provided with less opportunity. Doctson has been our number 1 receiver for two years and has done nothing with it. If he wasnt highly drafted their is no way he would be our current no. 1 reciever. 

Your list also seems to ignore a player like garcon, who did much more than jdoc while having the same position. Or a player like desean Jackson who performed a lot more.

Face it dude. Docston has sucked and his production as of this point could be replaced by a slew of udfa's.. thats how bad he has been, utterly replaceable. 

That is why fans are searching for a change. Now if you want to argue that doctson has had bad qb luck or that he might need more time to unlock potential then that is a different argument. 

You're making a straw man argument though. The point wasn't whether Doctson lived up to his draft position. The point is whether he's worth a roster spot. That fact he's outdone other reasonably high picks like Taylor Jacobs or Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly shows he's at least a viable player. I think people as a whole vastly overestimate young WRs.

Ryan Grant did less than Josh Doctson, stayed on the roster for 4 years, and got a four-year, $29 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed (which was voided under dubious ground, but still) when leaving. Paul Richardson did less than Doctson through three years and still does less than Docston on a per year basis and he got a five-year, $40 million contract with $20 million in guaranteed money. Teams are desperate for even mediocre production at WR. It's not sexy or what you want from a #1 guy, but the idea "anyone" can do it is just wrong. Because almost every draft pick the last 17 years couldn't do it. And the odds a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders will be just as good seems reckless.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:47 PM, dyst said:

Richardson is definitely not #1 or #2 caliber IMO. Also, if you can't play, what good are you?

No he is not.  Oft injured, limited production, expensive, and occupying a roster spot that could go to one of the young guys to see what they've got.  I hope Richardson is the first one cut.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is outside my boundaries, so what kind of cap hit is there, if we cut him ?

https://overthecap.com/player/paul-richardson/2984/

I am certainly not a cap expert either, but the way I see it, he received a 12.5 mil signing bonus, prorated over 5 years is 2.5 per, but year 1 was 2018 and already behind us, which leaves 10 mil.  4 mil of his 2019 salary became guaranteed in March, so cutting the cord today would leave a 14 mil cap hit, which would be broken up over 2019 and 2020 since we are past June 1st.   Skins would save 5.8 mil when compared to his current cap number for 2019 (12.85 - 7), and then will have 7 mil in dead cap space in 2020, where his current cap number for 2020 is 8.5 mil if we kept him.  

If someone else more knowledgeable knows otherwise, please correct me.

I feel we have seen p richs ceiling, and it's expensive and not very dependable, I'd rather start shedding the contract now and see what the young guys can do.  

doctson / McLaurin / Quinn / davis /

c sims / Harmon are the 6 I want.  If they cut doctson, I'm not losing any sleep over it, but those other 5 I will be disappointed if we lose one.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading up on Hunter:

New England is likely bringing Hunter in to find a deep threat receiver, that comes with a low price tag

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patriotswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/23/report-former-steelers-wr-justin-hunter-working-out-with-patriots/amp/

maybe skins are looking to replace p richs contract with a much cheaper one, if Hunter can adequately serve as a deep threat?  

Only thing with Hunter is I remember him from u Tenn, had a ton of potential, but hasnt been able to put it all together.  Career high 28 catches.  I'd rather roll with our young guys.

Looking at Justin Hunter probably means Doctson is on his way out. 

On 8/21/2019 at 7:38 PM, bakedtater1 said:

Former first round pick 7th over all Kevin white looking for work..haha looking at you j doc lol

Certainly not forgetting about Kevin White either.

I would risk it all and trade Doctson and Trent to the Cheifs for Tyreek Hill and a draft pick.....get a dynamic punter returner and receiver.

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

You're making a straw man argument though. The point wasn't whether Doctson lived up to his draft position. The point is whether he's worth a roster spot. That fact he's outdone other reasonably high picks like Taylor Jacobs or Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly shows he's at least a viable player. I think people as a whole vastly overestimate young WRs.

Ryan Grant did less than Josh Doctson, stayed on the roster for 4 years, and got a four-year, $29 million contract with $14.5 million guaranteed (which was voided under dubious ground, but still) when leaving. Paul Richardson did less than Doctson through three years and still does less than Docston on a per year basis and he got a five-year, $40 million contract with $20 million in guaranteed money. Teams are desperate for even mediocre production at WR. It's not sexy or what you want from a #1 guy, but the idea "anyone" can do it is just wrong. Because almost every draft pick the last 17 years couldn't do it. And the odds a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders will be just as good seems reckless.

The fact that all of those guys that you've mentioned sucked does not negate the fact that Doctson sucked as well. 

Ideally draft position shouldnt matter, but it is a fact that draft position 100% matters in the nfl. Teams build and plan around their high draft picks and have more resources tied up in them. This equates to more opportunities. Of everyone you listed, Doctson had the best opportunity. He has had more first teams reps and playtime than likely anyone on your list. Most of the guys you listed were afterthoughts and none were given the starting job like doctson has been given... The opportunity has not been the same and to compare them on equal footing is ignorant. 

Docston had been handed the starting role for possibly the worst WR unit in the league for a couple years now and has done zip to prove he belongs. He didn't earn it, except for his draft position.. that's why draft position matters. 

Additionally all the guys that would supplant docston have been injured. Those contenders at wide reciever arent hurt this year though, which means doctson will shortly be off this team because his production to date is replaceable by others at a cheaper rate. That's how bad his production has been. Fact.

Doctson still has talent of an NFL receiver imo.. but it is a's a 3rd or 4th option and maybe 30 targets a year. That won't work on our team, because he doesn't play special teams. 

Like I said if you want to argue that doctson has had bad qb play or still needs time to unlock potential then that is a different argument that at least contains some logic. 

Similarly related, one of the best moves the nfl has seen was when Seattle signed Whitehurst to a ridiculous large contract, quickly realized their 3rd rounder Wilson was better and ate that contract to allow Wilson to play. It resulted in superbowl wins. That is rare in the NFL because management is too egotistical to admit mistakes and take gambles.

Quinn was injured from bumping into a teammate in pregame = Kidsy.  I guess that means Kidsy > S. Sims.

At some point last year, Vernon Davis was playing with a Kielbasa for a finger. He played through it but it was obvious he was injured.  I caught a glimpse of that ****ing sausage sized finger.  I don't think it was when he had the easy drops though. For the hundredth time I love seeing V Davis RACs.   If Reed is out I wonder who is our number 3. Sprinkle seems a lock (I wasn't sure 3 days ago) but someone else will be in the mix.

Edited by RandyHolt

when the Redskins declined to pick up his fifth year option that meant they were theoretically okay with him leaving the team just seven months from now, if he's not playing up to snuff now why give him a spot that could be taken by someone who will be here next year

Damn the 8 doesn't even include Doctson :ols:

To get to 53... 3 QBs 3RBs 9 OL... I think 6.

Doctson Richardson Quinn McLaurin Davis Sims or Harmon

PS Harmon or Sims Kidsy Sims 

Prediction Chesson will be on the active roster at some point this year.

Edited by RandyHolt

9 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I think the Redskins will keep eight

1. Quinn

2. Richardson

3. McLaurin

4. Harmon

5. Davis

6. Cam Sims

7. Kidsy (special teamer)

8. Chesson or Steve Sims (special teamer)

???? Doctson ????

I've never heard of a team keeping 8, it would leave you so thin in other areas.  Even 7 wr is rare.  I'm rooting for the top 6, although I'd rather swap doc for p rich.  I'm hoping Davis showed enough on teams, those 2 fumble recoveries Thur won't hurt.  I'd be shocked if 1 of the last 3 listed make it, let alone 2.  But you never know.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I've never heard of a team keeping 8, it would leave you so thin in other areas.  Even 7 wr is rare.  I'm rooting for the top 6, although I'd rather swap doc for p rich.  I'm hoping Davis showed enough on teams, those 2 fumble recoveries Thur won't hurt.  I'd be shocked if 1 of the last 3 listed make it, let alone 2.  But you never know.

Yea. They kept 6 last year. So maybe they're giving Kidsy and Sims a lot of looks to gain some possible compensatory picks if possible (all bit it low possibility). I think Doctson is out of here because you can't hide Davis or Cam on the practice squad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Yea. They kept 6 last year. So maybe they're giving Kidsy and Sims a lot of looks to gain some possible compensatory picks if possible (all bit it low possibility). I think Doctson is out of here because you can't hide Davis or Cam on the practice squad.

Kidsy and Sims would have to play out a contract in order to be eligible for a compensatory pick.   You don't get a compensatory pick for a player that is released or picked off the practice squad.  

Davis and Cam have already successfully "hidden" on the practice squad.  They're safe, so long as they want to stay with the Skins.

I think the Skins would trade Doctson for NE's 7th round draft choice, but they are not going to cut him.