Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheUndefeated.com: Champ Bailey, Clinton Portis and their blockbuster trade (MET)

EasternNCbywayofNOVA

10. Adhere to ES policies on using headlines/content from other websites to start a new thread or to add to an existing thread. 
When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources or using any website as part of the topic please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the original page/site. Paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two). Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Name Mike Shanahan New Head Coach). If the source is a blog or a chain e-mail, put "blog" or "chain e-mail" at the beginning of the thread title.

Please see our copyright statement.

If you're adding content from any website to an existing thread, do not post large sections of that content. Just post the link and a brief section that is relevant to the point the content is intended to support.

On 3/2/2018 at 5:11 PM, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

“I wasn’t surprised,” Bailey said. “I knew [Washington] didn’t want to re-sign me.”

Champ has a twisted view on actual events......and here is the ES thread covering that......... 

21 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I can believe it. It happened with my family, we moved every time my dad got into trouble with a woman. It doesn't surprise me.

You are not a NFL star.  This stuff would spread like wildfire on social media

I'm not so sure the Broncos slam dunk won the trade. I mean, pound for pound, they got more value out of the deal, as Bailey ended up being better at his position longer than Portis was at his. BUT, did Bailey ever carry a team the way Portis carried this limping offense at the end of the 05 and 07 seasons?

In the end, it was a pretty good deal for both teams, although it sucked we had to give up a 2nd(even though the Broncos took a bust with that pick, you never know what we could have done with it...). 14 years later and Snyder still likes throwing valuable draft picks into trades.

5 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

I keep hearing about that rumor and have to admit i dont think it's real.  That didnt happpen in pre-smartphone era.  A cheating scandal is something hard to hide 

Looking back I think the rumor is bunk. This board has a history of pro-redskin fake news. The one I remember the most is that this board kept pushing that there was no problem with Haynesworth, that it was all a media fabrication. Well we all know how that turned out.

Whether the rumor was true or not, we got taken to the woodshed. The best player at a premium position for a very good one cut, zone scheme RB who we were going to ask to gain 20 lbs and completely change his style... PLUS A 2nd ROUND PICK?!?!?

And I do appreciate what Portis accomplished here on the field (not so much his role in the culture we’ve fostered under Snyder) but it’s just one more example of how our administration, under Dan, has absolutely no ****ing clue how to build a team and just looks at players like they are generic Madden attributes rather than actual humans with strengths & weaknesses in their skill set or the ability to play better or worse based on motivation.

18 hours ago, 8181 said:

Looking back I think the rumor is bunk. This board has a history of pro-redskin fake news. The one I remember the most is that this board kept pushing that there was no problem with Haynesworth, that it was all a media fabrication. Well we all know how that turned out.

And several members would like to keep it that way! :ols:

It's interesting that fluff pieces are chock full of interesting material and negative news is media fabrication to some folks.  Even though we'll soon be rolling into the 3rd decade under this ownership and the results align with much of the negative news.

I was always a little disappointed cuz we lost a guy that will end up going to the HOF in another uniform.  

In the time since Darrell Green retired, I dont think we've had a HoF caliber player with any real chance to get in, that would go in as a Redskin anyway.

If the trade had been Champ for CP alone, we would be talking a slam dunk for the Redskins. CP was the offense in 2004 and was a huge catalyst behind playoff runs in 2005 and 2007.  When he missed much of 2006, we stumbled big time.  He also was much of the offense in 2008, and had we been just a little better in other departments, we would have been a playoff team that year.  We really stumbled hard in 2009, and though CP was aging and admits he no longer really had the heart (due to the Taylor murder as much as anything from what I understand), he again missed the lion's share of that season. That said, the second really hurt us.  Had we not thrown in the 2, we would have had a natural pick for Cooley and might have been able to trade back and still got him.  If we had a natural pick or, better a trade back, we would have not had to sell the 2006 draft to get Campbell.

Also, as good as CP was, hindsight tells me the Jets offered us a much better deal.  We'd have had another high pick in the first that could have been Stephen Jackson.  We also would have had some other picks including a natural picks for the likes of Cooley and Schaub (or better ammo to go after Campbell that would not have hurt as bad). Of course, a lot of this hindsight is based on also making the right choices in the draft (something I would not bet on). In some ways, this move was part of the two major personnel mistakes Gibbs made in year 1 (he also made another when he let Clark walk and went with Gregg's advice).

I have a unique piece of memorabilia from this trade.

Champ was one of my favorite players and I had purchased the 70th anniversary throwback jersey of his.

After the trade, Portis happened to be doing a charity signing event in Richmond at Circuit City during the summer.

I waited in line and got a photo with him and signed football. After the photo I asked him about the trade and if he would consider signing my Champ jersey to kind of memorialize the trade. He laughed and was a good sport about it and signed it.

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

IWhen he missed much of 2006, we stumbled big time. 

My disagreement with this statement is why I think we lost the trade and lost it badly...

In 9 starts and spot duty in the other games, Betts averaged 4.7 yards per carry and rushed for over 1,100 yards. He was a monster with that offensive line. Admittedly, he wasn't as talented as Portis (despite clearly being better that season...though injury could have been a factor). My point? With the OL we had during Gibbs 2, we didn't need a Portis-caliber player to run the ball. In fact, nothing Portis ever did in Gibbs' scheme ever approached the 4.7 yards per carry Betts had in 2006. 

I think we could have had a comparable running game, a HOF CB, and another 2nd round pick/impact player if we didn't make that trade with Denver. 

26 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My disagreement with this statement is why I think we lost the trade and lost it badly...

In 9 starts and spot duty in the other games, Betts averaged 4.7 yards per carry and rushed for over 1,100 yards. He was a monster with that offensive line. Admittedly, he wasn't as talented as Portis (despite clearly being better that season...though injury could have been a factor). My point? With the OL we had during Gibbs 2, we didn't need a Portis-caliber player to run the ball. In fact, nothing Portis ever did in Gibbs' scheme ever approached the 4.7 yards per carry Betts had in 2006. 

I think we could have had a comparable running game, a HOF CB, and another 2nd round pick/impact player if we didn't make that trade with Denver. 

My disagreement here is that you are only thinking in terms of that 4.7 yards per carry. That is only part of what makes a RB great.  Portis was also the best pass blocker, a much better receiver than many give him credit for and got a lot of sneaky yards.  Overall, it is a fact that we failed big in 2006 and won 3 of the 7 games were he played significant time.  In 2008, I don't think you can argue that we went 6-2 with a healthy Portis and went 2-6 with a banged up CP who kept getting tries mostly because we had nothing else on offense. In 2009, we went 2-5 in games were CP got significant time. 

The offensive line?  Maybe top heavy but it had no depth. Jansen was no where near who he was before his Achilles and from 2005 to 2008 was not the RT he was from 1999 to 2003. 2006 was probably the only year we really had a good offensive line during the CP period. In 2007, Jansen played a grand total of one game and Todd Wade ended up starting most games. That line also included Fabini pressed into service when a breaking down Randy Thomas was lost in the third game, a decent but journeyed and aging Pete Kendall and a Casey Rabach who was already a whipping boy by that time. The only year where CP ran behind an arguably good starting o-line was 2005. In 2008, only Chris Samuels was a really exceptional o-lineman while most of the other guys starting were old and breaking down.

In any case, it was not a slam dunk win for Denver except for the fact they also got our number two from us (albeit they didn't do much with it).

With a clear mind, it's pretty obvious that the Broncos got the better end on this trade. Both players were in their prime. Champ was great here and Portis was great with the Broncos. Where the trade goes south is after the players swap places...

Bailey got better. He made more pro-bowls, became a legit shut down corner, arguably the best at this position and is more likely to make the hall of fame compared to Portis. On the flip side, Portis' TDs decreased as this his YPG and average per attempt. But forget all that for a second. 

So not only did we trade a shut down corner in the prime of his career (who went on to play better for the Broncos), but we also gave away a 2nd round pick. How the heck do we swap players AND give up a high draft pick like that. Maybe 6 or 7 but a 2nd? Yea we lost that one.

There was a reddit post on it as well. Funny, if its true that the FO was hog tied with the situation, seems they made the best of it. Throwing in the 2nd rounder, you wonder if Denver knew about the rumors as well and forced their hand. Otherwise we risk losing Champ and getting NOTHING for him. So easy to criticize when your looking from the outside..

As for the result, you really can't complain, Portis was our best most consistent back since Riggo, and arguably the best RB in Redskin history, had he started his career here. There wasn't anything he couldn't do.. Riggo was the Diesel and helped get us our first SB title. 

And Denver never had to worry about their CB position for over a decade with Champ. 

Archived