Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I know this will come off as crazy but I would really like to see how Colt runs the offense, he's been here long enough to teach it.

No offense to Alex and his followers but I would almost bet he runs the offense better than Alex, almost.

Right now, I’d agree.  But I do expect Alex to get better and for the offense to shift to more of what he does well.  While Alex doesn’t have a laser, he’s surely got more arm than Colt.  But to run Jay’s typical offense, Colt is probably better suited.

16 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I know this will come off as crazy but I would really like to see how Colt runs the offense, he's been here long enough to teach it.

No offense to Alex and his followers but I would almost bet he runs the offense better than Alex, almost.

The problem is he has less arm strength. You see him making the right reads but he can’t get the ball there the way we want. 

Watching Alex in the pocket is frustrating, he is missing a lot of open receivers and seems to have happy feet. He just doesn't seem comfortable in the offense just yet. Im hoping he will get more comfortable with each game, in Kirk's first full year with Gruden, it took him a few games to really be comfortable. 

I really hope that happens because this offense will not be able to do anything if they have to play from behind.

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right now, I’d agree.  But I do expect Alex to get better and for the offense to shift to more of what he does well.  While Alex doesn’t have a laser, he’s surely got more arm than Colt.  But to run Jay’s typical offense, Colt is probably better suited.

I know it has zero chance of actually happening, the team won't give up on Smith until probably mid next year if he's still playing the way he is so he's gonna get his chances, that's pretty much guaranteed.  But when I ask myself who I think would run the offense more effectively, Alex or Colt?

I have a hard time answering with Alex.

It's not about talent, I think every GM in the league would tell you Alex is a more talented QB than Colt but its more about Colt being here for years and establishing himself as a consistent and confident backup who can win a game, even with the wet noodle arm.

It's just a weird set up. 

Most organizations either go with the established Vet QB starter with a young developmental QB in the wings, or they do the inverse, a promising young QB starter with a no-threat Vet backup QB. 

I'd venture a guess that's like 99% of what you see in the modern era. 

This org went with a discarded Vet QB with a no-threat Vet backup. And there's no young development QB. Which is just a little odd. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Well, I think it's obvious he knows the offense better, and he should. I think that Colt would push the ball more, but probably throw more INTS. Colt might be an upgrade. He doesn't have a good arm, but Alex doesn't have a great arm either, but I do think it's marginally better than Colts. As to who would be better..............I do hope it would be Alex. I think he would make less mistakes and take less risks. Colt would take more risks, and likely more INTs, but more big plays passing.

I think the worst thing is that it's not clear cut. And everyone knows that Colt is not Aaron Rodgers sitting on the bench. He's a career backup.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The problem is he has less arm strength. You see him making the right reads but he can’t get the ball there the way we want. 

Alex doesn't have a big arm. I'm not sure how much arm strength you lose with Colt. Alex is more accurate when he is comfortable, but he hasn't been comfortable. I think the big question is how do you make Alex comfortable?

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of the reports in the off season (trying to recall who it was maybe it was Cooley-Sheehan) was that the Redskins promised Alex's agent (during the contract talk) that they wouldn't draft a QB this year in the early rounds.

Terrible promise by idiotic management if true. 

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

McCoy is definitely not the answer

That's not the discussion. It's about asset allocation.

I'm from the future. Alex Smith never wins a championship.

The only thing the pro-Alex guys can celebrate are these type of random, non meaningful, mid-season wins. Happy one week, excuse making the next week. 

So, it's only a matter of time before this organization has to try to get/draft "the QB of the future."

Same would apply for McCoy. No one would be under any kind of delusion that McCoy was the answer. But neither is Smith. 

As opposed to McCoy's cost which is infinitesimal, with Smith there's sunken cost, no equity growing. 

27 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

It's just a weird set up. 

Most organizations either go with the established Vet QB starter with a young developmental QB in the wings, or they do the inverse, a promising young QB starter with a no-threat Vet backup QB. 

I'd venture a guess that's like 99% of what you see in the modern era. 

This org went with a discarded Vet QB with a no-threat Vet backup. And there's no young development QB. Which is just a little odd. 

It is odd.  I think they would have liked a 3rd, young qb to develop, but they didn’t get far on that front.  

18 minutes ago, dyst said:

McCoy is definitely not the answer

Nope. It is an interesting question to pose though (and scary because of it).  

17 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, I think it's obvious he knows the offense better, and he should. I think that Colt would push the ball more, but probably throw more INTS. Colt might be an upgrade. He doesn't have a good arm, but Alex doesn't have a great arm either, but I do think it's marginally better than Colts. As to who would be better..............I do hope it would be Alex. I think he would make less mistakes and take less risks. Colt would take more risks, and likely more INTs, but more big plays passing.

I think the worst thing is that it's not clear cut. And everyone knows that Colt is not Arron Rodgers sitting on the bench. He's a career backup.

Alex doesn't have a big arm. I'm not sure how much arm strength you lose with Colt. Alex is more accurate when he is comfortable, but he hasn't been comfortable. I think the big question is how do you make Alex comfortable?

Yeah, I’d expect Colt to produce more as he’s more likely to 1) trust his receivers, 2) trust that he knows the routes and timing, but I’d also expect him to get sacked and turn the ball over more.  As someone said, Smith’s clearly the better qb, but right now, in this offense... I don’t know which one is a better fit.  

16 minutes ago, dyst said:

Terrible promise by idiotic management if true. 

Yes and no.  If Smith’s agent said “we’re not signing an extension unless you make this promise”... well, their back was kind of against the wall (even if the FO put themselves in that position).  In theory though, a player/agent shouldn’t dictate your future like that.  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I recall is crystal clear, I recall even posting about it at the time.  Pretty sure it was Sheehan/Cooley but I might be recalling the source wrong. 

I believe it. This team is always in win now and has no clue.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

It is odd.  I think they would have liked a 3rd, young qb to develop, but they didn’t get far on that front.  

Nope. It is an interesting question to pose though (and scary because of it).  

Yeah, I’d expect Colt to produce more as he’s more likely to 1) trust his receivers, 2) trust that he knows the routes and timing, but I’d also expect him to get sacked and turn the ball over more.  As someone said, Smith’s clearly the better qb, but right now, in this offense... I don’t know which one is a better fit.  

Yes and no.  If Smith’s agent said “we’re not signing an extension unless you make this promise”... well, their back was kind of against the wall (even if the FO put themselves in that position).  In theory though, a player/agent shouldn’t dictate your future like that.  

I'm not sure if Colt get sacked more. Alex gets sacked quite a bit, and he really does not look comfortable in the pocket. I do think Colt throws more INTs though.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I'm not sure if Colt get sacked more. Alex gets sacked quite a bit, and he really does not look comfortable in the pocket. I do think Colt throws more INTs though.

I forget if it was one of McCoy's games versus the Cowboys, but he had a game a couple years agp which was the perfect encapsulation of his abilities. One drive he'd find the streaking WRs and hit him in stride for a TD. Then the next series he'd bail from the pocket, throw the ball from his back foot, have it bounce off his own head and into the arms of a defender.

It would be comedy but at least entertaining. It would be depressing if he was starter and there was no young QB developing. But it would be understandable if they had drafted a 1st round QB and everyone knew that McCoy was just a placeholder. 

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You could well be right.  I like Smith’s escapability more, but if Colt gets rid of the ball quicker because he’s trusting his eyes/the scheme/receivers...

6 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I forget if it was one of McCoy's games versus the Cowboys, but he had a game a couple years agp which was the perfect encapsulation of his abilities. One drive he'd find the streaking WRs and hit him in stride for a TD. Then the next series he'd bail from the pocket, throw the ball from his back foot, have it bounce off his own head and into the arms of a defender.

It would be comedy but at least entertaining. It would be depressing if he was starter and there was no young QB developing. But it would be understandable if they had drafted a 1st round QB and everyone knew that McCoy was just a placeholder. 

Sounds about right with Colt. And if we had a high draft pick sitting, or if he was starting and the next years QB class looked real good, I'd be ok with it. And knowing that we'd have Guice coming back, and have the ability to sign AP? Yeah, I'd like that.

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

You could well be right.  I like Smith’s escapability more, but if Colt gets rid of the ball quicker because he’s trusting his eyes/the scheme/receivers...

Colt was just as good as a runner as Smith. He is really good when he's outside the pocket.

Edit. Ok, maybe not really good, but that is where Colt is at his best is outside the pocket.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yeah, it’s almost like no one has seen colt play. Alex smith is a journeyman starter, colt is a mediocre backup with a noodle arm. 

Colt would get us closer to the #1 pick so there is that aspect.

10 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sounds about right with Colt. And if we had a high draft pick sitting, or if he was starting and the next years QB class looked real good, I'd be ok with it. And knowing that we'd have Guice coming back, and have the ability to sign AP? Yeah, I'd like that.

Colt was just as good as a runner as Smith. He is really good when he's outside the pocket.

Yeah should be interesting with Guice coming back.  I became infatuated with him from the beginning of the college season last year.  But Peterson, wow.  I think the dude is a one man wrecking crew, and at his age, wow -- imagine this offense without him?  I'd look to bring him back for a 1 two punch with Guice.

And as for Peterson, he's not just a stud RB, but a lead by example-tough player. Popping his dislocated shoulder back, wow. 

Ian Rapoport Retweeted NFL Network

Not saying Adrian Peterson is tough… but he popped his own shoulder back into socket last week. Totally normal ??‍♂️

John KeimVerified account @john_keim 2h2 hours ago

More

Adrian Peterson on playing hurt: "It was definitely mind over matter. It was a game where you got to bite down and put your best foot forward. I had it made up in my mind by Friday that I'm going to give it a go. I know it's going to be painful.. But mind over matter."

Jay Gruden gushed over Adrian Peterson’s 97-yard performance with that painful shoulder injury. “What a pro!” In locker room a team staffer just needed to help Peterson pull his pads over his head. #Redskins

More

Adrian Peterson dealt with shoulder pain on every carry http://bit.ly/2Cezgqk 

DpgWuVKU0AANIP2.jpg

Peterson is a BEAST.

You know what I would do, if I was Gruden? I'd make everyone on the team watch his film.

Every

Body

I would preface every play with; "Now, here is a 33 year old guy playing with a dislocated shoulder and hyper extended knee."

And after each play, I would ask the room; "Are you playing has hard as this 33 year old RB with a dislocated shoulder and hyper extended knee?"

After the film was over, I'd end it with this:

"That's a first ballot HoF running back right there. And you know why? Because he doesn't care if he's hurt or not. He will go out there and give everything he has, on every single play. Watch how he practices. Watch how he plays. Watch how he works."

"And then you go do it."

I remember hearing the rumor about Alex not wanting us to draft a QB but I never took it seriously, just thought it some crazy unverified report.

I would hope after giving him all that guaranteed money we wouldn't accept that demand.

WP article

Win was gutty, yet limitations of an Alex Smith-led offense are starting to show

So much went right. And yet, with less than a minute left in the game, Carolina quarterback Cam Newton had three shots. Gain five yards and get a first down, with enough time to try again. Gain 16 and score the go-ahead touchdown, leaving Washington devastated.

Washington’s defense hung on. But Smith and the offense could have put this away long before any of those histrionics.

“We had a chance to do a lot better,” Coach Jay Gruden said.

That’s the nature of this: survive and improve. They were better, of course, than that embarrassment on Monday night, when they got blown out in New Orleans, 43-19. But offensively, how much better? They gained 283 total yards against the Saints, and Smith was 23 of 39 for 239 yards, no scores and an interception. They gained 288 yards against the Panthers (who ran up 350), and Smith went 21 for 36 for 163 yards, two touchdowns and no picks.

...But the nagging question early in Smith’s stint in Washington is: What if a limited offense led by a limited quarterback ends up being . . . well, limited?

...What we know: Smith is smart enough, experienced enough, disciplined enough and athletic enough to be a winning quarterback in this league — which is what he has been. But in two cases, the team that employed him felt it had a more dynamic option, and moved on — San Francisco to Colin Kaepernick, Kansas City to current “it” boy Patrick Mahomes.

Which puts Washington in the spot of wanting the steady hand Smith can provide, but perhaps needing more than mere steadiness. 

...Their identity will be shaped in large part by Smith. Not because he’s far and away their best player. But because they have no obvious choice for that role, and he plays the most important position. On Monday night, he and his team were rattled and rolled in New Orleans. Sunday, they got up. Smith didn’t stand out in the win. But he didn’t cause a loss.

“He protected the football,” Gruden said, “and did some good things.”

That’s kind of the high-end hope for Smith, isn’t it? Protect the football. Do some good things.

But is that enough to lift an offense, a team, that needs lifting?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/win-was-gutty-yet-limitations-of-an-alex-smith-led-offense-are-starting-to-show/2018/10/14/1a54a210-cfd9-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html?utm_term=.3ce75ae9229b

Archived