Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheUndefeated.com: Champ Bailey, Clinton Portis and their blockbuster trade (MET)

EasternNCbywayofNOVA

42 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

My disagreement here is that you are only thinking in terms of that 4.7 yards per carry. That is only part of what makes a RB great.  Portis was also the best pass blocker, a much better receiver than many give him credit for and got a lot of sneaky yards.  Overall, it is a fact that we failed big in 2006 and won 3 of the 7 games were he played significant time.  In 2008, I don't think you can argue that we went 6-2 with a healthy Portis and went 2-6 with a banged up CP who kept getting tries mostly because we had nothing else on offense. In 2009, we went 2-5 in games were CP got significant time. 

The offensive line?  Maybe top heavy but it had no depth. Jansen was no where near who he was before his Achilles and from 2005 to 2008 was not the RT he was from 1999 to 2003. 2006 was probably the only year we really had a good offensive line during the CP period. In 2007, Jansen played a grand total of one game and Todd Wade ended up starting most games. That line also included Fabini pressed into service when a breaking down Randy Thomas was lost in the third game, a decent but journeyed and aging Pete Kendall and a Casey Rabach who was already a whipping boy by that time. The only year where CP ran behind an arguably good starting o-line was 2005. In 2008, only Chris Samuels was a really exceptional o-lineman while most of the other guys starting were old and breaking down.

In any case, it was not a slam dunk win for Denver except for the fact they also got our number two from us (albeit they didn't do much with it).

I mean, if we're going down to the level of pass blocking and a couple catches per game (he averaged 2 per game played) and pass blocking then we're acknowledging that they are comparable as running backs. 

In the end, a slightly worse RB plus Champ and a 2nd feels better to me than just Portis, but I can't really quantify that. 

If Portis played in a ZBS his entire career, this is probably a different discussion cuz he'd be headed to the HoF too.  

He lost some explosion and quickness by putting on 15-20 lbs to hold up in Gibbs system. You have a natural 205lb guy and bulk him up to run headfirst into the line and absorb an additional 70 or so touches a season.  

Just for fun, if Portis played in a system less tough on RB longevity, he'd probably be up there in the top 5 on the all time rushing list.

Archived