Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Richardson is a good #2-3 type just like he was in Seattle.  He has speed and good hands.  He might actually be the best receiver on the team right now.  As for Doctson, just going back at the Arizona game and seeing him get open made me feel better about him -- I liked the pick when we made it, I admit I am concerned-down about him -- but I am not ruling him a bust just yet.  6 Tds in his first season as a WR isn't that bad.  He's done little so far this season but what receiver is having a good year -- even Crowder is on pace for career lows.

Maurice Harris had some moments against the Saints maybe its a breakout game for him today.  I just read the Raiders are shopping Amari Cooper.  I'd look at that if the deal is right.  

Richardson might be a 2 here or even a 1, but on a team with decent WR's he's more like a 3-4 (which is what he was in Seattle). I'm not really impressed with him. But he might be the best WR we have, but I think that says more about how bad we are at that position group.

As far as Doctson is concerned, I really don't care about the TD's. I care much more about his catch %, and his in deep in "bust" territory. As for Harris, I've always liked him, but I'm not expecting he world out of him either. He's a good player for a 7th rounder and I think he's likely a better player than Doctson at this point. But that's not saying a hell of a lot right now.

23 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

how are you guys enjoying purgatory?

I'm not sure I'd have Luck in Heaven though. He's more like Limbo, or something. Otherwise................

The biggest issue with the WR corps is Doctson can be covered 1:1 and essentially forgotten about.  Which means all the other guys have additional coverage.  

If it was me, I’d bench Doctson and try Harris as a starter a few games and see if that worked better.  I’d also try Doctson in the slot a bit so he doesn’t have to work off a jam, and could possibly use body position.  

However our coaching staff isn’t nearly creative enough to try this type of thing, so they keep trotting Doctson out as an outside starter with no results.  

Whatever.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The biggest issue with the WR corps is Doctson can be covered 1:1 and essentially forgotten about.  Which means all the other guys have additional coverage.  

If it was me, I’d bench Doctson and try Harris as a starter a few games and see if that worked better.  I’d also try Doctson in the slot a bit so he doesn’t have to work off a jam, and could possibly use body position.  

However our coaching staff isn’t nearly creative enough to try this type of thing, so they keep trotting Doctson out as an outside starter with no results.  

Whatever.

Well, if you believe what comes out of the locker room, Doctson tends to hear "footsteps", and that is why he drops so many balls. Running over the middle of the field where there are LB's might just make it worse.

48 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, if you believe what comes out of the locker room, Doctson tends to hear "footsteps", and that is why he drops so many balls. Running over the middle of the field where there are LB's might just make it worse.

Possibly, but it would be nice to try something different.

40 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is not the same Panthers team that went 15-1 in 2016.

A more fair comparison would be this - 

Since the start of 2015, Cousins is 10-0-1 when his team rushed for 100+ yards and got at least 2 takeaways. The average margin of victory was 11.7. The Redskins scored less than 27 points in just 2 of those 11 games. In games where his team rushed for 125+ and got 3+ takeaways, he was 3-0 with an average margin of 13.3, and the team never scored less than 31.

I think it's safe to say that the margin of victory would have been higher with a better QB. For reference, the Redskins posted 125+ yards rushing and 3 takeaways today.

That being said, I don't think Smith played bad today.

4 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

This is not the same Panthers team that went 15-1 in 2016.

A more fair comparison would be this - 

Since the start of 2015, Cousins is 10-0-1 when his team rushed for 100+ yards and got at least 2 takeaways. The average margin of victory was 11.7. The Redskins scored less than 27 points in just 2 of those 11 games. In games where his team rushed for 125+ and got 3+ takeaways, he was 3-0 with an average margin of 13.3, and the team never scored less than 31.

I think it's safe to say that the margin of victory would have been higher with a better QB.

That being said, I don't think Smith played bad today.

The 2016 Panthers went 6-10.

The 15-1 2015 Panthers beat us 44-13 or such.  Cousins had 200 yards and a pick.

2 hours ago, bobafett14 said:

Smith is hot garbage today. Defense and running game carrying him. That's how it was for four seasons in KC and he fooled a lot of people.

PHJ6FWJ.gif

This is so 100% true. Smith has fooled this league for years with his stats when all he can do is check down and once in a blue moon throw a deep ball. He can’t throw an intermediate route to save his life and every single week I get more and more sad after watching cousins highlights on what we could have been. Let the haters hate on me, but I really think we are a serious contender with cousins. Yes that’s old news, and yes I’m behind smith. But fact is, he’s just not that good. Hopefully we’ll have some mediocre years until we finally get a young qb

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The 2016 Panthers went 6-10.

The 15-1 2015 Panthers beat us 44-13 or such.  Cousins had 200 yards and a pick.

Thanks for correcting me. The point remains that Cousins-led teams have historically posted much higher margins of victory and point totals when the rest of the team contributes the way that the Redskins rushing and defense did today.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I wonder how Cousins would have done if he had AP for that game, instead of relying on himself, with 11 yards rushing to lead the team in yards, and YPC.

Or how badly would we have lost today? :huh:

You mean besides his soul-crushing fumble at the 5 yard line on the first play of the 2nd half?

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

You mean besides his soul-crushing fumble at the 5 yard line on the first play of the 2nd half?

No, I was thinking the  97 yards on 17 carries that AP had today, opposed to the 8 yards on 9 carries that Rob Kelly had. I wonder how well Alex would have done with that today.

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I work graveyard shift and games start at 10 AM here, so I had to miss this one. Catching up with Game Pass once it's available. 

How the **** did we score 26 points without CT or Crowder?!

Capitalized on turnovers in the first half.  Peterson ran like the hall of famer he is.  VD with some big catches in the first half.

28 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

This is so 100% true. Smith has fooled this league for years with his stats when all he can do is check down and once in a blue moon throw a deep ball. He can’t throw an intermediate route to save his life and every single week I get more and more sad after watching cousins highlights on what we could have been. Let the haters hate on me, but I really think we are a serious contender with cousins. Yes that’s old news, and yes I’m behind smith. But fact is, he’s just not that good. Hopefully we’ll have some mediocre years until we finally get a young qb

Cousins was here for 6 years, 3 as our starter. And we won exactly ZERO playoff games. The Cousins argument is pointless because he wasnt staying here regardless. He didnt want to be here. But lets not act like we lost Joe Montana when he left.

27 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I wonder how Cousins would have done if he had AP for that game, instead of relying on himself, with 11 yards rushing to lead the team in yards, and YPC.

Or how badly would we have lost today? :huh:

Who knows? How many 4th quarter picks do you think he would have thrown?

I'm going to put 60% of Smith's struggles on Gruden. No preseason snaps and pretty much no snaps with any of his receivers even during practice has led to Smith looking preseason rusty with his receivers during the regular season. They are not in rhythm with each other. The only guy  who practiced in the OTAs and preseason was Richardson and he's doing okay.

I'm not sure if I'm kidding with this post or serious, but I think what I've said above is probably at least fifty percent true. Smith lacks timing, trust, and familiarity with his receivers. I bet part of that is because of how cautious Gruden is with players and how he soft he is during practice.

Edit: and if history is any measure, Cousins would have lost today versus Carolina. He would have tossed an interception, fumbled, or gone three and out. In any case, he'd burn no clock and would not score points. Alex leading us to three wasn't good enough, but it held up.

Archived