Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While they can cut Smith after next season, there is still a lot of dead money to deal with.  I think Alex has to start for 2 more seasons, no matter what.  I’d rather just stick it out through 2019 with Gruden and everyone else, see what happens.  When it doesn’t happen, clean house and start building the right way.

That would be my preference too...barring something embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

While I understand the need, I dread getting on the QB carousel once again.

But I think that's why it's best to ride the carousel before it becomes a need. The Chiefs at this time last year had two options at QB who could make them a playoff team. There are countless directions you can go as an organization in that scenario. So, even if Smith steadies his play here and becomes a staple for 3 years, it doesn't hurt to still make a move for an heir apparent. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But I think that's why it's best to ride the carousel before it becomes a need. The Chiefs at this time last year had two options at QB who could make them a playoff team. There are countless directions you can go as an organization in that scenario. So, even if Smith steadies his play here and becomes a staple for 3 years, it doesn't hurt to still make a move for an heir apparent. 

Yep, I understand the need but the Chiefs have Andy Reid and whoever else hand-picking a replacement for AS to match his system.  We'll just grab some high level draft pick and hope he works out.  Might as well just pick a name from a hat.  And then it will create the ever popular DC QB controversy (and multiple ES threads...).

Just now, SkinFanInMinn said:

Yep, I understand the need but the Chiefs have Andy Reid and whoever else hand-picking a replacement for AS to match his system.  We'll just grab some high level draft pick and hope he works out.  Might as well just pick a name from a hat.  And then it will create the ever popular DC QB controversy (and multiple ES threads...).

Well, you and are stumbling onto why it sucks to root for an organization you don't have faith in. :)

Of course, if the people picking the next guy don't know what they're doing or get it wrong, then it's all moot. But, I would just rather have a potential guy in-house a year earlier rather than a year later.

To me, it's the difference between how 2011 went vs. 2015. By the last couple games of 2010 we knew we were moving on from McNabb and we didn't make a legitimate move to get a viable replacement. We rolled the dice with two journeymen and, well, lost 10 of our final 12 games once the "scheme" wins were exhausted early in the year. In 2015, we had a guy who had been in the system for a year and understood how everything went. He got some sporadic experience in 2012-14, so it's not apples-to-apples with my scenario where we draft a guy. But, after a quiet start, it was clear we had a viable QB and we flourished down the stretch with some big offensive games and a playoff berth. 

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Whether we go 6-10 to 10-6 is up for grabs.

Championship or step aside, get out of the way, and let someone else try. 

We already know that Smith ain't leading anyone to a Championship.

So essentially the organization is lying the fans, selling snake oil, overhyping any and all of the wins, just in order to keep paying the bills. 

Tread water. Hope that no one notices that they are effectively ok with just being average. 

They knew. I knew. Most all know now. If you actively make a move at QB knowing that the previous two organizations effectively said he was not a championship QB, then the organization is announcing to the world they don't have any desire to win a championship. Like I said, just make enough money to keep paying the bills. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have a few different competing thoughts on this.

A.  I think this defense and running game now is >>>> 2017 season.  As it should be.  Peterson >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robert Kelley.  And the defense is upgraded and healthy.  So i think its apples to oranges to compare.

B. I get wanting to enjoy a win.  i am in that camp.  I am going to enjoy the week heading to the Dallas game.

C.  Alex to me has been underwhelming.  Disappointing as to my expectations. Not awful, though.  So so.

D.  It's early the dude might take off, yet.  And I don't care if they end up with an 11-5 record or something unexpected if Alex is part of that even if I am not blown away by the dude.  i think the book on him and the team for that matter is still open.  Big game coming up.   

Usually, I agree with you but we are fans of a poorly run franchise so we need to gratefully embrace whatever wins the team and the QB & coaches willing to be here produce.  Sure there are warts, I know there are warts, but I don't see them today, no sir, today everything is beautiful!

What bothers me is why does a 34 year old veteran leader seem so unprepared and befuddled?  He is so slow to react and even Jay at his presser said he's holding the ball too long and he's getting stuck on his reads.

The only reason to sign a guy like this (Dinosaur) is so that he can use the entire offseason and all his knowledge to hit the ground running by week 1 and if not week 1 then shortly after.

Alex has the deer in the headlights look, similar to a 22 year old QB.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What bothers me is why does a 34 year old veteran leader seem so unprepared and befuddled?  He is so slow to react and even Jay at his presser said he's holding the ball too long and he's getting stuck on his reads.

The only reason to sign a guy like this (Dinosaur) is so that he can use the entire offseason and all his knowledge to hit the ground running by week 1 and if not week 1 then shortly after.

Alex has the deer in the headlights look, similar to a 22 year old QB.

I’m not going to pretend to know why this is, but I think part of it has to be a new scheme being asked to do things he hasn’t really done before.  He’s just not that dude who’s going to take his drop and the ball is out and that’s exactly how Jay’s offense is supposed to roll.

20 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Usually, I agree with you but we are fans of a poorly run franchise so we need to gratefully embrace whatever wins the team and the QB & coaches willing to be here produce.  Sure there are warts, I know there are warts, but I don't see them today, no sir, today everything is beautiful!

I actually said to celebrate the win.  So not sure where we are disagreeing.  But I have no issues with people who have some concerns -- I do, too.  

My take on the team remains -- I don't know.  Depends on the week.  But both weeks that we came off of losses, I've been selling to let the movie play out and predicted wins after those loses.  Big game coming up. 

Among other things, I'd like to see this change.  But I am far from throwing the towel on it.  Hopefully its coming. ?

Grant PaulsenVerified account @granthpaulsen
FollowingFollowing @granthpaulsen
More

Jay Gruden's offenses ranked 10th, 10th, 2nd and 14th in yards per play over the last four seasons. The #Redskins rank 26th right now. They haven't finished a season rated that low since 2004, Joe Gibbs' first season back.

Alex Smith is fine.

We are running the ball way more now that we have a competent back.

There's a reason why we were a pass first O the last few years....

Alex Smith can dink and dunk his way down the field. They just need to do a better job finishing drives with TD's instead of FG's, and not coming out flat the 2nd half.

It's not sexy, but it can be effective and is within Alex's limits.

Until I see/hear otherwise, I’m going to assume that Smith’s number one problem is that Gruden is trying too hard to utilize a large number of plays, which is affecting Smith’s ability to get the execution down. 

Problems two and three (IMO) are the talent (interior oline and receivers), and Smith not being much of a rhythm passer.  

The good oof news is that #1 can improve with time and some simplification of the play book   The down side is that #2 and 3 aren’t likely to change anytime soon.  

I will say that this was an even more impressive win considering the lack of Thompson and Crowder.  

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While they can cut Smith after next season, there is still a lot of dead money to deal with.  I think Alex has to start for 2 more seasons, no matter what.  I’d rather just stick it out through 2019 with Gruden and everyone else, see what happens.  When it doesn’t happen, clean house and start building the right way.

Ugh please no to Gruden. He's shown he's nothing more than a mediocre coach.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:47 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I recall this from back then as well, that it was more a demand by Alex’s camp, that he didn’t want to go to a team drafting a QB.  Given his experiences, I can see that.

Given the TEAMS experience I wouldn't have expected anything other than drafting a QB.

Smiths best years on both teams was when he was sweating being replaced by a rookie QB. Take out those years (2011-2012 and 2017) and he is actually a bad not mediocre QB.

The part that the Redskins forgot to pay attention to was that BOTH teams, despite Alex playing the best football of his career, traded Alex away and went with the new  ? QB. Something no team in history does with an actual franchise QB.

It cannot be argued that the Redskins are run by anything other than imbeciles, or those who are content with more 8-8 seasons. Let it sink in, the actual goal at best, is to go 8-8 every year.

Gruden is absolutely not the problem.  I laugh at redskins fans thinking we should be better than we are. This is a near .500 ball club and the coach actually gets us to that.  That's actually really hard to do.    We need to give Alex a real supporting cast.  

Doctson is a #4 WR, Richardson is a no better than a #3 and Crowder is a #3 as well.  CT is just a 3rd down back and Jordan Reed is often injured and cant have an impact on a game if he is the only weapons teams respect.  

No one i mean no one is respected on this offense outside of Reed

51 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Gruden is absolutely not the problem.  I laugh at redskins fans thinking we should be better than we are. This is a near .500 ball club and the coach actually gets us to that.  That's actually really hard to do.    We need to give Alex a real supporting cast.  

Doctson is a #4 WR, Richardson is a no better than a #3 and Crowder is a #3 as well.  CT is just a 3rd down back and Jordan Reed is often injured and cant have an impact on a game if he is the only weapons teams respect.  

No one i mean no one is respected on this offense outside of Reed

Alex will waste any weapon we get.

He’s constantly missing wide open receivers.

How important is turnover differential and rushing to some of you? 

Alex Smith led teams:

2018– #4 through 6 weeks

With Chiefs:

2017– #2 

2016– #1

2015– #2

Alex Smith will also be a contributor to an offense that will always have a shot at  finishing top 10 in rushing. Earlier post:

KC top 10 rushing yardage years Alex rushed for:

2013— 431 yards (6th in QB rushing)

2015— 498 yards (4th in QB rushing)

2017— 355 yards (6th in QB rushing)

KC outside of top 10 yardage years Alex rusher for:

**2014— 254 yards (8th in QB rushing) Team finished 11th

2016— 154 yards (17th in QB rushing) Team finished 19th

The below link shares some statistics of value Alex has provided while playing just average as a thrower to date. Value in form of helping to sustain drives, time of possession, yards per drive:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2018

#2 in average time of possession per drive #8 in average yards per drive

#12 in points per drive  

(I wondered why I hadn’t seen the typical guys splash the boards with these Football Outsider stats lol. Somehow the teams been average to above in many categories while not appearing to play his best)

Stats dont tell the whole story in the least bit, but these speak to some of the Alex “intangibles” that are easily overlooked and contribute to winning.This is not a case to state Alex is an elite QB, just an average to above average one (#8-25 depending on team, supporting cast and fortuitous bounces). 

It appears there’s room for growth with Jay and Alex in the passing game, especially 3rd and long. Get that going and can be a good year. 

I think the receiver issue is overstated, I agree with Cooley on that point.  Guys are open, they aren't being thrown to enough though. I've heard the same thing to a degree on Sunday.  

do they have a true #1 WR?  nope.  Are their receivers hot?  nope.  But its not like no one is getting open.  Like Cooley said plenty of big plays to be had. I looked at it myself and saw what he meant and posted some of those clips here.  If Alex prefers the check down then we need Thompson in play.  but it looks like teams are clamping down on Thompson and forcing Alex to throw down field.  As I am typing this they are replaying plays from the game on 980 where Cooley said Alex could have thrown deeper to an open receiver.

While I was no fan of the trade it wasn't because I thought Alex stinks or is even just mediocre.  It was because of the roster match and his age.  I actually thought he'd play better than this.  I thought he's good but not great. But yeah if this is who Alex is.... so so but at least he doesn't make mistakes.  I could live with it only if the defense is killer and the running game is great.  In other words, the passing game isn't the strength of the team but he won't mess up things for the other units by throwing an INT.

I get some here are trying to sell what we are seeing is good.  Hey they won last Sunday.  Yeah I got they win, its great.  But when you have three turnovers -- you typically win big especially when your RB is averaging about 6 yards a carry.  It's not typically a struggle to the end and you win by the skin of your teeth. I saw Eli light up that same defense the week before -- the same Eli who right now is a national punch line.

So for me if this is who he is.  I am looking hard at the draft this year for a QB of the future.  This version of Alex has happy feet.  If you get to him early, you can it seem get into his head and effect his timing in the pocket and it effects his accuracy and mindset about throwing down the field.  Joe Gibbs used to say the two assets he values the most in a QB is toughness and courage.  And I don't see that in Alex in the pocket.    H's not as bad as Eli on that front.  But he has some Eli traits in that he plays to me eyes a little rattled in the pocket where he doesn't want to get hit.

If this is Alex and we need to be sold that its somewhat of an acquired taste -- where its look this is who he is but he's not going to blow up the offense and we are undervaluing that trait.  I don't agree.   But I do agree with those here who say he probably will start playing better.  I am hoping he does.  Hopefully that starts this week.  The protection hasn't been hot.  And I agree we don't have the best receivers.  But watching these games the # problem with the offense is IMO Alex himself.   That has to change.   And I have some confidence that it will change.

14 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

They knew. I knew. Most all know now. If you actively make a move at QB knowing that the previous two organizations effectively said he was not a championship QB, then the organization is announcing to the world they don't have any desire to win a championship. Like I said, just make enough money to keep paying the bills. 

I agree that their goal is to tread water and not crash this season to save jobs because Dan has no patience for a rebuild.

These are some of the same people in the building that traded for McNabb and RG3 and didn't feel Kirk was worth the money at each stage of the negotiation.  Sort of like the failure of the Cleveland Browns over the years, screwing up the QB position in every way imaginable is the hallmark of this franchise -- starting with Dan's first move which was to dump Brad Johnson for Jeff George.

Just for sport, I read back the articles about Jason Campbell when they took him and a bunch of draft geeks said the dude is a 2nd rounder at best, and the Redskins over drafted him and he's very raw.   Read the article about how Dan was in love with Brady Quinn and he had to be talked out of it.  Danny apparently also was the one who pushed for Ramsey when he was drafted.  

Granted maybe Dan doesn't have his hands on this one but there is some history here for getting things wrong at that position.  So when the Redskins FO are telling beat reporters all off season about how Alex isn't just treading water from the past -- but that he's an upgrade over Kirk with even Jay kicked in on it saying without a doubt he's an upgrade.  And then we got Bruce's buddy Polian selling on TV that Alex is an upgrade.  I think they might actually not have known that this would be the play from the dude.  If they really thought this would be his play -- why hype Alex an upgrade -- because they'd only look foolish later.   So I think this FO genuinely bought all in.  

I think its plausible that they were not among the people that actually believed Alex is limited.  This franchise isn't exactly brimming with competence when it comes to evaluating the QB position.

Hopefully it picks up.  Otherwise I don't think its nuts to go QB in this draft.  I was actually ok going QB in the previous draft but according to Cooley-Sheehan they made a good faith deal with Alex's agent that they wouldn't draft a QB high last year.  I presume that agreement doesn't extend to this year.

Archived